Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-699: My Gripes and Viewpoint

Okay, the X-699 pisses me off.

Not the item itself, but the reaction to it here on the forum. Most people, for some strange reason, seem to be under the misguided impression that it was a real, SERIOUS piece of hardware. I constantly see posts like, "they should mass produce the X-699", or "the X-699 will replace rail guns eventually".

What people seem to be missing the point of is that the X-699 was a JOKE. Or at least, it was a joke for us - the viewers. The X-699 was a enlarged, inefficient version of technology we already have (like the ARG, for example), which the RAF were demonstrating to the public in order to show a "natural" progression towards the technologies we already have, rather than having to explain the fact we got the technology through contact with alien races.

We've already shown that we can quite easily produce working energy weapons (the ARGs, the Kull disruptors, etc); the X-699 was NEVER intended for use by the SGC, merely for demonstration to the public. As for those of you who've linked it to Felger's weapon, I should point out that Felger himself was a comic relief character, and therefore anything he was working on should be considered with almost joke-like status. If they WERE working on Earth-built energy weapons, it most likely would've been Carter or DECENT scientists who were doing so, not someone who had as much failure in his career as Felger.

Not to mention that we have enough prowess working with Naquadah and crystal technology we'd be easily able to produce Earth-equivelants of Staff weapons, Zats, etc; IF WE NEEDED TO. But the reality is we have such massive stockpiles of Goa'uld and Wraith weaponry that energy weapons designed and manufactured by us are really on the back-burner, so to speak. If we DID produce something, it wouldn't be as big, clunky or unreliable as the X-699 (I should point out that it was DESIGNED to misfire so as to give the public the impression the technology hadn't been perfected yet).

What do you mean felgar designed that weapon (possibly) it's probably the best thing he's ever done lol. I don't see why the reaction 'pisses you off', earth was trying to design an energy weapon.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
      What do you mean felgar designed that weapon (possibly) it's probably the best thing he's ever done lol. I don't see why the reaction 'pisses you off', earth was trying to design an energy weapon.
      It pisses him off because we weren't trying to design a energy weapon, we designed an energy weapon that looked like we were trying to develop one. That was the whole point of his post. **slaps head**

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
        It pisses him off because we weren't trying to design a energy weapon, we designed an energy weapon that looked like we were trying to develop one. That was the whole point of his post. **slaps head**
        exactly.

Comment

... see?

I'm glad some of you get the point

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
            ... see?

I'm glad some of you get the point
            yes i've noticed alot of people believing x-699 are some uber earth weapon, why is it every time they show a new tech people belive it's "uber"?

Comment

I never expected it so be completed or be seen again anyway...

Comment

I don't see why it pisses you off though, it's so insignificant.
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                  I don't see why it pisses you off though, it's so insignificant.
                  Because in EVERY thread about future weaponry or ships or power sources or Earth tech, people bring it up as "the next big thing", when it was NEVER intended to be by TPTB.

Comment

while you are quite correct the x-699 style weapon should be used to replace rail guns on the 304's and 302's. Rail guns are useless againist shielded opponents and leave a battle field litterd with bullets. remember there is no fricition in space so rail gun bullets just keep on flying until they get manipulated by gravity.

Also note that 302's haven't been shown to have anything other than missiles for space fighting. while they might have railguns, an energy weapon would be a lot better to have around.

uber nope, useful definitely. Of course I am also of the group that wonders why the SGC doesn't have a couple of tel'tak's or other kind of hyperdrive enabled scout ship yet. If Vala could buy one easily, why not go back and buy two or three to have around.

Comment

The X-699 wasn't made to misfire it was essentially rigged to misfire for the purposes of the demonstration.

One year it doesn't work, next year WOW it does.

The ARGs and the Kull disruptors are weapons built for one purpose only; you could shoot them at: your friends, family, neighbours till the cows came home and they'll have no effect what so ever; unless your acquaintances happen to be be replicators or Kull warriors, in which case there won't be many people coming to your parties.

The X-699 is an Earth tech energy weapon; like the F-302 is an Earth tech fighter. Were it not that we've recently received Asgard weapons, I'd of imagined that the X-699 would of been deployed on the F-302s and as close in weaponry on the BC 304s.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                        while you are quite correct the x-699 style weapon should be used to replace rail guns on the 304's and 302's.
                        No.

You don't seem to get what I'm saying. If we wanted to make energy weapons, they WOULDN'T be anything like the X-699. It's insanely below the SGC's current level of technology.

Considering we can produce Asgard beam weapons (and probably scale them down for F-302s if need be), ARGs, and other similar things, why on earth would we produce a large, bulky, inefficient design that was intended purely to bridge the gap between SGC-level technology and stuff ready for public disclosure? It's no more powerful than a staff weapon or a Zat, and yet 30 times the size. That's not because we CAN'T produce things as small as Zats and staff weapons (look at the Kull Disruptor, it's about the size of a cigarette lighter), but because we can't tell the public that we can.

Comment

Screw the X-699. its not that big of a deal. As for the 302s, i say we ought scale down the new Asgard Energy Weapons, and use them on it. As for the Railguns on the BC-304s, yes, they are obsolete. But we need some other type of weapon on the BC-304s beside the Energy Weapons.
                          Last edited by Cap.Dylan Hunt; 18 February 2008, 09:54 AM. Reason: To fix typing error
                          What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                            Because in EVERY thread about future weaponry or ships or power sources or Earth tech, people bring it up as "the next big thing", when it was NEVER intended to be by TPTB.
                            I understand, I've never thought that, theres much better weapons that already exist
                            Best quotes ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Cap.Dylan Hunt View Post
                              As for the Railguns on the BC-304s, yes, they are obsolete. But we need some other type of weapon on the BC-304s beside the Energy Weapons.
                              You know what I want?

Space-based Zat guns.

Would be INCREDIBLE against the Wraith; think about how amazing it'd be if you went out into battle, fired it at a hive ship and then it just sat there dead in space. Would be like the Y-Wing's ion cannons from Star Wars.

Comment

Working...
                              X