PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to tune in?

Ice Wolf
February 12th, 2008, 12:14 AM
With all the turmoil involving cast changes and the general direction the show has been taking are you going to tune in to watch season 5?

I used to love Atlantis, I caught the episodes as soon as I could, however with all that's happened I've become apathetic towards the show. I don't really care if i miss episodes any more. A lot of this has to do with the cast changes. Weir was a major thing that kept me interested in the show. Through the last few seasons of SG-1 I had gotten a bit bored with it and watched more out of habit and cause Atlantis was coming up etc. Weir was what kept me watching the show cause she was a major part of what made the show fresh.

Another reason for my wane in interest has been because for some reason I had begun to expect more out of the show than I was getting. I wanted tighter more intelligent storytelling and it just didn't seem to be what we were getting. I guess i saw that Atlantis could be so much more and that for whatever reason it wasn't reaching its potential.

I might catch a few episodes of Season 5 but i don't seeing me being the regular viewer i was through seasons 1-3. Which is a shame as Atlantis was my favourite show.

SierraGolf-OneNiner
February 12th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I'm not tuning in.

With this craptacular crap that was Season 4 and those completely stupid cast changes and the lack of intelligent(writing), entertaining and thought provoking episodes I decided that I am done with this show.

However I might catch some scenes on YouTube to find out if this show rebounds to its former glory. But as for now I'm done with it.

redrama9
February 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'm not tuning in.

With this craptacular crap that was Season 4 and those completely stupid cast changes and the lack of intelligent(writing), entertaining and thought provoking episodes I decided that I am done with this show.

However I might catch some scenes on YouTube to find out if this show rebounds to its former glory. But as for now I'm done with it.

Clearly you aren’t done with it because your on a stargate site and therefore your life in some way still involves stargate

Ice Wolf
February 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Clearly you aren’t done with it because your on a stargate site and therefore your life in some way still involves stargate

To be clear they said done with watching the show, they can still be interested enough in the Stargate universe to come to Stargate site.

But to get back to the question are you going to tune in ?

Stef
February 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM
That's not necessarily true. I am on this board to talk more about SG-1 than SGA.

Personally, I've been trying to keep with SGA...I've been giving it a chance every week to prove itself and so far it hasn't. I've seen brief glimmers of the show I used to love, but something about it just doesn't feel right anymore. The ideas are good, the writing isn't particularly bad (depending on the episode), but it lost something this season. Whether it's the new "look" or the cast changes, I'm not sure...but it doesn't feel like the same show. Everything feels forced...even between pairings that used to have easy report.

Unless it begins to show me something that I can invest in, I'm afraid I won't even make it until the end of the season, let alone into the next.

-Stef

Pitry
February 12th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Well, I admit to have never been a big Atlantis fan, but I did enjoy the second half of season 1 and most of season 3. However, season 4 so far had only a few decent episodes, IMO, the rest were either really bad or really boring, and sometimes both. I suspect I'll keep on watching though, it's an 11 years' habit and it's hard to break. But that, of course, depends on season 5 - if season 5 will be worse than season 4 I s'pose I will break that habit.

I have become quite disenchanted with the Stargate franchise in general, I suspect. I can't say I'm waiting eagerly for Continuum or Stargate:Universe, either.

Mefusta
February 12th, 2008, 01:10 AM
That's not necessarily true. I am on this board to talk more about SG-1 than SGA.Very good point, except when you consider that this part of the forum is dedicated specifically to Atlantis Season 5. Trolling here means that deep, deep down in his black little heart, SierraGolf-OneNiner still cares about Stargate. Almost touching, in a way. :p

Even though I have to go to considerably more effort to "tune in" every week given my being on the other side of the damned world, i'll be sticking with Atlantis no matter what. The trick is to not get mired down in one particular configuration of the show, refusing to accept any change like a stubborn mule. You should change your perception of the show as as it grows and evolves, since it's the height of arrogance to think that a TV show is always going to remain the same. :)

Pitry might be right, though. Some of us have been watching Stargate for over a decade, it's not a habit that can be kicked too easily.

Linzi
February 12th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Will I be tuning in? Hell yes! :)

Professor Chaos
February 12th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I'm not tuning in.

However I might catch some scenes on YouTube to find out if this show rebounds to its former glory. But as for now I'm done with it.Speak of such blasphemy again and I will kill you where you stand.:tealc: Sorry, couldn't resist using an old Teal'C quote.:D

Like the guy above me said, hell yes i'll be tuning in!:P

Stef
February 12th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Very good point, except when you consider that this part of the forum is dedicated specifically to Atlantis Season 5. Trolling here means that deep, deep down in his black little heart, SierraGolf-OneNiner still cares about Stargate. Almost touching, in a way. :p

Even though I have to go to considerably more effort to "tune in" every week given my being on the other side of the damned world, i'll be sticking with Atlantis no matter what. The trick is to not get mired down in one particular configuration of the show, refusing to accept any change like a stubborn mule. You should change your perception of the show as as it grows and evolves, since it's the height of arrogance to think that a TV show is always going to remain the same. :)

Pitry might be right, though. Some of us have been watching Stargate for over a decade, it's not a habit that can be kicked too easily.
True, I will fully admit that there is part of me that wants SGA to make a turn around, to make me care again. As it stands, I have to force myself to watch new episodes and I'm of the opinion that a television show shouldn't be something you force yourself to endure...but rather something you enjoy watching. Right now, that doesn't happen to be SGA very often. But that's not to say I'll never watch again...if I hear good things I am fully willing to give the show a second or third or fourth chance to draw me back in.

But I wouldn't say people who tune out are simply doing it because of a cast changes, because they refuse to embrace change. Obviously that is true for some...but not for all. I was saddened about Carson and Weir but I went into S4 excited and hopeful that at the very least that the rest of the team would still click for me...but that wasn't the case. Like I said, I just feel like a lot of things are feeling more forced than they should...and I'm not entirely sure why. I may tune in from now on if I'm flipping the channels and it's on, or if someone recommends me an episode, but I won't be tuning in every Friday night like I normally would. I gave the show more than half a season to show me just one "good" episode...and the best I could come up with was "decent" with small hints of "great" every now and then...but that isn't enough for me.

-Stef

P-90_177
February 12th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Hmmmm tuning in let me think about that for a second.....erm......yu-huh!

SanGate
February 12th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I'll definitely be watching season 5 too! Not live too, since I'm also on another part of the world (where its not shown anymore on tv, boo!) So far, I've been absolutely loving season 4! I think they're of the best I've seen in all the seasons, so for me too: hell yeah I'm gonna watch.

pie eater general
February 12th, 2008, 03:03 AM
honestly, stargate for me is all about the story and the way the characters interact within the story.

character changes don't generally bother me all that much provided the storylines are strong and the plotting tight. while i have seen relatively little of season 4 so far, i have seen nothing thus far that has deterred me from following on to season 5. and this includes the recent casting news.

wraithlord
February 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Am i going to tune in? *takes a few moments to think to himself* yes i am.:)

SGFerrit
February 12th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I will definitely be watching. This season has been fantastic, albeit different from previous years, but still I don't see why I wouldn't if I'm enjoying it.

Stef
February 12th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Look at me! I'm an idiot who doesn't accept change! I don't want to watch this show now - where's Ford, Carson and Wier? HUH?[Sarcasm]

Puh-lease. I'll definitely be watching this new season. I cannot wait (And it'll be worse after the S4 finale).
Maybe you should learn to be respectful of other people and realize that not everyone fits into your own simplistic view of people. To say people aren't choosing to watch simply because they can't accept change is an interesting argument. What if the show dropped significantly in quality, or to steal an idea from South Park, what if they replaced everyone with Ewoks? That's a change...and the fact that you don't want to watch Ewoks running around doesn't make you resistant to change, it makes you resistant to crap. I'm not saying that that's the case with SGA (the poor writing or the Ewoks ;)) but I am saying that not choosing to watch a show for the rest of your life doesn't mean you're an idiot who can't accept change.

-Stef

The_Carpenter
February 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Of course, Season 4 has been a huge step up from the back half of Season 3 and Season 5 looks to be even better.

pie eater general
February 12th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Maybe you should learn to be respectful of other people and realize that not everyone fits into your own simplistic view of people. To say people aren't choosing to watch simply because they can't accept change is an interesting argument. What if the show dropped significantly in quality, or to steal an idea from South Park, what if they replaced everyone with Ewoks? That's a change...and the fact that you don't want to watch Ewoks running around doesn't make you resistant to change, it makes you resistant to crap. I'm not saying that that's the case with SGA (the poor writing or the Ewoks ;)) but I am saying that not choosing to watch a show for the rest of your life doesn't mean you're an idiot who can't accept change.

-Stef

no, no, NO... now i am picturing an SG team made up purely of ewoks... with a rogue wookie tagging along for moral support, of course... they would cause havoc...

i do agree with your overall point though - if you personally feel the overall quality of a show is drifting downwards, why waste your time watching it? i see no reason why any criticism should be levelled at people that feel that way about SGA.

Wormhole
February 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Nope, I haven’t even bothered to watch an episode after BAMSR:weir44:.

metabog
February 12th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Definately. I am very hyped up about the season 4 finale and season 5 start, and it really looks like Atlantis has gotten much better this season.

Heaven
February 12th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I probably won't be tuning in either next season

I seem to have lost my taste for this franchise
it feels to me like this show has nowhere left to grow
they sort of maxed out their creative potential and hit a stone wall
it's going to take some really drastic changes to keep me interested in this show

blue-skyz
February 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Yes, I’ll be watching.

I wouldn’t be wasting my time here, if I wasn’t enthralled by Stargate Atlantis.

I think the changes that have been made to S4 have made the show better.
I trust that the changes planned for S5 will keep the show entertaining and interesting.

We all like different things. It can be very hard for me to qualify exactly why I become captivated by a TV show. It seems sometimes that there is some indefinable, psychological pull that draws me in. And, sometimes, for no discernable reason, it lets me go and the TV show that seemed so special becomes ordinary again. This effect is not limited to TV shows; my perception of other things can change in a similar manner. Just human nature, I guess.

I’m sorry for those that feel that the changes to SGA have alienated them.
For me, it is, as always, part of my imaginary universe.

Yes, I’ll be watching for all the seasons to come. :)

pie eater general
February 12th, 2008, 04:39 AM
For me, it is, as always, part of my imaginary universe.

that is a really lovely image... and i completely agree with the sentiment!

marielabbott
February 12th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I haven't decided yet whether I'll be tuning into season 5. I've only enjoyed a few episodes this season. SGA used to be my favorite show, so in a way I don't want to give up on it. But many of the things I liked best about it are gone--certain characters, the chemistry between the remaining characters, team episodes. I'll watch until the end of this season and see how I feel about tuning into season 5 after that. :S

Stef
February 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
When people heard about the changes happening in season 4 they decided they didn't like the show anymore before they'd even seen it, and it happening again now, if that's doesn't mean that they're narrow minded and can't accept change then I don't know what does.
You're talking about a small portion of the fandom and I don't appreciate being lumped in with that group. I have been watching all season, every friday night despite the changes made to the cast this year. So how again am I resistant to change?

Deciding, after watching an entire season of a series, that you don't like the direction of the writing does not make you narrow-minded...it makes you a discerning viewer. Would you keep watching a show for the rest of your life simply because you started it? Everyone is free to tune in and out of a series whenever they so choose, and to stick around when you don't enjoy it anymore simply out of loyalty is ludicrous. Almost everyone has tuned out of some show at some point for some reason over the years...and that reason was that they didn't like the changes, whether it was in the writing, the cast, whatever.

Like I said, I am not completely against the series (I'm still in this section of the board after all), I am just not seeing any improvement in this season that warrants me taking a look at the next. I honestly hope something changes my mind, but if it doesn't then it doesn't.

-Stef

Col.Ads
February 12th, 2008, 04:57 AM
For me season 4 hasnt been that good with only the first 3/4 episodes then the mid season eps being good, since the asurans where destroyed the stand alone episodes have been ok but not great, well no where near the standard of the first season!

I think for series 5 the main problem with weir not returning, that for me is a major blow as of the last 30 secs of BAMSR she would have had an interesting storyline, so all we are left with at the moment is the wraith and micheal.

Think if series 5 is to succeed they need to branch out more in maybe finding a lantean research planet which deals with zpms and pursue an ongoing story from there (but a story which doesnt reap much reward for a while) maybe conflict with the wraith more, they do not know the location of atlantis for the mo so maybe more wraith heavy episodes.

Just comes down to the writers running out of ideas lately, and really its not just SGA thats suffering many top shows are loosing their spark

knowles2
February 12th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Hell yeah.

All I see the cast changes are good for the show, it allows for it to stop becoming stale, like some of the last sg1 seasons did, 7,8,9,10 really. Introducing new characters, changes other recurring to regular to recurring to four or what ever is what allows me to keep guesting what gonna happen in the next episode gonna be about who gonna die or disappear or gets injured.

So come on season five more deaths, more cast changes and more sfx, and more blood, gut, and action, more keller bar games.

Southern Red
February 12th, 2008, 05:21 AM
In a word, yes I am going to watch right up until the last wraith is dead or the last cast member has the life sucked out of him. Whichever comes first.

I am one of those fans that is hard to pigeonhole though a lot assume not. If you let it be known that you are a shipper and especially a Weir lover, you get lumped in with the general flow of those groups. That is not correct in my case. I was/am a Sparky shipper but also recognize the fact that it will never happen. I am now looking around to see who we can ship Shep with next, Larrin, Nancy, some new character? I might even warm up to Teyla if they do what I expect and kill off Kannan. That is if they don't rush into it. Season 10 works for me. I think the biggest mistake they have ever made was getting rid of Weir in the first place, but I accept Torri's decision and am ready to move on. I have enjoyed the stand alone episodes this season, love the McShep show in a non-slashy way and especially enjoyed Outcast.

The shows that have set up or continued the various arcs, especially the baby thing however were disappointing. The writing has been pretty bad at times. I mean Painkiller Jane bad. The good acting from just about everybody usually lifts a bad script above the nausea inducing level. The problem IMHO as some have pointed out is that the excitement of S1, the closeness of the cast and whatever it was that just made you want to watch the episodes over and over is missing. Blame it on the changes, the writing, the fact that they are all getting too used to the show and aren't stretching themselves anymore, something. It's hard to pin down. Some people see it and some don't which also is hard to understand, but human nature nevertheless.

I'm rambling, trying to figure out for myself what I actually think, but here's the bottom line for me. I have flushed seasons 1-3. My shiny, lovely, fun to do videos about and watch over and over show is gone. There is a new show with some of the same actors, set in Atlantis that sort of resembles it but not really. It's kinda good. I laugh sometimes. There are explosions. I'll watch it live because I enjoy the fandom and want to see what all the other people think about it, but the thrill is gone. *thinks about singing, decides not to*

metabog
February 12th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Hell yeah.

All I see the cast changes are good for the show, it allows for it to stop becoming stale, like some of the last sg1 seasons did, 7,8,9,10 really. Introducing new characters, changes other recurring to regular to recurring to four or what ever is what allows me to keep guesting what gonna happen in the next episode gonna be about who gonna die or disappear or gets injured.

So come on season five more deaths, more cast changes and more sfx, and more blood, gut, and action, more keller bar games.

IMO, I don't think it's a good idea for them to release so many spoilers. It's one of the things that make LOST so cool for example, you NEVER know what's going to happen.

For example, ever since the season started, we know we would get Carson back, and we've all been skimming along through all the other eps to get to the Kindred. Wouldn't it have been better if we all just watched the damn, and all of a sudden boom Carson is back and everyone is amazed? I hate always knowing what the whole season will be before I even see it."

Egle01
February 12th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Well, I think I would if I could. Even if Sam's gonna leave. I just can't watch Sci Fi.

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I do not see a major difference in Cast changes...

Season 2 & 3

Sheppard
Mckay
Teyla
Ronon
Carson
Zelenka
Lorne
Weir

Season 5

Sheppard
Mckay
Teyla
Ronon
Carson
Zelenka
Lorne
Keller
Woolsey

Notice the bold.

CazzBlade
February 12th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Even though I'm disapointed about losing Weir I still tuned in this season and I will the next. It's still my favourite show and as long as they don't chop and change characters every few eps it will stay that way.

:sheppard::teyla::mckay::ronan:

Looking forward to S5:)

blue-skyz
February 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM
For example, ever since the season started, we know we would get Carson back,
and we've all been skimming along through all the other eps to get to the Kindred.
Speak for yourself.

The Kindred looks like it will be good, but it wasn’t near the top of my most anticipated episodes. There have been many episodes along the way that I looked forward to and have enjoyed. And still, The Last Man entices me more than The Kindred does. Different strokes …

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Even though I'm disapointed about losing Weir I still tuned in this season and I will the next. It's still my favourite show and as long as they don't chop and change characters every few eps it will stay that way.

:sheppard::teyla::mckay::ronan:

Looking forward to S5:)

Weir is one character. The actress quit, good luck to her. They were going to continue her next season, oh well. Moving on...*Points to sig* :cool:

jelgate
February 12th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Speak of such blasphemy again and I will kill you where you stand.:tealc: Sorry, couldn't resist using an old Teal'C quote.:D

Like the guy above me said, hell yes i'll be tuning in!:P

Ther person above you is a girl. Their isn't a force on this planet that won't stop me from watching S5.

jenks
February 12th, 2008, 06:07 AM
You're talking about a small portion of the fandom and I don't appreciate being lumped in with that group. I have been watching all season, every friday night despite the changes made to the cast this year. So how again am I resistant to change?

<snip>

-Stef

I never said you were.

Amalthea
February 12th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Absolutely. In my opinion, there is no reason not to... even if it takes forever for the episodes to come to Canada.

melfan
February 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I'm gonna tune in. As long as the show is good enough and don't take more suddens turns, this will be one of my favourite shows

vorador
February 12th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Yes I am!

Linzi
February 12th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Weir is one character. The actress quit, good luck to her. They were going to continue her next season, oh well. Moving on...*Points to sig* :cool:
I hadn't noticed your siggie. It's wonderful, Brian. Very clever. That dog on the end sort of steals the show though! Well, ok, doesn't steal it, cos Teh Hair does that - but nearly does! ;)

Linzi
February 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Ther person above you is a girl. Their isn't a force on this planet that won't stop me from watching S5.
I thought I was a flying pig? :confused: ;)

jelgate
February 12th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I thought I was a flying pig? :confused: ;)

Your a female flying pig who does the biddinng of Peg. I am currently trying to free you from her mind control.

ShadowMaat
February 12th, 2008, 06:36 AM
It isn't always a matter of casting changes; heck, I wound up loving Jonas more than Daniel. Sometimes it's just a problem with story development itself. I haven't liked where things have been headed for a while and I don't need to watch S5 to know I won't enjoy it (although I might tune in to see Lorne's eps). I like my characters three-dimensional and reasonably intelligent and IMO, Atlantis can no longer provide even that basic a requirement. And one thing I tend to hate above all else is when writers lobotomize their characters in order to make a story work. I still stand by the opinion that if you have to make your characters into genocidal morons in order to accomplish a plotline then there's something wrong with the plotline. The Michael arc still stands out as a perfect example of bad storytelling. In my opinion, of course. I don't think the writers are capable of doing justice to the characters and stories they already have, I don't think they've done a good job of handling the changes that have already been made, and I seriously doubt they'll be able to adequately handle the other changes they've got in mind for S5, be they cast- or story-centric.

I still think the show has a lot of potential, which is one of the reasons its continuing failure (my opinion) nags at me even when I'm not watching. I remember how great it was and I keep wishing it could reach those heights again. At this point I think it's too late to salvage Atlantis, but at the same time there's still that corrosive bit of Hope that just won't admit defeat...

DarkAngel34994
February 12th, 2008, 06:49 AM
As long as Teyla/Rachel is on the show, I will continue to watch. I'm very excited about seeing the last few episode of season 4. Especially The Kindred part I and II. I also excited about season 5.

Skydiver
February 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
People

No one is an 'idiot' whether or not they tune in.

they will or won't as they may

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I hadn't noticed your siggie. It's wonderful, Brian. Very clever. That dog on the end sort of steals the show though! Well, ok, doesn't steal it, cos Teh Hair does that - but nearly does! ;)

If there is one thing I want next season is Carson in more than 5 eps. Now that numbers is not set in stone. Hopefully he'll get a 6th or 7th one.

I think a lot of folks will be tuning into next season after the 3 Part story arc for the rest of this season. I know a lot of fans are going to tune in for "The Kindred".

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I still think the show has a lot of potential, which is one of the reasons its continuing failure (my opinion) nags at me even when I'm not watching. I remember how great it was and I keep wishing it could reach those heights again. At this point I think it's too late to salvage Atlantis, but at the same time there's still that corrosive bit of Hope that just won't admit defeat...

I have a lot of hope for the next 4 eps this current season. I think the last 3 eps are going to start up and continue an interesting, exciting new story arc. They are also supposed to be...

Adding new allies and an enemy. So there is a lot of potential with this as well.

Well right now S3 still is my favorite, but I think after the last 4 eps of Season 4 it will be neck and neck, maybe even better.

But I sorta agree, SGA still has a lot of potential to top themselves, which they did with eps like "BAMSR". However they do have a big challenge next season, and it could be amazing or it could be a total flop.

Naonak
February 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM
As long as the rest of this season doesn't suck, I'll be there for the fifth. :)

knowles2
February 12th, 2008, 07:11 AM
IMO, I don't think it's a good idea for them to release so many spoilers. It's one of the things that make LOST so cool for example, you NEVER know what's going to happen.

For example, ever since the season started, we know we would get Carson back, and we've all been skimming along through all the other eps to get to the Kindred. Wouldn't it have been better if we all just watched the damn, and all of a sudden boom Carson is back and everyone is amazed? I hate always knowing what the whole season will be before I even see it."

I 100% agree with you, sometimes I spoil it for myself, mainly coming on to this website and reading up about future episodes. But I just get way to excited about future episodes which makes me want to search for more details about the episode. May be next season I will try and avoid spoilers, I will probably enjoy it more, but it gonna be difficult.

With Lost I it a bit more difficult their is not such a dedicated website, which is well run and maintain, such a Gateworld, while most lost forums are complete and utter mess, and poorly thought out, this just my opinion.

And they do tend to keep their plot lines more secret, or more buried and hidden from the views so you have to go digging for them, unlike Stargate which everything is above surfaced, often front page of the website.

But I make a pledge and not look for any more spoiler for season 5 see how long I can hold on to it .

ToasterOnFire
February 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Nope, I'm done with the show at the end of this season. I gave TPTB a chance and I watched s4 to see how they'd handle the cast and show changes. I wasn't impressed. Hell, I think some of the recent eps have been some of the weakest for the series, and I was disappointed with how numerous promised character developments and arcs panned out.

The only thing I was interested in next season was Weir's storyline, and even that fell through. TPTB appear to be happy with how things are going, which implies that there will be much of the same next season. Seeing as I don't care for their status quo, I won't be wasting my time or money. :)

The storyline for Stargate Universe has potential, so I might tune in to that. Depends on who's in charge. ;)

FoolishPleasure
February 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'll watch Beckett's episodes, but that's it.

I was interested in where Weir was going, but I'm glad Torri decided not to return. She said she would if the story was right, but obviously it wasn't, and seeing the sort of garbage we've been tossed the last four weeks, it was probably pretty stinky.

I think Keller is a terrible addition, and with the news that yet another young, beautiful girl is joining the group, its enough to hurl. SG1 had balance between young noobs and older, wiser characters. SGA is just turning into "Who Wants to be a Super Model".

ShadowMaat
February 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Woolsey will be older and (IMO, anyway) unbeautiful, so there's your balance. ;)

Fenrir Foxz
February 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Woolsey will be older and (IMO, anyway) unbeautiful, so there's your balance. ;)

:lol:

I'm definately going to tune in :) After 'The Last Man' I think alot of people will want closure to that cliffhanger, Everything I've heard on S5 so far has make it really interesting... Undomesticated Equines could not stop me from watching it! :D

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I'll watch Beckett's episodes, but that's it.

I was interested in where Weir was going, but I'm glad Torri decided not to return. She said she would if the story was right, but obviously it wasn't, and seeing the sort of garbage we've been tossed the last four weeks, it was probably pretty stinky.

I think Keller is a terrible addition, and with the news that yet another young, beautiful girl is joining the group, its enough to hurl. SG1 had balance between young noobs and older, wiser characters. SGA is just turning into "Who Wants to be a Super Model".

Well Beckett is in at least 5 eps with a potential for some more. As per Weir, I don't want to turn this into a Weir thread, but Torri did not even see the story. We don't know why she turned it down. We may never know the truth. So we'll just have to leave it at that.

stclare
February 12th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I dont no at this point. I will probably wait untill 4 has finished then read through the season 5 spoilers to decide.

I am unsure how they can add more charcters without having even less team eps than weve had this year.

As has been mentioned a lot better by other people. I've missed the team interaction this season and see nothing so far from spoliers to make me think its not gonna be more of the same next season.

Though i didnt think i'd watch this season either, ive watched it i just havent liked it so much.

reddevil18
February 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM
You bet your ass I'm gonna tune in. I didn't abandon BSG halfway through season 3, I sure as hell ain't gonna abandon Stargate. There are plenty of things I don't like, but even more that I love. And as long as I'm entertained, I'm going to keep watching.

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I dont no at this point. I will probably wait untill 4 has finished then read through the season 5 spoilers to decide.

I am unsure how they can add more charcters without having even less team eps than weve had this year.

As has been mentioned a lot better by other people. I've missed the team interaction this season and see nothing so far from spoliers to make me think its not gonna be more of the same next season.

Though i didnt think i'd watch this season either, ive watched it i just havent liked it so much.

I think "The Kindred" is going to strike up a lot of interest for folks who did not have interest before. I think they will be continuing this story arc for 5 straight eps going into Season 5!

ShadowMaat
February 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
One of my complaints is what I see as a massive imbalance in the team- a majority of the stories all seem to center around Sheppard and McKay, with Teyla and Ronon relegated to the backwaters of B-plot (or even C-plot), but I've been wondering- was that the way it was on SG-1 with Jack and Daniel and I just didn't notice it as much? I know Teal'c wasn't always as central as I thought he could be, but Carter at least seemed more central and I thought there was a better mixing/interaction of the team- at least in the earlier seasons. Maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me again, though, and SG-1 was as weighted as Atlantis is (in my perception).

reddevil18
February 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
One of my complaints is what I see as a massive imbalance in the team- a majority of the stories all seem to center around Sheppard and McKay, with Teyla and Ronon relegated to the backwaters of B-plot (or even C-plot), but I've been wondering- was that the way it was on SG-1 with Jack and Daniel and I just didn't notice it as much? I know Teal'c wasn't always as central as I thought he could be, but Carter at least seemed more central and I thought there was a better mixing/interaction of the team- at least in the earlier seasons. Maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me again, though, and SG-1 was as weighted as Atlantis is (in my perception).
No, I completely agree. There was a far better balance with SG-1. They all had something to do, they were a very tight group, it was all very nicely balanced.

Ruffles
February 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Absolutely! I've enjoyed every season of SGA and hope to continue to do so for a long time to come. I've enjoyed what they've done so far with S4 - enriched the character relationships and created some very thought-provoking storylines. I think having all of the cast available for the entire season will help with story arcs in S5.

I can't wait!

Shipperahoy
February 12th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I'll most likely tune in until the bitter end. I'm too much of an optimist to give up on something that I've invested so much time in. Even during season 9 of SG-1, which I hated, I hung in there in the hopes that things would improve and, IMO, it did with season 10 so I'm glad that I didn't give up.

Even with Weir gone this season I've enjoyed it overall, with the exception of the last few episodes which I found to be lacking due to the lack of team and the focus on one-off stories centering on only one or two of the characters at a time. Still, I understand the reason why they've chosen to focus on these sorts of stories, it's a necessity due to the personal lives of the actors involved in the show, so I know that it won't stay this way forever.

Konrad9
February 12th, 2008, 09:08 AM
With all the turmoil involving cast changes and the general direction the show has been taking are you going to tune in to watch season 5?

I used to love Atlantis, I caught the episodes as soon as I could, however with all that's happened I've become apathetic towards the show. I don't really care if i miss episodes any more. A lot of this has to do with the cast changes. Weir was a major thing that kept me interested in the show. Through the last few seasons of SG-1 I had gotten a bit bored with it and watched more out of habit and cause Atlantis was coming up etc. Weir was what kept me watching the show cause she was a major part of what made the show fresh.

Another reason for my wane in interest has been because for some reason I had begun to expect more out of the show than I was getting. I wanted tighter more intelligent storytelling and it just didn't seem to be what we were getting. I guess i saw that Atlantis could be so much more and that for whatever reason it wasn't reaching its potential.

I might catch a few episodes of Season 5 but i don't seeing me being the regular viewer i was through seasons 1-3. Which is a shame as Atlantis was my favourite show.

Yes.

If I wasn't going to watch the show, I WOULDN'T BE HERE TALKING ABOUT IT.

flynn1959
February 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
No.

I did try to watch a few episodes from season four, but I found them dull and poorly written. Harmony and Trio were, imo, dire. To me Atlantis has become somewhat like a cartoon, childish and predicable. It is no longer the show it once was. Add that to the cast changes, I hate Woolsey, and I was looking forward to seeing Weir again. I respect TH and agree with her decision but I do miss the character so much and don't feel the show is the same without her.

I will watch the two episodes that guest star DJ/MS,just because I am a fan of both actor and character but as for the rest I am going to pass.

If when it airs in the US I hear from someone I trust that it is worth tuning in I might consider it, but at this point in time I doubt I will bother.

Skydiver
February 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Guys, I'm gonna derail this thread for a second, largely because it's been the sole source of reported posts today.

Look, if Ed is 100% enthusiastic for season 5, good for ed. If Mary isn't, then good for mary.

Everyone has their own opinion. And everyone is entitled to express it.

BUT

What they are not entitled to express here is 'only idiots won't watch season five' or 'yeah, well those dumb idiots will love everything tptb crank out'

THEY'RE NOT IDIOTS

and I'm talking about both sides here. They're not idiots.

If you love the show and you see a post made by someone that doesn't, don't call them names. Don't disparage their opinions. They're just as entitled to them as you are.

Can you disagree? Of course you can. It's not that you disagree, but how.

Don't mock another's opinion. Don't call then names.

You can say 'mary, i don't agree with you' and that's fine.

You CAN'T say 'mary, you're as dumb as a stump. why are you even here if you're not going to watch the show? Just shut up and go away'

I invite everyone to chill out, grow up and try to express yourselves in a more adult manner.

Try settling for simply expressing your own opinions and stop criticizing others for theirs.

Fenrir Foxz
February 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I'll most likely tune in until the bitter end. I'm too much of an optimist to give up on something that I've invested so much time in. Even during season 9 of SG-1, which I hated, I hung in there in the hopes that things would improve and, IMO, it did with season 10 so I'm glad that I didn't give up.

Yup same here... I hung on with S9 even though I originally found it slow to establish the new story *Ori arc, characters etc* but now looking back I really like S9 of SG1 almost as much as S10... I learned from that season that loosing a character doesn't mean the show will go down hill from there... And I'm am really happy with the fact that I hung on with S9 long enough to see it get up to speed with the new turn :)

Even with Weir gone this season I've enjoyed it overall, with the exception of the last few episodes which I found to be lacking due to the lack of team and the focus on one-off stories centering on only one or two of the characters at a time. Still, I understand the reason why they've chosen to focus on these sorts of stories, it's a necessity due to the personal lives of the actors involved in the show, so I know that it won't stay this way forever.

S4 of Atlantis for me has been one of the best so far, I've really enjoyed this new turn dispite Weir no longer being a regular... The one off stories have had some value in aswell as eps like BAMSR and TMC, there has been very little I would really say was bad or I dislike about this season and if S4 is anything to go by S5 will be really good IMO :D

bluealien
February 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Overall love Season 4 and can't wait to tune into season 5...

magneticresonance
February 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Yes. While I do think Atlantis has its problems as a show, and feel that it's not as reliably good in terms of storytelling and characterisation as it used to be, it's still fun, I still care about the characters, and there have been enough good episodes this season to make it worthwhile for me to keep watching. :) I don't expect perfection in a TV show, and as long as something about it still appeals to me, I'll watch, even if I criticise it from time to time or wish the writers would take it in a different direction.

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM

That is how I felt about SG-1 Season 9 and 10! I thought the end of Season 9 began to go back on track. The episiode where Vala appears through Daniel and through the finale were intense. Season 10 was very enjoyable to me.

As per Atlantis, I notice a lot of fans are worried since the last 4 eps have not been all story arc or the action/drama/excitment/thriller type eps. I think by the time the last 4 eps air, a lot of folks are going to be really anticipating Season 5. TPTB have a chance here to really excite the fans and get them talking about how interesting and exciting the end for Season 4 was. The last 3 eps are going to be important in pleasing the fans. The fans will hopefully remember the season with an exciting start and finish.

Pharaoh Atem
February 12th, 2008, 10:14 AM
i will be ...if i'm not working

Chailyn
February 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'm waiting to see how the last episodes of this season turn out. I'd like to give a definate yes, since I've been with the show since the beginning, but this season hasn't lived up to the hype, imo. I was expecting more, considering Atlantis was flying through space last season, which could have led to any number of new adventures. But maybe my expectations were just too high. While I loved BAMSR, the episodes following it have been average at best and dreadful at worst. I actually stopped watching the show live, which is something I haven't done before. :(

The cast changes haven't really affected me as much as some people, although I'm realizing more and more how much I miss Carson. I just wish SGA could be a little more consistent. We get these excellent eps like BAMSR, imo, but they're mixed in with all of these clunkers. Episodes that are character building don't need to be dull, but that seems to be the trend. And the character development we do get isn't even very substantial. I sometimes feel as if I'm wading through the dreck just to spot a diamond. I'm also not feeling the dynamic of the team anymore. They don't feel very connected, but they also don't seem to have many conflicts. They just seem to be reacting to each other week after week depending on the situation. However, I have liked the brief tension between Sheppard and Teyla even though I've been greatly disappointed with Teyla's arc as a whole. So, I guess the season finale will decide whether or not I tune in next season. Here's hoping it's a good one. :)

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
YES I'll definitely tune in!

Emre
February 12th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm tuning in. Sure, the cast changes were weird at first (I am getting very used to the idea of seeing Woolsey as a regular), but Stargate Atlantis has a way of making you like all of it's characters.

Besides, the episodes are fun to watch. Season 4 wasn't such a big dissapointment, and I'm sure season 5 will be great. And filled with snark. Oh, how I love the snark.

So, yeah. Tuning in.

ShadowMaat
February 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
... Stargate Atlantis has a way of making you like all of it's characters.
Even Kavanagh? ;)

I'm all for unlikable characters, as long as they're meant to be that way. Unfortunately, some of the "good guy" characters come across as jerks to me, and I'm not talking about McKay. :P

Emre
February 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Even Kavanagh? ;)

Actually, no. He's an exception in every possible way. I was going to add that, but I forgot. Darn.

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Actually, no. He's an exception in every possible way. I was going to add that, but I forgot. Darn.

what about Lucius? ;)

Emre
February 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM
what about Lucius? ;)

I liked Lucius, in a "I'd just love to push you off a cliff" kind of way. Richard Kind is charming, even when he's obnoxious.

Mitchell82
February 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Am I happy with the general direction of SGA yes. Am I leary about a few things? A little. Will I tune in........HELL YES!:)

Landers
February 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I'm on the fence. Haven't watched every episode this season because Carter and Keller just haven't snagged me and I find them more a detriment.

I'll give the rest of season 4 a go, then decide, but if I see more dreck like Quarantine or Trio, I won't bother.

txTart
February 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I'll definitely tune in to S5, no question about it. I had huge doubts about what was going to happen in S4 -- I hated the idea that Sam Carter would be coming to Atlantis -- but I think S4 has been the best season yet. I have my doubts about some of the changes proposed for S5, too but I'm more than willing to give the show a chance.

Besides, where else will I get my weekly fix of Flanigan and Hewlett??

blue-skyz
February 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Besides, where else will I get my weekly fix of Flanigan and Hewett??
Well said! :)

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I'll definitely tune in to S5, no question about it. I had huge doubts about what was going to happen in S4 -- I hated the idea that Sam Carter would be coming to Atlantis -- but I think S4 has been the best season yet. I have my doubts about some of the changes proposed for S5, too but I'm more than willing to give the show a chance.

Besides, where else will I get my weekly fix of Flanigan and Hewlett??

Well said! :)

The main team is still there, and we are even getting one back from S1,S2, and S3 for a recurring role in multiple eps. :cool:

Jill_Ion
February 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM

{snip}

Not just yes, but hell yes! :sheppard: :mckay: :ronan: :teyla:

PG15
February 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hell yes!

Redhooks
February 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hell yes!
But will it be on TMN or your computer? :P How do you see the episode in Canada before Monday night anyway and when you said you don't get TMN? :rolleyes: :P :D

I will tune in for sure every episode that Jill Wagner is in, but if the rest of season 4 goes the way the last four eps that have aired have gone, I will not be in a hurry to watch it but will get around to seeing them eventually.

Ltcolshepjumper
February 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'll tune in. For Season 4, there have been episodes that I wouldn't really care to watch, but I'll watch the key, major episodes. I think SGA could have been better without some of the cast changes (the removal of certain characters, two in particular).

PG15
February 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM
How do you see the episode in Canada before Monday night anyway and when you said you don't get TMN? :rolleyes: :P :D

Magic!

:D

...of the Internet!

KikeGate
February 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Probably not.
It seems the ZPM of Creativity in SGA is running too low. That's why "Character Development" or filler eps are more frecuent. It isn't "The best season ever" to me
changes are needed, including in the writing Dept.

the fifth man
February 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Personally, I can't wait to see Season 5. Overall, I like where SGA is going.

jnadreth
February 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Nope, I haven’t even bothered to watch an episode after BAMSR:weir44:.

"BAMSR was a brilliant episode"

Whoops did I break the Sarcasm Detector-Season 9+10 of SG-1 wained a little but SGA Season 4 sank faster than H.M.S Hood. Think of the untapped potential if Baal snuck into the PG, he could easily kick Wraith butt while re-building his empire like he tried to do in Season 9 "Off The Grid"

EdenSG
February 12th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Yes, I will be watching season 5.

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Personally, I can't wait to see Season 5. Overall, I like where SGA is going.

By the time the last 4 eps air, everyone is going to be wanting to tune into Season 5! :p

Heck with a 5 episode story arc (418,419,420,501,502) you cannot go wrong, huh? :p

Killdeer
February 12th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I don't know. Probably. I watched SG-1 to the end after all. But the show IMO was never the same after S5, and while I watched to the end I never really enjoyed the show as much as I did those first five seasons.

So I don't know if I'll hold out to the end here or not. I don't think the show is ever going to get back what it lost. It remains to be seen whether they can pull together what they still have left and make a show that I care about watching. I can think of a few things they could do that would make me walk away immediately. I hope they don't go there, but who knows? I wasn't pleased with the last several seasons of SG-1, and so I don't have a lot of reason to have faith here. S4 has been pretty hit and miss with me, so....

The one thing they could do to hold me here is get the team back together. The team is really the only reason I'm still watching here - if they keep breaking them up like they have this season I can't say I'm going to be overly impressed no matter how spectacular their storyarcs are. There again that was a problem with the last few seasons of SG-1. There wasn't a whole lot of "team" there IMO, even after Daniel came back. They had Sam episodes and Daniel episodes and Teal'c episodes and just about everything except team episodes. Kind of like what we're seeing here. :S I'm hopeful that maybe without having to worry about all the scheduling problems that we will see more of the team. But I'm a little worried that it's just the way Mallozzi likes it. I keep remembering that he once said that Seasons 4, 7, and 8 were his favorites. Since I thought the SG-1 team was at their worst during 7 & 8, it does make me wonder whether things are really going to improve.

Guess we'll see.

Briangate78
February 12th, 2008, 08:01 PM
The one thing they could do to hold me here is get the team back together. The team is really the only reason I'm still watching here - if they keep breaking them up like they have this season I can't say I'm going to be overly impressed no matter how spectacular their storyarcs are. There again that was a problem with the last few seasons of SG-1. There wasn't a whole lot of "team" there IMO, even after Daniel came back. They had Sam episodes and Daniel episodes and Teal'c episodes and just about everything except team episodes. Kind of like what we're seeing here. :S

Guess we'll see.

Well I think we are going to get that again in the last 4 eps. Also because of Rachel's pregnancy it has made it tough to shoot her in the back half of the season. She was taking it easy when they filmed Season 4.

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I don't know. Probably. I watched SG-1 to the end after all. But the show IMO was never the same after S5, and while I watched to the end I never really enjoyed the show as much as I did those first five seasons.

I know what you mean. for me SG-1 was great until RDA left. not just because of him but there were other cast changes and the show felt differently in s9 (which wasn't that good imo) and s10 (which got better but still nowhere near s1-8 imo). but I watched it because it's SG and it was still fun

So I don't know if I'll hold out to the end here or not. I don't think the show is ever going to get back what it lost. It remains to be seen whether they can pull together what they still have left and make a show that I care about watching. I can think of a few things they could do that would make me walk away immediately. I hope they don't go there, but who knows? I wasn't pleased with the last several seasons of SG-1, and so I don't have a lot of reason to have faith here.

personally I will definitely watch until the end because I somehow feel I owe it to the franchise. sounds crazy I know but SG has helped me through some rough times in the past and just for that I'm really willing to give it a chance. but that's just me ;)

The one thing they could do to hold me here is get the team back together. The team is really the only reason I'm still watching here - if they keep breaking them up like they have this season I can't say I'm going to be overly impressed no matter how spectacular their storyarcs are. There again that was a problem with the last few seasons of SG-1. There wasn't a whole lot of "team" there IMO, even after Daniel came back. They had Sam episodes and Daniel episodes and Teal'c episodes and just about everything except team episodes. Kind of like what we're seeing here. :S

Guess we'll see.

I think the last four eps of s4 may change your mind ;)

Killdeer
February 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I know what you mean. for me SG-1 was great until RDA left. not just because of him but there were other cast changes and the show felt differently in s9 (which wasn't that good imo) and s10 (which got better but still nowhere near s1-8 imo). but I watched it because it's SG and it was still fun

Actually, I liked S9 & 10 better than 7 & 8. I was pretty frustrated with the show by the time S8 was over. 9 & 10 had their problems (more than a few), but they did get me interested in the show again.

I think the last four eps of s4 may change your mind ;)

Three episodes.....I'm not all that worked up about Midway. Nothing wrong with it - it's just not one I've been looking forward to.

And yeah, the last three might make or break it. I've been looking forward to them, but I've been disappointed all season long with how Teyla's arc has been handled. It could be great, and it could still go pretty badly. *thinks about Missing, which was my most anticipated episode of the season. :(*

Lord batchi ball
February 12th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Really this is a good question. Well..... without Wier and her story line I think next season will be boring. That is unless they somehow manage to create some other interesting plot. But really I have no idea.

Ganthet Jr.
February 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'll definitely be watching. I've been enjoying Season 4 so far, granted there have been things I haven't been happy with, it hasn't been enough for me to throw away the previous ten years of watching this universe unfold.

I'm still watching because I'm still enjoying myself, however, I'd probably still watch even if I hated it, because future stories in other movies/series/better seasons will have to do with what's going on now, even if not directly. I'm a bit of a completist... I don't get involved with anything series/franchise unless I can see every bit of it. That's just me though, I by no means hold others to that standard. That'd be crazy lol.

poundpuppy29
February 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yes I am but I am really wavering on that right now. Stef I am with you and Killdeer. I want to see the Daniel episodes and I love Ronon, Teyla, and Zelenka but the direction of season 4 and general feel of the show has changed and there is no balance. Keller has really turned me off and hate her and Ronon together. I am curious about Woosley but I still want Weir as the leader and Beckett as CMO but TPTB don't and don't care what I think.

Ruined_puzzle
February 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Will I be tunning in? Let me think.....nope. I'm not even tuning in this season, except for the occasional episodes Adrift, Lifeline, TMC, and possibly The Kindred I &II, I'm still not sure if I want to just for Carson. So far nothing about season 5 interests me.

Lythisrose
February 12th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'll be there... I don't like all that many shows anymore, (really not a big fan of Reality TV), so SGA is a bright spot for me. I love the team episodes the most, and am fond of almost all the supporting characters, but as long as Shep and McKay are still around I'll hang in there with them. :)

Celtic Wizard
February 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Although some of the story lines this year have been a little weak, and I am not happy with losing Carson for the wimpish Keller, not so bothered about Wier (sorry), I have still watched the season so far and will see it out.

I am hoping that although there is no confirmation of a season six, the season five stories will be more gritter, and so far from the leaked information it does so like they will be, so yes I will watch season five.

After all I watched seasons nine & ten of SG1 and they were utter clap trap!

RepliVeggie
February 13th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Definately. I still love Atlantis. Through thick and thin. For better or worse. Til cancellation(or natural end) do we part.

memnarch
February 13th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Definately. I still love Atlantis. Through thick and thin. For better or worse. Til cancellation(or natural end) do we part.

Precisely! In the end, we all care about the characters and what happens to them because they're like old friends. Old, fictional friends you don't talk to often, but friends nonetheless!

Southern Red
February 13th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Will I be tunning in? Let me think.....nope. I'm not even tuning in this season, except for the occasional episodes Adrift, Lifeline, TMC, and possibly The Kindred I &II, I'm still not sure if I want to just for Carson. So far nothing about season 5 interests me.

Oh come on. You mean you aren't on the edge of your seat waiting to see Rodney deliver Teyla's baby. That right there will be worth all the rest. And IMHO that's the best idea they've had all season.

Precisely! In the end, we all care about the characters and what happens to them because they're like old friends. Old, fictional friends you don't talk to often, but friends nonetheless!

So true. Sometimes I think we get more attached to the secondary characters like Zalenka. But in Trio considering how they dissed him, who knows what we can expect. The close connection with the characters is part of the reason for a lot of the frustration IMHO. Take John for example. Little character development for 3+ years, inconsistent writing, this whole Kirk thing which annoys some people and causes others to have to defend him. But for JF's ability to turn the dreck he's given into gold, fewer of us would like his character as much as we do. And admittedly, some find him unlikable. The same can be said of all the characters, especially Weir. I blame the writers for all that. There's no excuse not to write a character as exactly what you intend them to be, but this show is written by a committee and we all know how that usually turns out.

It seems, judging from the forums, that more and more fans are tuning out. The casual viewer will probably continue. I know people that I used to discuss the show with who now say they forgot to watch, so in my little world I can say I agree that the intensity has lessened.

stclare
February 13th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Oh come on. You mean you aren't on the edge of your seat waiting to see Rodney deliver Teyla's baby. That right there will be worth all the rest. And IMHO that's the best idea they've had all season.

Please God let that happen thats worth a million filler eps!!!

g.o.d
February 13th, 2008, 06:31 AM
probably yes. I want to know how stupid and awful S5 will be

ShadowMaat
February 13th, 2008, 06:34 AM
probably yes. I want to know how stupid and awful S5 will be

Well, if you go into it with that attitude you probably won't be disappointed. ;)

g.o.d
February 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Well, if you go into it with that attitude you probably won't be disappointed. ;)

no I won't.

but I have another reason: after every SGA episode I see, I'm enjoying other TV shows even more :D

pjt
February 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Well, yeah!

Mack_1
February 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Honestly, I haven’t been an SGA fan and haven’t follow from the beginning.

I had watched just few episodes from season 1 thru 3, I just couldn’t get into the show or story line, one of the main factors the killing, vanishing and disappearing of some of the characters once you were liking them :ford: :beckett: :weir: To me that’s a main factor for a show to thrive, BUT I been a fan of the StarGate Universe, from the movie to the SG-1 series (still watch in re-runs even though I have the DVD’s :jack_new_anime04:)

So this season, I turn to SGA to give it a try and so far I been liking it (for the few episodes that were so not good) another thing that help was the fact that Sam Carter :samanime20: was there, then Jennifer, Selenka :zelenka25: and Ronon :ronananime01: grown in me, I always like Teyla :teyla25: So now with the new changes and all the fuss about the show, I’m kind of intrigue so I will probably be turning in to watch the show, if I don’t like it then I at least going to be watching when :daniel: and :samanime20: make their appearance (Yes big fan of the original show second parts are not as good)

I just don’t see Woolsey as a commander/leader of the City, and just to watch :sheppard: and :mckay: episodes is not my cup of tea, neither to see Sheppard go against Woolsey when they don’t agree with something as John did with Weird sometimes, or Woolsey become a close friend with Rodney in their whining.

But yeah I'll give it a try. ;)

Jeff O'Connor
February 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Are you going to tune in?

Damn right I am, but I still have some beef with the show. Nevertheless, I enjoy a good hamburger, and SGA tends to be at least USDA Choice quality, so I'm game.

jonno
February 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Yes. Partly because I'll watch it til anything I was into at one point until it ends, so I know how it ends. But mostly because I still enjoy it. True there's the often cringe-worthy moments or plothole, but I can tune 'em out and enjoy the general good stuff without worrying about it. I guess I'm lucky!

Casting changes don't really bother me - I have my favourites, of course, but the loss of a character is no biggy (Beckett was my fave, then they killed him off. No biggy - it's their choice). For me, one character does not make a show, but the general concept and atmosphere do - and that's still there for me.

SMB_BOOKS
February 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
As of right now, I'm not making any plans to tune in to Season 5.

Suzotchka
February 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Will I be tuning in for S5? Well - even removing the whole issue with Weir, S4 for me has been .... not that great overall. So as of right now it's not looking good that I will watch. Although - teh hair might pull me back in. :sheppardanime23:

sg1psychopath
February 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Well I'll still definitely be watching! There may be the odd boring/bad ep here and there, but I've enjoyed the majority. Yes, I miss Weir, and Carson, and sometimes don't agree with the changes, but I don't let them influence what I think of the show until I've seen the episodes. And so far, I like the episodes. Quarantine, even though it wasn't the best ep ever, even got me squeaking (I do that when there's a bit I'm all weird about) and I consider that a good thing. So yes, I'll be watching! I'll be watching till the end!

delrey
February 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Personally there have been a lot of aspects of the show that i ahve not liked, such as numerious episodes being the same, atlantis goes into lockdown etc. But there are aspects i like, and if it goes off the air what esle are you going to watch? Only thing that is even close any more is BSG and that show has been way out there, i would rather watch sga than bsg. So i would rather watch a crappy sga than a good anything esle that is on scifie

Integrabyte
February 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Nope ***add in Timbaland and Furtado song ;)***

Dr Weir
February 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Nope! I much rather stick my fingers down my throat.

Cautious Explorer
February 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
It's not likely. This season has been too depressing. It's like watching an old friend die. There's not much left of the show I used to love.

SG13-NightOps
February 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Wouldnt miss it for the world!

Jumper_One
February 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM

same here :)

Briangate78
February 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM
So to answer the original question..

Q : Are you going to tune in?

A : Does a Bear S*** in the woods!?

:p

Jumper_One
February 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM

is that a yes? :P

Skydiver
February 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
As ALL of you know, torri's employment situation is not on topic for this thread as a main topic.

the question is 'are you going to tune in' not 'what is your opinion of torri's employment'

Starrtom
February 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Bring on season 5, and oh 6 and 7 aswell. Can't wait..........!!!!

kirmit
February 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
No I'm not tuning in, 'Midway' is going to be my last SGA ep and I'm only watching that because Tealc is in it.

gilmoregirlz
February 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Bring on season 5, and oh 6 and 7 aswell. Can't wait..........!!!!

The above two comments pretty much sum it up for me.
Season 5? I'll be there!!

Bring on more 'gate, gotta love it!

Mitchell82
February 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Probably not.
It seems the ZPM of Creativity in SGA is running too low. That's why "Character Development" or filler eps are more frecuent. It isn't "The best season ever" to me
changes are needed, including in the writing Dept.

Confused here. Since when is character development a bad thing?

KikeGate
February 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Confused here. Since when is character development a bad thing?

It's never been a bad thing at all, that should be done as show moves forward. But many filler Eps are advertised as "Character Development Eps" by Show producer ( Mr Mallozi ).

delrey
February 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I would just like to ask, for those who dont like many aspects of the show now and wont watch another season, even with its flaws, is there still anything better out there, no.

wm_1987
February 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hell yes I'll be watching! As long as Joe F is in it, I'm a very happy gir.

PBMom
February 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Despite my disagreement with cast changes, I am addicted to the show, so I will always be tuning in for as long as they continue to make them. If my husband tries to talk during the episodes, I yell at him (being married 15 years allows me to do that without repercussions!). I watch them again when they re-run later that evening, I download them from ITunes, and then buy the DVD, watch every featurette, listen to every commentary.

Fenrir Foxz
February 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM

ROFLMAO!!! :D

Not if he can find an empty tent! :P

I know hell would freeze over before I decided not to watch S5, I've enjoyed the present season and I believe S5 will continue with what I have enjoyed about the show so far :)

Celcool
February 13th, 2008, 11:17 PM
No. See my sig for further explanation.

SG13-NightOps
February 13th, 2008, 11:18 PM
It's never been a bad thing at all, that should be done as show moves forward. But many filler Eps are advertised as "Character Development Eps" by Show producer ( Mr Mallozi ).

As has been explained several times in several threads, the filler episodes, be it you call them "Character Development eps" or "fractured team eps" were not caused by the wellspring of creativity in the writing department, nor the lack there of (as your opinion may vary).

It was due to other commitments by the actors which reduced the ability to film contiguous episodes with the full ensemble.

Rachel Lutrell and David Hewlett became parents during the filming. Amanda Tapping was still heavily involved in Sanctuary. I understand that Jason Momoa also had another involvement which took his time. So if they forced an ensemble for as long as possible, the season cliffhanger would be..... Will Shep kirk it with Keller??

I understand that it is easy to blame the writers, and honestly, not everyone will look this kind of information up before deciding the writers and producers are entirely at fault.

However, no good ever came from jumping to conclusions.

flynn1959
February 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I would just like to ask, for those who dont like many aspects of the show now and wont watch another season, even with its flaws, is there still anything better out there, no.

Yes, actually, just maybe not on tv. I have found that for myself and my family we are watching less and less tv now, maybe four/five hours per week and that's great! Tv has only been around for a very short time, people found plenty of things to do before and they can find plenty of interesting things to do now.

Speaking for myself I wouldn't watch a show I didn't like or find entertaining just because there was nothing better out there. I would switch off the set and go find something to do.

jenks
February 14th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I'll definitely be watching, let's just hope season 5 can live up to the very high standards of season 4. :)

ShadowMaat
February 14th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Why ask if you're going to answer yourself with what YOU think is the right answer?

Personally, I think there's a lot of stuff out there that's better than Atlantis. NCIS, for starters. They have a lot of main characters, but I've never felt that any one of them was being neglected. They may not all get the same amount of screen time, but they're all useful in what they do and they all contribute something important to the story.

Heroes is another show with a large and diverse cast, but TPTB have found a way to make it work. More or less. ;) The characters are widely varied and interesting and their stories all manage to weave in and out from each other.

Chuck and Psych are both silly, romping shows, but unlike Atlantis they've never pretended to be anything else. Both have sparks of intelligence and really snappy writing that doesn't insult the audience... or the characters.

Supernatural, of course, is still going strong and is doing a pretty good job of mixing great stand-alones in with the continuing story arcs. The characters are vibrant and three-dimensional and have an emotional resonance that has almost always been missing in Atlantis. The stories balance camp and seriousness in a way that Stargate's PTB haven't been able to do for YEARS, and again, the show doesn't treat its audience/fans like a group of morons and it doesn't lobotomize its characters in order to accomplish a story.

It's all my opinion, of course, and I know there'll be many who disagree (in some cases vehemently), but who likes what is such a subjective thing, anyway, it's kinda hard to quantify it. Mileage varies, but for me there are a lot of shows out there better than Atlantis and for a variety of reasons, some of which I've tried to explain. Y'all can go on about how, "Oh, that's not how it is, Atlantis has great character development and stories!" and for you it'd probably be true, but for me Atlantis hasn't been great for a long time. Fortunately, there are a lot of other options out there. ;)

ToasterOnFire
February 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Of course there is! I think Heroes, BSG, and 30 Rock easily top SGA. Even with their flaws. ;) And The Wire is stellar all around - its 5 seasons have been some of the best on TV period.

And when there is crap on TV, I can always watch anime to get my SF/Fantasy fix. There are plenty of series that blow SGA out of the water. Same thing with SF/Fan books too. :)

ShadowMaat
February 14th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I've been reading a lot of books, lately. They're another good alternative to Atlantis and likewise tend to be better written, although drawing parallels between a book and a TV show is kinda difficult given the vastly different mediums. The point is that while some believe that Atlantis at its worst is still better than anything else out there, that doesn't necessarily hold true for everyone.

JoeHundredaire
February 14th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Yep. Can't write random crackheaded femmeslash if I don't tune in to watch for new girlies to write. ^_^

Killdeer
February 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM

That's a matter of opinion. Shadowmaat said it better than I did, but there's a lot of shows I'm enjoying more than Atlantis right now. I'm still most likely going to watch Atlantis next season, but for me there's also NCIS, Heroes, Burn Notice (most awesome show to come along in a LONG time IMO :D), Chuck, Numb3rs, and Eureka. And I'm getting into the new Terminator show - we'll see how that goes, if it survives. And there's a few others. No, I haven't put the investment into any of those like I have Atlantis, which is why I'll probably keep watching, but I wouldn't ever say that Atlantis is the best thing out there, because even among the shows I watch, I don't consider it the best. It's just the one I'm most invested in at the moment.

ShadowMaat
February 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Ooooo, Burn Notice! Shame on me for forgetting that one! More smart, snazzy dialogue and it manages to get in a violence-and-explosions quotient, too. And one doesn't come at the expense of the other.

Killdeer
February 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Ooooo, Burn Notice! Shame on me for forgetting that one! More smart, snazzy dialogue and it manages to get in a violence-and-explosions quotient, too. And one doesn't come at the expense of the other.

I love Burn Notice. :D It's at the top of my favorite shows list right now - can't wait 'til S1 DVDs come out.

jelgate
February 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I love Burn Notice. :D It's at the top of my favorite shows list right now - can't wait 'til S1 DVDs come out.

:eek: The thread is being hijacked by Burn Notice fans *run away while avoiding thrown objects*

Killdeer
February 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
:eek: The thread is being hijacked by Burn Notice fans *run away while avoiding thrown objects*

Sorry! :o Back to your regularly scheduled topic. :)

Southern Red
February 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Did I hear somebody mention Burn Notice? Great show. Bruce Campbell, what's not to like?Along with most of the others mentioned. . Life is also good. And let's not forget Moonlight and of course...ahem... Women's Murder Club. Hopefully, they'll wait until JF is available to continue his story arc.

Supernatural just did a Doppelganger style show with people appearing in other people's dreams. It was well written, well acted, well everything, and we didn't even think about it being a repeat of SGA or anything else. If TPTB could write that well, they could repeat every story line ever done and I wouldn't care. I know the actors are capable. They just desperately need someone who knows what the **** they are doing. *hrumphs*

Raven56
February 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'll be watching. And looking forward to more team episodes, now that the 'baby boom' has finished :D

vaberella
February 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
In the fall most likely. Next to political debates and my soaps I need a bit more outlandish drama to fulfill my days.

Mitchell82
February 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Maybe because they are? Most of the filler eps have been significantly character oriented.

Integrabyte
February 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Maybe because they are? Most of the filler eps have been significantly character oriented.

Characters with not connection to SGA :P

Mitchell82
February 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Characters with not connection to SGA :P

Huh? Last I checked Ronon, Shep, Mckay, Teyla, And Keller are part of SGA.

Willow'sCat
February 14th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Characters with not connection to SGA :PIf they are in SGA they are connected. :S

I am going to tune in, I said in a season 3 thread somewhere :S that season 4 would determine if I left this fandom or not, stopped watching or not, well season 4 has had some low points but over all I found it (OK still four eps left) to be better then season two and and three combined; I got a lot of what I wanted, from more character interactions, to a less comic McKay and even the unexpected "John" from McKay's mouth. *yippy* Of course not having some characters around in season 5 will also be good. ;) I am also looking forward to the Jackson appearance, no I wasn't a fan of SG-1 characters crossing over but now SG-1 is finished for good *it seems* I can let some of my hostility go. I have grown as a fan. :p

So basically season 5 looks like it could be the best yet, I think I have learned to accept that SGA is not going to be the show I first thought it was, and now I find I am just enjoying it for what it is, a scifi show with no "issues" to address in society, no feeling that it has to be the next big thing, and no need to pander to a section of fandom that by their own admission is leaving anyway.

*shrugs*

I have hope now where there was none. ;):D

pisces27
February 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'll definitely be watching. I'm loving S4 and looking forward to S5.

Mitchell82
February 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'll definitely be watching. I'm loving S4 and looking forward to S5.

Same here.

Koshi700
February 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well, yes, I will be tuning in to Season 5. Though I have to admit that while I have for the most part enjoyed this season of SGA, I'm not as excited about it as I used to be. I used to not be able to wait until Friday night so I could watch it, now I just download it from Itunes and then watch them when I finally feel like it.

I have to agree with the person that said it feels forced this year, because I feel the same way. None of them seem to be meshing anymore( Except maybe for Sheppard and McKay, but those two just have great on screen chemistry and will always click). Carter has never really managed to fit in as far as I'm concerned, and she wasn't the big improvement over Weir that they were shouting she was going to be. I'm not saying she was bad, because I have actually found myself enjoying her now and then. But, I don't know, I was expecting them to do something exciting with her from the way TPTB were talking and instead we pretty much get zip. I feel that Carter's character was wasted. Yes, I wasn't that excited that she was going to be on the show from the beginning, but I figure if she's going to be there, use her for pete's sake. So far she's been wallpaper.

And as much as I actually tried to like Keller, she has just left me cold. Not in the sense of I hate her character, but just in the fact that she just doesn't do anything for me. She's just there, and meh, I can take her or leave her. There just doesn't seem to be much to her. Maybe that will change in Season five. But, I don't know, she just seems boring to me. Maybe now that she's a regular they will do more with her, but I'm not holding my breath.

And yes, I have to admit that the lack of Carson has also dampened my excitment for SGA. I really looked forward to seeing him, and it seems pretty empty without him. Maybe his return will bring back some of the spark for me.

I have to admit that I don't really care about the "muscial chairs commanders" anymore. TPTB are going to do as they please and to heck with what the fans want. At least that's the feeling I've gotten from SGA's PTB. So, meh, when I finally get fed up with all their BS I'll just move on. And sadly they probably won't even notice because I'll just disappear. Though at least this time the change is because Amanda has decided to move on rather then them pushing her to the side like they did with Torri.

Although, I do have to admit, I'm a bit intrigued that they have picked Woolsey, he seems like an odd choice and because of that he just might work out. I love Robert Picardo, he's a fantastic actor so it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I got to meet him in person a few years ago at an ST convention and he was very sweet and gracious. I had already been a fan since China Beach, but meeting him just insured I'd be one forever. I do have to admit though, Woolsey is seriously going to have to grow a pair if he's going to become the commander of Atlantis. He's going to need to be able to make decisons, stick to them and enforce them or everyone is going to walk all over him. The only thing that would seriously dissapoint me is if they rewrite his character, I want him to be Woolsey, with his annoying traits and all.

So anyways, yes I will watch Season 5, probably not with the same excitment as I used to. But I still love the show, even if that love is a little tainted now.

KikeGate
February 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
As has been explained several times in several threads, the filler episodes, be it you call them "Character Development eps" or "fractured team eps" were not caused by the wellspring of creativity in the writing department, nor the lack there of (as your opinion may vary).

It was due to other commitments by the actors which reduced the ability to film contiguous episodes with the full ensemble.

Rachel Lutrell and David Hewlett became parents during the filming. Amanda Tapping was still heavily involved in Sanctuary. I understand that Jason Momoa also had another involvement which took his time. So if they forced an ensemble for as long as possible, the season cliffhanger would be..... Will Shep kirk it with Keller??

I understand that it is easy to blame the writers, and honestly, not everyone will look this kind of information up before deciding the writers and producers are entirely at fault.

However, no good ever came from jumping to conclusions.

Granted, Actors have busy agendas. An actor might not always be available to shot the eps.
But even if we get a band of the best of the best players in the field, that doesn't necessary guarantee an outstanding performance in the game without a good game plan. For SGA the game plan is the scripts written for the actors as we’ve seen in the case of Carter in SGA , many agreed that she seems not to fit in due to the way she was written for the show.
It seems to me she ( A.T)is applying the Monkey psychology: he never releases the branch he’s holding tight until he grabs a new one. She might feel deep down that it’s time to slowly let go SG Franchise, which slowly is dying out, and try to get a hold on to something new and fresh like sanctuary.

Ancavge
February 18th, 2008, 11:24 AM
:jack: yeah im going to watch season 5. Not much good on Scifi other then stargate atlantis.

LivingAsgard
February 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I haven't made up my mind yet. Atlantis has disappointed me far too much lately.

Irish Eyes
February 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Well, I started season 4 on the fence, and that's probably where I'll be when it ends which means I'll be watching season 5. However, season 4 has proven to be my least favorite season so I'm slowly becoming less invested in the show. I'm sad that SGA is no longer a show I'm excited about, but that's life.

((:sheppard::weir::mckay::teyla::beckett::ronan:))

Mitchell82
February 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Well, I started season 4 on the fence, and that's probably where I'll be when it ends which means I'll be watching season 5. However, season 4 has proven to be my least favorite season so I'm slowly becoming less invested in the show. I'm sad that SGA is no longer a show I'm excited about, but that's life.

Well hopefully the last three eps will help take you off the fence for a bit an hopefully you'll like season 5.

Briangate78
February 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Did you enjoy Midway?

Irish Eyes
February 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Did you enjoy Midway?

Well, I didn't hate it like Travellers. :) (Is this damning with faint praise?)

I am interested in the next three episodes and I'm sort of spoiler free for them which usually makes the episode more fun to watch. I admit I'm a spoiler freak (at least with this show) so it's nice I don't know much about the last episodes. Oh wait, someone's coming back, right? ;)

Briangate78
February 20th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Well, I didn't hate it like Travellers. :) (Is this damning with faint praise?)

I am interested in the next three episodes and I'm sort of spoiler free for them which usually makes the episode more fun to watch. I admit I'm a spoiler freak (at least with this show) so it's nice I don't know much about the last episodes. Oh wait, someone's coming back, right? ;)

I have to say I think the last 3 eps are going to change people's anticipation around for the better. There are folks like yourself who want the show to be better and you just have not seen that opportunity. But I think it will happen with the last 3 eps. Midway exceeded my expectations, and I now have a lot of hope for the last 3 eps. Oh and yes one character is returning. :p

maylet
February 20th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Of course I will tune in to see season 5

The.Road.Not.Taken
February 20th, 2008, 07:50 AM
i am going to see season 5 because keller has been promotoed which we will see more on her YAY!!!!!!!!

Mitchell82
February 20th, 2008, 09:13 AM
i am going to see season 5 because keller has been promotoed which we will see more on her YAY!!!!!!!!

I love Keller too. One of the many pluses of season 5 IMO.

Briangate78
February 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I will only be tuning in next season if they have Sheppard, Mckay, Ronon, and Teyla return as regulars, make Keller a regular, and bring back Carson Beckett for at least a recurring role. ;)

Mitchell82
February 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I will only be tuning in next season if they have Sheppard, Mckay, Ronon, and Teyla return as regulars, make Keller a regular, and bring back Carson Beckett for at least a recurring role. ;)

Hehehehe looks like we got our wish.:)

Cynycal
February 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
hell yes i'll be tuning in, I have faith that SGA s5 will be the best yet, Sam carter was awesome to have around n' all but i personally see Richard Woolsy as likely being more interesting as a leader, espeacially watching him change over time, plus robert picardo is the freakin man...

alot of people are all "meeh weir is gone meeeeh" i for one am glad, she was the one part of the show i disliked

Luna
February 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I will definatley tune in!

Freekzilla
February 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm not so sure I will be tuning in. At the very least it won't be to the extent I was before. I used to close the blinds, turn off the phone, and have my snack ready to go before the title sequence started. In fact, I yelled at my own mother for calling me on the phone while the program was on once! ;) She learned and hasn't called me between 8pm-11pm on friday night since. LOL! But now, I'm more like, meh, if I catch it I catch it, if I don't, then I don't. And this is ME we are talking about. ME!! LOL!

Seriously though, it's not just one thing that has turned me off. It's a whole number of issues, from constant cast changes, bad writing, long hiatuses, a certain character I really hate, and the impression that the top chair has contempt for us "lowers", among other things. Before, it it was 99.5% of the show was good in some way and it was a "can't miss" show. Now, that good part has dropped to about 50%, and the other 50% makes me not want to watch. Oh alright, it's stargate afterall, 51% of things make me wanna watch, and 49% makes me want to watch something else. So, we shall see. I don't know if I will be watching. Too many bloated promises for me to guarantee I'll be watching.

Briangate78
February 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not so sure I will be tuning in. At the very least it won't be to the extent I was before. I used to close the blinds, turn off the phone, and have my snack ready to go before the title sequence started. In fact, I yelled at my own mother for calling me on the phone while the program was on once! ;) She learned and hasn't called me between 8pm-11pm on friday night since. LOL! But now, I'm more like, meh, if I catch it I catch it, if I don't, then I don't. And this is ME we are talking about. ME!! LOL!

Seriously though, it's not just one thing that has turned me off. It's a whole number of issues, from constant cast changes, bad writing, long hiatuses, a certain character I really hate, and the impression that the top chair has contempt for us "lowers", among other things. Before, it it was 99.5% of the show was good in some way and it was a "can't miss" show. Now, that good part has dropped to about 50%, and the other 50% makes me not want to watch. Oh alright, it's stargate afterall, 51% of things make me wanna watch, and 49% makes me want to watch something else. So, we shall see. I don't know if I will be watching. Too many bloated promises for me to guarantee I'll be watching.

I predict by the time the last 3 eps air for this season, you will be fully anticipating next season and when the Season 5 premiere is upon us you'll be there on the couch blinds closed, phone off, and ready to go. ;)

Crichiel
February 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Absolutely tuning in. Do I like everything about the show? Of course not. Has there ever been any show on at any time where I have loved everyting about the show? Of course not. And unless I develop, write and produce a tv show of my own, it's never going to happen. But I like 90% of Atlantis (and about 95% of SG-1), which is far more than any other show on tv for me. So, yes. Absolutely tuning in.

chevron3
February 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
of course i'll b watching s5! even though it's going 2 b way different from earlier seasons, i'm still xcited about it.

ShadowMaat
February 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Here's something I have trouble understanding: if you've been underwhelmed by 90% of a show, how could the remaining 10% possibly make up the difference? A handful of eps compared to an entire season doesn't make something salvageable, IMO.

I'm also not sure I like seeing half a season (or more) "wasted" just to have TPTB ramp things up again at the end of the season to try and bait fans into coming back again. Just my perspective, of course, but it makes me feel less inclined to tune in if I think TPTB are only doing half the work they could and are relying more on a good season ending than a good overall project to try and lure fans back for another half-assed season.

When Atlantis is great, it can be phenomenal, but when they rest on their laurels I, for one, find it unpalatable. A couple of phenomenal eps does not a season make and lately it's hard to find eps that are even "pretty good." Again, my opinion.

If I read of any eps that sound great, I might tune in, but I don't foresee that happening very often... if at all. Of course, I could still manage to tune in for a bad ep if Lorne's involved (and more than a cameo), but then I'll be tuning in to see him, not the show. ;)

Amaunet
February 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
I'll definitely be watching S5! Even if I've been a bit disappointed by some the recent news concerning S5, I'm still very excited for it! :D

Mitchell82
February 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Here's something I have trouble understanding: if you've been underwhelmed by 90% of a show, how could the remaining 10% possibly make up the difference? A handful of eps compared to an entire season doesn't make something salvageable, IMO.

I'm also not sure I like seeing half a season (or more) "wasted" just to have TPTB ramp things up again at the end of the season to try and bait fans into coming back again. Just my perspective, of course, but it makes me feel less inclined to tune in if I think TPTB are only doing half the work they could and are relying more on a good season ending than a good overall project to try and lure fans back for another half-assed season.

When Atlantis is great, it can be phenomenal, but when they rest on their laurels I, for one, find it unpalatable. A couple of phenomenal eps does not a season make and lately it's hard to find eps that are even "pretty good." Again, my opinion.

If I read of any eps that sound great, I might tune in, but I don't foresee that happening very often... if at all. Of course, I could still manage to tune in for a bad ep if Lorne's involved (and more than a cameo), but then I'll be tuning in to see him, not the show. ;)

Well I do respect your opinion i do disagree with it. IMO season 4 has been phenomenal andI have great faith that season 5 will be too.

Bagpuss
February 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'll be tuning in for S5 ,but I will stay out of a sense of loyalty to my favourite characters ,addiction to the stories ,and curiosity to find out what happens next in the arcs and new cast.:cool:

I'm pragmatic ,rather than being excited and doing a whooppee stomp though.
I've felt a sense of deja vu way too often in S4 .Some episodes are keepers for me and others aren't.

Whatever.*Shrug* I'll be there when Sky tv air S5.:)

The.Road.Not.Taken
February 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I'll be tuning in for S5 ,but I will stay out of a sense of loyalty to my favourite characters ,addiction to the stories ,and curiosity to find out what happens next in the arcs and new cast.:cool:

I'm pragmatic ,rather than being excited and doing a whooppee stomp though.
I've felt a sense of deja vu way too often in S4 .Some episodes are keepers for me and others aren't.

Whatever.*Shrug* I'll be there when Sky tv air S5.:)

lol i agree with deja vu we need some brand spanking new new new new ideas for s5 come on writers we know you can do it:D

Bagpuss
February 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I hope so .:D

Briangate78
February 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I'll definitely be watching S5! Even if I've been a bit disappointed by some the recent news concerning S5, I'm still very excited for it! :D

After The Kindred and The last man storylines, I think folks are going to be really anticipating next season. They already began a new very interesting story arc for this past Friday's episode, imo. Hopefully it will be enough to keep people interesting for next season, I think it will be. :cool:

The.Road.Not.Taken
February 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
After The Kindred and The last man storylines, I think folks are going to be really anticipating next season. They already began a new very interesting story arc for this past Friday's episode, imo. Hopefully it will be enough to keep people interesting for next season, I think it will be. :cool:

hopefully all the carson beckett fan will watch season 5 this time because he is in some of the episodes

Falcon Horus
February 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Mmmmaybe.... possibly... not entirely sure yet... BUT I'm known to be weak in that regard, like Teyla keeping me in place...unfortunately does that require me to sleep through every episode, hoping Teyla wakes me up to watch those sequences.

Can't say season 4 impressed me...actually it did, but not in a good way...And season 5 is as of yet not bringing anything remotely exciting to the table.

Maybe I should conserve my download on better stuff...

Of course, I'm required to watch in order to finish my research...seems like I don't have a choice after all.

suse
February 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Yup. :)

suse

MOOMUR
February 25th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Yup, I'm really liking what is happening this season.

Only for Season 5 I am going to try to do it spoiler free!

Jumper_One
February 25th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Of course, I'm required to watch in order to finish my research...seems like I don't have a choice after all.

oh yeah I almost forgot about that. are you still watching s3?

good luck with that :P

Ice Wolf
February 25th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I think shes finished S3 and found that Weir was in no way a secondary character.

Jumper_One
February 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I think shes finished S3

oh ok thanks :)

and found that Weir was in no way a secondary character.

well that's certainly no surprise ;)

Briangate78
February 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
You know I was upset when O'neill/RDA left SG-1 back in Season 9 of SG-1 but I still found the show watchable, then Season 10 came along and I loved it!

Jumper_One
February 25th, 2008, 06:35 PM
You know I was upset when O'neill/RDA left SG-1 back in Season 9 of SG-1 but I still found the show watchable, then Season 10 came along and I loved it!

I was just asking about Falcon Horus's research :P

MOOMUR
February 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by MOOMUR

good luck with that [QUOTE=Jumper_One;7798393]oh yeah I almost forgot about that. are you still watching s3?

good luck with that :P

haha I know, I most likely won't beable to.

Briangate78
February 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM

I was just asking about Falcon Horus's research :P

Yes, and I'm just making a point. ;) :p

Jumper_One
February 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yes, and I'm just making a point. ;) :p

and I agree - more or less ;)

fumblesmcstupid
February 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
ABSO FRAGIN LUTLY

YOU BET YOUR FRELLING BOOTY I WILL!

UNDOMESTICATED EQUINES COULD NOT KEEP ME FROM WATCHING!!

(I like cap locks)

:sheppard::mckay::teyla::ronan::wraithanime11::beckettanime14:

and Keller, Zelenka & Lorn!!!

so that would be

yes! I am