Projectile Weapons vs Energy Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Projectile Weapons vs Energy Weapons

So at the end of season 10 of stargate SG1 we were given the Asgard database, along with being in Atlatnis for four years now where plenty of energy based weapons, then we have had access to Goa'uld weapons for years, and then we saw we could make a plasma based weapon in "Bounty"

So we do have access to energy weapons but we don't switch so what is better the standard Projectile Weapons or energy weapons?

Both have advantages and disadvantages but which should the team use?

Also why do you think the weapons have not been made yet

I have my own theory about this but I would like to hear others first
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The Asgard who relied on energy weapons found our projectile weapons quite interesting. As evidenced by Thor's discussion with Carter in season 4. Without them we would have been as helpless as the Asgard and Goa'uld against the replicators. I think they still have benefits in some situations that beam weapons can't replace.

Greater damage potential is not the only thing to look at when evaluating a weapon.
    sigpic

Comment

My opinion is that projectile weapons, while seemingly less powerful than their energy based counterparts, can be far more devastating.

My opinion, unfounded though it may be, is that a more or less solid projectile will cause significantly more general damage than a similarly powered energy weapon.

However in Sci-Fi this is often not shown to be the case.

P.S. Sorry for the repeat comments in this post.

Comment

i think they use P90's G36's ect coz they have a rapid fire an can cover a large area with suppresive fire. the only down side is that u can run out of ammo.

P.S. see season 5 ep the warrior

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

With no clear winner, let's just stick with plasma-based weapons! Some refinement with a little of that Asgard magic, and you've got yourself a weapon that has the best aspects of projectile and energy weapons in a single, handy package.

Behold, the future of plasma:

Spoiler:
          Plasma weapons are more rugged than their far more fragile laser weapon counterparts and would be ideal for use in heavy combat. The easiest way to explain how a plasma weapon works is as follows:

* Refined weapon grade fuel (usually hydrogen) is siphoned off from a 'magazine' or reservoir and injected into a containment vessel that is protected internally by very intense magnetic fields which will keep the hydrogen / fuel from actually coming into contact with the material surface of the containment vessel. This containment vessel is often referred to as a magnetic bottle. Later generations of plasma based weapons feature layered magnetic fields, in effect, magnetic sheathes.

* A high energy laser (or group of high energy lasers) flash boils the refined weapons grade hydrogen fuel contained in the magnetic bottle until it turns from a cool liquid to a superhot gas plasma (+4500 degrees flow wash temp). The magnetic fields of the containment bottle keep this process in check by preventing the superhot plasma from coming into contact with any material surface. A small part of the plasma production process can be siphoned off again as energy to help maintain the magnetic containment fields. Later designs of plasma weapons utilize layered magnetic fields in a sheath instead of just a single monofield application.

* One part of the containment field is weakened or lowered in the magnetic bottle, allowing the super hot ionized plasma gas to 'escape' or be handed off through a rapidly cycling sphincter type array that controls both the length and diameter of the bolt. The "escape" or hand-off of the plasma is induced mostly by the accelerator coil ladder field extending partially into the magnetic bottle to siphon off plasma. The acceleration coil ladder seamlessly merges the siphoned off plasma into a secondary acceleration sheath, a small magnetic pocket within the acceleration coil ladder assembly.

* The acceleration coil ladder then energizes each linear velocity coil in a rapid, stepped manner. Each coil along the ladder stack pulls the magnetically sheathed plasma towards it, faster than the last coil but slower than the next so that an effect of constant acceleration is produced along the length of the acceleration coil ladder through a consistent hand-off method. At the end of the acceleration coil ladder, the magnetically sheathed plasma is released toward the target.

* As soon as the plasma sheath leaves the confines of the acceleration field array, the magnetic sheath begins to rapidly decay, allowing the plasma to "bloom" or rapidly disperse in the ambient atmosphere (which reduces both its power and effect. The speed of the plasma bolt can be tailored to the decay of the magnetic sheath giving the arrival on target of the plasma bolt at being before the decay of the magnetic sheath allows for the plasma to fully bloom and dissipate. Slower velocity bolts have shorter ranges. Higher velocity bolts have longer ranges.

* By rapidly cycling the loading / ignition / release sequence, rapid fire shots akin to that of a machine gun could be simulated. Weapon heating would be handled by the design itself and partially alleviated by the containment fields.

* Range of the weapon would be determined by the rate of expansion (bloom) of the bolt. This would be controlled in turn by the velocity of the bolt. The faster the velocity, the farther the bolt will travel before it starts to lose temperature, cohesiveness, becomes unstable and finally dissipate. The bolt will lose both velocity and penetration power with an increase in range.

* The plasma bolt will suffer integrity degradation as it passes through lesser materials, eventually losing power through absorption attrition.

* The superheated plasma bolt would inflict damage from high velocity / kinetic impact of the plasma, from the high temperature thermal dynamics of the ionized gas, and if delivered in suitable quantity, it would also 'splatter', producing fragment-like damage to nearby surfaces and wounding or damaging targets surrounding the primary target.

* Superheating of standing liquid trapped in soft tissues and dermal surfaces combined with the rapid expansion of steam induced shock waves would result in massive damage to organic targets through large scale steam explosions.

* Wounds from plasma weapons would be akin to severe burns with most organic material of the primary wound site being vaporized. Fluids would flash to steam, organic material would turn to ash and most direct hit plasma wounds would be fatal in nature. Effects from the "splash" of a plasma weapon would consist of severe burns that might be capable of "burn through" of soft targets. Regardless, wounds received from plasma based weapons would take a long time to heal and require massive amounts of attention. Near misses might produce severe burns and heat trauma while fragments from large diameter bore weapons might be crippling or lethal with splash-like side effects. The explosive decoupling of large amounts of free standing matter (ground, terrain, armor plate, etc.) would also produce high speed lethal fragmentation in a large area around the point of impact.

* Damage to inorganic materials would be limited to the ability of the plasma bolt to punch / melt through the target material. Residual heat soak would permeate most materials for some time afterwards until the affected surfaces could once again fall to ambient temperatures through natural cooling and heat loss. fragmentation in a large area around the point of impact.

Order in the next 15 minutes to receive a bonus Plasma Inc. duffel bag containing free assorted air fresheners, guaranteed to clear your house of burned cat-hair smell in the event of accidental rifle discharge in proximity of pets.
          Last edited by Mefusta; 05 February 2008, 02:31 AM.
          Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
          Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
          Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
          - Serenity

Comment

I think it depends on the enemy.
            against the wraith I'd take an energy weapon or shotgun
            against humans I'd take a P90
            for sidearm I'd take energy weapon.

Comment

projectile weapons all the way................with a zat as sidearm of course.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Energy weapons have the advantage that many of them can be used to stun as well as kill, and they don't run out of ammunition. Projectile weapons can be useful because many believe they are less advanced. This is why they were more effective against replicators, and they still functioned in Thors hammer.
                sigpic

Comment

O.k. so I think that the beauty of the Ancient Drones, is that they are a little bit of both. An actual projectial with an encompassing energy blast.

So my conclusion...

Mini Drones - Perfect for all scenarior, imagin going down a coorider and not knowing what is ahead, you fire a couple of drones from your retrofitted p90 and they go and clear out the entire level for you.

Where was this weapon in Doom?
                  You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Under Slung Mini Drone launch's that is about the best idea i have ever had.

Stargate Atlantis Fanatic
                    Replicator wana be

Comment

It wouldn't be that hard to retro fit the weapons with the grenade launch's but controling them might be difficult it really dose depend on the size of ancient nural interface.

Stargate Atlantis Fanatic
                      Replicator wana be

Comment

i wouldnt imagine the mini drones coming from a gun but rather just rising off of a belt or something encircling the controller almost acting as a shield and weapon in one. Personally my weapon of choice would be the Asuran pistol that has a stun and kill setting.
                        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

My personal choice for a close range weapon would be the Goa'uld hand device, just so long as I have some symbiote Naquadah waste in my system.

For mid to long range I'd take an assault rifle from Earth maybe made with stronger and lighter materials that we've gained via travel through the gate.

I'm tired...

Comment

Ronon's weapon over a projectile weapon any day of the week.

Only need to look at 'Vengeance' to see how much trouble the P-90 had, compared to the energy pistol.

In 'Duet', we saw what Ronon did with the P-90 to target, then a single shot with his own weapon!

On top of that, it can also stun an enemy, something which a main or back-up projectile weapon cannot do!

On top of that, comes the added ability of having far greater range of ammo & stopping power. You only need to look at 'The Defiant One', 'Aurora', 'Sateda', 'Submersion'.

Then recently in 'Harmony':

TORAN: You're surrounded! You have limited ammunition and I have unlimited men.
                            There are times when projectile weapons could be used instead though. Say with a silencer if you need absolute stealth on a mission. You couldn't do that with Ronon's gun because of the red flash & hum it makes everytime it fires. The other one is for long range when a sniper rifle is needed.

So there are times for both kinds, but if you were off-world & not knowing what's coming ahead or are gonna be doing a lot of shooting, then an energy weapon is the only way to go. Would probably be far better if the 'Travelers' could make an energy rifle version of their pistol!

Comment

Originally posted by Mefusta View Post
                              With no clear winner, let's just stick with plasma-based weapons! Some refinement with a little of that Asgard magic, and you've got yourself a weapon that has the best aspects of projectile and energy weapons in a single, handy package.

Behold, the future of plasma:

Spoiler:
                              Plasma weapons are more rugged than their far more fragile laser weapon counterparts and would be ideal for use in heavy combat. The easiest way to explain how a plasma weapon works is as follows:

* Refined weapon grade fuel (usually hydrogen) is siphoned off from a 'magazine' or reservoir and injected into a containment vessel that is protected internally by very intense magnetic fields which will keep the hydrogen / fuel from actually coming into contact with the material surface of the containment vessel. This containment vessel is often referred to as a magnetic bottle. Later generations of plasma based weapons feature layered magnetic fields, in effect, magnetic sheathes.

* A high energy laser (or group of high energy lasers) flash boils the refined weapons grade hydrogen fuel contained in the magnetic bottle until it turns from a cool liquid to a superhot gas plasma (+4500 degrees flow wash temp). The magnetic fields of the containment bottle keep this process in check by preventing the superhot plasma from coming into contact with any material surface. A small part of the plasma production process can be siphoned off again as energy to help maintain the magnetic containment fields. Later designs of plasma weapons utilize layered magnetic fields in a sheath instead of just a single monofield application.

* One part of the containment field is weakened or lowered in the magnetic bottle, allowing the super hot ionized plasma gas to 'escape' or be handed off through a rapidly cycling sphincter type array that controls both the length and diameter of the bolt. The "escape" or hand-off of the plasma is induced mostly by the accelerator coil ladder field extending partially into the magnetic bottle to siphon off plasma. The acceleration coil ladder seamlessly merges the siphoned off plasma into a secondary acceleration sheath, a small magnetic pocket within the acceleration coil ladder assembly.

* The acceleration coil ladder then energizes each linear velocity coil in a rapid, stepped manner. Each coil along the ladder stack pulls the magnetically sheathed plasma towards it, faster than the last coil but slower than the next so that an effect of constant acceleration is produced along the length of the acceleration coil ladder through a consistent hand-off method. At the end of the acceleration coil ladder, the magnetically sheathed plasma is released toward the target.

* As soon as the plasma sheath leaves the confines of the acceleration field array, the magnetic sheath begins to rapidly decay, allowing the plasma to "bloom" or rapidly disperse in the ambient atmosphere (which reduces both its power and effect. The speed of the plasma bolt can be tailored to the decay of the magnetic sheath giving the arrival on target of the plasma bolt at being before the decay of the magnetic sheath allows for the plasma to fully bloom and dissipate. Slower velocity bolts have shorter ranges. Higher velocity bolts have longer ranges.

* By rapidly cycling the loading / ignition / release sequence, rapid fire shots akin to that of a machine gun could be simulated. Weapon heating would be handled by the design itself and partially alleviated by the containment fields.

* Range of the weapon would be determined by the rate of expansion (bloom) of the bolt. This would be controlled in turn by the velocity of the bolt. The faster the velocity, the farther the bolt will travel before it starts to lose temperature, cohesiveness, becomes unstable and finally dissipate. The bolt will lose both velocity and penetration power with an increase in range.

* The plasma bolt will suffer integrity degradation as it passes through lesser materials, eventually losing power through absorption attrition.

* The superheated plasma bolt would inflict damage from high velocity / kinetic impact of the plasma, from the high temperature thermal dynamics of the ionized gas, and if delivered in suitable quantity, it would also 'splatter', producing fragment-like damage to nearby surfaces and wounding or damaging targets surrounding the primary target.

* Superheating of standing liquid trapped in soft tissues and dermal surfaces combined with the rapid expansion of steam induced shock waves would result in massive damage to organic targets through large scale steam explosions.

* Wounds from plasma weapons would be akin to severe burns with most organic material of the primary wound site being vaporized. Fluids would flash to steam, organic material would turn to ash and most direct hit plasma wounds would be fatal in nature. Effects from the "splash" of a plasma weapon would consist of severe burns that might be capable of "burn through" of soft targets. Regardless, wounds received from plasma based weapons would take a long time to heal and require massive amounts of attention. Near misses might produce severe burns and heat trauma while fragments from large diameter bore weapons might be crippling or lethal with splash-like side effects. The explosive decoupling of large amounts of free standing matter (ground, terrain, armor plate, etc.) would also produce high speed lethal fragmentation in a large area around the point of impact.

* Damage to inorganic materials would be limited to the ability of the plasma bolt to punch / melt through the target material. Residual heat soak would permeate most materials for some time afterwards until the affected surfaces could once again fall to ambient temperatures through natural cooling and heat loss. fragmentation in a large area around the point of impact.

Order in the next 15 minutes to receive a bonus Plasma Inc. duffel bag containing free assorted air fresheners, guaranteed to clear your house of burned cat-hair smell in the event of accidental rifle discharge in proximity of pets.
                              Original Source:

2029AD

Comment

Working...
                              X