Daedalus-class Shields #SPOILERS#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daedalus-class Shields #SPOILERS#

Okay, I have a question concerning the shields on Daedalus-class ships. We know from "Unending" that the Asgard upgraded the Odyssey with "the latest Asgard technology," and this no doubt includes shield modifications beyond what we had previously.

So my question is this; can our shields get any better? I've heard people argue that McKay upgraded them in "Tao of Rodney," but that was never said or even hinted at onscreen canonically, so that's a major speculative leap. And besides, we know the Apollo and Daedalus got the shield upgrades when they got the Asgard refit in mid-Season 4, so whatever modifications McKay made to the old shields would now be useless (different operating system, so-to-speak). And I doubt he could tweak them to work again, considering he could only make heads or tails of his own work when he was half-ascended; once he returned to normal it was light-years beyond him.

Thoughts?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

I don't think the modifications were all that great. Even though he was a super genius he wasn't for long I doubt he could have come up with something more powerful then anything Asgard or Ancient. Likely they were just a minor upgrade to what we already had.

Comment

I had a theory that McKays upgrade was actually a way of distributing the power more effectively. (more power equal better shields) He really didn't change anything except how the power was transfered to the shields imo.

Comment

He did say to have hermiod take a look at it. Maybe hermiod passed on the idea to thor or something and then thor factored that into the new shields they gave the odyssey and earth.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
          He did say to have hermiod take a look at it. Maybe hermiod passed on the idea to thor or something and then thor factored that into the new shields they gave the odyssey and earth.
          Oh, I like that idea... but we can't really say it's more than speculation since we never saw it onscreen. That's too bad, as that would have tied the end of SG-1 with Atlantis, possibly prompting those that thought "The Pegasus Project" looked interesting to give it another go.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            Oh, I like that idea... but we can't really say it's more than speculation since we never saw it onscreen. That's too bad, as that would have tied the end of SG-1 with Atlantis, possibly prompting those that thought "The Pegasus Project" looked interesting to give it another go.

Well That woukd explain a little bit. but i doubt that McKay was a smart as an Asgard, even when he was a super Genius.
            What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

didnt mckay say something about better power transfer or boost or something nothing about shields or design
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cap.Dylan Hunt View Post
                Well That woukd explain a little bit. but i doubt that McKay was a smart as an Asgard, even when he was a super Genius.
                i think Mckay would have been a lot smarter but he did not have time to learn all he could or time to build anything better

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                  didnt mckay say something about better power transfer or boost or something nothing about shields or design
                  better power transfer was for atlantis. i cant remmber him saying it about the Daedalus apart from shields. but you could be right i have not seen it for a while

Comment

I'm not sure how powerfu lthe upgrades are. So the modifications could have made the shields better. Even better than the upgrades but now we wont know that until much later in the show or never. But it's a good thought to bring up. You never know, the writers said that they regualer this site and sometimes use it for episodes. If you make a point of making it know this maybe and just maybe it could affect an episode in the future.
                    sigpic
                    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Obivously McKay at that point was smarter than any Asgard, none Ascended Ancient or Ori alive. Instead of Ascending like everybody else, McKay concentrated on science.

As for his shield upgrades, they should have been installed, since they were given to Hermoid. Upgrading already superb Asgard shielding. In Season 4, 304's shields changed color, became white like the Ori. Odyssey lasted forever against Ori in AoT.

So, without a doubt, 304's have the best shields out there for none Atlantis city ships. Obviously a ZPM would get it to 100% like the Odysseys. Hell, they are even better than Ori shields (specs given by Ascended beings no less!).

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                        Obivously McKay at that point was smarter than any Asgard, none Ascended Ancient or Ori alive. Instead of Ascending like everybody else, McKay concentrated on science.

As for his shield upgrades, they should have been installed, since they were given to Hermoid. Upgrading already superb Asgard shielding. In Season 4, 304's shields changed color, became white like the Ori. Odyssey lasted forever against Ori in AoT.

So, without a doubt, 304's have the best shields out there for none Atlantis city ships. Obviously a ZPM would get it to 100% like the Odysseys. Hell, they are even better than Ori shields (specs given by Ascended beings no less!).
                        What makes you think they are better than Ori shields? Have you ever seen an Asgard beam weapon fired on a 304s shielding? How about an Ori main weapon fired into Ori shielding? Until we get things like that to compare relative strengths, we have no idea on that particular aspect of things.

And, as has been pointed out by a few others on this forum and the writer blogs, TPTB (I believe it was JM) answered a question a few months ago on the subject of shield colors; it has nothing to do with strength and is merely decided upon by which color best suits the ship.

And several CGI things change from season to season; ship size, weapon color, shield color, etc. There's nothing concrete about anything CGI's that's changed unless it is backed up by dialogue. Therefore, until someone says that McKay's (experimental, might I add) shield modifications were used, it's not true. And Hermiod having the mods doesn't mean he installed them... remember, he would only be on the ship for another few weeks before he returned to Ida for the events of "Unending."

As for the AoT thing:
                        Spoiler:
                        The Replicators had control of the ship at that point, and we know that the first thing they do on a boarded ship is modify it's systems. It's highly probable, bordering on certain, that they would have upgraded the ship's shielding.

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                          I'm not sure how powerfu lthe upgrades are. So the modifications could have made the shields better. Even better than the upgrades but now we wont know that until much later in the show or never. But it's a good thought to bring up. You never know, the writers said that they regualer this site and sometimes use it for episodes. If you make a point of making it know this maybe and just maybe it could affect an episode in the future.
                          He said they were to boost the Daedalus' shield strength.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post

As for the AoT thing:
                            Spoiler:
                            The Replicators had control of the ship at that point, and we know that the first thing they do on a boarded ship is modify it's systems. It's highly probable, bordering on certain, that they would have upgraded the ship's shielding.
                            wow, that means that we now have the best ship out there, did you see the ship it lasted like 30 ori beam hits
                            if only we can either reproduce what the replicators did, or make the replicators put them on our ships for like 30 minutes have them improve our ships then disable them =D
                            but one thing about that idea is that the replicators only had the knowledge given to them by the asgard computer core
                            Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                            Anime signature in spoiler tag
                            Spoiler:
                            Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
                              wow, that means that we now have the best ship out there, did you see the ship it lasted like 30 ori beam hits
                              if only we can either reproduce what the replicators did, or make the replicators put them on our ships for like 30 minutes have them improve our ships then disable them =D
                              but one thing about that idea is that the replicators only had the knowledge given to them by the asgard computer core
                              I don't remember hearing anyone say that; it was my impression that this was just a normal Replicator they created, only with the cipher pre-in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X