can someone explain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can someone explain?

hello something has been bothering me in several sci fi shows you see spaceships use tactics like doing a loop but how do the people remain standing even with artificial gravity when the ship is upside down the floor becomes the ceiling and the ceiling the floor but somehow everything stays in place the people stay in place even without seatbelts?

The artificial gravity is relative to the ship's interior, not the angle at which the ship is at. Like a magnet will still work upside down, or vacuum cleaner will suck things upwards.

Basically the gravity is coming from the floor, the floor is always the floor no matter wether the ship is upside down or not.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Tobias View Post
        The artificial gravity is relative to the ship's interior, not the angle at which the ship is at. Like a magnet will still work upside down, or vacuum cleaner will suck things upwards.

Basically the gravity is coming from the floor, the floor is always the floor no matter wether the ship is upside down or not.
        Originally posted by Uncle Tobias View Post
        Both of these are good points.

Too add:

In space, there is no natural force of gravity. Therefore, Without the Artificial gravity of the gravity generators, the people would float around in space (see old video footage of the USA space shuttles for more info). However, with the addition of the gravity generators, it pulls everything towards the floor of the ship. In the same way that the Earth's gravity pulls us naturally down towards the core, A ship's Gravity artificially pulls us down towards the floor. It would be like wearing a pair of magnetic boots. Wherever you activate the force of the magnet, would be where it would stick too. If the Gravity generators we're put into a wall....everyone would be stuck against a wall.

It takes some thinking, but to understand it, Try to forget everything you know about gravity, because it does not exist in space. There is no force pulling everything to the center of it. Everything moves freely.

Also think of this. Without gravity, there can be no Up or Down. Up and Down in an earthly sense is based upon the pull of gravity on our bodies. Seeing as there is no up and down, you need a point of reference to determine what angle the ship you are in is at. See these figures(please forgive the crudeness....quickly drawn in google sketch)

The Red/Blue/Green Block represents earth.

In this image, The ship is moving Up in relation to the earths core. The red represents the Earth's Arctic region. This ship could be deduced to have taken off, straight up, from the north pole. Regardless of it's direction once it reaches space, the artificial gravity will pull the ship in the direction of the indicated arrow. the ship could flip, roll, and whatnot, but the AG(artificial gravity) will still pull it towards the bottom of the ship.

In this image, the ship is moving along the Equator of the Earth. Even though the ship is at a complete 90 degree angle from its counterpart in figure one, the AG will still pull the people on-board towards the center of the ship.

Some References to look at:

There is also a great Season 6 SG1 episode that has some gravity stuff in it.

Episode 6
        "Abyss"

If you know that episode you could kind of see what I'm talking about. If not, watch the episode.

Another thing to reference is Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" They talk a bit in there about direction and it's relation to Gravity in space.

NOTE: I apologize if this sounds condescending. I do not know you and wanted to attempt to explain it in the easiest terms.

Comment

Exactly, good points. How did you not understand that?
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

hah quite a funny question here:

what makes the ships always the right way up when meeting other ships or something

i would like to see a scene where a ship meets another and one of them says "why you upside down"
            sigpic

Comment

It has always been my understanding that ships orient themselves along side the lead ship if they are following one another. Or meeting up with another ship the incoming ship will orient itself to the same axis as the ship its meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by genius21
                how do the people remain standing even with artificial gravity when the ship is upside down
                you're absolutely right ! in fact it's been proven via Einstein's very Special Theory of Relativity that gravity in space (when far from main gravitational sources) depends on the TV set's orientation - that's why we should always turn the TV set upside down whenever a 304 performs a loop, lest our favourite characters get a nasty bump on their heads !

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                  you're absolutely right ! in fact it's been proven via Einstein's very Special Theory of Relativity that gravity in space (when far from main gravitational sources) depends on the TV set's orientation - that's why we should always turn the TV set upside down whenever a 304 performs a loop, lest our favourite characters get a nasty bump on their heads !

Comment

i believe in space there is no up or down. down is where your feet are.
                    sigpic
                    I am a geek and proud.

Comment

Would be interesting to see a new tactic used which targets a ships uhh "artificial gravity system". That would severely cripple the enemy ship.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyg View Post
                        i believe in space there is no up or down. down is where your feet are.
                        Exactly. Because "Down" and "Up" are words relative to the force of gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
                          Would be interesting to see a new tactic used which targets a ships uhh "artificial gravity system". That would severely cripple the enemy ship.
                          Unless the designers were smart enough to include seat belts and hand holds. We've seen that Odyssey has hand holds on its consoles and bulkheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
                            This would be kind of cool to see...seeing as, without the gravity, they would be unable to push the buttons to fire their own weapons...

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                            Unless the designers were smart enough to include seat belts and hand holds. We've seen that Odyssey has hand holds on its consoles and bulkheads.
                            well, thats just because we are awesome!

Comment

thanks everyone that makes sense but does that also mean that the AG is the source of inertial dampeners or is that something different again becouse inertial dampeners are used to counter g-force and stop people being thrown against a wall during rapid acceleration and high speed manouvers.

is that the result from the AG?

Comment

Working...
                              X