Ancient Technology time line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Technology time line.

I was thinking what was the order in which the Ancients produced their technology and then if there was any discernable evolution to it. What were they going for or towards?

As far as I can see it went something like this.

Intergalactic communication device.
    Intergalactic Ship, (brought them from the Ori Galaxy.)
    Ring transporters
    Stargates, (may of been invented before)
    ZPMs
    Drone weapons
    City Ship
    Dakara energy weapon
    point defence weapons
    Replicators
    Project Arcturus
    Time travel technolgy
    Phase Shifting technology.

It might be that the Ancients were simply developing their technology to help them to either: ascend or communicate with the ascended, but they may of simply been trying to update their technology for the normal reasons: more power, more strength etc.

It does make me think however that as phase shifting was one of their last big things this is where we should be going. But why were the Ancients into it and what could it hold in store?

Merlin made everything phase shifting. I wouldn't say the ancients did it, as he had ascended knowledge

Go Green

Comment

some where in there they made multidimensional interaction devices and time loop technology
      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

*Cracks knuckles* I've got some time to kill, so i'll give this a shot...

Since a purely sophistication-based chronology doesn't really work, it'd probably be better to base it on the more obvious aspects of the technology at hand; namely the aesthetics of each piece of machinery. Following this, we're looking at three "generations" of technology based on stylistic choices:

First, you've got the monolithic, stone (or some similar material) based architecture and technology. This period saw the development of the first generation of Stargates, the Dakara device, and the 'time bubble' contraption from 'Window of Opportunity'. Intergalactic travel would have had to of predated all of these technologies, obviously. It's worth noting that ring transporters and Stargates were seen in operation in the Ori galaxy, meaning they must have been developed prior to the schism.

Subsequently, Ancient technology underwent an overhaul and started looking a lot more jagged and almost crystalline in appearance. This more "modern" aesthetic is best represented by Atlantis and sites of Ancient technology seen around Pegasus. While still based on push-button technology, Atlantis represents a move towards more advanced, "digital" designs over the older "analogue" systems of the earlier Milky Way constructs.

Finally, Ancient technology began to take on a far more organic and streamlined approach, like something out of an H. R. Giger work. A transition of sorts can be seen with the Atlantis-style crystalline architecture used in the drone testing ground from 'Harmony', with the drones possibly representing the Ancient's first foray into organic-styled designs. This period would see the design of the Control Chair mind-machine interface and - later - the Ancient knowledge repositories. While the outpost in Antarctica was clearly built prior to Atlantis' departure and the development of drones in Pegasus, it's safe to argue that they simply retrofitted the outpost with the control chair and drones developed in Pegasus when they evacuated Atlantis to the Antarctic gate 10,000 years ago.

The only real problem is the Intergalactic Communications Device. While the device clearly displays the organic aesthetics of only the most recent Ancient technology (ie. Repositories of Knowledge), the device is one of the few confirmed pieces of technology definitely in existence even prior to the schism. The same goes for another particular piece of technology seen in a certain upcoming DVD Movie, which again displays the organic aesthetic present in much later Ancient technology. Maybe this displays some technological regression in the trip to the Milky Way, or perhaps merely an aesthetic regression only to later be redeveloped much later by newer generations of Ancients. Honestly, I don't know.

Timeline:

Prior to schism:
        Intergalactic Communications Device
        Ring transporters
        Stargate
        Hyperspace
        Intergalactic Spacefaring

Post-arrival in Milky Way:
        Dakara Device
        'Window of Opportunity' Time Device (possibly their first foray into time travel)
        City Ship
        Zero Point Module

Settling of Pegasus:
        Second Generation/Pegasus Stargate
        Aurora-class Battleship
        Drones
        Control Chair
        Genetic Manipulation Device (also known as the Ascendomatic, as seen in Tao of Rodney)
        Project Arcturus
        Time Travel

Post-Evacuation of Pegasus (10,000 years ago)
        :
        Ancient Repositories of Knowledge
        Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
        Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
        Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
        - Serenity

Comment

^^ Only one problem with that, the stargate was really a mw thing AoT spoiler
          Spoiler:
          The idea was originally come up with in the ori home galaxy but they never actually built one until after they had left because of the ori. It is a tough one but I would have to go with mw for stargates.

There are 4 main types of design that I have seen though as pointed out by someone in the replicator control thread.
          Here's the post:
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....3&postcount=35
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mefusta View Post
            *Cracks knuckles* I've got some time to kill, so i'll give this a shot...

Since a purely sophistication-based chronology doesn't really work, it'd probably be better to base it on the more obvious aspects of the technology at hand; namely the aesthetics of each piece of machinery. Following this, we're looking at three "generations" of technology based on stylistic choices:

First, you've got the monolithic, stone (or some similar material) based architecture and technology. This period saw the development of the first generation of Stargates, the Dakara device, and the 'time bubble' contraption from 'Window of Opportunity'. Intergalactic travel would have had to of predated all of these technologies, obviously. It's worth noting that ring transporters and Stargates were seen in operation in the Ori galaxy, meaning they must have been developed prior to the schism.

Subsequently, Ancient technology underwent an overhaul and started looking a lot more jagged and almost crystalline in appearance. This more "modern" aesthetic is best represented by Atlantis and sites of Ancient technology seen around Pegasus. While still based on push-button technology, Atlantis represents a move towards more advanced, "digital" designs over the older "analogue" systems of the earlier Milky Way constructs.

Finally, Ancient technology began to take on a far more organic and streamlined approach, like something out of an H. R. Giger work. A transition of sorts can be seen with the Atlantis-style crystalline architecture used in the drone testing ground from 'Harmony', with the drones possibly representing the Ancient's first foray into organic-styled designs. This period would see the design of the Control Chair mind-machine interface and - later - the Ancient knowledge repositories. While the outpost in Antarctica was clearly built prior to Atlantis' departure and the development of drones in Pegasus, it's safe to argue that they simply retrofitted the outpost with the control chair and drones developed in Pegasus when they evacuated Atlantis to the Antarctic gate 10,000 years ago.

The only real problem is the Intergalactic Communications Device. While the device clearly displays the organic aesthetics of only the most recent Ancient technology (ie. Repositories of Knowledge), the device is one of the few confirmed pieces of technology definitely in existence even prior to the schism. The same goes for another particular piece of technology seen in a certain upcoming DVD Movie, which again displays the organic aesthetic present in much later Ancient technology. Maybe this displays some technological regression in the trip to the Milky Way, or perhaps merely an aesthetic regression only to later be redeveloped much later by newer generations of Ancients. Honestly, I don't know.

Timeline:

Prior to schism:
            Ring transporters
            Stargate
            Hyperspace

Dakara Device
            'Window of Opportunity' Time Device (possibly their first foray into time travel)
            City Ship
            Zero Point Module

Settling of Pegasus:
            Aurora-class Battleship
            Drones
            Control Chair
            Genetic Manipulation Device (also known as the Ascendomatic, as seen in Tao of Rodney)
            Project Arcturus
            Time Travel

Post-Evacuation of Pegasus (10,000 years ago)
            :
            Drones and the control chairs were invented before the move to Pegasus as they can be found in the outpost on Earth.
            sigpic

Comment

If you would have read his post, he said that its most likely that when the Ancients came back 10,000 years ago, they retro-fited it with the Control Chair and the Drones.
              What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap.Dylan Hunt View Post
                If you would have read his post, he said that its most likely that when the Ancients came back 10,000 years ago, they retro-fited it with the Control Chair and the Drones.
                In 'Rising' we saw the control chair in the background when Atlantis left Earth, and recently one of the writers confirmed that the Ancients had drone technology in the MW before they left for Pegasus.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cap.Dylan Hunt View Post
                  completely ignoring the fact that there was a control chair on Proclarush Taonas. I wouldn't be surprised if there was drones there as well, as the outpost had a ZPM.

why hasn't SG1 gone back for them, it probably hasn't been thought of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                    In 'Rising' we saw the control chair in the background when Atlantis left Earth, and recently one of the writers confirmed that the Ancients had drone technology in the MW before they left for Pegasus.
                    Ah, you got me there. All that typing gone to waste.

Honestly, I haven't seen Rising in a good few years at this point, so i'm not really surprised I missed that. I guess it's time for me to rethink my whole hypothesis of aesthetic evolution. Anyway, come to think of it, the Heliopolis device presents a rather large problem too: It has the design aesthetic of being built around the same time as the Stargates and DHDs, and yet would have had to have been placed there in only the past few thousand years to coincide with the rest of the members of the Four Great Races rising to power. Damn, and I was so sure i'd thought of all the angles.

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                    completely ignoring the fact that there was a control chair on Proclarush Taonas. I wouldn't be surprised if there was drones there as well, as the outpost had a ZPM.

why hasn't SG1 gone back for them, it probably hasn't been thought of yet.
                    Because that outpost was destroyed after SG-1 punched a hole through the 'lava bubble' that had formed around the outpost shield. Anyway, it's entirely possible that Proclarush Taonas was built before... no, wait, tell a lie, since it was in the database when Daniel was looking for the Sangraal, it was probably built before Atlantis left for Pegasus. Except for if Morgan La Fay planted the information so that Daniel would find it. But that's a pretty big stretch, at any rate.

Food for thought, to be sure.
                    Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
                    Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
                    Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
                    - Serenity

Comment

Well the majority of the outpost was destroyed and the planet itself isn't a tropical paradise with beaches that go on for miles.

But we have seen how hardy Alteran designs are. SGA The Tower shows us that. I would be willing to bet that the Drone chamber is still there, and only needs to be dug out. While it can never fire another drone, the drones themselves are worth the risk, if only to reload the outpost on Earth.

Comment

Prior to schism:
                        Hyperspace
                        Ring transporters
                        Stargate

Dakara Device
                        Zero Point Module
                        Control Chair
                        Drones
                        City Ship

Settling of Pegasus:
                        Aurora-class Battleship
                        Project Arcturus
                        Time Travel

Post-Evacuation of Pegasus (10,000 years ago):

OK
                        ICDs I have no Idea where they would come in, so I placed them at the beginning.
                        Hyperspace, it makes no sense to me why you would make a device capable of journeying to other planets, if you are only on one... ^^^ Above posts.
                        Rings, simplish after creating hyperspace - way from going from ship to shore
                        SGs, could have come from principals from the ring, and they are highly complex piece of kit
                        IGS - They left the galaxy after they had made all of the above

Dakara - Seeded life, would have also created gate network before hand
                        Time Device - Not too sure, wasn't it around the time of the plague?
                        ZPM - Needed to power the technology about to be mentioned. Why they would create the tec without the power device would puzzle me
                        Control Chair - Used to control the drones and powered by the ZPM, could have been created after the drone, as a means of security, or was made before hand.
                        Drones - Their best weapon created after the other tec, possibly before the chair
                        City Ship - Cumulation of all of their best tecnology and updated tec so far

Pegasus Gates - Better than our own, so its logical
                        AC B - Logical, they were fighting a war against the Wraith, however has there ever been a mention of the Ancient warships by Thor?
                        PA - Because of the war they made this to surpas the ZPM tec which failed to deliver
                        GMD - Made for Ancients that wanted to Ascend the easier way
                        Time Travel - Made just before they left, possibly after the GMD failed

ARK - Well they had to show something of after their thousands of years of existence.

I believe that this list makes more sense than otherrs, as it is in a more logical order.

Comment

That^^ looks a bit better.
                          What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

actualy:

Spoiler:
                            in AoT the ancient dude says: "i had a amazing idea last night". and we cut to a pic of his journal where we see a stargate and the 7 point cordinate system scheched out

so stargates go after arival in MW. hope that helped, and as to the Ori having stargates, well, their ascended, it stands top reason that they would figure out a way to make them.

Comment

Unless of course
                              Spoiler:
                              Amelius left some of his research behind allowing the Ori to replicate the Stargate design but thats speculation at this point.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                              X