Escape from Midway #SPOILERS FOR MIDWAY#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escape from Midway #SPOILERS FOR MIDWAY#

One of the biggest questions post-midway seems to be whether or not the gates were destroyed when the station self destructed; and the reason why most people seem to think the gates DID go bye-bye is that they didn't simply dial up the Pegasus gate and head back to Atlantis rather than waiting for rescue.

However, I was thinking; it's quite possible that the jumper at Midway didn't have a copy of the forwarding macro, and unless McKay knew the exact co-ordinates of every gate in the chain, I doubt he'd have be able to re-write it without access to the gate positioning data (probably held on the Midway computers & Atlantis's database).

Essentially meaning the gate may have been sitting there (and fully functional), but with no means of dialing it.

OR, the gates were most likely powered by Midway's power generators; after the station went boom, there would have been no way to power the gates and therefore dial out without doing an EVA and hooking up a Naquadah generator to the gate manually... considering they took Shepherd out of that spacesuit before getting in the jumper, there would've been no way to do so.

or the gate was ejected by the explosion and impossible to fly through due to spinning/speed etc

with no tractor beam on the jumper, it would have to be 'rammed' to a stop lol
    Last edited by rlr149; 18 February 2008, 10:51 AM.
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Comment

exactly the gates where probably spinning in all sorts of directions, without power generators.

The new Midway should be two stargates in space, and all flights through are done by jumpers. A jumper flys through docks with the station. after the 24 hour quartine period the jumper takes off again and flys through the next series.

that way point defense systems can be used and ground assualt teams are useless. Communications can still happen as radio signals don't need space suits.

Wraith may use darts but they won't last long againist a handful of rail guns behind even a weak shield.

Comment

Thats probally the best idea. That way we can prevent this from happening again.
        What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My question is what did tehy do for a bathroom in the jumper
          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
          A Face you Can Trust
          sigpic
          So whats the worst that could happen?
          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Is it just me or is it completely dumb that Midway didnt have any form of an iris for either gate?

And also, why did the SGC lower there iris once Midway dialed in? I mean, even with an IDC, theres protocol in place. Teal'c and Ronin, from what we know, were the only 2 people waiting to go to earth, which im sure the SGC knew about. Given that fact, they should know that the 24 hours on the quarantine were not up, in which case they shouldnt be going through the gate unless its an emergency situation.

Its easy, really....

Atlantis dials midway. Sends a communication regarding whos going through. IDC received, voice confirmation received, iris lowered, person go to midway. Gateroom marines stay on guard just in case ('They Eye', 'The Storm')

Wait 24 hours.

Midway dials sgc. Sends a communication regarding whos going through or nature of dialing. IDC received, voice confirmation received, iris lowered, persons go to SGC. Gateroom marines stay on guard just in case (how many foothold situations have occurred at the SGC???)

And kavanagh should of been beamed out into space for his 'brilliant' move

Comment

They could also require individual IDCs instead of a global one. Physically separate the 'Gates into two heavily shielded blast chambers. Have a single access route directly between them. Maintain a continuous armed guard throughout the station. Make those rooms I talked about Ejectable, or atleast have it so the floor opens like a door to the vacuum of space rapidly.
              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Or have two midway stations and you beams across to the other. (Both stations need to lower a shield for this to work) so if one station is overrun, they still need to get to the next one.

Comment

I want to know why Walter just stared at that obviously hostile device and let it do its funky energy wave thing, instead of ordering the marines to blow it up or contain it or something. It was easily recognisable as wraith!

Comment

Recognize as a threat yes. But he would not recognize wraith tech.

Comment

Originally posted by jonty-comp View Post
                      I want to know why Walter just stared at that obviously hostile device and let it do its funky energy wave thing, instead of ordering the marines to blow it up or contain it or something. It was easily recognisable as wraith!
                      I agree. Even if he didn't realise it was of Wraith design, having an unidentified object come rolling through the gate isn't usually a good sign. Also given how the gate bridge works, I don't know how it is possible to send an IDC.
                      sigpic

Comment

My favorite parts were when Teal'c said he wanted one of Ronons guns and Ronon said get in line and when that new IOA member told Ronon they were leaveing he just took off after Teal'c. That was a pretty good part. And now that Teal'c has been fed on, im willing to bet hes about a 150 now.
                        What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think the gates were destroyed. To make sure the Midway got completely destroyed, the builders would hook the explosive devices directly into the stargates. The naquadah in the gate would magnify the explosive power thus ensuring the complete destruction of the midway.

Kavanaugh is an idiot.

How did Sheppard get into the space suit?

I think the toilet is hidden below one of the Jumper benches, and it pulls out. Of course, this is pure imagination, but it would be good place for it; saves space.
                          sigpic
                          Doctor Who and Top Gear
                          The only thing better would be if I won the lottery.

Comment

i don't think a jumper could have survived the explosion of 2 gates. it was pretty close. so my guess is both stargates have been retrieved by the daedalus

Comment

Yeah, but the jumpers can go really really fast, and they have shields. Plus, an explosion is only as big as its fuel source. Fire needs oxygen, and once all the oxygen in the Midway was gone, the explosion disappeared.
                              sigpic
                              Doctor Who and Top Gear
                              The only thing better would be if I won the lottery.

Comment

Working...
                              X