X-303/304 windows question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-303/304 windows question

Are they windows or shields? Just wondering...because I thought you can't have windows in hyperspace.

Forcefield

Beware I have friends and they are watching
    Sig courtesy of LadyBozi. Thank you so much!
    += FAT BABIES! Teyla/Ronon rules!
    Spoiler:

R.I.P Carson, for now.
    Courtesy of LadyBozi

Save Elizabeth now!!!

Comment

They look like windows, and I don't think that when the prommy was first launched they would have been able to put sheilds for every window, the chances are they are windows with the writers ignoring that early sg1 fact.
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

I'm pretty certain that Teal'c was referring to basic glass when he said that transparent materials can't be used on hyperspace-capable ships. Considering that we have Perspex, Polycarbonate, Diamond-coated glass, etc; I think it's within reason that we'd be able to create a material capable of withstanding the forces and radiation present in hyperspace transport.

Also, I should point out that our ships have shields around them while in hyperspace, hence why the radiation doesn't affect us (unlike Wraith ships which have to drop out of hyperspace to recover from the radiation since they don't have shields).

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
          I'm pretty certain that Teal'c was referring to basic glass when he said that transparent materials can't be used on hyperspace-capable ships. Considering that we have Perspex, Polycarbonate, Diamond-coated glass, etc; I think it's within reason that we'd be able to create a material capable of withstanding the forces and radiation present in hyperspace transport.

Also, I should point out that our ships have shields around them while in hyperspace, hence why the radiation doesn't affect us (unlike Wraith ships which have to drop out of hyperspace to recover from the radiation since they don't have shields).
          How do we have sheilds when no even the asgard do? The asgard said they have no sheilds or weapons because all of the power is used up maintaning the hyperspace window? Or do you mean a much lesser sheild just designed to stop that type of radiation. Atlantis is the only ship I have ever seen with a visible sheild.
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

I think they would be, as everytime the ship had a widespread powerloss, then the shields would go too.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
              How do we have sheilds when no even the asgard do? The asgard said they have no sheilds or weapons because all of the power is used up maintaning the hyperspace window? Or do you mean a much lesser sheild just designed to stop that type of radiation. Atlantis is the only ship I have ever seen with a visible sheild.
              Considering how the power requirements for Hyperspace aren't THAT excessive (although thinking about it, the Asgard ships are MUCH bigger than ours - perhaps the amount of power required to keep the window open is exponentially higher for larger ships), I think what he really meant was that the ship wasn't "combat ready" in Hyperspace; ie, the shields would be ineffective against enemy fire.

Comment

I believe that the windows on the X-303/304 would be made of a extremely thick and resilient transparent material with reinforcing force-fields and armored blastshields that could be deployed in case of failure.

but then again this is stargate so they probably havent thought it through.
                Another problem would be Sheppards fighter that pulled a Millenium Falcon manouvre on the hive ship that then entered hyperspace, how would he have survived the radiation through the fighters canopy.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
                  Another problem would be Sheppards fighter that pulled a Millenium Falcon manouvre on the hive ship that then entered hyperspace, how would he have survived the radiation through the fighters canopy.
                  I daresay it's probably just that the hyperspace trip was a fairly short one, and the dose of radiation he got was very mild. Either that, or the inertial dampners/structural integrity field of the F-302 blocked it out.

On a completely unrelated note, saw this while looking up hive ships and hyperspace...

Spoiler:

Comment

I believe that the windows on the X-303/304 would be made of a extremely thick and resilient transparent material with reinforcing force-fields and armored blastshields that could be deployed in case of failure.

but then again this is stargate so they probably havent thought it through.
                    The f302 was originally design to fly through hyperspace using a naquadria, so they design it to block out the radiaton. Plus their is a chance that the radiation is just flaw in either how the wraith generate a hyperspace window or sustain the hyperdrive. A other idea is that the wraith was in such a hurry to build their vessel they made the mistake and built in a flaw which that they was effected by some sought of radiation which does not effect human tissues.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                      Considering how the power requirements for Hyperspace aren't THAT excessive (although thinking about it, the Asgard ships are MUCH bigger than ours - perhaps the amount of power required to keep the window open is exponentially higher for larger ships), I think what he really meant was that the ship wasn't "combat ready" in Hyperspace; ie, the shields would be ineffective against enemy fire.
                      No because the replicators would have raised sheilds when they detected the oneill was going to self destruct. I should also imagine the power is a problem, there were no weapons either in hyperspace.
                      Best quotes ever:

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                        No because the replicators would have raised sheilds when they detected the oneill was going to self destruct. I should also imagine the power is a problem, there were no weapons either in hyperspace.
                        Might not be a power problem, it might be that defensive shields are unable to be generated in a sub-space environment, the same could be true for directed energy weapons. Sub-Space radiation could disrupt the shields making them ineffective, it might also dissipate energy weapons. Projectile weapon might be destroyed by shear ect. or have their trajectory warped.
                        sigpic

Comment

Might not be a power problem, it might be that defensive shields are unable to be generated in a sub-space environment, the same could be true for directed energy weapons. Sub-Space radiation could disrupt the shields making them ineffective, it might also dissipate energy weapons. Projectile weapon might be destroyed by shear ect. or have their trajectory warped.
                          but Atlantis's shield worked in hyperspace
                          Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                          Anime signature in spoiler tag
                          Spoiler:
                          Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
                            but Atlantis's shield worked in hyperspace
                            Special case, although Atlantis does have to use 3 ZPM for hyperspace travel usually. Perhaps it takes enormous amounts of power to overcome the destabilising effects caused by hyperspace travel.
                            sigpic

Comment

Its transparent aluminum! Couldn't resist.

Comment

Working...
                              X