Asgard as Goa'uld Hosts - Technological Advancement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard as Goa'uld Hosts - Technological Advancement

Figured I'd post one of my latest theories on here for discussion.

Over the past few years, many people have speculated as to the explaination for the technological advancement of the Goa'uld, leading ultimately to a certain level of mastery over the Stargate system and its associated hardware (rings, DHDs, Naquadah and crystal based technology, etc). While we know that the Goa'uld originally used the Unas as hosts, we know very little about their development during this time, and the only information we have regarding the Goa'uld taking humans as hosts was provided in the 1994 film Stargate, which is largely inaccurate as far as canon goes.

However, while re-watching some old episodes, I discovered something which could be a potential link between the 1994 film and the series, AND offer an explaination for the development of the Goa'uld.

Firstly, take a look at the depiction of Ra when he first arrived on Earth.

Spoiler:

Many have commented that the picture above is closer to the form of the Asgard in the SG-1 series; however, I noticed a closer resemblance in the franchise.

Spoiler:

For those of you who haven't seen the episode, the above capture shows an earlier physiology of the Asgard (from roughly 30,000 years ago), first shown in the episode "Revelations". According to the episode, the body (held in suspended animation) was dispatched from the Asgard homeworld 30,000 years ago, and drifted in the void between galaxies for the majority of that time due to a navigational failure aboard the ship. Now, many people have taken that to mean that the Asgard didn't posess hyperdrive capability back then, although thinking about it, considering the distance between the Ida galaxy and the Milky Way, they may have simply had the slower form of interstellar hyperdrive (Goa'uld, Wraith, Aurora level etc), and similar lifespans to us (ie, would still take 40 odd years to travel between galaxies, hence the stasis pods).

Anyway, assuming the Asgard used the Stargate system to visit the Milky Way at some point, it's possible they encountered P3X-888 and at least one Asgard was taken over by a symbiote. That symbiote may have been Ra. This would have given him access to vast amounts of knowledge, possibly including the location of Earth (as the Asgard were no doubt aware of it due to their communication with the Ancients), a certain amount of information regarding the Ancients, knowledge about the Stargate network, as well as simple technologies such as hyperdrive, power generation, etc etc. Such knowledge would be MORE than enough to spread out across the galaxy (especially with an army of Unas-host Goa'uld as the muscle of the society), before discovering the human race on Earth and taking the host from the 1994 movie. This would account for the depiction of Ra as seen in the film, AND the description of the Goa'uld as being a "dying race", as the Asgard host may have been deteriorating at a faster rate than human or Unas hosts, as even in their pre-clone state they appeared weaker and less sturdy.

Anyway, it's half 1 and I'm tired, so... discuss!
    Last edited by Dev Corvin; 16 March 2008, 02:19 PM.

Bump. Just came off moderation so now I'm giving this thread a shot (was on the 3rd page by the time it passed moderation the first time :-P)

Comment

interesting...

i wonder if the older asgard could still reproduce or were they clones
      Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
      Anime signature in spoiler tag
      Spoiler:
      Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

There was an rpg book that said Ra was an asgard taken over by a Goauld. But then they lost their funding and any info isnt canon.

There were several tid bits that were changed to make a tv series. One being the Goauld being snakes.
        Visit my Website

Comment

****.. my whole post got lost.. now i have to type everything again.

Okay, i dont think a Gouald can posses an Asgard, if it were possible, Anubis' would have placed a Goauld in Thor to gain his knowldedge, instead he probed his brain, with some funky looking device. In the movie, i dont think they even mentioned the name "Goauld", the whole Goauld as a snake creature was thought up for the series, as for why..., you guess is as good as mine.

Second that thing, in the first picture look's nothing like the one in the bottom, the similarity you see is due to them both having rather large heads.

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
            ****.. my whole post got lost.. now i have to type everything again.

Okay, i dont think a Gouald can posses an Asgard, if it were possible, Anubis' would have placed a Goauld in Thor to gain his knowldedge, instead he probed his brain, with some funky looking device. In the movie, i dont think they even mentioned the name "Goauld", the whole Goauld as a snake creature was thought up for the series, as for why..., you guess is as good as mine.

Second that thing, in the first picture look's nothing like the one in the bottom, the similarity you see is due to them both having rather large heads.
            the modern asgard are different then the older asgard bodies
            Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
            Anime signature in spoiler tag
            Spoiler:
            Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Maybe an Asgard was captured by an Unas-Ra. Remember in the same episode your picture came from a 30,000 year old Asgard ship in the Milkyway Maybe an Asgard engineer was revived to effect repairs like what happened in the SG-1 Lifeboat. The Engineer move through the gate where he was captured by Unas- Ra. He learned from it. His improvements on Goauld Technology made him the Lord of all the Goauld.
              Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
                the modern asgard are different then the older asgard bodies
                I know that, still, the older Asgard look nothing like that thing in the first picture, it does'nt even have a nose. And Asgard physiology is considerably different from Humad and Unas, i doubt any Goauld could posses an Asgard.

Comment

I know that, still, the older Asgard look nothing like that thing in the first picture, it does'nt even have a nose. And Asgard physiology is considerably different from Humad and Unas, i doubt any Goauld could posses an Asgard.
                  Zing!

How is a reptillian speciese closer to a mammalian speciese than two mammalian species'? Actually, are the Asgard mammals?

Edit: We've known the goauld to take cannine esque speciese as hosts, I'd imagine they could take over most speciese that have a weak enough mind.

Comment

Asgards have pretty strong mind's, even when Thor was captured, he had composure, in-fact, the little guy was quite brave, he stood up to Anubis and said that he would divulge nothing and then the poor thing got probed.. but eventually, when his conciousness was downloaded onto the ship computer, he took control and forced the occupants to abandon ship.

Besides, this is an Asgard we're talking about, i'm pretty sure they have some anti-Goauld device of somesort in theirl bodies.

Comment

What if one of the pods crashed on 888? Yea, I'd never thought of it myself. Great Job! Definately could be a theory as to why the goa'uld got very advanced. It would also fit the timeframe. Depending on exactly when the sleeper ship started drifting, and how long till the pods crashed into various planets, it could be right around the time when the Goa'uld began their rise to power. If Ra was truly dying, it could because of the fragile state the stasis had put the Asgard into. Atleast in ST, there are noticeable affects from being in stasis, and even with this not being ST, stasis would have to have some sort of shock on the body.
                      When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                      Zatnikitelman

Comment

Asgards have pretty strong mind's, even when Thor was captured, he had composure, in-fact, the little guy was quite brave, he stood up to Anubis and said that he would divulge nothing and then the poor thing got probed.. but eventually, when his conciousness was downloaded onto the ship computer, he took control and forced the occupants to abandon ship.

Besides, this is an Asgard we're talking about, i'm pretty sure they have some anti-Goauld device of somesort in theirl bodies.
                        I agree, even if a little snake was inserted into their bodies (clone or pre-clone era) it would have a difficult time gaining control of the body.

Comment

The series has done some very stupid things as far as what a Goa'uld can possess. Klorel couldn't take of Skaara completely. But Baal was able to take over Adria. Very stupid. No way could an Asgard or Adria (Basically the most advanced from a human can get. Basically able to ascend on their own) be taken by a Goa'uld. I was very unhappy to see Adria taken over. Was very stupid and poorly thought through.

Comment

Maybe the Asgard have stronger minds than the Ancients/advanced humans.

Comment

Maybe the Asgard have stronger minds than the Ancients/advanced humans.
                              Naw its just the writers being stupid. The brain power of a being who has supernatural powers would be far more powerful.

Comment

Working...
                              X