Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goa'uld Technology, where did it come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goa'uld Technology, where did it come from?

We know that the Goa'uld are parasites who stole the technology of others but from whome did they steal it? We know that they copied some technology, like the Ancient healing device and the ring transporters but where did they get the rest?

The piece of technology I'm confused about is the Eyes. They can't of been built by the Goa'uld as Anubis wouldnt of had to search for the others; he could of just made more.

Could it be that the Goa'uld made the great leap in their technology when they took members of an advanced race on as hosts. I don't think an Ancient would of succcumbed to a parasite butwhat about the Nox or the Furlings?

I can't see the leap in their technology ofbeen undertaken while they were in Unas hosts as they were a primative race.

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
    We know that the Goa'uld are parasites who stole the technology of others but from whome did they steal it?
    Most of it probably came from former Alteran worlds.

The piece of technology I'm confused about is the Eyes. They can't of been built by the Goa'uld as Anubis wouldnt of had to search for the others; he could of just made more.
    I figure the eyes were a sort of precursor to ZPM technology.

Could it be that the Goa'uld made the great leap in their technology when they took members of an advanced race on as hosts. I don't think an Ancient would of succcumbed to a parasite butwhat about the Nox or the Furlings?
    I don't think the Goa'uld have had any ancient, Nox or Furling hosts. I think they've made their leaps in technology by having Alteran tech available to them that they were smart enough to reverse engineer.

I can't see the leap in their technology ofbeen undertaken while they were in Unas hosts as they were a primative race.
    What does the intellect of the host have to do with the intellect of the Goa'uld? I assume one would have nothing to do with the other.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Your right, the main advantage for the Goa'uld has been that the symbiote is more intelligent than the host, but can the Goa'uld of realy advanced so quickly simply through the Unas, who were and still are a cave man like society. I don't think the Goa'uld would of been able to work out how to use the gates and the other cool pieces of technology without first finding someone who understood them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
        What does the intellect of the host have to do with the intellect of the Goa'uld? I assume one would have nothing to do with the other.
        The Goa'uld are capable of accessing the memories of the host when they take over they're mind, just like Carter was able to access some of Jolinars memories, meaning that whatever tech the host knew about the Goa'uld would know about

Comment

Your right, the main advantage for the Goa'uld has been that the symbiote is more intelligent than the host, but can the Goa'uld of realy advanced so quickly simply through the Unas, who were and still are a cave man like society. I don't think the Goa'uld would of been able to work out how to use the gates and the other cool pieces of technology without first finding someone who understood them.
          Look at Earth: The Stargate was discovered in 1928. In 1945 Earth was able to push enough buttons that it got a stable connection to another planet (but nobody knew about it). So it took Humans about 17 years pushing random symbols to make the gate work. It could have happened a lot faster or slower, it all comes down to luck.

If humans could do it completely randomly in 17 years, then there's no doubt that the Goa'uld/Unas could have done it in the span of thousands of years. All it would take is a connection to a world with something like the Abydos cartouche and the Goa'uld would have been all set.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
            The Goa'uld are capable of accessing the memories of the host when they take over they're mind, just like Carter was able to access some of Jolinars memories, meaning that whatever tech the host knew about the Goa'uld would know about
            I understand that, but you're taking my response out of context. I was replying to the idea that having an Unas host would somehow make the Goa'uld parasite 'dumber' for some reason.

Comment

It's possible their base technology was developed in much the way we advance; they just figured some stuff out on their own, and eventually figured out the gate same as us.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

[QUOTE]What does the intellect of the host have to do with the intellect of the Goa'uld? I assume one would have nothing to do with the other.[QUOTE]

Yeah, I always thought the Goa'uld were quite intelligent and devious. They just needed human hosts because they lacked the physical ability to construct their own tech. They have filched a lot of tech and probably accessed the minds of their hosts to help make greater leaps in technology, but I think that just goes to prove their intelligence even more and in no way should they be underestimated as far as intelligence and technology is concerned. The Goa'uld definitely have a lot of things unique to them in their designs on everything from architecture to weapons.
                sigpic

Comment

I understand that, but you're taking my response out of context. I was replying to the idea that having an Unas host would somehow make the Goa'uld parasite 'dumber' for some reason.
                  Is it even possible to hold that much information in such a small package and still have it be a living, breathing, thinking creature?

Personally I don't think so. My own theory is that the Goa'uld symbiotes aren't really sentient on their own and require a host to actually access and add to their genetic knowledge. Thus a Goa'uld in a creature with a less developed mind, Unas aren't among those I'd count, would probably still be anti-social and hate your guts but wouldn't actively know why and couldn't build or repair even the simplest of technology.

Of course this theory has probably been directly, or indirectly, disproven in the show already but I still like it.

Comment

Oh, sorry i misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
                      Is it even possible to hold that much information in such a small package and still have it be a living, breathing, thinking creature?

Personally I don't think so. My own theory is that the Goa'uld symbiotes aren't really sentient on their own and require a host to actually access and add to their genetic knowledge. Thus a Goa'uld in a creature with a less developed mind, Unas aren't among those I'd count, would probably still be anti-social and hate your guts but wouldn't actively know why and couldn't build or repair even the simplest of technology.

Of course this theory has probably been directly, or indirectly, disproven in the show already but I still like it.
                      I think the Unas were just the first available hosts, because they both came from the same planet originally. I don't think the Unas Goa'uld showed they were dumber in any way than a regular Goa'uld. The symbiotes are sentient themselves as proven in the episode in which they had the trial of Skara/Klorel in addition they have the whole genetic memory thing so actually from birth they are smarter than most creatures. They would be highly ineffective in overtaking a host's mind if they weren't sentient.
                      sigpic

Comment

They probably made it using the tech that they stole from all the other races and made it uniquely theirs
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

It is like Goauld discovered Naquadah first then slowly found some ancient devices. The ancient seem to have left most of theres everywhere.

Outposts Teonas facilities
                          Healing devices the precusor of the Sarchopagus
                          Stargate
                          Rings etc.
                          Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Didn't you here, the Goa'uld are scavengers. Even if they do know how it all works and their willing to tell Earth, it's unlikely the Goa'uld can trace the technology back to it's origins.
                            Zero Point Energy by 0 Kelvin: Just go to Wikipedia, type in Absolute 0, hit enter. It'll save a little bit of my time and effort.

better to be wrong and alive than right and dead

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
                              I think the Unas were just the first available hosts, because they both came from the same planet originally. I don't think the Unas Goa'uld showed they were dumber in any way than a regular Goa'uld. The symbiotes are sentient themselves as proven in the episode in which they had the trial of Skara/Klorel in addition they have the whole genetic memory thing so actually from birth they are smarter than most creatures. They would be highly ineffective in overtaking a host's mind if they weren't sentient.
                              I remember that episode well... but I don't remember them ever saying outright, or in a hidden meaning, that Goa'uld/Tok'ra symbiotes are sentient outside of a host.

The only people who might say this are the Goa'uld or the Tok'ra and since they both have huge egos, somewhat desrved but huge nonetheless, you really can't trust what they say about themselves on such a personal level, after all the Goa'uld say they are gods why wouldn't they say that they are sentient?

Personally I don't recall this crazy theory of mine ever being contradicted on screen.

But it is probably very unpopular with all of the fans for various reasons, and evidence to the contrary is included among those reasons.

They needn't be sentient to take over ones mind. After all the minds that we've seen them take over thus far are all biological in nature. With the right chemical and electrical stimulants our minds can easily be overcome by pure instinct.

As is shown in the episode that introduces, and kills, the Tok'ra queen Egeria. Those smbiotes possessed none of the Goa'uld's genetic knowledge but were still able to subvert the mind of their most unwilling host.

I think its name was "
                              Cure" in season 6.

Also I never said that the Unas had less developed brains than us. In fact I said quite the opposite of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X