Sci-Fi Showdown: "Zat Gun" vs. "Traveler Pistol"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Fi Showdown: "Zat Gun" vs. "Traveler Pistol"

Alright, so let's say you've been asked to go offworld with SG-1! You are presented with a wide array of alien weaponry, but ultimately you have to decide between two similar pieces of equiptment:

1. A zat'nikatel on loan to the SGC from the Tok'ra.
    2. An energy pistol identical to Ronon Dex's given as a parting gift to Atlantis by the Travelers.

Both have the ability to stun or kill an enemy, disable electronic devices, and a myriad of other things, so which would you choose, given the option?

Any argument would be accepted, from the design of the weapon, overall "cool" factor, or practical application. And if someone can ask a mod for a poll, that would be great.

Personally, though... I'm going to have to go with the ol' stand by; the zat!

Choose your weapon (and your words!) and let the fight begin...

VS.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

well theres a post identicle to this on these forums might be good to post there next time.

but id prefer a zat it is a hard choice but the ability to disintergrate would improve its usefullnes like if sneaking into someone you dont like's base like the jafa or ori u come across a gaurd stun him and think mmm when he comes to were boned now i could hide him in this conveniatly placed closet or just make him disapear.

also its better camoflageud as it has no glowy bits can be concealed as easily but then again its not as quick to fire when u first take it out it needs to do the extendy thing it does before it shoot.

zat gun ftw
    if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

I'd take Ronan's gun myself, it has similar features to the Zat, but with the ability to blow great holes through things, including doors.
      Could come in very handy.

Plus it's so damn cool xD

Comment

Originally posted by Penguinarmy View Post
        I'd take Ronan's gun myself, it has similar features to the Zat, but with the ability to blow great holes through things, including doors.
        Could come in very handy.

Plus it's so damn cool xD
        True, but the zat always seemed more "stealth" to me... no idea why. And I'd always prefer to be on a recon/sabotage mission rather than an assault one, so maybe that goes along with my vote for the zat.

And is there another thread already on this? I completely missed if there was...
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          True, but the zat always seemed more "stealth" to me... no idea why. And I'd always prefer to be on a recon/sabotage mission rather than an assault one, so maybe that goes along with my vote for the zat.

And is there another thread already on this? I completely missed if there was...
          id take a zat for these reasons

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
          Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

I love Ronons gun so that would be my weapon of choice.
            What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hmmm Zats certainly look cooler, but I think I'm going to go with Ronon's gun mainly because it seems to be more effective especially if you need to blast a door down
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Wouldn't this be better as a +1 zat -1 gun?

Let them start wiht 100 each.

+1 zat
                -1 gun.

zat looks evil.

Zat: 101
                Gun: 99

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                  Wouldn't this be better as a +1 zat -1 gun?

Let them start wiht 100 each.

+1 zat
                  -1 gun.

zat looks evil.

Zat: 101
                  Gun: 99
                  Only if you want it moved to fun and games?

I think a poll would more than suffice
                  A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Zat...

watch midway and you see how easily they take down Wraith, its the same effect as Ronons gun but Ronon only has 1 gun where as the Zats are many

We know the Travelers have plenty of these guns but they dont really want much contact with Atlantis for some reason..

so Zat all the way!

Comment

The traveler pistol is a superior weapon and the zat gun looks really stupid.

Comment

Traveler pistol is far more effective.

Zat's seem to be limited to short range, whereas we've seen Ronon have a bit of distance about it if needed.

Then comes other factors of it actually being able to penetrate into objects & materials which the Zat cannot do.

The only major downside to Ronon's weapon is that it flashes red. However the Zat flashes blue (including on target impact). Not to mention, it looks to me the Zat makes a louder noise when fired as well.

Cannot think of a single reason that a Zat would be more beneficial to have than the Traveler energy pistol!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post

Cannot think of a single reason that a Zat would be more beneficial to have than the Traveler energy pistol!

so didnt you think of disintergration while having the same benefits.

in a battle you arent looking for the coolest gun your looking for the one you can use better and most people say theyd prefer a zat in a fight but would still choose ronons gun over a zat for its coolness so your telling me that youd prefer to look cooler than be alive.

zat advantages
                          - definate disintergrates
                          - sometimes stuns
                          - definate kill
                          - as seen in the show if someones behind a metal baricade or touching anything metal you can shoot it and itll stun them whihc is also a great way to take out entire hordes of enemies
                          - can shoot something to give it a temporary power boost like jump starting a car
                          - doesnt give a recoil

disadvantages
                          - damage on killsetting isnt powerful enough to shoot down a wall but is a side arm and shouldnt be expected to do so
                          - anoyingly loud hopefully the jafa made silencers for it
                          - not as accurate at rage having strange shape and no defined sight

ronons gun advantages
                          - damage radius on kill is impressively large
                          - good rate of fire
                          - more accurate at range being you can aim it like a normal 9mm
                          - sometime stun can be inefective against wraith
                          - sometimes kill can be inefective aswell as it sometimes doesnt give a definate kill
                          - more quite

disadvantages
                          - bigger recoil weve seen ronons arm go back when he's fired his weapon sometimes
                          - no disintergrator setting
                          - are vertualy impossible to get replacements of
                          - if you want to kill someone holding a freind hostage the splash damage from kill setting will kill them aswell also stun wont effect both of them only the one it hits wereas a zat effects the conbined entity not the individual
                          - orange glow lestens its stealth bonuses
                          if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

i'd take ronons gun because it looks like it would fit my hand better then a zat,

Comment

Originally posted by SG66 View Post
                              i'd take ronons gun because it looks like it would fit my hand better then a zat,
                              Thats my main reason for liking it too. Better ergonomics and a better control system.

If you are trying to stun someone with a zat and it does not take you are now forced to kill them. Or if you have multiple people unaware of each other trying to stun the same person at the same time you could also end up with an unintended kill. Try that in hostage situation.

Stun

A Traveler gun on stun is completely nonlethal no matter him many times you shoot the target. You are not limited to one shot and preying that it works. A Traveler gun on stun can fire volley at the intended target without worry of killing them.

Kill

Fairly comparable to the zat except that it kills on the first shot instead of the second. This may not seem like much of an issue until you watch Midway and see Tealc getting swamped by Wraith. He simply did not have the time to hit them twice. It may not always be 100% but then again neither is zat. If you need more use burn.

Burn

It may not be able to disintegrate but at least its damage stays consistent and it can not be used as a cure all.

Got get rid of a body just zat 3 times. Heaven forbid that the writers would actually have to think about making the characters think what to do.

Got get rid of a bomb just zat 3 times.

Got get rid of a deteriorating container that will release a virus that will kill the world just zat 3 times.

Got get rid of anything dangerous without ever having to worry about it ever again just zat 3 times.

Need to support some lazy writing just zat 3 times.

Comment

Working...
                              X