The gate overloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gate overloader

Why was it created? I know Anubis used it to overload gates, hence its name but I can't see the Ancients using it for this purpose. They had ships and, I'd imagine, any enemies of theirs would of had ships as well; so if they wanted to have a battle they would take their ships and blow them up that way.

My guess is that it may well have been to recharge DHDs, which we know run out.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

I think it was either to recharge the DHDs (nice idea that, hadn't occurred to me before)
    OR
    It was a kinda of poor-man's ZPM, although probably not using subspace energy. It channeled large amounts of energy into the gate, therefore its possible that it was made to enable intergalactic gate travel without a ZPM.

Wonder where it got all it's power from?

Comment

Well considering it didn't actually require large amounts of energy at once (it operated on a principle of slow, continual build-up over time), it wouldn't require a ZPM or anything exotic, just a standard Naquadah or cold fusion generator like the ones in DHDs or the one used to power the Da'kara Standing Wave Generator.

The reason ZPMs are required to dial another galaxy is that it requires a MASSIVE burst of energy; more than a DHD is able to provide (in electrical terms it's the current that's the problem, not the capacity), whereas ZPMs are able to provide power at a faster rate than most conventional generators, with the possible exception of Asgard Neutrinto Ion Generators; although considering how ZPMs are essentially just massive batteries, it's not really a good comparison.

But yeah, it stands to reason the Stargate Overloader just used a conventional DHD-style generator, possibly on a larger scale.

EDIT: I do like the concept of them being used to recharge DHDs, but since the DHDs use a cold fusion generator, that implies the use of fuel rather than an electrical buffer that could be recharged.

Comment

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
        Why was it created? I know Anubis used it to overload gates, hence its name but I can't see the Ancients using it for this purpose. They had ships and, I'd imagine, any enemies of theirs would of had ships as well; so if they wanted to have a battle they would take their ships and blow them up that way.

My guess is that it may well have been to recharge DHDs, which we know run out.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
        It's possible that the way Anubis used it wasn't optimal. He really set it to a low power input, not to tick off the sensors.

It could be possible that the device would be able to instantly blow up a stargate by sending massive amounts of energy (jumping gate protocol disabled beforehand) and saturating the ending stargate with no possibility to reject energy back into the wormhole.
        The real question would be how would the device withstand the backdraft?
        It would be dealing with a Chain Reaction like event.

The DHD recharging idea is something I toyed with as well, but I like to relate the device to something more in touch with things going boom for some reason.
        It might have been used by some Lantians who returned from Atlantis to destroy critical stargates used by the Goa'uld.
        Besides, while the stargate can definitively store energy (that's how I believe Thor managed to reactivate the stargate back to his galaxy by using his hand device), I don't think the energy link works from stargate to DHD. You may actually end frying the much more fragile DHD, while just sending a robot or someone to change the crystal seems just as good, and easier to keep an eye on.
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

What powers a standard gate?

Is it a generator or a battery?

If it's a kind of battery, then my idea of the overloader being a recharger may be right. The Ancients could signal their friends at one gate whose DHDs are running out, tell them to reconfigure their gate and DHD to store energy amd then power away.

I imagine the overloader was powered by a ZPM as it kept te Earth gate open for a long period of time and we know that requires massive amounts of energy, only ZPMs and black holes have done it in te past.

It would of done the job far more quickly had we opened the iris.

Comment

Hmmm, I'm not sure the Goa'uld would really have factored into the equation tbh. In fact, we haven't really seen any indication that the Ancients were even AWARE of the Goa'uld (or at least had any form of confrontation with them), since they were off in Pegasus when the Goa'uld came to power.

In fact, if they HAD had any dealings with the Goa'uld, then I daresay then they would've become aware of Atlantis, and would probably have been frantically searching for it for the last 10,000 years; and yet we've seen no indication that the Goa'uld had ever HEARD of Atlantis or Pegasus, or were even aware that the Ancients had returned to our galaxy recently.

Comment

What powers a standard gate?

Is it a generator or a battery?

If it's a kind of battery, then my idea of the overloader being a recharger may be right. The Ancients could signal their friends at one gate whose DHDs are running out, tell them to reconfigure their gate and DHD to store energy amd then power away.

I imagine the overloader was powered by a ZPM as it kept te Earth gate open for a long period of time and we know that requires massive amounts of energy, only ZPMs and black holes have done it in te past.

It would of done the job far more quickly had we opened the iris.
              It's a cold fusion generator (deuterium powered, I would assume) in the bottom of the DHD; it's visible in the DHD specifications that O'Neill draws for Carter when he has the information downloaded from the Repository of Knowledge.

Comment

it was probably used to prevent the other people from fleeing the planet thru the gate. the ancients could then go to the planet and attack. the overloading could be a side effect or the final nail in the coffin by taking out people trying to wait until the gate shuts down.

Comment

But why would the Ancients do that? They didn't have any enemies here who could possibly be a threat to them. It would be totally OTT.

Comment

But why would the Ancients do that? They didn't have any enemies here who could possibly be a threat to them. It would be totally OTT.
                    it could have been a failed device to keep the gate open for long periods and the overload was a side effect. the ancients did have some devices that almost worked. that or it actually worked and Anubis changed it so it would destroy gates.

Comment

If it had variable power output, they may have used it to cause the gate's wormhole to jump to the second nearest available gate in the network, much as they used an directed charge to do so when the gate was connected to the black hole.

In that case, it may be been designed as a "safe environment" with which to test gates that were reported to be malfunctioning; that way, if they accidentally dialed into a black hole or a magma chamber or something, they could artifically disengage the wormhole by causing it to jump to another gate then deactivating it.

Comment

Ancients returned 10k years ago, from what I can remember, Goa'uld began their rise about 8k years ago.
                        Also, since when are DHDs powered by cold fusion? The paper Jack wrote did not indicate any sort of thing. So until you submit proof, it can not be said that the DHD uses cold fusion.
                        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                        Zatnikitelman

Comment

It could be possible that in a standard Gate > DHD set up, there is a link that uses the power from an incoming wormhole to keep the DHD topped up, better that than having to remember to recharge them once in a while.

It would therefore be something related to the dialing computer setup we have that meant the power kept ramping up. Anubis should have known we didn't have a DHD and therefore that he could use the device to overload our gate.

In fact, it makes very little sense that the Ancients would build something specifically to destroy gates, why not just go get them if it was required, certainly less expensive in terms of materials and time.
                          Nu ani Anquietas :: We are the Ancients, well some of us

Comment

As said before, to fill the gate's capacitor then use that potentially harmful energy if not shut down in time for some one time only productive use, such as dialing another galaxy. Or that could have been some planetary defense weapon that anubis just totaly screwed with turning it into a gate destroyer.
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

i think it was made to remotely shut down stargates. anubis added extra power and used it to blow the gate up. although a far dial is a nice idea too. perhaps its pre-zpm technology?

Comment

Working...
                              X