Stargate : State of official canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate : State of official canon

Just wondering if people know where to find quotes about what TPTB consider canon.

I know for sure that both Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis are canon. The movie is in some kind of lower canon, which means it fits, and any bit that's contradicted by the show is dismissed.

Stargate: Infinities was never considered canon. The various books written, guides, magazines and all that are not canon either.

The RPG guides published by Alderac were canon (albeit a lower one I believe), before their licence wasn't renewed and felt in a status of non canon.

There are those audio stories featuring two major characters each, some with the voices of Shanks for example, and I wonder if those will be canon.

The various locations of the coming MMORPG game Stargate: Worlds will be canon.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

I think its pretty much as you said with the RPG, books, perhaps even the MMORPG and other such material being considered in the same category as Trek books, RPG and games. Basically not exactly 100% canon but as long as it does not conflict then its ok.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
      I think its pretty much as you said with the RPG, books, perhaps even the MMORPG and other such material being considered in the same category as Trek books, RPG and games. Basically not exactly 100% canon but as long as it does not conflict then its ok.
      This is not what I said, though. I only described the movie as secondary canon, and all other sources as either higher canon, or not canon at all.
      I think even those who write the books know their stories are not canon in the slightest, know that their material will be ignored if needed, and generally not used at all as background material. That's what I got by reading authors' comments.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I wouldn't put the RPG as canon too high, because they said Ra was an Evil Asgard or something to that effect to explain why he looked different when the bomb blew up in his face.

what exactly are you asking again in this thread?
        Visit my Website

Comment

SG-1 and Atlantis are canon, along with the movies and the various storylines of Stargate Worlds. The movie is best used as a reference point, as the events of it did happen in the SG universe just not exactly how they were portrayed in the movie. Other than that I don't think anything else is canon, the Stargate Alliance storyline probably would have been, if it had not been scrapped.

*edit*

And no, the audio stories won't be canon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
            This is not what I said, though. I only described the movie as secondary canon, and all other sources as either higher canon, or not canon at all.
            I think even those who write the books know their stories are not canon in the slightest, know that their material will be ignored if needed, and generally not used at all as background material. That's what I got by reading authors' comments.
            Canon I would say then is just SG-1, Atlantis and the new movies.

Movie is semi canon but you have to take SG-1 into consideration so instead of Abydos being in Kalium galaxy its in the Milky Way

The games and RPG arent canon either I believe, I know its been said by the makers that they are but even if they are they far simply secondary canon and won't be accepted in most debates. Essentially, using such material would be like debating Startrek and using information on Romulan society from the RPG and games to debate which won't be accepted by other people.

Books and Infinity arent canon at all.

That is how I believe it is. In the end though if you like using the term kara kesh and using these material then thats fine but in terms of debates I think most people would disregard such stuff. Personally, I quite liked some of the stuff from the books and rpg but meh.

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
            I wouldn't put the RPG as canon too high, because they said Ra was an Evil Asgard or something to that effect to explain why he looked different when the bomb blew up in his face.

what exactly are you asking again in this thread?
            I believe the RPG said that Ra managed to take over an Asgard before he was defeated to explain his appearance at the end of the movie.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
              Canon I would say then is just SG-1, Atlantis and the new movies.

Movie is semi canon but you have to take SG-1 into consideration so instead of Abydos being in Kalium galaxy its in the Milky Way

The games and RPG arent canon either I believe, I know its been said by the makers that they are but even if they are they far simply secondary canon and won't be accepted in most debates. Essentially, using such material would be like debating Startrek and using information on Romulan society from the RPG and games to debate which won't be accepted by other people.

Books and Infinity arent canon at all.

That is how I believe it is. In the end though if you like using the term kara kesh and using these material then thats fine but in terms of debates I think most people would disregard such stuff. Personally, I quite liked some of the stuff from the books and rpg but meh.

I believe the RPG said that Ra managed to take over an Asgard before he was defeated to explain his appearance at the end of the movie.
              Stargate Worlds is 100% canon, this has been confirmed by the makers of the game and the producers of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                The movie is in some kind of lower canon, which means it fits, and any bit that's contradicted by the show is dismissed.
                what parts of the movie would be contradicted by the series ?
                personally I consider the movie an episode 0 & as such just as canon as the following episodes

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                  what parts of the movie would be contradicted by the series ?
                  personally I consider the movie an episode 0 & as such just as canon as the following episodes
                  In the movie, Abydos was in the Kalium galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                    In the movie, Abydos was in the Kalium galaxy.
                    damn, yeah the other side of the universe - I'd almost forgotten about that part
                    a pity they weren't planning a series at that time

edit> maybe the probe sent erroneous readings ^^
                    Last edited by SoulReaver; 27 February 2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      Stargate Worlds is 100% canon, this has been confirmed by the makers of the game and the producers of the show.
                      As far as I recall, only the worlds were said to be considered canon. The worlds are certainly the most static elements of the game, so once established, they represent a reliable source of material. Even if the game allows them to evolve, their prime default state is what is going to be considered true. Any modification brought by players on a server will have no relevance on Stargate canon. It's impossible for the contrary to be correct.

Comment

As far as I recall, only the worlds were said to be considered canon. The worlds are certainly the most static elements of the game, so once established, they represent a reliable source of material. Even if the game allows them to evolve, their prime default state is what is going to be considered true. Any modification brought by players on a server will have no relevance on Stargate canon. It's impossible for the contrary to be correct.
                        I'm talking about the storyline of the game. I'm not suggesting that everything that every single player does will be considered canon, but it is story based after all, and those arcs will be canon. In fact Rob Cooper has already pitched a movie to MGM that will use an OPCORE character.

Comment

I'm talking about the storyline of the game. I'm not suggesting that everything that every single player does will be considered canon, but it is story based after all, and those arcs will be canon. In fact Rob Cooper has already pitched a movie to MGM that will use an OPCORE character.
                          Source? Not that I doubt you its just I am interested in hearing more about this.

Comment

Good. I wonder why the games' stories would be considered canon, and not the more elaborate works from the books.

They really should go through all of the books and see if some of them can fit with the canon.

Comment

Good. I wonder why the games' stories would be considered canon, and not the more elaborate works from the books.

They really should go through all of the books and see if some of them can fit with the canon.
                              I think it has a lot to do with MGM, they really want the fans of the show to get this game, also the makers of the game are in 'almost constant contact' with the producers of the show. By that is think they mean Coop and Wright.

Comment

Working...
                              X