This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

Anyone else played these (video) games? They're based off a tabletop game and are insanely fun! You can play as one of 7 factions at present:

1. The Space Marines (humankind's elite warriors)
    2. The Eldar (an ancient alien race)
    3. The Orks (a wacky alien race)
    4. The Chaos Space Marines (heretical human supersoldiers)
    5. The Imperial Guard (the backbone of Earth's army)
    6. The Tau Empire (a young but extremely advanced alien race)
    7. The Necrons (an ancient undead race, older than any)

It's all squad-based RTS combat, and it's great fun! Anyone else play?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    Anyone else played these (video) games? They're based off a tabletop game and are insanely fun! You can play as one of 7 factions at present:

1. The Space Marines (humankind's elite warriors)
    2. The Eldar (an ancient alien race)
    3. The Orks (a wacky alien race)
    4. The Chaos Space Marines (heretical human supersoldiers)
    5. The Imperial Guard (the backbone of Earth's army)
    6. The Tau Empire (a young but extremely advanced alien race)
    7. The Necrons (an ancient undead race, older than any)

It's all squad-based RTS combat, and it's great fun! Anyone else play?
    With the new expansion released soon you can add

Sisters of Battle (Warrior Nuns in black power armour *ohhherrr matron*
    and
    Dark Eldar (Eldar but utterly debased and perverse, take slaves in battle and torture and experiment on them for their own enjoyment [over simplification but it will suffice])

Loved the first 3 versions of the game, however from what I've heard Soulstorm (the fourth expansion) is badly implemented.
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

*points to my username*

Witch Hunter mod models>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Soul Storms Sisters of Battle models

its sad when a fanmade mod outdoes the official thing really

the games decent but the lack of an UMS setting like Star/warcraft and its lack of Balance really bring it down and Im not even going to get into the amount of fluff they raped and the lack of customization(which was one of the main things I loved TT for)

oh and if the Demofiles are correct then the story is going to be worse than Dark Crusades(which sucked other than the various Banter with Eliphas/Gorgutz and Taldeer and the various other commanders)

plus we have yet another Brain dead moron for a Chaos Lord(and to think they had to kill off Eliphas the chaos Lord in this series that didnt suck)
      Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 19 February 2008, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I've played the original dawn of war and dark crusade. I've also been a player of the actual table game for going on 15 years. The games are fun with plenty of depth given all the different factions and I also really like the idea of capturing points to get more units rather than "mining".

If you're a dawn of war far you might also want to check out Company of Heroes which is a WW2 RTS that uses an updated version of the same basic game mechanics. It's got some added features I really wish had made it into dawn of war.

Comment

I love Dawn of War but you can really get swamped by units if your playing against guard with a low unit count army.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer View Post
            *points to my username*

Witch Hunter mod models>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Soul Storms Sisters of Battle models

its sad when a fanmade mod outdoes the official thing really
            I just downloaded this mod based on your recommendation here and it does indeed look awesome but there's a problem. It's pretty obvious that whoever was working on this talked his disinterested girlfiriend into voicing the sisters and it's really distracting.

Hopefully when Soulstorm hits someone will mod these models into it but keep the haughty British psycho nun voices the sisters are supposed to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
              I just downloaded this mod based on your recommendation here and it does indeed look awesome but there's a problem. It's pretty obvious that whoever was working on this talked his disinterested girlfiriend into voicing the sisters and it's really distracting.

Hopefully when Soulstorm hits someone will mod these models into it but keep the haughty British psycho nun voices the sisters are supposed to have.
              yes the voices are bad and the Mod is still in Beta so we dont have the option for custom colours...

if you want some other mods try out the Daemon Hunters Mod and Armageddon Steel Legion

throw in the combiner and you have 3 extra races to play against at the same time

(Daemon Hunters use already existing voice files but the Steel Legion Mod has original VA but its not nearly as crap as the witch hunters)

the Grey Knight commander in the DH Mod also has a neat Little referance to a certain WH40K Novel on him and the Steel Legion Mod uses one of the Biggest IG commanders in its mod(Commissar Yarrick)

and when the game comes out im going to to replace the Chaos Lord+Sorcerer/Force Commander/Imperial Guard General models and Voices as soon as I get the chance
              Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 21 February 2008, 08:02 AM.

Comment

<-- biggest necron nerd you'll ever meet.

Dark Crusade FTW!

Wish they'd introduce more alienish alien races though, love 40k but too many bipeds/leggy-wonders
                Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Originally posted by Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab View Post
                  <-- biggest necron nerd you'll ever meet.

Dark Crusade FTW!

Wish they'd introduce more alienish alien races though, love 40k but too many bipeds/leggy-wonders
                  there is a reason for most of the races that are humanlike *cougholdonecreatedmostofthemcough*

and its not like there arnt any nonhumanoid races in WH40k either *points to the Umbra and Loxatle as example*

Comment

I love RTS games (Warcraft, Starcraft, CNC, etc...) and Warhammer is one of the best. Dark Crusade is my favorite in the series ATM.
                    Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                    Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                    Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                    --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

My only problem with Dark Crusade is the Tau... when it first came out I played them nonstop; I loved the feel of them, their technology, the way everyhing looked... but with the last patches they've been nerfed so bad it's not even funny. And add in the lack of true turrets and mines... ugh.

I'm a Guardsman now
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

My only problem with Dark Crusade is the Tau... when it first came out I played them nonstop; I loved the feel of them, their technology, the way everyhing looked... but with the last patches they've been nerfed so bad it's not even funny. And add in the lack of true turrets and mines... ugh.

I'm a Guardsman now
                        1)who uses Turrets or mines any more? they are a waste of resorces ina game that pretty much promotes rushing

2)Imperial Guard got nerfed worse than the Tau did! they are currently at the very bottom and the Tau have more players than them!

Comment

1)who uses Turrets or mines any more? they are a waste of resorces ina game that pretty much promotes rushing

2)Imperial Guard got nerfed worse than the Tau did! they are currently at the very bottom and the Tau have more players than them!
                          1. At least with proper turrets I don't have to leave half my army behind to prevent a sneak attack... especially when the Tau unit cap is so low!

2. Actually, I'm winning quite a few games with the Guard lately. Maybe I'm just getting a lot of weak opponants, but...

Comment

1. At least with proper turrets I don't have to leave half my army behind to prevent a sneak attack... especially when the Tau unit cap is so low!

2. Actually, I'm winning quite a few games with the Guard lately. Maybe I'm just getting a lot of weak opponants, but...
                            1)in case of a sneak attack Turrets arnt going to much help (though it is odd they dont have turrets as they do have them in TT)

2)here at the statistics

ORKS
                            Wins: 432545
                            Losses: 325132
                            %: 57

CHAOS SPACE MARINES
                            Wins: 676056
                            Losses: 539059
                            %: 56

SPACE MARINES
                            Wins: 1308302
                            Losses: 1040236

ELDAR
                            Wins: 522483
                            Losses: 432796
                            %: 55

NECRONS
                            Wins: 637792
                            Losses: 551777
                            %: 54

TAU EMPIRE
                            Wins: 748436
                            Losses: 676505
                            %: 53

IMPERIAL GUARD
                            Wins: 507483
                            Losses: 446842

Comment

1)in case of a sneak attack Turrets arnt going to much help (though it is odd they dont have turrets as they do have them in TT)

2)here at the statistics

ORKS
                              Wins: 432545
                              Losses: 325132
                              %: 57

CHAOS SPACE MARINES
                              Wins: 676056
                              Losses: 539059

SPACE MARINES
                              Wins: 1308302
                              Losses: 1040236

ELDAR
                              Wins: 522483
                              Losses: 432796
                              %: 55

NECRONS
                              Wins: 637792
                              Losses: 551777
                              %: 54

TAU EMPIRE
                              Wins: 748436
                              Losses: 676505

IMPERIAL GUARD
                              Wins: 507483
                              Losses: 446842
                              How is that bad? They only have a 4% lower win-to-loss ratio than the leaders, that's good by anyone's standards.

Comment

Working...
                              X