Proclarus Taonas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proclarus Taonas

It seems to ba accepted wisdom that the ancients must of created multiple City ships and that each of these ships was based on one of the outposts seen in the galactic display in Lost World, but why would the Ancients do this?

It doesn't make much sense to build lots of moveable cities in one galaxy. It would be like having a village made up of caravans and no houses. Now that would make sense if you were nomadic but they, as far as I can tell, weren't. They moved here from the ori galaxy and then to the Pegasus and that as far as I can tell is it.

It makes more sense to me that they simply moved Atlantis around the Milky Way. The outposts, like Taonas, were simplydocking stations. They might of moved Atlantis so that it could act as a kind of demonstration of their power.

I also think that the city ship seen in the tower was an escape plan built to replace Atlantis that was trapped by the Wraith.

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
    It seems to ba accepted wisdom that the ancients must of created multiple City ships...
    Well, I wouldn't say it's accepted; there isn't any hard evidence that city-ships besides Atlantis existed in the Milky Way.

and that each of these ships was based on one of the outposts seen in the galactic display in Lost World, but why would the Ancients do this?
    The outposts were left behind after the city-ship left whatever world they were on.

It doesn't make much sense to build lots of moveable cities in one galaxy. It would be like having a village made up of caravans and no houses. Now that would make sense if you were nomadic but they, as far as I can tell, weren't. They moved here from the ori galaxy and then to the Pegasus and that as far as I can tell is it.
    Right, but we're talking about a civilization that spanned several million years. When you're living on a planet for that long a time, there are bound to be things like natural disasters that they couldn't prevent; like Proclarus' sun expanding into a red giant.

I also think that the city ship seen in the tower was an escape plan built to replace Atlantis that was trapped by the Wraith.
    What gave you that impression?
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

We we've never seen any others and if Atlantis could survive for 10,000 years why aren't there more around?

Comment

We we've never seen any others and if Atlantis could survive for 10,000 years why aren't there more around?
        Atlantis has been around for at least 5 million years, and is possibly 30 million years old.
        In the Milky Way we've only seen evidence of two places the Lanteans had set up shop: Proclarus and Earth. We know Proclarus was abandoned about 30 million years ago based on the out-of-date information that outpost had of Earth. We know Earth was abandoned about 5-10 million years ago when Atlantis headed off for Pegasus.

However, there is no evidence so far that would indicate the Lanteans were on other worlds for the 20 million or so years between their abandoning Proclarus and Earth.

As for why there aren't more around, well, they are capable of flying elsewhere. If there were more city-ships like Atlantis in the Milky Way, we should find more outposts that were left behind or references to other Lantean cities, but so far they haven't mentioned anything like that.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Perhaps tehy got destroyed.. BUt i do agree, why have more than one outpost if you are only having one city ship..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            Perhaps tehy got destroyed.. BUt i do agree, why have more than one outpost if you are only having one city ship..
            They could have built outposts as research stations or military bases, as well. For example, we have numerous "_____ Sites" out there, but only one homeworld.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The outposts were left behind when the city-ship moved on to a new planet. If a single city-ship changed planets 10 times, then you'd have 10 outposts left behind by a single city-ship.

So far we have evidence of two outposts, and we don't even know if the one on Proclarus was left behind by Atlantis.

Comment

As Zalenka originally posted, they're landing pads like the pyramids on some Goa'uld worlds (Abydos, Juna).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                  As Zalenka originally posted, they're landing pads like the pyramids on some Goa'uld worlds (Abydos, Juna).
                  No they aren't. Atlantis couldn't possibly land on an outpost; it would squash the outpost into a pancake.

Watch the beginning of Rising when it shows Atlantis leaving Earth and you'll see what I mean. The outpost is basically a single tower left behind from the center of Atlantis.

Comment

I haven't seen AoT so I dunno about this statement. But more then one city ship could have left their home galaxy. We say the one in The Tower and possible more in the future. Maybe some Alterans left Pegasus in one for a new galaxy and hide the information from all databases should the Wraith or Ori ever take control of Atlantis or any other Ancient database.

Comment

We've only seen 2 outposts but we know that the ancients had many settlement, I beleive that the stargates were all on planets where they or their allies had set up on, they wouldn't put them there for no reason after all. With the number of planets out there, there could be loads of outposts and docking ports for city ships, toanas didn't have a gate and it was an outpost.
                      Best quotes ever:
                      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                      Thor:I like the yellow ones
                      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Taonas did have a gate address though, the address didn't work as the gate had been destroyed by the supernova.

As for City ships it wouldn't surprise me to learn the ancientshad several, possibly 6 or more.

The Ancients were mobile. A city ship is a mobile SGC/Area 51 combination. You could scatter them about a galaxy creating safe zones. We know of at least three additional ones besides atlantis. The tower, Asura,and the Asuran's built/repaired at least one additional one as well. So why would the Ancients only need one, when Asuran's had at least two?

I say built/repaired as building something that massive would take time even for them, but if another city was simply destroyed on the bottom of another ocean, the Asuran's could repair it far quicker than building another one. They also new of all the locations of battles that the Ancients fought with the wraith. So locations of damaged city/ships would be easy to find.

Comment

We know of at least three additional ones besides atlantis. The tower, Asura,and the Asuran's built/repaired at least one additional one as well. So why would the Ancients only need one, when Asuran's had at least two?
                          The Ancients, as far as we know only built 2. Asuras's city ship was built by the Asurans. Twice.

Comment

The more important question should be: why after a few millions of years, why haven't their city ships gotten better?

Comment

Originally posted by XFire View Post
                              The more important question should be: why after a few millions of years, why haven't their city ships gotten better?
                              The technology in Atlantis is basically the pinnacle of Lantean tech. That is where they were technologically when their civilization pretty much ended.

If the show presented us with a city-ship that was abandoned millions of years before Atlantis, then we might be able to make a comparison that would show how the Lanteans had upgraded over the years.
                              Since we have nothing to base a comparison on, there's no way to say how their technology might have advanced over the years.

Comment

Working...
                              X