Ancient Consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Consoles

It just occurred to me when rewatching "Before I Sleep"....

Where the hell is the HUD for most of the Ancient Consoles. For example, when Janus is calculating the necessary power required, he just looks like he's playing an organ...I realize there are a few screens like the one in the back of the control room, but is the rest of the info beamed straight into their heads?

(Don't know if already asked, used search but no luck)

It might be like the Ancient 'stone' devices, in Dakara or Camelot or the time displacement device. They had no displays, Carter needed her laptop to show the progress of the one on Dakara. Otherwise, put in the sequence and poof, result, whether right or wrong. Remember, those Ancients were brilliant.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Ive been doing some translating, and i cant figure it out. The consoles have numbers writtin all over it. 0 through 9. Anybody now what it could mean??
      What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It could be an ID, so they know which console does what and where it is supposed to be.

The missing screen would annoy me.

Comment

i think that they use sort of a mental interface. remember the ancient brains were far more advanced then ours so it could stand to reason that maybe the images kind of projected in their heads or something. sort of a neural interface.

Comment

Originally posted by apollo22 View Post
            i think that they use sort of a mental interface. remember the ancient brains were far more advanced then ours so it could stand to reason that maybe the images kind of projected in their heads or something. sort of a neural interface.
            The Ancients did have neural interface technology. Look at that episode - forgot the name - where the crew of that Ancient ship was living in an artificial reality. Also, the drones know what target to hit by directly reading the mind of the person sitting at the chair. Super-advanced neural interface technology! However, a large part of Ancient technology is still controlled with push buttoms. Why? Because it works very well. For instance, we have computers and rockets now, but we still use stairs, a Bablylonian invention from 4000 years ago. People assume that all technology needs to be infinitely advanced. That is not so. It is possible that, 100 000 years from now, when our technology is so far more advanced that it looks like magic, we will still use the "push buttons" system. Why? Because it is so simple and works so well. The minute amount of muscular work necessary to push a buttom begs the question if it is even worthy to spend billions of dollars and years of research to develop neural interface technology in the first place. The impractical nature of walking or using animals to travel vast distances explain why we invested so much in transportation technology, developing the car, train, airplane,e etc. But there isn't the same requirement for the development of neural interfaces because pushing a buttom is so easy that neural interfacing isn't an absolute necesity.

Comment

Heh, your post reminds me of the story (not sure if it's true)

NASA spent a few million dollars making a ballpoint pen to work in zero-gravity environments

....The Russians used a pencil

Comment

One idea that I believe I saw put forth on the forums was that there were displays built into the consoles themselves where the user inputs data and manipulates the controls. I can't find the thread so I'm not 100% on it.

Originally posted by iqbalg1 View Post

NASA spent a few million dollars making a ballpoint pen to work in zero-gravity environments

You can rub off the writings of a pencil, though, if you don't bear down hard enough.

Comment

Originally posted by iqbalg1 View Post

For once, I pray that was a cover up for something else...

Comment

Working...
                  X