This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A plea to the writers

C'mon writers, just bring Beckett back. He was one of the best characters on Atlantis and it was a stupid mistake to write him out. So just bring him back to season five as a full-time doc again and maybe we'll forgive you.

And stop writing Sam as Weir. And stop introducing new characters to replace old ones just because you can't think of where to go with them. Think of something, or hire more writers, and stop re-using SG-1 stories. I've been looking through the various seasons of Atlantis and have seen just how many episodes could have been written as SG-1 episodes, and a lot have already been done on SG-1. And another thing, what the hell did you do to Michael?! He was an ace character before you guys turned him into Dr Evil!! What the hell was that about?

I honestly think that its an insult that you've tried to make Atlantis 'darker' by making it a bit more violent, and tried to explore new depths of scifi by destroying characters who actually had character development at one point by having them 'run around an underground lair with an evil army of bugs'. I was chatting to a friend before about how SGA comes across as being the holder of all of SG-1's rejected storylines. Surely you can see that.

So this a plea from me to you, please please please surprise us with season five. Make it far better than the rest, make it different and stunning and add something that will make us all go 'THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE...!' in every episode. It is possible. Stop making it like SG-1 by adding old foes (replicators) and bringing in people from Earth to spice it up a little bit (Sam). Take it into a different direction, you've experimented with gate travel on SG-1...We already know that the stargate can take people to other worlds....Just try something new is all I'm asking.

Is that seriously too much to ask? I've been watching Stargate for ten years, but when I see what direction you've taken Atlantis in - I'm beginning to wonder why I've been so patient. I know, I know, people prefer SG-1 to Atlantis....But slowly transforming Atlantis into SG-1 isn't the way out. Its called laziness.

Just try a new approach.

Please?

If any of the stargate writers actually got around to reading this, thanks much.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Anti thread retread, move along.

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
      C'mon writers, just bring Beckett back. He was one of the best characters on Atlantis and it was a stupid mistake to write him out. So just bring him back to season five as a full-time doc again and maybe we'll forgive you.

And stop writing Sam as Weir. And stop introducing new characters to replace old ones just because you can't think of where to go with them. Think of something, or hire more writers, and stop re-using SG-1 stories. I've been looking through the various seasons of Atlantis and have seen just how many episodes could have been written as SG-1 episodes, and a lot have already been done on SG-1. And another thing, what the hell did you do to Michael?! He was an ace character before you guys turned him into Dr Evil!! What the hell was that about?

I honestly think that its an insult that you've tried to make Atlantis 'darker' by making it a bit more violent, and tried to explore new depths of scifi by destroying characters who actually had character development at one point by having them 'run around an underground lair with an evil army of bugs'. I was chatting to a friend before about how SGA comes across as being the holder of all of SG-1's rejected storylines. Surely you can see that.

So this a plea from me to you, please please please surprise us with season five. Make it far better than the rest, make it different and stunning and add something that will make us all go 'THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE...!' in every episode. It is possible. Stop making it like SG-1 by adding old foes (replicators) and bringing in people from Earth to spice it up a little bit (Sam). Take it into a different direction, you've experimented with gate travel on SG-1...We already know that the stargate can take people to other worlds....Just try something new is all I'm asking.

Is that seriously too much to ask? I've been watching Stargate for ten years, but when I see what direction you've taken Atlantis in - I'm beginning to wonder why I've been so patient. I know, I know, people prefer SG-1 to Atlantis....But slowly transforming Atlantis into SG-1 isn't the way out. Its called laziness.

Just try a new approach.

Please?

If any of the stargate writers actually got around to reading this, thanks much.
      Clears throat. Umm.... Mapp, they are doing most of it, and not doing some of the bad you mentioned, or those things are matters of personal opinion. Agree with you on the Reps though.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
        LMAO so true
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*Clears throat.*

Ahem............dear writers..........Please ignore everything mapp said. Atlantis is awesome.........nuff said.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*Clears throat.*

Ahem............dear writers..........Please ignore everything mapp said. Atlantis is awesome.........nuff said.
            Great! We have support!

Comment

Ok.

Comment

I disagree. Beckett becoming full time caused the problem to begin with. He was in way too many eps. Bringing him back full time won't happen but he will likely be back as a recurring character.

And stop writing Sam as Weir. And stop introducing new characters to replace old ones just because you can't think of where to go with them.
                They havent done that. Carter has not been written as Weir IMO.

Think of something, or hire more writers, and stop re-using SG-1 stories. I've been looking through the various seasons of Atlantis and have seen just how many episodes could have been written as SG-1 episodes, and a lot have already been done on SG-1.
                I disagree. Some stories are similar but not carbon copies.

And another thing, what the hell did you do to Michael?! He was an ace character before you guys turned him into Dr Evil!! What the hell was that about?
                What? I'm sorry I don't see the comparison.

No I don't see it.

THey already are doing that. They have not turned this into SG-1.

Just try a new approach.

Please?

I disagree. <snip....folks this is a DISCUSSION thread, so discuss and respect those that want to discuss>
                Last edited by Skydiver; 04 February 2008, 12:29 PM.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I think you may be getting your wish, though I have no idea how things will play out.

And stop writing Sam as Weir.
                  Sam won't be commander of Atlantis anymore in s5, so no worries there.

And stop introducing new characters to replace old ones just because you can't think of where to go with them. Think of something, or hire more writers, and stop re-using SG-1 stories.
                  Plenty of replacements next season, huh?
                  Spoiler:
                  A new commander to replace Carter, a new team member to replace Teyla (if only temporarily), hell even Keller may be replaced later in s5 or even in s6 (if the show is so lucky to get renewed) if Carson comes back.
                  I'm sure TPTB are trying to stay "fresh!" or trying to appeal to viewers with crappy attention spans or scrambling to replace cast members who are occupied in real life. It doesn't add to the solidarity to the show, nor does it help the cast gel, something that TPTB were complaining about at the end of s3.

I honestly think that its an insult that you've tried to make Atlantis 'darker' by making it a bit more violent, and tried to explore new depths of scifi by destroying characters who actually had character development at one point by having them 'run around an underground lair with an evil army of bugs'.
                  Eh, I can't see SGA as truly darker when TPTB press the Big Reset button when the credits roll. Shep went dark in MC, no mention of it since. Weir was lost to the replicators, no mention of her since. Rodney nearly had Katie die on him and then they broke up, no mention of either since. Ronon had his friends turn on him, no mention of that since. Pattern?

Nope, no anti or pro threads allowed in the s5 subforum. All threads are now open for all sides. So you could actually, you know, rebut or discuss Mapp's statements and add something to the dialog. Or you could just make petulant comments that add nothing.

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  I disagree. There already is an anti thread so take this there.
                  There is no anti-s5 thread. The mods made it clear that there would be no new anti or pro thread to encourage everyone to get along. You're doing a great job of it, too, trying to dictate who can post where.

Comment

I disagree. Beckett becoming full time caused the problem to begin with. He was in way too many eps. Bringing him back full time won't happen but he will likely be back as a recurring character.
                    How is him being full time the problem to begin with?

And why was he in 'way too many eps'? If I'm correct he wasn't in all of them in both season 2 or 3.

IMHO Keller's in too many episodes this season.

Comment

Just try a new approach.

Please?

Would have to agree!

There is no anti thread! This is also a thread about the writing...which I agree is way under par.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*Clears throat.*

Yep, ignore everything that many fans have been screaming about and watch season 6 get non renewed!

There already is an anti thread so take this there.
                      Beckett was added on as a regular in season 2 and had a very good arc going till they toasted him with an exploding piece of fat.

Adding Beckett WAS NOT a problem and never should be considered one. He was valuable to the wraith story arc and truly needed in the Micheal arc.

The only reason he was let go was to boost ratings and send the fans into a frenzy.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post

Plenty of replacements next season, huh?
                      Spoiler:
                      A new commander to replace Carter, a new team member to replace Teyla (if only temporarily), hell even Keller may be replaced later in s5 or even in s6 (if the show is so lucky to get renewed) if Carson comes back.
                      I'm sure TPTB are trying to stay "fresh!" or trying to appeal to viewers with crappy attention spans or scrambling to replace cast members who are occupied in real life. It doesn't add to the solidarity to the show, nor does it help the cast gel, something that TPTB were complaining about at the end of s3.

Eh, I can't see SGA as truly darker when TPTB press the Big Reset button when the credits roll. Shep went dark in MC, no mention of it since. Weir was lost to the replicators, no mention of her since. Rodney nearly had Katie die on him and then they broke up, no mention of either since. Ronon had his friends turn on him, no mention of that since. Pattern?

Nope, no anti or pro threads allowed in the s5 subforum. All threads are now open for all sides. So you could actually, you know, rebut or discuss Mapp's statements and add something to the dialog. Or you could just make petulant comments that add nothing.

There is no anti-s5 thread. The mods made it clear that there would be no new anti or pro thread to encourage everyone to get along.
                      Totally agree!

The lack of reaction to the initial action is just so stupefying. Now consequences, no guilt, no real real problem solving to the issues the show brings before it's own arc...not to mention lack of an arc.

No real direction to the show, no real climax or goals set for the show. Nothing!

Rehashing of old scripts, rehashing of scripts that didn't work well the first time. Introductions of more enemies with no real reason as to why this person is an enemy.

The scripts heavily rely on alien technology or what I call "The Genie in a bottle" effect to "Magically" or in SGA's case...'Have McKay" press a bunch of buttons and "poof" its fixed!

Look at that...McKay is a Genie.
                      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                        Yep, ignore everything that many fans have been screaming about and watch season 6 get non renewed!
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

And why was he in 'way too many eps'? If I'm correct he wasn't in all of them in both season 2 or 3.

Carson was poorly utilized, but definitely not given too much screentime as far as I'm concerned. As that is a problem with the writing, you would think the solution would be to be more creative.

Would green you if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

In season one he was in 13/20 eps. 12/20 in season 2, and 13 in season 3. Way too many IMO as many he did not need to be in.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

The replacements for next season is out of necessity, not choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X