Alterans spreading life and terraforming systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alterans spreading life and terraforming systems

I got to wonder... before the Alterans came to the Milky Way, there was little life in that galaxy, right?

Realistically, it seems hard to see how there could be so many inhabitable planets, with parameters which so closely match those of Earth.

I'm not even counting the fauna and flora which are very similar.

So, I suppose the Alterans settled on Earth, then developped their civilization and started creating more worlds suitable to life, by removing or adding the necessary mass to certain planets in other systems, until parameters would be very close to Earth.
    The planets would be placed in the life zone (moving them on the correct orbit).
    If necessary, a proper sun would be created as well.

Then they transplanted a lot of the lifeforms from Earth on these otherworlds, as well as seeding a few other worlds which wouldn't be strictly Earth-like, which through millions of years of evolution, would lead to the couple of alien species we've met, like the Serrakins, the Reo'le, the Foothold ones, etc.

It could even be possible that the Nox, Asgards and Furlings are different evolutions of the same seeds. That is very speculative of course, and even a tad too alteran-centric to my tastes. But it does work.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

my thoory always wa that the gate system does not cover planets with a gravity to high or too low ocmpared to the earth, and it hink the ANchients used Dakara to "seed' life on thsese planets soemhow.

Comment

Who knows all those mentioned races could be from other Galaxies originally.
      I always assumed that the MW Galaxy was empty of life and was seeded by the Ancients. Why they seed life is something I wanna know.

Comment

I believe they did it because of the plague, it has been said the dakara device was used to seed life back after the plague wiped everything out, perhaps there was life that developed on their own or perhaps they created it, or a mixture of both. We will probably never know.
        Best quotes ever:
        O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
        Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
        Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
        Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
        Thor:I like the yellow ones
        O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
          I got to wonder... before the Alterans came to the Milky Way, there was little life in that galaxy, right?

Realistically, it seems hard to see how there could be so many inhabitable planets, with parameters which so closely match those of Earth.

So, I suppose the Alterans settled on Earth, then developped their civilization and started creating more worlds suitable to life, by removing or adding the necessary mass to certain planets in other systems, until parameters would be very close to Earth.
          The planets would be placed in the life zone (moving them on the correct orbit).

Then they transplanted a lot of the lifeforms from Earth on these otherworlds, as well as seeding a few other worlds which wouldn't be strictly Earth-like, which through millions of years of evolution, would lead to the couple of alien species we've met, like the Serrakins, the Reo'le, the Foothold ones, etc.

It could even be possible that the Nox, Asgards and Furlings are different evolutions of the same seeds. That is very speculative of course, and even a tad too alteran-centric to my tastes. But it does work.
          In Season SG-1 Season 4 episode "Scorched Earth" the highly advanced Gadmeer civilization was able to terraform a carbon based ecosytem into one based off of sulfur.

I think the Alterans probably terraformed the rest of the MW galaxy based off the earth model. However it would also make sense that they terraformed Earth based off of a model they could live in.

One thing I don't get is the timeline- Alterans are humans from another galaxy, they were highly advanced when they came to Earth, whether they terraformed it or not. Then they built a gate network possibly terraforming hundreds of planets and moved the human race throughout the galaxy. Then they leave the MW galaxy and head to the Pegasus galaxy. They fight and loose a war with the Wraith some ascend some return home to MW to live out their days. Now this all had to happen long before the Goa'uld even discovered Earth. What I don't get is why by the time the Goa'uld arrived on Earth the Alterans/Ancients had lost so much knowledge and technology? What was responsible for the backwards evolution of human technology and biology? So we are led to think in fact that humans on Earth are completing independent of the human Ancients and that only upon their return to the MW the to species interbred. But then how are two species from different galaxies so biologically similar? If they evolved independently from two different galaxies I doubt this would happen. There is no reason really for the Alterans to create lesser human life through evolution on Earth.
          sigpic

Comment

The Stargate System in the MW only goes to worlds in which the Ancients originally had colonies. So it is likely those worlds would be Earth like, either through natural design or Terra forming. The same goes with the PG gate system. So there could be thousands of planets with various alien life forms in the MW galaxy that we know nothing about simply because there is no gate there. It should also be noted that MW gate system is no longer in the same form as it was when the Ancients were in the galaxy. As the G'uald as well as who knows what else have been re-arranging the position of the gates for thousands of years. Who knows how many Ancient worlds are no longer on the Grid in the MW becuase a system lord took that worlds gate and moved it somewhere else. Case in point. Earth, what planet did Ra's gate come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
              In Season SG-1 Season 4 episode "Scorched Earth" the highly advanced Gadmeer civilization was able to terraform a carbon based ecosytem into one based off of sulfur.

I think the Alterans probably terraformed the rest of the MW galaxy based off the earth model. However it would also make sense that they terraformed Earth based off of a model they could live in.

One thing I don't get is the timeline- Alterans are humans from another galaxy, they were highly advanced when they came to Earth, whether they terraformed it or not. Then they built a gate network possibly terraforming hundreds of planets and moved the human race throughout the galaxy. Then they leave the MW galaxy and head to the Pegasus galaxy. They fight and loose a war with the Wraith some ascend some return home to MW to live out their days. Now this all had to happen long before the Goa'uld even discovered Earth. What I don't get is why by the time the Goa'uld arrived on Earth the Alterans/Ancients had lost so much knowledge and technology? What was responsible for the backwards evolution of human technology and biology? So we are led to think in fact that humans on Earth are completing independent of the human Ancients and that only upon their return to the MW the to species interbred. But then how are two species from different galaxies so biologically similar? If they evolved independently from two different galaxies I doubt this would happen. There is no reason really for the Alterans to create lesser human life through evolution on Earth.
              The Ancients left Earth some 2-3millions years ago. It was at that point that Earth was seeded with human life. All other planets in the MW that have/had humans were either transplanted their by the System Lords, Merlin, or even the Asgard. How the Ancients were able to control the evolution of life on Earth so as to create their second evolution is a mystery of the SG universe. However, upon returning to Earth from Atlantis some 2k years before Ra found it the Ancients intermingled with the population helping some societies to advance. Others went into seclusion to achieve ascension, while some traveled to the Antarctic Outpost and left Earth via the stargate. There really was no de-evolution on the Lantians side and its not likely they would have shared any advanced tech with the primitive humans. If anything the inclusion of their advanced DNA into our gene pool accelerated our evolution several thousand years.

Comment

Mr.Oregon, these questions will only be settled when thye make a show showing the Ancients arriving in the Milky Way galaxy 50+ million years ago. The series could start with an Alterran ambassador officially telling an Ori that thye can't live together anymore due to incompatibility and move form there to the Milky Wayy. I think the ancients far more fascinating than both shows, and I would like to see a show bout it..

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
                  Mr.Oregon, these questions will only be settled when thye make a show showing the Ancients arriving in the Milky Way galaxy 50+ million years ago. The series could start with an Alterran ambassador officially telling an Ori that thye can't live together anymore due to incompatibility and move form there to the Milky Wayy. I think the ancients far more fascinating than both shows, and I would like to see a show bout it..
                  I don't find the Ancients that intresting but a show about the four great races now that would be intresting or even the rise of the goa'uld(and knowing the PTB they would blame the Ancients for it) or the rise of the replicators now that would be great IMP
                  Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                  A Face you Can Trust
                  sigpic
                  So whats the worst that could happen?
                  Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                  It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Wrong. Life has existed on Earth for at least 3.7 billion years. The ancients have only been in the Milky Way for the last 50 million years or so.

Of course I'm assuming you mean all life. That's not what the writers mean when they say life; they mean intelligent life, like people.

Realistically, there's no way to come to any conclusion until we have some real-world data to give us facts. Right now we only know of a single habitable world in the universe, which is Earth. Our technology is too primitive to detect Earth-like planets around other stars, but we're only about 10-20 years from having that technology available.

Of course, with there being roughly 75,000,000,000 stars that are similar to our sun in our galaxy alone, the odds of more habitable planets being out there are pretty staggering.

Well, evolutionary theory states that if they're similar, they're probably related. In this case, it would seem all the plant and animal life in the Milky Way originated somewhere in southwestern Canada.

So, I suppose the Alterans settled on Earth...
                    The problem here is the overwhelming lack of evidence that would date back 50 million years. There are no Alteran ruins to be found on Earth when we see them all over other worlds.
                    Sure, Atlantis was here some time in the last 5-10 million years, but the only evidence that the Alterans ever set foot on Earth is the Antarctica StarGate.
                    Based on that, I'd conclude that the Alterans planted StarGates on worlds that were already habitable. In fact, I don't see any reason why they'd need to terraform. The StarGate pretty much opens up every habitable planet in a galaxy.

...then developped their civilization and started creating more worlds suitable to life, by removing or adding the necessary mass to certain planets in other systems, until parameters would be very close to Earth.
                    Adding mass to a planet would require millions of years to cool down and become habitable again. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it's a very long term investment.

Another problem is this affinity for Earth-like worlds. A planet doesn't have to be exactly like Earth to produce life (or even intelligent life). It just has to have some of the same characteristics.
                    Humans can live on planets with less than 1 Gee. Humans can live with an atmosphere lower than 1000 millibars. Humans can live on a world without a magnetosphere.

The idea that a planet has to be exactly like Earth for humans to live on it is pretty silly.

Wow, you're not kidding around are you? Moving planets was probably within the ancients capability, but creating stars; I'm not so sure. Really there is no reason to create your own stars. Just move planets of the right mass to star systems that would be suitable.
                    SG-1 was able to fly a massive asteroid through hyperspace, so it should be possible to fly a planet through hyperspace to a new star system (and that would be really cool to see!).

Well, the Foothold aliens were supposed to be from another galaxy, but I'd agree with the others.

That's the thing; the writers established that finding humanoid life on other worlds other than Earth is extremely improbable. In other words, there is a common link with all humanoid species in the galaxy, and that link is the Lanteans.

The way I see it the Alterans had no wish to "seed" intelligent life at all. They came to the Milky Way to start their civilization over. When they got wiped out by the plague (which still hasn't been explained to my liking), the survivors - the Lanteans - are the ones who were doing all the "seeding".
                    It would seem since the flora and fauna of the Milky Way so closely resembles that of Earth, that the Lanteans used Earth as a picking ground then took that life to other worlds. I'm talking about bacteria, plants, animals, and yes, even proto-humans.

The only way humans in the Pegasus galaxy could have co-evolved with humans in the Milky Way is if their evolution started at the same time. If they hadn't been picked from the same source, then humans in Pegasus wouldn't be as advanced as humans in the Milky Way, they'd be at an earlier stage of evolution. Of course, saving a bunch of cave-men from the Wraith wouldn't be as inspiring as saving people we could actually interact with.

I guess my point is Earth was simply a world that wasn't effected by the plague that wiped out the Alterans. That's why it's special. It was the source for most of the life in the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies.
                    As for the Asgard, Nox, Furling and other so-called "aliens", I think they came from a different method of seeding.

Suppose when the Lanteans left for Pegasus they weren't the only city-ship around. Now suppose these other city-ships went to other nearby galaxies with the same intentions as Atlantis; to seed life where there seemed to be none. Now suppose that when these other city-ships got to their destinations, they found life; not intelligent life, but animal life. So, they genetically engineered some of these alien animals to direct their evolution towards a humanoid form and intelligence. Wait a couple million years, and you end up with the Asgard, Nox and (maybe) the Furling.

Hypothetical? Sure, but it fits what we see.
                    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAccended View Post
                      The Ancients left Earth some 2-3millions years ago. It was at that point that Earth was seeded with human life. All other planets in the MW that have/had humans were either transplanted their by the System Lords, Merlin, or even the Asgard. How the Ancients were able to control the evolution of life on Earth so as to create their second evolution is a mystery of the SG universe. However, upon returning to Earth from Atlantis some 2k years before Ra found it the Ancients intermingled with the population helping some societies to advance. Others went into seclusion to achieve ascension, while some traveled to the Antarctic Outpost and left Earth via the stargate. There really was no de-evolution on the Lantians side and its not likely they would have shared any advanced tech with the primitive humans. If anything the inclusion of their advanced DNA into our gene pool accelerated our evolution several thousand years.
                      Yeah but the Lantians that traveled back to Earth from the Pegasus Galaxy supposedly stayed their and intermingled with the less advanced humans. I want to know why and where the lesser evolved humans came from and why the Lanteans abandoned technology(except for a few like Merlin). There seems to be a lot of things that didn't make sense.
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh no, please. The last time they attempted to show more of the Alterans, it's been a slap in the face, a naïve and underwhelming insult to what they could have been.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Oh no, please. The last time they attempted to show more of the Alterans, it's been a slap in the face, a naïve and underwhelming insult to what they could have been.
                          Interesting. Iam curious to know what you think they could ahve been. That Athosian man - for got his name - described the Ancients as:

"The greatest race to ever inhabit the stars."

In the old version of the omnipedia, this is what was written about their technology:

"the Ancients, also known as Alterrans and Lanteans int he Pegasus Galaxy, were the most advanced race that ever existed. The sheer vastness and power of Ancient technology can never be replicated again."

Remeber how the Asgard felt about the Ancients:

"...and the Ancients, the builders of the Stargates. A long time ago, our scientists extracted a small part of the Ancient library of knowledge. But we have been studying it for as far as I can remeber and we have not even scratched the surface."

They worhipped the Ancient for teir antiquity and advancement.

The Goa'uld, themselves far ahead technologically from Earth, were completely unable to understand Ancient technology. And the replicators, who could advance Asgard technology beyong the understanding of the Asgard themselves, also didn't understand Ancient tech, and ultimately were defeated by it.

This is why I find your statement that the Ancients are a let down, because they are described in canon as being so über that it is ridiculous. Can you explain yourself?

Comment

Interesting. Iam curious to know what you think they could ahve been. That Athosian man - for got his name - described the Ancients as:

"The greatest race to ever inhabit the stars."

In the old version of the omnipedia, this is what was written about their technology:

"the Ancients, also known as Alterrans and Lanteans int he Pegasus Galaxy, were the most advanced race that ever existed. The sheer vastness and power of Ancient technology can never be replicated again."

Remeber how the Asgard felt about the Ancients:

"...and the Ancients, the builders of the Stargates. A long time ago, our scientists extracted a small part of the Ancient library of knowledge. But we have been studying it for as far as I can remeber and we have not even scratched the surface."

They worhipped the Ancient for teir antiquity and advancement.

The Goa'uld, themselves far ahead technologically from Earth, were completely unable to understand Ancient technology. And the replicators, who could advance Asgard technology beyong the understanding of the Asgard themselves, also didn't understand Ancient tech, and ultimately were defeated by it.

This is why I find your statement that the Ancients are a let down, because they are described in canon as being so über that it is ridiculous. Can you explain yourself?
                            Compare your quotes and AoT.

Comment

Compare your quotes and AoT.
                              So? AOT is about ascended being and not about the pre-ascended Ancients.

Comment

Working...
                              X