What the Heck was wrong with Teyla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the Heck was wrong with Teyla

I would like to know what the heck Teyla was thinking when Carson came to her aid and told her to run. Instead she stands there and says she has to save Ka'Non (spelling ?). I mean what is wrong with her? Michael has just injected her child with some unknown substance and he wants her child for his experiments. HER FIRST PRIORITY IS THE BABY . . . HELLO! This was so out of character for her. She should have run as Carson had asked her and go back to Atlantis to find out what was injected into her belly and THEN . . . take care of Ka'Non. I know there was a glimmer of the guy in there somewhere, but sheesh, you don't think he would have told her run as fast as she can and then if there was still some hope, come back and find him.

I don't think she was thinking straight at that point, what with a dead friend coming back to life out of the blue trying to take you away.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogirl5 View Post
      I would like to know what the heck Teyla was thinking when Carson came to her aid and told her to run. Instead she stands there and says she has to save Ka'Non (spelling ?). I mean what is wrong with her? Michael has just injected her child with some unknown substance and he wants her child for his experiments. HER FIRST PRIORITY IS THE BABY . . . HELLO! This was so out of character for her. She should have run as Carson had asked her and go back to Atlantis to find out what was injected into her belly and THEN . . . take care of Ka'Non. I know there was a glimmer of the guy in there somewhere, but sheesh, you don't think he would have told her run as fast as she can and then if there was still some hope, come back and find him.
      I dare say Teyla was probably a bit freaked at someone who was dead and buried suddenly showing up like nothing happened.... it's obvious she must love Kaanan and that's why she didn't want to abandon him to Michael. Love makes you do stupid and silly things.

Comment

i agree she should have thought of her child

Comment

Its the leather pants there constircting the blood flow a impairing her judgement. Who decided to put leather pants on a women in late term pregancy? stupidity!!

Comment

Of course Teyla wanted to save Kanaan. The man is the father of her child and obviously someone that she loves deeply so she wanted to find him and bring him back to Atlantis so that they could cure him.

Personally though I wish we could have seen at least something about Kanaan last season so that we could get more of the feel for this deep emotional attachement that she has for him. It just seems way to abrupt the way they introduced him and we're supposed accept that he's someone that Teyla has been romantically involved with for quite some time.
            sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

People do very strange things when love is involved.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I think her being devoted to Kanaan to such an extent that she would allow Micheal to continue doing whatever he wanted with her child might have been believable if they hadn't just pulled Kanaan out of nowhere. At this point we have seen a) Teyla saying she cares about him a lot and b) him standing around staring blankly and saying cheesy lines. At this point I'd believe her having such commitment to Halling more so than Kanaan. It was pretty ridiculous. Then again, she does consistently seem to prioritize duty over motherhood. I have no qualms with that. It's just the fact that she's always saying stuff about how much she wants to protect the child and then doing the thing that directly puts it in danger. Maybe that's her character now? If Teyla is going to be wishy-washy, that's fine with me too. Just make it clear.

Comment

Maybe what ever was in the injection is affecting her thinking. Realistically could a very heavily pregnant women out run a wraith?

Comment

I think she was in shock, huge shock and then people make irracional decisions
                    sigpic
                    sig thanks to Luci

Comment

Originally posted by shrap View Post
                      Maybe what ever was in the injection is affecting her thinking. Realistically could a very heavily pregnant women out run a wraith?
                      She could probably do that a lot easier than mounting a one-woman rescue operation.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

As a mother I find the role they have given Teyla very hard to understand. Most (and yes, this is a generalisation, there will be exceptions but this is what I personally find difficult) mothers would put the child first and most mothers would do everything possible to get their unborn child away. I could understand if she fought and struggled but lost, but not to try?

Obviously the character will be thrown, even dumbfounded, by the appearance of Carson. It's not every day that you're rescued by a dead friend! However, Carson was someone she'd always trusted and Kanaan is hardly himself anymore - sure instinct would be to chance going with Carson?

This may be the only way the writers could see to the plot point they wanted but I would have found it more believable if Teyla had struggled, fought and tried to flee but lost because she is so advanced in her pregnancy.
                        Mircalla

'Never tremble with a newt'

Comment

The key scene here is that Kanaan showed he was able to fight his programming for a moment earlier on in the episode, thereby giving Teyla notice that the man she loved was still in there somewhere.

And also remember how Athosian women treat pregnencies differently than Earth women; they don't treat it as if it's THAT big a deal that it makes them completely helpless.

Comment

If she were as over-protective of her baby as you want her to be she would never have been out there looking for her people or babydaddy in the first place. Teylas alot of things besides just a mom, shes a woman looking for her mate, shes a leader looking for her people, shes a soilder fighting for her race against a galaxy. More importantly a dead fried showed up with a weapon and tried to lead her off in hostile territory after beign experiment on, she freaked, then she settled down, then she wanted to go back for the rest of her family. Thats realistic.

Comment

The first question is what was Teyla doing alone in the first place? Michael had her under heavy guard (well, two guards plus himself) when he was taking her to his ship, but when Carson finds her she's heading in the direction he just came from. So, what, she was sleepwalking down the corridor while everyone was busy prepping the ship and then Carson woke her up and she realized she'd wandered away and needed to get back to Kanaan?

It's a pity we didn't have a little connective scene to explain how she got there. Personally I'm going to imagine that Kanaan took advantage of Michael's distraction with launch procedures to knock out the other guard and order Teyla to flee. "Save our child!" Which makes her refusal to do so even more moronic, but at least supports her own flimsy reasoning about needing to go back for him. After all, if he can fight back against Michael's control, maybe she can save him!

Of course, that still doesn't explain why she didn't let herself be rescued, get herself and her baby checked out and then rejoin the team to go find her boyfriend. Granted, Team Atlantis hasn't exactly been supportive of her or her people (they humored her about her visions of Kanaan rather than flat-out believing her and I dunno if they've been trying very hard to find the Athosians but they spent the first few seasons trying like hell to get rid of them) but within the context of the show she believes in her teammates and thinks they'll support her, so why not rely on them NOW to continue the hunt? So what if Michael takes off in his ship for parts unknown? Atlantis can use its resources (including Todd) to track him down again, especially now that they have an active reason to do so. Multiple reasons, if you factor in his responsibility for the "plague."

What are they going to do, blame her hormones and say she wasn't thinking clearly when she decided to risk the life of her unborn baby in order to try and find her lover? A lover currently under the thrall of a being whom she knows wants her child for his own dark purposes?

Comment

Working...
                              X