This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's happening to SGA?

The show's gone completely sideways... Lost its vision, lost its character... It's becoming another 'me too' Sci Fi show: put some aliens in + put it on another planet = got yourself a Sci Fi show. Now: add space ships that make big explosions and some 36-24-36 'doctors' and 'officers' = got yourself a GREAT Sci Fi show. Then: kill off half of major characters that actually add some substance and replace them with more 36-24-36 'doctors' and 'officers' = emotionally turbulent GREAT Sci Fi show. Finally: should it by some cosmic coincidence happen that you replace a major character that adds substance to the show with another one that adds substance to the show - kill it off and make it 'more' emotionally turbulent. P.S. - if you somehow managed to keep some good and developed characters, retard them into comedy reliefs.

You've got yourself a Great Sci Fi show!!!

Any similarity with SGA is purely coincidental...

BLAH...
    Jure

I think that it has everything to do with the guy at the top. It all started with his statement "What the fans want has nothing to do with our decision making" or whatever it was that he said.... Basically it was "the customer is always wrong". His first mistake was getting rid of Carson. Then he got rid of Wier and was surprised that Tori was upset????? Then they set us up with this dramatic ending to "Be all my sins..." (Annoying dramatic name for an episode) and because they screwed Tori over there will never be a follow up.

In drama one of the greatest tools is the "Setup and the Payoff" SGA fans got "The Setup and the Letdown". Now were losing Amanda and getting Picardo. Don't get me wrong I like Picardo, but SGA is now in a downward spiral, and something needs to be done fast!

FIRE MALLOZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

What's happening to SGA? It's becoming more dynamic, taking more risk, and has been given me the most anticipation since the SG-1 days. Atlantis has lost friends and watching them try to cope with the loss while trying to save the pegasus galaxy from multiple threats has left me on the edge of my seat. I still think the best is yet to come with the last 4 episodes. This season has had some of the best battles, a lot of character eps, and just some clever writing. I do hope next season can top this one.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
        I think that it has everything to do with the guy at the top. It all started with his statement "What the fans want has nothing to do with our decision making" or whatever it was that he said.... Basically it was "the customer is always wrong".
        The fans don't have anything to do with TPTB's decision-making. They can't possibly do. The fans like different things about the show, want different things from it, like some characters, hate others etc etc etc etc etc. So which fans would you suggest TPTB listen to and take into account in their decision-making?

For every fan upset over Carson's death, there's another who was pleased to see him go and another who didn't care one way or the other. For every fan mourning the loss of Weir, there's another who is glad she is gone or who prefers Carter or who would like Caldwell in command, or whatever. TPTB try and make the best show they can - they want to show to succeed because they want to stay employed! Whether or not their vision for the show meets what you want from it is another matter entirely... but there's not really a lot they can do about that.

As the saying goes, you can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time; you can never please all of the people all of the time.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MatroxMeteor View Post
          The show's gone completely sideways... Lost its vision, lost its character... It's becoming another 'me too' Sci Fi show: put some aliens in + put it on another planet = got yourself a Sci Fi show. Now: add space ships that make big explosions and some 36-24-36 'doctors' and 'officers' = got yourself a GREAT Sci Fi show. Then: kill off half of major characters that actually add some substance and replace them with more 36-24-36 'doctors' and 'officers' = emotionally turbulent GREAT Sci Fi show. Finally: should it by some cosmic coincidence happen that you replace a major character that adds substance to the show with another one that adds substance to the show - kill it off and make it 'more' emotionally turbulent. P.S. - if you somehow managed to keep some good and developed characters, retard them into comedy reliefs.

BLAH...
          Jure
          Since you've answered your own question, I can only you made this thread to get attention. The flaw in your argument is that Atlantis never had a vision, it never really had a character, until season 4 it was just a watered down version of SG-1. It's only now that Atlantis has developed a character of it's own, and the series actually feels like it has some direction to it.

Comment

What characters that?

I havent seen anything this season thats made it any better than last season.

I havent been on the edge of my seat once. ive learnt nothing I didnt know before. unless you count the fact that I now know Sg1 charcters better.

I dont think fans will ever agree on any season. I loved the first three and have only liked 4 eps so far this season. i bet theres loads of fans that felt the reverse.

I dont think that makes you right and me wrong. in this kind of thing there is no right and wrong, just your own perspective on whats good and bad.
            sigpic
            banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
              I think that it has everything to do with the guy at the top. It all started with his statement "What the fans want has nothing to do with our decision making" or whatever it was that he said.... Basically it was "the customer is always wrong". His first mistake was getting rid of Carson. Then he got rid of Wier and was surprised that Tori was upset????? Then they set us up with this dramatic ending to "Be all my sins..." (Annoying dramatic name for an episode) and because they screwed Tori over there will never be a follow up.

In drama one of the greatest tools is the "Setup and the Payoff" SGA fans got "The Setup and the Letdown". Now were losing Amanda and getting Picardo. Don't get me wrong I like Picardo, but SGA is now in a downward spiral, and something needs to be done fast!

FIRE MALLOZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Wow, that's a horribly misled view of everything.

For one thing, Brad Wright and Robert Cooper often said that they made the shows as they would like to watch, not basing it on fan opinions, even during the "golden days". For the most part this is what all shows should do, because as Alipeeps said, which fans should they listen to?

It wasn't Joe Mallozzi's decision to explode Carson, because he and Paul Mullie weren't in charge last year, and behind the scenes he seems to have been one of the main people trying to get him back.

AFAIK, we don't know all the reasons for them getting rid of Weir, or who's "fault" it ultimately is. We will be getting a follow-up to the end of BAMSR, just without Weir being there.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                Wow, that's a horribly misled view of everything.

For one thing, Brad Wright and Robert Cooper often said that they made the shows as they would like to watch, not basing it on fan opinions, even during the "golden days". For the most part this is what all shows should do, because as Alipeeps said, which fans should they listen to?

It wasn't Joe Mallozzi's decision to explode Carson, because he and Paul Mullie weren't in charge last year, and behind the scenes he seems to have been one of the main people trying to get him back.

AFAIK, we don't know all the reasons for them getting rid of Weir, or who's "fault" it ultimately is. We will be getting a follow-up to the end of BAMSR, just without Weir being there.
                It's pretty interesting, if you want Weir back, hope Brad Wright is the show runner, but then Carson will be dead again, lol. The current show runners have made it known they wanted to continue the Weir story arc at the end of "BAMSR". Whether it was one episode or like a half a dozen eps.
                sigpic

Comment

Here is a comment from the bottom of a review of TRIO:

There was a time, in my opinion, when 'Atlantis' out-classed 'SG-1'. Recently, however, it seems that the writers are just throwing out episodes so they can say that they are still on the air. This episode was just boring, much like the two or three before it. Soon to be closing out it's 4th season, I still mildly enjoy the show, but I'll be surprised if it sticks around beyond a 5th season.

Another quote from a reviewer:

They need Weir back, but she isn't coming, and they need Sam gone, which is happening. Season five is going to be rough; they need to do some serious locking up.

My personal fav quote from a review:

Next week… I am predicting it will be a half-perfect episode, as Teal'c comes to Atlantis. We have Sam and Teal'c, all we need is Jack and Daniel (Ha! Jack Daniels), change the name of Stargate: Atlantis to Stargate: SG-1 and the show will be perfect again!

Let's see, TPTB dumped Beckett, Weir, and are making Zelenka a perv. Keller is a "player" now (two separate TRIO reviews have mentioned this), We are getting a whiner leader in Woolsey, along with a new hot young chick (Capt. Vega-whatever).

What is left to like on this show? It is completely different from the SGA I saw in season 1.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                    Let's see, TPTB ... are making Zelenka a perv.
                    They're doing what now?

Comment

Well that is your opinion. I do miss Weir, but the show must go on. It is sorta what happened in Season 9 of SG-1! Yes, I was upset that O'neill was gone, but this is typical for any show to change cast. I like to look at the overall show and as a whole, not just one character. Did you know SG-1 changed their main cast every season for the last 5 years. Some were creative decisions and some were by actor's choice, just like SGA!
                      sigpic

Comment

The replicator story was a good one, but only because of the characters, at the beginning of every show it's the plot that attracts viewers, however as the show progresses its the characters that keep them. Now they've made 3 mistakes of characters: Beckett, Weir and Carter and i nmy opinion the choice of Woolsey was a bad one too. Woolsey was often outlined as an unlikeable character in episodes like Misbegotten/No-Mans Land, The Return and The Seer. I thought they're choice of Carter was poor as she has been in the stargate program for 11 years, however i did think a familiar face was what the show needed, i had hoped for either General Landry or Mitchell, but nop, we get Woolsey....fun!
                        At this rate, season 5 will decide whiether or not i continue to watch SGA....

the way the cast should be
                        www.bebo.com/4stargate-atlantis4

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          Well that is your opinion. I do miss Weir, but the show must go on. It is sorta what happened in Season 9 of SG-1! Yes, I was upset that O'neill was gone, but this is typical for any show to change cast. I like to look at the overall show and as a whole, not just one character. Did you know SG-1 changed their main cast every season for the last 5 years. Some were creative decisions and some were by actor's choice, just like SGA!
                          They brought Daniel back from the Dead/dumping Jonas after one year of not working out), and Frasier died. O'Neil wasn't a reg, but he was still recurring. Plus, the last several years of SG1 are not considered to be good - you know, when they did all those sweeping changes? It killed the show.

SGA has been dumping characters from season 1 (Ford, Bates, and Grodin). It doesn't allow for any continuity or for the audience to identify with characters when they are constantly being killed off.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                            They brought Daniel back from the Dead/dumping Jonas after one year of not working out), and Frasier died. O'Neil wasn't a reg, but he was still recurring. Plus, the last several years of SG1 are not considered to be good - you know, when they did all those sweeping changes? It killed the show.

SGA has been dumping characters from season 1 (Ford, Bates, and Grodin). It doesn't allow for any continuity or for the audience to identify with characters when they are constantly being killed off.
                            Farscape had so many changes as well, and they would of gone more seasons if the production costs did not cause an issue. As per SG-1 they had 3 leader changes within 3 seasons. I thought Season 8 was a great season. Yeah I missed Hammod of Texas and O'neill going on missions in almost every episode, but it still was a great season for me. Season 9 was so so, my least favorite, but then Season 10 I loved.

Maybe Season 5 of SGA will be even better than S4 for certain folks, who knows.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MatroxMeteor View Post

BLAH...
                              Jure
                              OH MY GOD THOSE CHARACTERS HAVE BOOBS. HOW ARE WE EXPECTED TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY WHEN THEY HAVE BOOBS. AND NICE BUTTS. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD.
                              *slap*
                              Sorry, had a Cloverfield moment at the end there.

SG1 killed off Teryl's character for absolutely no reason, offered no closure, and brought her back for one episode.
                              We're getting Carson back.

After 7 years of Don Davis we got two (three-ish) new leaders in as many years. We got RDA for one year (former SG1 team member) and then Landry, who we had never seen before.
                              SGA lost Weir and then had Carter for a year, and then Woolsey, a known character who was a lot of room to grow and learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X