Intergalactic Bridge technical nitpicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intergalactic Bridge technical nitpicks

Hi. I have a couple of questions for you all about the McKay/Carter Intergalactic Bridge which has bugged me since watching "Midway."

How can McKay's macro dial the stargates located in the void between the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies when the gate's coordinate system (6 points based on constellations in 3-dimensional space) does not apply given that there are no stars in the void?

Also, in the SG-1 season 2 premiere, it was established that a stargate is only operational when it is located on or near a planetary body. This was explained as a requirement given that the gate's coordinate system needs a point of origin. Daniel Jackson said that he could only dial the gate on Klorel's ship once they were close to Earth. Given this principle of gate technology, how come the space-gates in the void work if there's no point of origin for them?
    (Of course, the need of a planetary body as a point of origin for the stargate has been ignored a couple of times before in SG-1, such as the time when Sam dialed the gate in order to blow up the sun in "Exodus"... or when SG-1 dialed a Pegasus gate near a black hole in order to establish a connection with a Milky Way gate in proximity to the Ori supergate in "The Pegasus Project").

the symbol system can be converted to coordinates. so it works vice versa. it doesnt need to be close to a planet, but in a solar system, as the point the symbols point out isnt a spot but a large 3d area wich is the solar system. thirdly, gates or dhd's can recalculate their position to reconnect with the main gatesystem. baal stole gates and dhd's, and prohibited them from doing so, making him able to create his own little gate system, protecting him from dakara and any other gate weapon, and making everyone unble to reach him with an outside gate, basically making his own little empire completely hidden from everyone else, unless some explorer ship accidently finds them.

back to midway. the macro works by making a gate dial a coordinate, wich is the next gate in the chain. it prohibits the next gate from rematerializing, the signature is stored in the buffer, and the process continues. so in essence, its a gate operation program, wich makes the gate behave differently from normal. using this macro, you could alter the sgc gate, by making everyone NOT transmitting the idc being reverted to some distant planet. you could alter it to make somthing trapped in the gate system forever, by making a loop in the program, so he goes to gate #1, then gate #2, etc, to gate, say, #10, then he goes back to gate #1, and then it continous. noother trick is to make a distant galaxy dial. say, you are on a pegasus alpha site, and need to go to the SGC immediatly. the macro is uploaded, you step in, you arrive at atlantis as an energy signature, and you exit at the sgc. this way the sgc could dial atlantis straight, by making a second long connection like in "letters from pegasus". you arrive at the pegasus alpha site as an energy siganture, and then dial atlantis, where you disembark[or perhaps arrive at atlantis first, the gate deactivates, and the buffer is emptied like in "48 hours"]

Comment

Originally posted by watchtower View Post
      Also, in the SG-1 season 2 premiere, it was established that a stargate is only operational when it is located on or near a planetary body. This was explained as a requirement given that the gate's coordinate system needs a point of origin. Daniel Jackson said that he could only dial the gate on Klorel's ship once they were close to Earth. Given this principle of gate technology, how come the space-gates in the void work if there's no point of origin for them?
      It was never actually stated that a planetary body was required, merely that the Stargate be in a relatively fixed position within an area of space. The gate aboard the Ha'tak didn't function because the ship immediately went into hyperspace, making it impossible to dial. Just like McKay stated in 'Adrift', the Stargate needs to be calibrated to a particular area

Although you make a very good point about the lack of stars in the galactic void. Of course, the idea that every gate has unique star patterns on it was abandoned relatively early on for the sake of expediency, so it's not really a massive issue. McKay's macro probably just fudged the symbols, or perhaps since all the symbols are the same, they're all judged from a central point; Earth in the Milky Way and Atlantis in Pegasus. When you dial an address, you're dialing the constellations as seen from that central point, which is why the addresses are always the same no matter where you are in the galaxy. Hmm, I can't believe over 11 years, i've never really thought about this before.
      Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
      Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
      Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
      - Serenity

Comment

its more about the glyphs to coordinates thing. the macro dials coordinates, not glyphs

Comment

Working...
        X