Shields and Nuclear Bombs ...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shields and Nuclear Bombs ...?

Do nuclear bombs/explosions do damage to shields, because i don't quite remember it that well but apophis's ship took a direct hit to the shield's ..(not sure if the nuke went off or the missile hit the shield and failed to detonate) and did no damage, yet, the daedalus was damaged by goauld/lucian alliance space mines in that episode.
    Here's a pic.

Someone please explain this to me, as i am modding this game and making a few StarGate ship's so i need to know this.
    Last edited by pbutter; 14 February 2008, 08:29 AM. Reason: oops, wrong pic.

i would say yes...
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

From the visual of the missiles hitting Apophis's shields, most people would say they didn't detonate (myself included).
      But there was a piece of dialouge saying the EMP was effecting things, which would lead you to believe that they DID detonate.

Also... why wouldn't a nuclear explosion damage shields?

Comment

Well, then that settles it, nukes do damage shields.
        However, why dont they use nuke-armed missiles on shielded vessels.. uhhh... those writers !!!

Comment

You would have to design/time them to go off on impact. There's no reason a nuclear explosion wouldn't damage a shield, you just have to make it go off when it hits.

Comment

Why will a nuclear explosion in space not inflict so much damage???

Its quit simple to fully jus the destructive power of a nuke you need matter and that is non in the vacuum of space (jah jay not exactly throw There is space dust, and the matter of the casing but enough for a hungry nuke)

And a shield prevents a nuke to go off on a ship’s hull (matter)

Any more questions ?????????
            sorry cant spell

Comment

Well i do know that heat travels as radiation in space and shielding should protect against radiation, well. i see what you are getting at.
              ... so in reference to the game that i am modding (armada 2), should i make a tauri nuke damage.. say a Goauld Hatak while shielded ?

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
                Well i do know that heat travels as radiation in space and shielding should protect against radiation, well. i see what you are getting at.
                ... so in reference to the game that i am modding (armada 2), should i make a tauri nuke damage.. say a Goauld Hatak while shielded ?
                2x the damage of a standard rocket agents a shielded opponent, 10x agenst a unshielded opponent?? Perhaps.
                Thad would I do.
                sorry cant spell

Comment

Originally posted by kefke20 View Post
                  Why will a nuclear explosion in space not inflict so much damage???

Its quit simple to fully jus the destructive power of a nuke you need matter and that is non in the vacuum of space (jah jay not exactly throw There is space dust, and the matter of the casing but enough for a hungry nuke)

And a shield prevents a nuke to go off on a ship’s hull (matter)

Any more questions ?????????
                  True, but there is still the massive energy burst. It's not near the same as when you have matter to create a shock wave, but strong nontheless.

Damage to the Hatak itself? Or to the shields? I'd guess a nuke would drain the shields 10-20%, maybe, and not damage the ship itself at all.

Comment

I believe that the nukes impact but not detonate, when they do hit there is a small fision activity but not enough for the nuke to detonate, but still release some EM radiation.
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

People have speculated before that the EMP thing in serpents grasp came from the naquadain the missile being destroyed/energised by the shields. Apparently there was some earlier episode where Sam was experimenting with a small amount of naquada and she set off a huge EMP by accident.

Comment

i would say the damage would be very much reduced, but yes i think a nuke should do damage
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                          People have speculated before that the EMP thing in serpents grasp came from the naquadain the missile being destroyed/energised by the shields. Apparently there was some earlier episode where Sam was experimenting with a small amount of naquada and she set off a huge EMP by accident.
                          Yes, their first portable naqahdah generator did generate an EMP burst when she fiddled with the device's naqahdah, and all equipments in the base went out.
                          An identical generator was used years later, on an alpha base attacked by an Ash'rak (just for the record eh, no real link).

It depends on what the shields are made of. If they're particles held on in place, using nukes would be much more effective than using them against things like tight magnetic fields.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
                          X