Better combat scenes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better combat scenes?

Does anyone else think that they need better combat scenes on the ground? i mean instead of making it look friendly make it the same way band of brothers combat scenes were made

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

What do you mean by freindly, how is getting shot at by people that want to kill you in one way or another freindly? Though I wold agree to some extent that more variation in battle scenes and being made in different ways would be cool.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
      What do you mean by freindly, how is getting shot at by people that want to kill you in one way or another freindly? Though I wold agree to some extent that more variation in battle scenes and being made in different ways would be cool.
      Friendly as in they make things look to easy and not enough explosions or military tactic involved it just involves them firing loads of ammo doing little damage to the enemy and retreating

Comment

Originally posted by True!Ancient View Post
        Friendly as in they make things look to easy and not enough explosions or military tactic involved it just involves them firing loads of ammo doing little damage to the enemy and retreating
        That is what most combat looks like.

And there are certainly enough explosions... I've seen that look before, Michael Bay.

Comment

I want to see more combat scenes like we got in Heroes II. For the record, I hated Band of Brothers and its combat scenes. I loathe that "extra-shakey handheld cam" style and they paired it with an offset shutter, which is okay on its own but...

But Heroes II gave us a large-scale ground battle that had lots of action (that we could clearly see) along with some nifty explosions and lots of yelling. Give me more of that and I'll be a happy Canuck
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

The best ground fighting ive seen on a sci fi tv show is the sg-1 episode were dr frazier got killed off and oniell got wounded

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
              That is what most combat looks like.

And there are certainly enough explosions... I've seen that look before, Michael Bay.
              Combat doesnt involve 1 or 2 people firing loads of ammo at an enemy missing neerly every shot, it involves teams of around 9-10 people taking up firing positions and moving forward with lots of shouting

Comment

Agreed.

To bad the shows aren’t on a network like Showtime anymore.

The Wraith stunner bolts “spattering” on people without putting a hole in them looks like a cartoon character getting pelted with cream pies, or water balloons.

At least with the Jaffa staff weapons we were occasionally treated to a hole getting put in some one, & they had to step up their game by making those ablative panels that they started slipping into their vest.

The show is way to clinical for a sci-fi/action adventure series that utilizes firearms as its main (well for the main cast that is) form of small arm (as opposed to the cutely DEW’s like the stunner & zat). It’s like the A-Team in space LOL.

This is undoubtedly the part where some one tells me to go watch something else, but oh well.
                sigpic
                Spoiler:
                Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
                *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
                DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
                DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

I don't have a problem with the Stargate battles how they are. However, I would like to see some larger scale ground battles. It's almost always a small unit vs small number of enemy, or vs a large number and they have to surrender. I would like to see something akin to the 'The Lost City part 1' or 'The Siege part 2' when you have larger ground battles with more then just small arms fire, but on a grander scale. Something like BAMSR, but ground warfare.

Comment

^“Heroes” is another good example of a large scale battle done right.

Plus the good thing about the Atlantis episode(s) you mentioned “The Siege” we see Ford & company actually act like Marines and go down swinging…good stuff there.

That constant throwing up of the hands from the characters like JarJar Binks saying “my give up” gets real old real fast LOL.
                    sigpic
                    Spoiler:
                    Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
                    *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
                    DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
                    DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

Id be down with seeing heads pop like watermellons! Graphic violence ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by Argosy View Post
                        The Wraith stunner bolts “spattering” on people without putting a hole in them looks like a cartoon character getting pelted with cream pies, or water balloons.
                        At least's been explained in-world by the fact that the Wraith need to keep their human captives alive so they can be feed upon later. Kinda hard to feed on a dead guy

While more graphic violence would be great (I'm particularly fond of how they whacked Janet) I'm not dissatisfied with what we've got now. Except that we need more swords.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by True!Ancient View Post
                          Combat doesnt involve 1 or 2 people firing loads of ammo at an enemy missing neerly every shot, it involves teams of around 9-10 people taking up firing positions and moving forward with lots of shouting
                          It involves battalions of troops. There is only one way to solve this (which I've been hoping for for a long time): war. WAR. what we need is for our characters to actually get into a war. Not the "we fight the Goa'uld on missions -Goauld war; we fight the Replicators (MW and PG) on missions- Replicator war; we fight Apophis, Anubis, Apophis and Anubis wars; we fight the Ori occassionally - Ori war" and so on and so on. We need actual war, with sides declaring war, and most stories in some form or fashion devoted to or influenced by the atmosphere of galactic war. That's what we need, along with a build-up of an Earth intergalactic fleet (with the assistance of large-sized matter-converters). That's what the franchise needs. That's what I'm attempting to portray in my game (link's in my sig).

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

The land battles need to be between battalions of Earth soldiers against soldiers from a race like Earth*. Let's face it. The Jaffa, Ori, Genii, and Wraith don't know how to fight as good as Earth soldiers. Or in the same style. They have no real military tactics. Earth soldiers are trained in the art of war. MODERN WAR. Stargate has not captured MODERN WARFARE. At most they've captured WWI warfare. And that's a stretch. In fact, Stargate has not displayed warfare. They've displayed skirmishes. They need true battles. Heroes II came the closest to it, but even it was a far ways off. The Jaffa, Wraith, and Ori, despite having advanced technology, fight like American/French revolutionary war era soldiers. The Genii fight like civil war era soldiers (not even like actual soldiers, more like a group of guerilla forces). Stargate needs to develop MODERN WARFARE. Translation: bring in the full force of the military. Combat better enemies. More large scale operations; less small scale exploratory missions. More militarization of offworld "alpha sites", perhaps even better "Midway" stations (normal stations, w/o a Stargate).

*human race very similar in every way to Earth
                            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                              The land battles need to be between battalions of Earth soldiers against soldiers from a race like Earth*. Let's face it. The Jaffa, Ori, Genii, and Wraith don't know how to fight as good as Earth soldiers. Or in the same style. They have no real military tactics. Earth soldiers are trained in the art of war. MODERN WAR. Stargate has not captured MODERN WARFARE (*CALL OF DUTY 4?). At most they've captured WWI warfare. And that's a stretch. In fact, Stargate has not displayed warfare. They've displayed skirmishes. They need true battles. Heroes II came the closest to it, but even it was a far ways off. The Jaffa, Wraith, and Ori, despite having advanced technology, fight like American/French revolutionary war era soldiers. The Genii fight like civil war era soldiers (not even like actual soldiers, more like a group of guerilla forces). Stargate needs to develop MODERN WARFARE. Translation: bring in the full force of the military. Combat better enemies. More large scale operations; less small scale exploratory missions. More militarization of offworld "alpha sites", perhaps even better "Midway" stations (normal stations, w/o a Stargate).

*human race very similar in every way to Earth
                              I agree fully. Warfare is the only way to capture true combat. No doubt Stargate has captured combat, but it needs warfare to truly have all of the things we want in Stargate: interesting and diverse characters, a deep and engaging story, a cool and powerful, yet manageable enemy, amazing visuals, and something set in our own timeline.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Working...
                              X