Asagard Hyperdrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asagard Hyperdrives

I know that the Asgard fitted the 304s with Asgard hyperdrives that allow them to reach Pegasus in 3 weeks, but I also know that the Asgard could make the same journey in a week. (No Man's Land)

What do you think is the reason for this? I know more power makes the ship go faster (the Siege), could this be the reason? What then is powering the Earth ships? I've never seen a Naquadah reactor like those seen on Goa'uld Hataks and I doubt we're using naquadriah.

Could it me that the Asgard did not give us their best hyperdrives? I,ve always presumed that the large towers on the back of Asgard ships were their hyperdrive engines, but no such structure exists on the Earth ships. It could be that the Asgard could go so fast because their engines were so large compared to the rest of their ships.

Anyway, Earth seems to have plenty of 304s now, could it be time for Atlantis tohaveone all the time? If the Asgard gave us better hyperdrive knowledge in Unending the journey time would be drastically cut.

It is a fair point but i think its mostly that the asgard didnt want to give earth any technologies that make us on par with them and speed is a valuable asset in a battle/war.

Might also be that they were concerned that are ships might fly apart being constructed differently and primitivly. Possible in unending they didnt get time to fit the new engines on properly before the ori came and we might not know if the upgraded 304's can do that kind of speed in that time i dont think we were told.

Also might be possible to that are sheilds and hull werent powerful enough to keep any debris that hit the ships from going straight through but probably not i dont know how there hyperdrives work.
    if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

It is basically a power problem. The first time Daedalus made the trip to Pegasus it only took a couple days, because it had a ZPM equipped. Whatever generators are used on our 304's cannot fully power the hyperdrive (or shields for that matter)

Comment

There wouldn't be any debrie, as it uses a region of subspace free of it.

Its probable that we don't have the power generation requirements (or didn't have) to reach the speeds, what would be the point if it used more power than what we got out of it.

Also they may have had concerns that it maybe used against them in some manner.

I really liked the Asgard they were the only race that gave us cool stuff... and now they are gone ;(

Comment

We do have their latest hyperdrives. When the Daedalus was powered by a zpm it reached PG in 4 days the exact amount of time the Asgard ship needed to get there when they gave a lift to Weir (No man's land or Misbegotten). The only problem is that we don't have the powersource to max out the hyperdrives so our ships are slower.

Comment

In the Siege it was suggested that the use of the ZPM may have overloaded the hyperdrive. There is also no reason to assume that an Asgard power core, powerful as it would be, would equal a ZPM as Asgard ships have not been equal to Ori ships. I'm presuming a ZPM would have allowed their weapons to overpower an Ori ship earlier than in Unending.

Comment

"I'm presuming a ZPM would have allowed their weapons to overpower an Ori ship earlier than in Unending."

No. Asgard energy weapons were of little or no effect against Ori shields. Fleet of Ha'taks same thing. Increasing power output of inferior weapons will be little,if any help, power can only be increased so much without an overload.

The Asgard need the beams in Flesh and Blood. Then maybe. Asgard shields may not have been as good back then.

As for the Ori, may have an equivalent power source to a ZPM. Since their shields are A+ material, main cannon=immensily powerful, hyperdrive=kept up with the ZPM Odyssey.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                "I'm presuming a ZPM would have allowed their weapons to overpower an Ori ship earlier than in Unending."

No. Asgard energy weapons were of little or no effect against Ori shields. Fleet of Ha'taks same thing. Increasing power output of inferior weapons will be little,if any help, power can only be increased so much without an overload.

As for the Ori, may have an equivalent power source to a ZPM. Since their shields are A+ material, main cannon=immensily powerful, hyperdrive=kept up with the ZPM Odyssey.

Yeah got to agree with you here you cant use a ZPM to overlaod missles and you cant use a ZPM to increase raigun damage, its like saying ive got a p90 im going to stick a ZPM in it and it'll blow up a tank it is imposible. And from what we saw of that ORI power core its probebly some kind of ZPM in itself just bigger kinda looked like what you would expect it to.
                if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

"Sorry if you think my writing is crap but im here to relaxe and were not all as mentally capable as you but you still shouldnt bring that up as an argument its not."

I wouldn't sweat it too much. It is after all a forum, I don't check my grammar or spelling either.

Comment

"Sorry if you think my writing is crap but im here to relaxe and were not all as mentally capable as you but you still shouldnt bring that up as an argument its not."

I wouldn't sweat it too much. It is after all a forum, I don't check my grammar or spelling either.
                    Interesting... I find the unedited version of that comment much more interesting, though:

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper

I wouldn't sweat it too much. It is after all a forum, I don't check my grammar or spelling either. And anyway, you are probably in high school, while I may well go for my PhD.
                    I'm still in high school, and from what I've seen I have far better grammar and spelling than you. You use his/my age as an insult, as though teenagers cannot possibly compete with the intellect you surely must have... and yet here we are, with teenagers debating you on a daily basis and usually winning more support.

Interesting how these things work out, eh?
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

^Hardly child. You have shown rampant teenage fanboysim.

It is far too easy to shred your 'analysis' apart.

"I have far better grammar and spelling than you" What ego. LOL.

Comment

^Hardly child. You have shown rampant teenage fanboysim.

It is far too easy to shred your 'analysis' apart.

"I have far better grammar and spelling than you" What ego. LOL.
                        I said "from what I've seen," and that statement continues to stand. You sit around using "LOL!" and "fan boyism!" to insult the posts of others; I use thorough analysis and evidence-gathering to support my arguments. And, like Mr. Coolidge of the IOA, you use mannerisms such as "Hardly child" to belittle the ideas of the rest of us.

But back on-topic: the Asgard have hyperdrives capable of crossing the galactic void between Ida and the Milky Way in seconds... my guess is that the Asgard did not hand over this technology to us because it was deemed a little too useful (we could conquer whole galaxies in a day!), so they gave us an advanced version of the hyperdrives we already had on the 304s.
                        Last edited by s09119; 25 February 2008, 02:42 PM. Reason: EDIT: Forgot the "i" in "in"
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

^Knowing the information I know and probably suspected, you may continue to have a discussion amongst yourselves. I may drop in from time to time.

Comment

supposedly the regualr speed of the 304 without a ZPM should be around 6944 light years per hour (18 days travel, 3 million light years distance) But that is always meddled with as they took several minutes to travel from Lantea to the spot where they ambushed the wraith fleet when it should have only taken them about 26 seconds (distance of 50 light years). in comparison in Prometheus unbound the distress beacon was 50 light years off and it would have taken them 20 minutes. with the ZPM it should be about 31,250 light years per hour. Major inconsistencies so there probably is some minimum distance the ship must travel when it folds space that is quite significant
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I believe the writers are trying to stick to the actual hypothetical idea of hyperspace travel, partially because they did the science of stargate and demonstrated hyperspace as such. But while in hyperspace the engine makes the hyperspace window and hyperspace field but doesnt actually propel the ship, sublight (regular) engines do. 303 max speed was .6c and the 304s really have no reason to be going much faster so .6c for them seem reasonable. From this we can determine that it when the 304 travels to atlantis with a ZPM from earth the total distance traveled in hyperspace is 62,208,000,000 km. Assuming the Tria (with ZPM) can get the same distance in hyperspace that the 304 can it would complete the same trip in 2.4 days in comparison to the 304's 4 day trip. From No Man's Land the 304 (admittedly damaged) and the Orion (also damaged, but more severely) both made the same trip in almost precisely the same speed probably equating non ZPM enhanced Ancient warships to the same speed as the 304s without a ZPM. Thus making an Aurora with a ZPM faster than a 304.

But an Oniell without a ZPM can complete the same trip in the same time as a ZPM enhanced 304. Making a ZPM enhanced Aurora faster than an Oniell (standard), we dont know the capabilities of an Oniell with a ZPM but its speed should increase. If the Oniell power source can pump as much juice as a ZPM can then it really probably wont go much faster as the hyperdrive maybe maxed out. which would make sense if the Asgard really did give us their best and most current hyperdrive tech.
                              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
                              X