X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith ships More Durable than Auroras?

SPOILERS for the Kindred prt. 1
    Spoiler:
    In the last 5 mins, the Daedalus engages a Wraith Cruiser with the beam weapons. Yet it seemed to last for several mins, when it look only a few seconds to destroy an Aurora class ship with them. The Wraith Cruiser was badly damaged but it seemed to hold up better than the Auroras against the beam weapons.

Is this just a plot hole/device or are the Wraith ships actually more durable than the Auroras?

Originally posted by SG-17 View Post
    Spoiler:
    In the last 5 mins, the Daedalus engages a Wraith Cruiser with the beam weapons. Yet it seemed to last for several mins, when it look only a few seconds to destroy an Aurora class ship with them. The Wraith Cruiser was badly damaged but it seemed to hold up better than the Auroras against the beam weapons.

Is this just a plot hole/device or are the Wraith ships actually more durable than the Auroras?
    Spoiler:
    INCORRECT. All we heard fire were the rail guns. The beam weapons only fired in the last scene, and even then they missed.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

It would make sense. Auroras have shields that take the brunt of the damage. Wraith ships dont and thus are made with heavy armor so they can take a beating.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
        It would make sense. Auroras have shields that take the brunt of the damage. Wraith ships dont and thus are made with heavy armor so they can take a beating.
        thats what i recon. i always thought wraith ships would fair better than sheilded ships against 304s

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

I would imagine so too, but the Orion took more punishment than either of the hives in The Hive and it lasted longer so shields and hull seem better.
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by SG-17 View Post
            Spoiler:

Evidently. Welcome to the land of retroactive rebalancing. They give Earth all this stupid over the top wanktech garbage and now surprise of surprises the Wraith ships suddenly get a hundred times better than they were ever before with no explanation even attempted.

Would it have been to much trouble to just take the really lazyman approach and put in some sort of throw away scene were they explain that the Wraith civil war has driven them to upgrade most of their ships for wartime? I guess so, better to just assume we'll all collectively be too dense to notice things like this. If we do they can always tell us we're not supposed to care about it. Yep, airtight plan that.

Comment

the wraith always had thick hulls. the asuran auroras didnt, as they didnt expect anyone to penetrate their shields. so its about the hull. the asuran auroras were of bad quality for the sake of having a big fleet. the wraith build many with good quality

Comment

No way.

Aurora (1000+ metres) is way better armored than a Wraith Crusier (500 metres tops). Hell, the Aurora is the premiere warship of the Ancients.

I quote: "Wraith cruiser has suffered some heavy damage" All from the railguns.

Why? Because plot shields in effect. Obviously. Teyla, unkillable character, Michael, Kindred Part II, and he will once again get away, he is that good of a bad guy!

Otherwise, 1 shot from the beams = instant death. That is why 2 shots missed completely, by a mile. Worse shooting I ever seen in SG so far.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                  Why? Because plot shields in effect. Obviously.
                  A plot shield is an amazing but very unpredictable piece of technology. It means that a ship can survive all kinds of damage until such time as a scriptwriter decides to blow it up.
                  sigpic

Comment

The entire fleet of 304's (all 3 of them) wouldn't have connected with a single beam shot!

=)

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                      Evidently. Welcome to the land of retroactive rebalancing. They give Earth all this stupid over the top wanktech garbage and now surprise of surprises the Wraith ships suddenly get a hundred times better than they were ever before with no explanation even attempted.

Would it have been to much trouble to just take the really lazyman approach and put in some sort of throw away scene were they explain that the Wraith civil war has driven them to upgrade most of their ships for wartime? I guess so, better to just assume we'll all collectively be too dense to notice things like this. If we do they can always tell us we're not supposed to care about it. Yep, airtight plan that.
                      There is no rebalancing. The weapons fire we hear when the Daedalus engages the cruiser is clearly railgun fire, which we know Wraith ships can withstand quite well.
                      The Daedalus didn't use their beams weapons until they were trying to disable the cruiser's engines.

You can question why the Daedalus didn't just use their beams weapons straight off, but their lack of use was simply a plot device to allow the Cruiser to last long enough to escape.

There is no rebalancing going on here.

Comment

I've never been that impressed with Ancient Aurora class vessels. If it is the best they have its seriously disappointing. On the other hand I've really liked both the design and strenths of the Wraith Hive ships.
                        sigpic

Comment

^ I have never been impressed with the Aurora's either.

But then I have been spoiled by the Ori ships, and earlier Super Ha'taks, especially Annubis Super Ha'tak with the Eyes of Ra.

With such a mediocre premiere warship, it was not too surprising the Ancients lost the war.

Comment

The standoff was very brief... and we know the beam weapons have some charging time from BAMSR when the ships go "weapons hot" before the enemy arrives. They probably just opened up with railguns while the beam weapons charged instead of just sitting there, taking fire.

Comment

Where did it ever say the Auroras were the best of the Ancient fleet?

They did say they sent a delegation in the start of the war with their best warships and got their asses kicked, but never said they were Auroras

Comment

Working...
                              X