302 weapons question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 weapons question

Quick question about the weapons aboard the 302, I personally had thought that it was only equipped with missiles, but in the epsiode SGA season 2 Episode 2 "The Intruder"

Spoiler:
    When Sheppard fires on the communications array, he uses what looks a bit like an energy based weapon...

Any clues to a place where the weapons capabilities of the 302 are explained? preferably inside the show?

Its a small railgun.

Comment

I thought it was just a regular old gun, like what's used on modern jet fighters and such.
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

The 302 moves faster than 20mm rounds would fire out of the barrel (guessing)

the sound effect used sounds like a railgun firing plus it would carry far more ammunition if it were a railgun...endurance is everything in a dogfight..

I never understood why they didn't install a GUNPOD like did for the F-4 Phantom on center fuelage.

Comment

Originally posted by Milleniumlance View Post
          The 302 moves faster than 20mm rounds would fire out of the barrel (guessing)
          Just means the rounds would be fired out of the barrel at the speed of the 302+ the speed of the round.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguinarmy View Post
            Just means the rounds would be fired out of the barrel at the speed of the 302+ the speed of the round.

no it wouldnt, the bullets would come out at their normal speed, only for the 302 to slam right into the back of them, since it travels faster then they do (alot faster) aswell.

It was 2 mini rail guns on the 302, along the other weapon ( missiles)

Comment

Originally posted by Supergateship1 View Post
              no it wouldnt, the bullets would come out at their normal speed, only for the 302 to slam right into the back of them, since it travels faster then they do (alot faster) aswell.

In space speed is relative so no, the bullets would be going the 302's speed + however fast they are propelled.

AFAIK there has been no canon references to railguns on the 302's

Comment

yeah they never said if railguns were installed on the 302's.

It may as well be regular aa guns used on airplanes today.
                Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by Supergateship1 View Post

Methinks maybe you should have a chat with Mr. Newton.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Comment

Most likely judging from the firing rate, and where the weapons appeared to be comming from, I would conclude that it is a pair of 20mm cannons placed into the wing root right under the forward cockpit. These aren't the vulcan miniguns that spew at 3000 rpm as that would have probably disentirgrated that antenna for all intents and purposes.
                    Now for anyone that says guns can't fire in space, let me refer you to Salyut 3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salyut_3
                    and for a non-wikipedia link: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/almaz_ops2.html
                    Last edited by Zatnikitelman; 28 February 2008, 03:51 PM. Reason: Left off a 0
                    When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                    Zatnikitelman

Comment

They've got to be cannons a rail gun might be to big and suck to much power.
                      Last edited by FN-P90; 29 February 2008, 05:06 PM.
                      Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Yea, jet planes aren't exactly flying ZPMs Railguns require lotsa power!
                        Last edited by Zatnikitelman; 28 February 2008, 03:52 PM. Reason: Added capital letter
                        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                        Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                          Yea, jet planes aren't exactly flying ZPMs Railguns require lotsa power!
                          You mean like what you could probably obtain from a naquada reactor?

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                            You mean like what you could probably obtain from a naquada reactor?
                            They only have railguns in such an effect in stargate due to 2 things naqauda - for the immense power needed and trinium - for the rail material as it needs to be incredibly strong and durable which it is, you could quiet easily take the old naqadriah reactor and hyperdrive out and replace it with naqadah reactor to power the rail.

For whoever said a bullet would hit the F-302 its a matter of fact, we use cannons and machine guns on modern day planes you can fire a cannon outa it at mach 1 and it wont blow you up were as if you speed up after the bullet has been fired and you speed up you will most likely be able to hit it again.
                            if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Working...
                            X