Tollan Ion Cannons, do we need them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After seeing the tollan's ion cannons i began to think if they would be affective weapons for the Daedlus Class ships.
    Last edited by FN-P90; 26 February 2008, 01:27 PM.
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

the goa'uld did find an effective defense against them so probably not. They may work against the wraith though.

Spoiler:
    But why bother since we already have those asgard beams?
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Why would we even need them when we have the asguard beam weapons?

Comment

The more weapons we have the better off we'd be. They are an effective (well used to be) pulse weapon that would be good for planetary defence or possibly as a close in weapon for the 304s.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
          Nope. They are utter crap, like all other Tollan technology.

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri
            huh the phasing tech could provide a tactical advantage on the field

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
              Okay... they had doomsday bombs equalling our best naquadah-enhanced nukes, phase-shifting technology, could build their own stargates, and could deactivate any sidearms in an entire complex with the switch of a button... what about that list is "crap"?

Besides, I've been thinking about the ion cannons lately... a few modifications to the particular pulse wavelength they're using could make them effective again; I'm sure the Carter/McKay duo could crank up the effectiveness of the system given a little time (and don't we have the blueprints from "Between Two Fires"?
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119
                Besides, I've been thinking about the ion cannons lately... a few modifications to the particular pulse wavelength they're using could make them effective again; I'm sure the Carter/McKay duo could crank up the effectiveness of the system given a little time (and don't we have the blueprints from "Between Two Fires"?
                the solution is probably more complicated than that (assuming it even exists)
                if the tollans couldn't do it then it's doubtful a bunch of "primitives" could

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                  The Tollan didn't really have time... Anubis showed up, attacked, demanded payment, and then kept watching them. What could they do? If they tried to modify the cannons at all, Anubis would no doubt hear about it and wipe them out.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The Tollan wouldn't of had time to come up with a solution. I also think that the cannons were built by the Nox so they might not of known how to upgrade them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
                      The Tollan wouldn't of had time to come up with a solution. I also think that the cannons were built by the Nox so they might not of known how to upgrade them.
                      The Nox abhore weaponry, remember? Lya didn't even like hiding it, let alone firing it. Why would they build them? All evidence points to the Tollan constructing them.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119
                        The Tollan didn't really have time... Anubis showed up, attacked, demanded payment, and then kept watching them. What could they do?
                        sam> "Wait a second … This makes no sense. It says: 'Despite their attack, the ship left peacefully'"

[later]

sam> "sorry, Narim. That just doesn’t add up. A Goa'uld would never drop by just so you could check his new shield technology and then go away to give your people time to build a weapon to penetrate it"

=> they had ample time to upgrade their guns, let alone change a simple parameter like pulse or frequency or whatever (assuming that would've sufficed, which again is doubtful)

If they tried to modify the cannons at all, Anubis would no doubt hear about it and wipe them out.
                        we know Anubis was half-ascended but somehow I doubt he was omnipresent or omniscient

Originally posted by Zalenka
                        I also think that the cannons were built by the Nox so they might not of known how to upgrade them.
                        the nox building weapons ?

Comment

nox building weapons ?
                          It is essentially a defensive weapon. Maybe the Nox gave them rules of use like the Asgard gave us with beaming weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Zalenka
                            It is essentially a defensive weapon. Maybe the Nox gave them rules of use like the Asgard gave us with beaming weapons.
                            nox engineer> "this is a powerful weapon - just one rule : do not use it to inflict harm"

lol

edit> oh and the primary use of beaming tech is to transport things. kinda differs from a true weapon

Comment

nox engineer> "this is a powerful weapon - just one rule : do not use it to inflict harm"

lol

edit> oh and the primary use of beaming tech is to transport things. kinda differs from a true weapon
                              They could of said

"Do not put it on your ships, leave it on your planet. Use for defence only"

Comment

Working...
                              X