PDA

View Full Version : New Commander for Season 5

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

timtonruben359
February 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well JM has confirmed that Carter will be a guest star and there will be a new base commander:

Still, Carter will be one of a number of familiar faces that will be popping up in the Pegasus Galaxy in season 5 - including a new commander. Remember way back, when I said we had considered a handful of possible candidates for the command position at the beginning of season 4? Well this person made that short list then, and we’re VERY excited about his/her/its(?) addition to our cast of regulars. As for who it is and what other little surprises we have in store…head on over to the SciFi site Monday morning and start refreshing.

Any ideas????

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Blimey. Well, I'm still surprised it's not Carter but I guess that's with AT's commitment elsewhere.

I think it'll be Ellis, he's had a couple of scenes in 4 that make me think they were setting up potential conflict, like his attitude towards McKay, or on the other hand his friendlyness with Sheppard.

Jenner8675309
February 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hmmmmm, maybe the IOC clamps down and we get Woolsey :D

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM
Sounds like it will be an existing character, and not a new character which is what I was hoping for if Carter wasn't going to stay. :( :(

I hope that it's not:

1) Sheppard
2) Landry
3) Caldwell

Please please please let it not be any of those three. I don't think I'd like Ellis either, really. I don't know him well enough though.

With Carter and Weir both out of the running, I honestly can't think of a single existing character in the Stargate universe that I'd want running Atlantis.

No wait, there is one, but it'll never happen. :S General Hammond.

Jenner8675309
February 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
OH MAN! Hammond returning, while most likely so not gonna happen, would be freaking awesome in my book!!!!

Gate-builder
February 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Wish it would be O'neill but that probably won't hapen

Greg
Its going to be a Wraith

Uber
Hmm...it'd be neat if it were a woman.

You know, it'd also be really neat if this new leader was extremely antagonistic to the team. They'd still have to save the galaxy...but they have a pain in the mik'ta for a CO. That'd make for some great drama and humor even.

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
3) Caldwell

At one point I would have bet on him, I remember reading that Caldwell was written to be the kind of tension and confrontation that the network wanted between Wier and John originally, but he's hardly been in it lately so I doubt it now.

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Man, I'd love it if it were Caldwell.

Lythisrose
February 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM
I kind of hope it's either Caldwell or Ellis, they already have established relationships and tensions with the Atlantis crew that can be expanded on and I bet there would be fireworks aplenty.:)

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
At one point I would have bet on him, I remember reading that Caldwell was written to be the kind of tension and confrontation that the network wanted between Wier and John originally, but he's hardly been in it lately so I doubt it now.

I don't really want it to be him. I know a lot of people are hoping for that, and I'm sorry to be the voice of negativity, but I've never been as fond of Caldwell as a lot of people are. I like him just fine as a recurring character, seeing him two/three times a year. I don't want to see him more than that.

Landry - I'm sorry. I can't stand Landry for the most part. He had a few good moments on SG-1, but mostly, no. *shudders*

Sheppard - as much as I liked having Shep as military commander when Weir was leading, I don't want him as the top boss. I like Shep in the field, in the middle of the action, not tied to the base.

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
but I've never been as fond of Caldwell as a lot of people are. I like him just fine as a recurring character, seeing him two/three times a year. I don't want to see him more than that.

Well I think he's at his best flying around blowing bad guys up, I know I'd rather be doing that then running a city :)

Darren
February 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hammond would be awesome.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's Woolsey, which might also be a great addition. They'd have to write him as a little tougher than his over-reactions in "The Seer," though.

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Hmmmmm, maybe the IOC clamps down and we get Woolsey :D

Oh YEAH!! I'd love that! :D

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Urggh. Woolsey? Seriously? You really think they'd do that as a long-term thing? *blinks*

LOL - wow. If true, Shep and co. are going to be spending most of S5 planning their hostile takeover. :D

Ruined_puzzle
February 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Woolsey or Cadwell.

Skydiver
February 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM
a female would be good, but seriously, the realiy of 3 female commanders in a row????

not in this world

how about Dave Dixon???? leader of sg-13.

although, since they are adding this captain alison porter, she could take caldwell's place on the daedy.

i'm not too fond of ellis as the city's commander just cause he's so antagonistic.

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM

That would be seriously awesome, but won't happen since Adam Baldwin is starring on Chuck right now. Unfortunately. Well, for Atlantis, not for Chuck.

RepliCartertje
February 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM
I am very doubtfull it will be a woman, I mean they have had issues writing women so I don't think it will be a woman, would be cool though but then they could have kept Sam in, I mean I know she has Sanctuary now to focus on but if she is in a few eps she could have still be the commander.
But with the new commander I hope it isn't Sheppard or Caldwell.
I really would love Hammond or Lorne. Of course Lorne will not be it, but it would be awesome to see him in command.

I must say Hammond will fit in there for sure, lets hope it is him :D

But it also could just be someone totally new, or maybe Ellis :eek:

Uber
February 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Oh YEAH!! I'd love that! :DI agree...and it'd be fantastic development for Woolsey as well as creating a lot of frustration and tension for our team. Consider Shep's position...with Elizabeth and Sam, he had fairly receptive leadership. But that's not necessarily always the case.

*thinks of General Bauer* :S

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
That would be seriously awesome, but won't happen since Adam Baldwin is starring on Chuck right now. Unfortunately. Well, for Atlantis, not for Chuck.

He could swap that for spending all day staring AT Chuck in the Atlantis gate room. ho ho!

(sorry :( )

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Well...I like Woolsey mainly because Robert Picardo is one of the best out there. ;)

ToasterOnFire
February 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Yep, I knew it was unrealistic for Carter to stay commander if she was only in "several" episodes next season. So she'll be out of the main credits and the Weir replacement runner-up will be in.

I'm very confident that the new commander will be a woman.

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 08:20 PM
a female would be good, but seriously, the realiy of 3 female commanders in a row????

not in this world

although, since they are adding this captain alison porter, she could take caldwell's place on the daedy.

i'm not too fond of ellis as the city's commander just cause he's so antagonistic.

A captain commanding a ship? Nope. She'll be a recurring or maybe even regular character, in the city...
And I'd like Caldwell because he was, at first, sort of like Ellis, in his relationship with Shep and Co., but he's grown to appreciate the team's efforts.

Michelle05
February 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
My guess is Woolsey too. The writers really like Robert, and it makes sense the IOA would try to take over. I think Joe F will finally get the internal conflict he couldn't find between Sheppard and Carter! Could be really good and interesting, but internal politics gets boring if over done, so it can't be the central theme, imo.

kir_fect
February 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hammond would be awesome.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's Woolsey, which might also be a great addition. They'd have to write him as a little tougher than his over-reactions in "The Seer," though.

I am leaning toward Woolsey. but I am willing to take that bet one quick question is that American Dollars and American donuts???

Skydiver
damn.

he was good.

i dunno if i can tolerate woolsey full time. they've written him too 'arrogant civilian that finds otu that he's wrong' too many times, so he'll need to change.

course, if it's ellis, he'll need to take come lithium and pull the stick out of his tush.

caldwell would be the best of those three.

ooh, how about reynolds????

i could deal with reynolds

RepliCartertje
*thinks of General Bauer* :S
OMG über noooooo!!! don't even think about Bauer all of the planets will be bombarded with Naquada then :eek:

I think it will be somehting we will suspect the least honestly... or maybe just someone who is to obvious :p

ETA: how about Agent Barett????

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm very confident that the new commander will be a woman.

But who? Joe said that it was a "familiar face". The Stargate universe has a shortage of existing female characters who could fill this role.

Actually, I think maybe it won't be, and I think that's why the new Captain character is being brought in, so the cast won't feel so unbalanced once Carter leaves. Otherwise Teyla (and Keller, depending on how much she's there-she might leave eventually also if Beckett comes back) might end up being the only woman on the cast.

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
What about Paul Davis? Just say he's been promoted to colonel since last we saw him. I kinda liked him...

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
damn.

he was good.

Adam Baldwin is great - it would be "awesome" if he could do it. ;)

EDIT: For those who don't know, there's a character on Chuck that says "Awesome" all the time. :)

i dunno if i can tolerate woolsey full time. they've written him too 'arrogant civilian that finds otu that he's wrong' too many times, so he'll need to change.

The guy doesn't have much of a spine-it's hard to picture him as leader.

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
What about Paul Davis? Just say he's been promoted to colonel since last we saw him. I kinda liked him...

Oh! Now there's an idea! I always liked Paul. :) I doubt it would be him, but that's better than some other options. ;)

LaCroix
February 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking Shep, Hammond or someone out of the blue like Jack.

Skydiver
February 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Lorne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he is SOOOOO over due for something /
i wish, but that won't happen

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well, it would be a bit weird for a Major to take command over Shep...But I wouldn't mind John taking over command and Lorne replacing him within the team...:p

Uber
February 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM
OMG über noooooo!!! don't even think about Bauer all of the planets will be bombarded with Naquada then :eek:

I think it will be somehting we will suspect the least honestly... or maybe just someone who is to obvious :p

ETA: how about Agent Barett????LOL! NO!!!

I didn't mean that General Bauer should take command...I mean sometimes you're stuck with a CO or boss you don't see eye to eye with...AT ALL. Like with General Bauer.

As for Barrett? I don't think so. I can't imagine what kind of storyline logic would put him in the leadership role nor do I think he's even remotely qualified to handle it.

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 08:37 PM

course, if it's ellis, he'll need to take come lithium and pull the stick out of his tush.

caldwell would be the best of those three.

I think providing they write him a bit more well rounded, woolsey would work, Picardo can certainly carry a big position, he was a highlight of Star Trek Voyager and often featured prominently.

Caldwell would be my personal choice though.. anyone noticed the guys most people are speculating about are all bald? It sort of goes with JM's comment about how Wier was originally meant to be a Hammond-like role.. in a very superficial way at least :P

ToasterOnFire
February 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
But who? Joe said that it was a "familiar face". The Stargate universe has a shortage of existing female characters who could fill this role.
Hmm...good question. Time to make a list. :D

I'd prefer that the replacement was not originally on SG1 - I'd much rather see someone unique to the SGA universe.

And Joe M said that the person was a runner-up for replacing Weir in s4 so I doubt it was/is Caldwell. Mitch had outside acting commitments during s4 and therefore would likely not have been in the running to replace Weir.

Agent_Dark
February 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM

uh no, not if she's a captain (unless she's navy or coast guard, but then you can't be a captain at age 28).

toomanysides
February 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
All a sudden I'm not really looking forward to S5. I don't think SGA has given her enough presence to leave SGC :(

I'm just wondering how the transfer of power will happen... please not 'SG-1 and Earth needs her' or worse 'Jack needs her' :P .

After Cater pretty much upstaged Woolsey can you really make him leader?

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
And Joe M said that the person was a runner-up for replacing Weir in s4 so I doubt it was/is Caldwell. Mitch had outside acting commitments during s4 and therefore would likely not have been in the running to replace Weir.

That's an interesting point.

If I recall correctly, he said that there were four candidates that they looked at? Or maybe four other candidates.

Although...maybe Caldwell was a candidate and his other commitments were one of the things that eliminated him from the running back then.

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM

If I recall correctly, he said that there were four candidates that they looked at? Or maybe four other candidates.

Although...maybe Caldwell was a candidate and his other commitments were one of the things that eliminated him from the running back then.

I remember it being four aswell, and he said he wouldn't say who it was out of respect for the ones they didn't pick. It's hard to guess really. At that time SG-1 was just over so could one have been Daniel? Ellis had only been in First Strike too... so maybe that discounts him somewhat.

Skydiver
February 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Well, it would be a bit weird for a Major to take command over Shep...But I wouldn't mind John taking over command and Lorne replacing him within the team...:p
that, theoretically, could work.

but lorne won't lead shep. that whole pesky rank thing

general jack - unlikely that rick will do it
general hamond - like they said, don has retired
general bauer - bad character
woolsey - a possibility, but he's been the 'arrogant buffoon that learns he's wrong' too many times to have any credibility with me
colonel dixon - actor is on Chuck
colonel reynolds - unknown
colonel makepeace - a traitor at the least, dead at the worst
colonel edwards (enemy mine) a graduate of the custer school of military tactics (screw the natives, let's get us our naqahdah), not a good character
colonel ellis - too adversarial and arrogant.
colonel caldwell - a possibility
colonel..russian guy, gary chalk - well i think he blew up in season 9 or 10 or hte Korlev

females????

beyond sam and weir, teyla, vala and janet, there are no good females that are even close to taking over the city. that's why i think it'll be a man and whomever said that capt porter was to balance out the ratio was right. she's being added just to keep it from being a male dominated show

the new boss will be a man.

JohnRico
February 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Daniel Jackson ? But then again Jack would rather Command Atlantis himself then let Daniel leave the Milky Way.

Ganthet Jr.
February 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
I don't think it will be anyone from SGA. I think it'll be someone who guest starred a few times in SG-1, someone who the fans will recognize, but will be a fresh face to the casual viewer who flips channels and goes "Oh hey, Stargate! Let's watch that!".

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
beyond sam and weir, teyla, vala and janet, there are no good females that are even close to taking over the city. that's why i think it'll be a man and whomever said that capt porter was to balance out the ratio was right. she's being added just to keep it from being a male dominated show

That was me, and yes, I think so. I'm not sure why else they would add her.

I guess they might make her team leader, and move Shep to commanding? I hope not though. :(

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
colonel..russian guy, gary chalk - well i think he blew up in season 9 or 10 or hte Korlev

Now that would be interesting and bold, it is meant to be an international expedition after all. But yeah, as far as I remember he was last seen on the bridge of Korelov. Colonel Checkov was his name I think.

RepliCartertje
February 1st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Daniel Jackson ? But then again Jack would rather Command Atlantis himself then let Daniel leave the Milky Way.

I don't think it will be Daniel, he is not really a leader eh, more a team-player and a linguist and stuff. I am not sure he could lead honestly... I don't think he could delegate and all. not to mention he hasn't any experience. I don't think the IOA will trust him, or that the military will accept that.

JohnRico
February 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM
John Hammond would be a dream come true as Commander of Atlantis but alas Don Davis is retired. I would think it would be someone that defended SG-1 all of the times that Kinsey tried to shut down the SGC ?

JohnRico
February 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
How about

Wait for it

Bra'Tec

I know this is a random choice

;)

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Now that would be interesting and bold, it is meant to be an international expedition after all. But yeah, as far as I remember he was last seen on the bridge of Korelov. Colonel Checkov was his name I think.

Yeah...I'm sure pieces of him are still floating around the Supergate...

ToasterOnFire
February 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
I'm just wondering how the transfer of power will happen... please not 'SG-1 and Earth needs her' or worse 'Jack needs her' :P .
Seconded. If she steps down to be with Jack I will gag to the point of risking death.

True. I think Mitch rocks and has one hell of a leadership presence, so I'd be quite happy with his appointment.

I remember it being four aswell, and he said he wouldn't say who it was out of respect for the ones they didn't pick. It's hard to guess really. At that time SG-1 was just over so could one have been Daniel?
Oh no. Hell no. I'll be very bummed if some tertiary SG1 character gets the command chair, but I'll be strapping on my water skis if any of the main SG1 cast get the spot. One time was enough, thankyouverymuch. :mckay:

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
How about

Wait for it

Bra'Tec

I know this is a random choice

;)

Yes, random to say the least...

Uber
February 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM
You know what would be hilarious?

Jessica Steen. What if they hire Jessica Steen and she plays the new leader...except in a completely different role.

LOL

Killdeer
hey it could be Cam Mitchell ;)

You know, I thought of that, but two things:

1) I think JM already said that Mitchell would not appear in S5, and

2) Mitchell's more of the action hero type character, like Shep. It's rather hard to picture him in a desk job. :S

Amalthea
Well, Robert Picardo is a brilliant actor, so really, Atlantis could do a LOT worse in terms of quality if it turns out to be him. Check out "Innerspace" if you want to see him in a 1987 movie with Martin Short, Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid for a really good laugh.

Anyway, back to business. I am going to go out on a limb here and say Sam's replacement is Thor based on the "it" in the blog. I still believe that somehow in "Continuum" they manage to save the Asgard. I am aware that it is likely an irrational hope, but it's my hope never the less.

Moving forward... if they got Jack back I'd freak. Daniel would also be impressive. Or Hammond! Landry would be ok too. I can't think of anyone else who would really be acceptable from SGA or SG1s past. Of course that's why I'm not in charge of things. :)

For when they write off Carter... let us all hope it's some sort of cliffhanger that leads to a third movie for SG1! It's the power of positive thinking, people! :)

Skydiver
February 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
the only female actor i can think of that's not currently involved with the show that could be a 'familiar face' would be jessica steen

recast the original weir as someone new

familiar face, new character. ;)

oh, and thanks for hte name, colonel chekhov

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
:lol:
Ronon Kree !!!!!!

i would die laughing

Uber
February 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
the only female actor i can think of that's not currently involved with the show that could be a 'familiar face' would be jessica steen

oh, and thanks for hte name, colonel chekhovAHAHAHAHA

GMTA Skydiver. :)

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
True. I think Mitch rocks and has one hell of a leadership presence, so I'd be quite happy with his appointment.

Well, as I've said, I'm not the fan of Caldwell that a lot of people are - maybe it's because I don't have the X-Files background for the actor. I'd have a hard time with him in the role, but....we'll see. I guess it's not the worst thing that could happen. *trying to embrace positivity* :S

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Well, as I've said, I'm not the fan of Caldwell that a lot of people are - maybe it's because I don't have the X-Files background for the actor. I'd have a hard time with him in the role, but....we'll see. I guess it's not the worst thing that could happen. *trying to embrace positivity* :S

You're probably safe for that reason- there is an X-Files film in production right now (which he presumebly is in) and would probably intefere with S5 filming to much.

Amaunet
February 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
When he mentioned “it” Todd popped into my mind, though I definitely don’t think it will be Todd..
I thought that it could possibly be Daniel, but i don't think that he would make a good leader, though he is the foremost expert on the ancients in the Milky Way

I think it will be too..

Spooks99
February 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
My first thought was Daniel--he's the closest to Weir of all the other possible candidates I can think of--but I agree that it would be a stretch to have him in a leadership role. Although, come to think of it, he has ascended multiple times and is an expert on the Ancients. And his character has gotten a lot tougher over the years. Not to mention his firsthand experience with saving the world. But in the end, I think he'd be too distracted by every pretty shiny artifact or scrap of writing to run the city and make quick command decisions.

My favorite choice for the position would definitely be Jack--I bet Atlantis would be more fun than commanding the SGC, and if Carter were there...well. Plus, his utter lack of diplomacy skills could be really fun to watch. And imagine all the trouble he and Sheppard could get into!

FoolishPleasure
February 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
My personal picks would be either Col. Dixon or Col. Caldwell.

A little Woolsey goes a long way, and since he is another whiner, I couldn't put up with him and Keller. I'd give up this show completely if I had to sit through both of them.

Daniel wouldn't work, IMO. He needs to be out in the field, not playing administrator. It didn't work for Carter. It won't work for Daniel either.

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
The guy doesn't have much of a spine-it's hard to picture him as leader.

EXACTLY. He'll be a puppet of the IOA, which will ensure conflict.

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM

Yeah, but that would get really old, really fast...

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM

Yeeaahhh....but..... I'm all for some conflict, but I want to be able to respect the leader at least. I don't have much respect for Woolsey.

Exactly. It wouldn't be bad as maybe a one shot thing, kinda like General Bauer was (although I don't think Woolsey is as bad as General Bauer). But for a whole season? :S

Also, wasn't part of the big thing with bringing Carter over the militarization factor? They wanted military in charge? Woolsey is definitely not military.

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
i think the big question is the next leader going to be military or civilian

I'm 93.8% sure it'll be military.

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM

Yeah, that's the thing. Going back to a civilian leader would just make people wonder why they got rid of Weir. I think they'll stick with military.

Amalthea
February 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, that's the thing. Going back to a civilian leader would just make people wonder why they got rid of Weir. I think they'll stick with military.

Definitely some sort of military affiliation will be important because of the "Wraith threat" that Earth is all worried about. A couple space vampires suck the life outta a couple people and the whole place go nuts... LOL

JohnRico
February 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
How about that one dude from Lost City that debriefed Hayes on the Stargate Program ? He was awesome sticking up for SG-1 & Teal'C

Amaunet
February 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM

Yep good point, i'd be like taking a step backwards

woudln't have any troulbe with fishing :D

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think it's going to be Caldwell.

Considering some of the choices that have been put forth here :D, I guess it's not such a bad idea, although Caldwell's not a favorite of mine.

I would still have liked Col Dixon - ah well, I still have Casey (Adam Baldwin's character on Chuck). :)

JohnRico
February 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Adam is not even doing Chuck thanks to the strike which is not ending anytime soon. So surely he can do a recurring role if he wanted to.

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM

I disagree. I would very much like an extended antagonistic "storyline" between two characters that stretch throughout a season. Things aren't always peach-keen.

Yeeaahhh....but..... I'm all for some conflict, but I want to be able to respect the leader at least. I don't have much respect for Woolsey.

Chances are, neither will the team. That's what'll make it fun to watch, IMHO.

I, too, would like to respect the leader, but to me, the "leader of the show" will always be the team leader. I respect Sheppard, just as I respected Jack (and to a lesser extent, Cam, as he wasn't exactly THE leader; still liked him though). But then, ever since Star Trek, I've been waiting for a leader who's not the "valiant boss" that we've been getting day-in-and-day-out. I want somebody different, someone who's there not to lead, but with other agendas in mind while he leads.

If it were Woolsey, then this could create a great side-arc for this season. Imagine that the reason Sam is being replaced as leader is because she made a tough decision that, although ended up resolving the situation at the end, created a great danger for Earth, or something (but she had no choice, say), and that the IOA, being the stuff-shirt buffoons that they are, decided to finally cut out the middle man and put in place as leader one of their own. The whole situation will leave a bad taste in the expedition's mouths, and create a lot of facinating conflicts that will be very entertaining to watch...IMHO.

If you want consequences for the team's actions so it's not always a happy-go-lucky trek through the gate, then this is one way to go.

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
You know, I only jokingly suggested Paul Davis, bu I really liked him. I'd love if he somehow at least guest starred in an episode...Maybe an episode that takes place on Earth or something...

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
I disagree. I would very much like an extended antagonistic "storyline" between two characters that stretch throughout a season. Things aren't always peach-keen.

Yeah, but...COME ON! It really gets tiresome.

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM

I agree. :D Although, I gotta say, I'm kinda starting to see PG15's vision too.....

Anyway, now that the civilian vs military angle has been raised, I really don't think they're going to go back to having a civilian leader.

JohnRico
February 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Richard is definitely not a full time character & Commander of Atlantis ? He is a freaking wimp he would be hiding behind McKay & freaking out with McKay the next siege that happens.

Amalthea
February 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Are there any more actors from Farscape to recycle? LOL

Ok, but we have to think about this rationally... an actor/actress that would be willing to set up shop in Vancouver. Possibly one already based out of there? I can't think of any... but then I was supposed to be in bed an hour ago before I found out all this!!

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
I agree. :D Although, I gotta say, I'm kinda starting to see PG15's vision too.....

Anyway, now that the civilian vs military angle has been raised, I really don't think they're going to go back to having a civilian leader.

I also see what he's saying, but, still, this is SGA. It's still an action.adventure sci-fi show. I watch for entertainment and I'm all for conflict, but the whole "hidden agenda/politics getting in the way" gets old REALLY fast. I don't want a season of that. I always hated the Trust episodes on SG-1. I get bored with politics in sci-fi shows. So sue me...

Irish Eyes
February 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
How sure are we that it's not RDA? JM has said they are very excited to get this person and also predicted the announcement would cause a lot of traffic on his blog. Seems to me it's got to be a major character.

Most of the names we've come up with don't make me want to rush over to JM's blog to complain or gush.

So I guess I'm stuck on the idea of RDA, although my choice would have been Hammond if that was possible. (Actually, it would have been Elizabeth at some point down the road, but there's no sense going there.)

JohnRico
February 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Jack Commanding Atlantis would be amazing. Imagine him trying to negotiate with the Genii :)

jenks
February 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
How sure are we that it's not RDA? JM has said they are very excited to get this person and also predicted the announcement would cause a lot of traffic on his blog. Seems to me it's got to be a major character.

Most of the names we've come up with don't make me want to rush over to JM's blog to complain or gush.

So I guess I'm stuck on the idea of RDA, although my choice would have been Hammond if that was possible. (Actually, it would have been Elizabeth at some point down the road, but there's no sense going there.)

I doubt they could afford RDA.

Amaunet
February 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Edit: Jack would be good but i really can't see it happening
Not that this would happen either and TPTB wouldn't even think of this character since its an unrealistic choice but personally i'd like to see what Maybourne would do in that position.

Killdeer
I just can't imagine RDA coming back to the show for this much of a commitment. Plus, wouldn't that be a demotion for Jack, going from Head of Homeworld Security to base commander again?

Professor Chaos
I hope they don't feel compelled to add another female leader just because. My guess is it's going to be an already established character. The most likely I can think of is Caldwell, but i'm not sure I really want him as a leader. Ellis could be good I guess.. O'Neill & Hammond are at the top of my list but it doesn't seem too likely.

Even though I don't think that they'll go out of Atlantis for a character, i'd love to see Daniel. He's overdue for an appearance and I think he'd fit in great. Just imagine his interaction with McKay.:p

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM
I always hated the Trust episodes on SG-1. I get bored with politics in sci-fi shows. So sue me...

It won't be me sueing you....I hated the Trust storyline too. I'd rather leave the politics out as well.

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Are there any more actors from Farscape to recycle? LOL

Not so much for leader, but they should certainly look into getting Wayne Pygram - excellent, excellent villain as Scorpius in Farscape and can handle the alien makeup. Would make one hell of a <insert species here> recurring bad guy. Also plays drums!

JohnRico
February 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Just imagine his interaction with McKay :p

McKay would spend 5 minutes coming up with a solution to a problem & Daniel would already have one & hed just sit there trying to get McKay to hush but we all know how McKay is & eventually Daniel would just give up LOL

Killdeer
February 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Daniel would be....

Honestly, I can't make up my mind what I would think about that. I look at it one way and I think I could never see Daniel in that role, and then I look at it a different way, and I think, maybe...yeah, it's possible.

Daniel IS the only SG-1 character they've been dropping hints about bringing over - on the other hand, I was pretty sure it was just for one episode. So.... I don't think it's going to happen. Plus, Daniel is a civilian as well.

You know, the more we talk about this and the more I think about it, I'm starting to think pretty much the only two people I would have a fit about leading are Landry and Sheppard. Caldwell - I'm getting used to the idea. Same for Woolsey. Neither's ideal, but I think I could deal.

Amalthea
February 1st, 2008, 09:59 PM
What about some of the recurring random officers from SG1? Like what's his name that was introduced the episode where the aliens make holograms out of them? Obviously I forget his name.

Jackie
February 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
The first person that comes to my mind is Daniel. That would also be a possible reason to not announce it till monday...give a few days for the leemings to adjust.

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM
IT'S HERMIOD!!! The little bugger's been hiding aboard the Daedalus ever since he got the "Come home dear, mass suicide tonight" message from his parents.

AutumnDream
February 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Reinstate Weir please. ~_~

I could handle Caldwell. Sheppard would be cool.

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM

No, it isn't. It'll be awesome. :p

I also see what he's saying, but, still, this is SGA. It's still an action.adventure sci-fi show. I watch for entertainment and I'm all for conflict, but the whole "hidden agenda/politics getting in the way" gets old REALLY fast. I don't want a season of that. I always hated the Trust episodes on SG-1. I get bored with politics in sci-fi shows. So sue me...

Perhaps I worded it badly. Forget the "hidden agenda" angle. The agenda is fully opened: the IOA has now a...beachhead at Atlantis, let's say. It will be clear to everyone that they intend to interfere with the goings-ons at the base.

And it won't be political, because the guy playing the "bad guy" in this case will be a character we all know about. In other words, it won't just be a bunch of stuffed-shirts talking down to our heroes, which is the typical politics stuff in Stargate. No, it will be Woolsey, someone who we have a handle on, and someone portrayed by the great Robert Picardo. I didn't like the Trust stuff either, but then, they're always dealing with random bad dudes. That's not fun. But, when you have an established antagonist, the conflict is indeed facinating to watch. Stargate has never had this before, at least not for any extended period of time.

Heaven
February 1st, 2008, 10:18 PM
oh no
please don't let it be Woolsey

you know what would be cool? if they bring an Ancient to lead the expedition

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
No, it isn't. It'll be awesome. :p

Perhaps I worded it badly. Forget the "hidden agenda" angle. The agenda is fully opened: the IOA has now a...beachhead at Atlantis, let's say. It will be clear to everyone that they intend to interfere with the goings-ons at the base.

And it won't be political, because the guy playing the "bad guy" in this case will be a character we all know about. In other words, it won't just be a bunch of stuffed-shirts talking down to our heroes, which is the typical politics stuff in Stargate. No, it will be Woolsey, someone who we have a handle on, and someone portrayed by the great Robert Picardo. I didn't like the Trust stuff either, but then, they're always dealing with random bad dudes. That's not fun. But, when you have an established antagonist, the conflict is indeed facinating to watch. Stargate has never had this before, at least not for any extended period of time.
I disagree, but...to each his own. I don't think that Woolsey being an established, regular character would change too much the fact that it's still damn politics. I mean, how many times could he and Shep go at it in the same manner before it gets boring?
"I want to rescue X"
"No, too dangerous, can't sanction it"

"These people need our help"
"Nope, they're no use to us and it would be an unnecessary risk"

"I want to make love to a beautiful space pirate woman"
"No, space STD's are against regulations"

COME ON!!!!!

Amaunet
February 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
^^^ You make a good point PG-15 but I don’t think people could handle him for an extended period of time. I don't mind the part Woolsey plays, but if he was in too many episodes i'd go nuts..

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 10:26 PM
I disagree, but...to each his own. I don't think that Woolsey being an established, regular character would change too much the fact that it's still damn politics. I mean, how many times could he and Shep go at it in the same manner before it gets boring?
"I want to rescue X"
"No, too dangerous, can't sanction it"

"These people need our help"
"Nope, they're no use to us and it would be an unnecessary risk"

"I want to make love to a beautiful space pirate woman"
"No, space STD's are against regulations"

COME ON!!!!!

Please. Half the fun is in how they'll do those things anyway. :p

Well, whatever. All I want is for some kind of difference with this new commander. I want some more conflict, more disagreements, more of an "oppressed" vibe from the team. If you guys want the same old, same old commander who treat everyone nicely and listen to their suggestions and that whole "everyone is one big happy family" thing, then go ahead. If this comes to pass, I'll watch it with an open mind, just like I always do, instead of anticipation if there was a promise of much-needed conflict.

reddevil18
February 1st, 2008, 10:26 PM
oh no
please don't let it be Woolsey

you know what would be cool? if they bring an Ancient to lead the expedition

Yeah...
I can see it now...

Two random scientists walking down the hallways of Atlantis.
Gary: Hey, what's that?
Barry: What, that CLOSET?
Gary: Yup.
Barry: Never noticed that before. Oh, look, a stasis pod. With a frozen Ancient inside. Good for 11,000 years.
Gary: Get McKay!
McKay: Yes, obviously, the time flux was inadvertently altered when the solar flare struck M3X-776 and caused the Whangels to fly into the event horizon of a black hole, which led to the singularity collapsing and creating this brand new stasis pod.
Ronon:........
Zelenka: Rodney, you can't possibly be serious!
John: Is she hot?
McKay: It's a he.
John: Oh...Alright then, he can be our leader!!!

trupi
February 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
What about Lorne?

sparklegem
February 1st, 2008, 11:25 PM
I would love it to be Caldwell. That would make my day. The other character I would be just as happy with is Daniel, but I really don't see that happening. It would be way too much like rotating SG-1 members in to lead Atlantis.

The one character I would be unhappy to see lead Atlantis is Sheppard.

Now I just need to figure out if I'm going to be seeking out the cast news on Monday or cut myself off from every Stargate-related website until season 5 starts so the new commander will be a surprise to me.

Uncle Tobias
February 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM
I would love it to be Caldwell. That would make my day.

Me too in all honesty. He was my favourite character since s2, but I don't want to get too hopefull. OTOH I'm not sure if I'd enjoy him as much if he was 'grounded' without command of the Daedalus.

I think part of his appeal is, he knows what he's doing with his ship and seems confident and capable in battle. Would that translate well too running Atlantis? I don't know.

Mitchell82
February 1st, 2008, 11:51 PM

An the Orriginal Weir on Atlantis was an imposter?! I like it!

Fenrir Foxz
February 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
An the Original Weir on Atlantis was an imposter?! I like it!

You shouldn't say stuff like that! :P

Could start a war on the forum :D

Platschu
February 2nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
IT'S HERMIOD!!! The little bugger's been hiding aboard the Daedalus ever since he got the "Come home dear, mass suicide tonight" message from his parents.

Here are the short list of candidates:

- Weir : she will have an own Replicator storyline.
- Hermiod or Thor : They died in Unending.
- Woolsey : He is a comedic character, who are not able to make good decisions.
- Jack : He won't return for so many episodes, so he can be only a guest star.
- Daniel : He will be only guest star.
- Caldwell : He could be the best leader of Atlantis, because he wanted this since season 2. :P
- McKay : He also wanted to be commander, but it won't work in character level.
- Ellis : The fand didn't like him so much to be a regular.
- Nancy Sheppard : It would be a great whump for Sheppard. :P
- Baal : A good Goa'uld? Hmmmm.... :P It won't happen, because it seems he will be killed in Continuum.
- Teal'c : He has to re-build the Free Jaffa State, so he won't have time to lead Atlantis.

But it seems that the commander existed at the end of season 3, so my guess that the leader will be Caldwell.

Tal-Galahad
February 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
I don`t think, Woolsey will be the guy commanding Atlantis during season 5. He`s just not the type of leader, tptb choosed during the years before.

He is nothing like Hammond, Jack, Landry, Weir or Sam.

I would love to see Jack as the new commander but that is very unlikely to happen.

Caldwell would be cool, Ellis as well but I don`t think the fandom would be happy with him.

Daniel would be great, no one else from SG1, besides Jack, would fit to Atlantis.

So far I have no Idea, who it`s gonna be. I`m really looking forward to Monday.

Lone Wolf
February 2nd, 2008, 03:36 AM
I have a nasty feeling that this new Alison Porter caracter is gonna take Sheppard`s place and lead the team while Shep will be in charge of Atlantis though I`d hate it if that happened.

Sheppard should definately be the leading man, the action hero, the guy in the field, not behind a desk.

Even though the promotion would theoretically make sense I think it would be bad for the show. It barely worked for O`Neill and it would never work for a guy like Shep or Mitchell.

I think Teal`c would be cool and credible as a commander but it wouldn`t make much sense. In my opinion they shouldn`t have changed Weir in the first place.

I like Caldwell just where he is and I totally dislike Ellis.

Lone Wolf
February 2nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
This just occured to me: What if Alison Porter will take Teyla`s place in Sheppard`s team and Teyla will lead Atlantis.

She was usually the stand-in for Weir and it would make sense to take her off of field-duty with her being a mother now. This would probably not sit well with the IOA though and having Porter in the team might just mak her a female Ford.

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 03:49 AM
Yeah, I mentioned in another thread that I have some fears that Teyla's about to get replaced.

Steve_the_Wraith
February 2nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
I think the new commander is going to be a man and the new character Allison Porter will effectively replace Carter as the female military officer from earth (I know thats horribly cynical but its how tv works...)

Shan Bruce Lee
February 2nd, 2008, 05:13 AM
Sheppard should definately be the leading man, the action hero, the guy in the field, not behind a desk.

That's exactly why it won't be Shep.

I wouldn't mind if it was Caldwell.

Ltcolshepjumper
February 2nd, 2008, 05:27 AM
Well, it must be someone who has been on the show (since this actor/actress was on the short list). It might actually be Woolsey. JoeM has commented time and time again that he is a superb actor. It would make since. Atlantis is an international base controlled by the IOA.I doubt it will be Caldwell (definitely not Ellis). Not Oneill, and probably not landry.

scififreak23
February 2nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
it could be woosley-that would be the most intresting choice.I really enjoy his character so i wouldn't mind seeing him more often.

it also could be daniel jackson-do we know how many episodes he's been confirmed in?

my two other choices that i would really like to see is either jonas quinn or major paul davis.I think both would do a great job at running atlantis.

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
Robert Picardo is an exceptional actor; I will eternally feel as though his was the best character on Star Trek: Voyager, in major part due to the acting prowess involved.

Comedically intended or not, Woolsey as the base's commanding officer would be very interesting, and it'd shed some further importance on his recent assignment to witness operations temporarily. That Carter stepped over him and basically slapped him upside the forehead for his unwarranted attempted command call would add some real tension between he and the cast, were he to take the role in which such a thing would actually have to be obeyed.

immhotep
February 2nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
I think Daniel Jackson makes the best candidate.
Reasons here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=47880

And

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=28319

lostinspace
February 2nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
I too think it's Woolsey. That would add a new element to the show, tightening the IOA's control, esp. on the heels of Weir (civilian diplomat), Carter (military scientist) and Sheppard's alleged MIA status (from The Last Man speculation) and ongoing continuity/tension between Woolsey/IOA and the Atlantis crew. Besides, there's also this spoilery shot (found via the LJ sga_spoilers community):
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/Alipeeps/SGA/SGA_Spoilers/The%20Last%20Man/LastMan-Woolsey.jpg
Let Caldwell and Ellis continue as space ship commanders. In fact, Carter could head up a new "research/war" vessel (if that's even possible in S5, maybe linked to the Travellers). As for the others, bring back Carson, and maybe consider Michael / Todd for recurring!

Robert Picardo is an exceptional actor; I will eternally feel as though his was the best character on Star Trek: Voyager, in major part due to the acting prowess involved.

Comedically intended or not, Woolsey as the base's commanding officer would be very interesting, and it'd shed some further importance on his recent assignment to witness operations temporarily. That Carter stepped over him and basically slapped him upside the forehead for his unwarranted attempted command call would add some real tension between he and the cast, were he to take the role in which such a thing would actually have to be obeyed.

Well, it must be someone who has been on the show (since this actor/actress was on the short list). It might actually be Woolsey. JoeM has commented time and time again that he is a superb actor. It would make since. Atlantis is an international base controlled by the IOA.I doubt it will be Caldwell (definitely not Ellis). Not Oneill, and probably not landry.

True!Ancient
February 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Does anybody know who they said was on the shortlist for atlantis commander before carter got the job?

ykickamoocow
February 2nd, 2008, 06:29 AM
Does anybody know who they said was on the shortlist for atlantis commander before carter got the job?

McKay seemed to believe he would get the job.

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
general bauer - too much of an idiot and likely gone for good
AU Jacob Carter - with continuum it COULD happen, but is very unlikely
major castleman - unlikely just cause he's a bit part
col chekhov - good candidate if he wasn't dead
major coburn - steve bacic is known to the writers but his character hasn't been seen for years
capt connor - hasn't been seen since s2
paul davis - a possibility but i don't think it's likely
dave dixon - my personal fave but if adam baldwin has a job it's unlikely
col edwards - too big of an idiot
joe faxon - again dependant on that whole continuum au bit, but he is civilian and i think it'll be military
feretti - a possibilty even though he hasn't been seen for years
major green - commander of the alpha site - unlikely
major griff - again unlikely, not very well known
hammond - i think unlikely since don has retired
daniel - i don'tthink they'll bring across a civilian
kawalsky - more of that AU thing
general kerrigan - commander of the academy. a possibility but unlikely
landry - a possibility that i wouldn't like
lorne - i'd love it but he's just a major
makepeace - last i knew he was dead/sentenced to death
maybourne - very unlikely
jack - love it but i don't know if rick wants to come
simon - liz's ex - points against him for being a civilian
reynolds - i consider him a likely candidate
ellis - a possibilty but needs to be toned down a LOT. h e's too adversarial
caldwell - probably the easiest fit
samuels - highly unlikley

woolsey...i'd hate it. he's the super wimp that tosses his title around. him being in command would be like rodney being in command. interesting for a bit the so annoying i'd turn off the set

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Wow, Sky, you really carried over with the full list, there. :)

But it looks like the above spoilerrific pic up there is very, very convincing. That's... all I'm gonna say on that one. Wow.

Lord batchi ball
February 2nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
I think it will either be Caldwell or Woosely.

They both are aware of the procedures to run Atlantis and what the job entales.

However I think Caldwell has a better chance than Woosely, well because Woolsey is one of those guys everybody hates, the man that can pull the (money) lever down at any minute.

Now back to Caldwell, my thinking is that sense he has yet to sign on for the new X-files movie that either they don't want him, or he his considering an offer by the Stargate franchise. Thats the way I see it.

SGFerrit
February 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
I too think it's Woolsey. That would add a new element to the show, tightening the IOA's control, esp. on the heels of Weir (civilian diplomat), Carter (military scientist) and Sheppard's alleged MIA status (from The Last Man speculation) and ongoing continuity/tension between Woolsey/IOA and the Atlantis crew. Besides, there's also this spoilery shot (found via the LJ sga_spoilers community):
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/Alipeeps/SGA/SGA_Spoilers/The%20Last%20Man/LastMan-Woolsey.jpg

That is from The Last Man, shot ages ago, before they knew that Carter wouldn't be the Commander in s5.

nobycane
February 2nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Let Caldwell and Ellis continue as space ship commanders. In fact, Carter could head up a new "research/war" vessel (if that's even possible in S5, maybe linked to the Travellers). As for the others, bring back Carson, and maybe consider Michael / Todd for recurring!

In my opinion, I have a list of who is a potential candidate and who isn't:

Possibilities:
- Ellis... he is a cocky military leader with potential leadership, young, risk taker, and has casts his authority over those in his command...runs a tight ship - by the book. Really could shake things up in Atlantis.
- O'Neill...Jack did not really feel comfortable taking over for Hammond in the first place, plus he did not like to see his own team SG1 go out on missions while he was sitting behind a desk. Now that Mitchell oversees SG1, Jack knows the team is in good hands. Not to mention, it gives an oppertunity for Jack to have a new challenge/adventure, and do what ever he wants...mission wise. I can see that the politician side would be boring after awhile. *PLUS, this would give a nice plug for the Stargate: Continuum movie.
- Woolsey...... this is a nice option for the IOA, and just about everyone cannot stand him in the first place. Not to mention over time, he has earned a little respect from SGC, and has began to wise up a little...compassion has finally set in over the years. His character has certainly developed...I can see Tayla being his second in command here.

Not a Possibility:
- Daniel Jackson...... Daniel is too busy dealing with research and findings in his galaxy, while it would seem that Daniel has always wanted to be at Atlantis, the whole AOT movie wraps that storyline up, where there is really no reason for Daniel to be on Atlantis anymore. Not to mention , that Daniel is not a leader......he is a research scientist, archeologist...even if his tenue was on Atlantis - it would be a brief one. Plus, I rememeber reading that MS wanted to spend more time with family -especially after a 10 year run of the series.
- Teal'c.... too busy with the free'd Jaffa nation in straightening that whole mess out.
- Landry... he has too cozy of an assignment with SGC, there would be no reason for him to alter command to SGC-A.
- Hammond....... Davis, retired from acting F/T, for medical reasons.
- McKay..... too indecisive, could not make a strategic decision if he could - even under pressure. He is the main scientist on the base/mission, the Daniel Jackson of SG1....no reason to change his character. Plus, McKay being a leader......he'd get shot by the end of week one!;)
- Tayla...... character has great potential as a diplomat, leadership qualities, but I do not think that SGC and the IOA would place the command of Atlantis under someone that they cannot influence or control. I see her as an assistance (or a #1) to whoever gets command.....especially since she will have her child there on the base. Her mission days will be limited in the coming days.

Wishful Thinking Possibility:
- Mitchell.... being that SG1 is no longer on the air or made (just the movies), it would be nice to transfer the command of SG1 to someone else, and give Mitchell a higher command (especially after SGAOT and SG:C). Bringing back the character is always hopeful...but it may not be possible.

ToasterOnFire
February 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM
woolsey...i'd hate it. he's the super wimp that tosses his title around. him being in command would be like rodney being in command. interesting for a bit the so annoying i'd turn off the set
Yep. I don't like Woolsey and I don't see how he could be convincing as a leader considering TPTB had the SGA characters walk all over him in his last two eps. He's like Kav, every time you see him you know that he's going to complain but be "put in his place" in the end. Conflict? Please, Shep and McKay would just roll their eyes and do what they want to anyway and prove that they were right in the end, much like Weir and Carter did to Woolsey when he was reviewing them. And Woolsey is not military, so Shep is no longer automatically bound to his orders.

I don't want to see some tertiary SG1 character in charge on SGA. Plus, Woolsey is civilian. Didn't TPTB state how great it was to have Carter because she was military and all these fans stated it made more sense to militarize Atlantis in s4? So why would it now be logical to revert Atlantis back to civilian control? It wouldn't.

Caldwell is my preference.

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM
That is from The Last Man, shot ages ago, before they knew that Carter wouldn't be the Commander in s5.

Oh. :)

Ranlier
February 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
They were probably looking at Existing Characters when they decided to remove the civilian leader (Weir).

Caldwell was no doubt on it (would be an interesting dynamic, and we know he wants the job)

I'm positive Sheppard was on it, as Carter said (writers might like what they did with putting O'Neill in charge)

Also possibly Daniel Jackson (the "logical choice" over and above Carter to many)

Also General Landry, since he's kind of unemployed now.

Celtic Wizard
February 2nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Wolsey would be too weak as a leader
Teal'c would not get on with Ronon
Jack is (sorry to say) too old, and it would be a step downwards
AU Wier a possibility but, I don't think the actress want to be full time
Cadwell and Ellis are both ship commanders and it diffficult to leave a job like that.
That Leaves Michael Shanks but like someone says, will they want to go from military to civilian again
What would the IOA want - well I say Bates

Just a guess!!

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
I don't really think Teal'c wouldn't get along with Ronon, as I'd imagine by the end of 'Midway' they're going to be getting along just fine, and I don't think Jack is too old, either, as Hammond was still older than he is now when SG-1 began, and Landry's up there, too, and most military generals are to begin with.

But there are plenty other reasons I don't think Teal'c or Jack would be it, so yeah.

Professor Chaos
February 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
I think you guys are discounting Sheppard too easily. This isn't like SG1 where they go off world every week. Think Sisko in DS9; He commanded the station and took ships out when needed (ship stationed at Atlantis?).

That said, i'm not convinced myself. While i'm certain the writers could make it work I think i'd rather just have a whole new leader.

On a different note, the thought of Teyla leading Atlantis just made me die a little inside.

Leliana McKay
February 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Since everyone is guessing, can I join the fun?

Well, my first thought was Daniel. Because we know he is guest starring in season five and he fits the job. However, I think that would be a waste of his character and Michael Shanks would want something more exciting to do. The same goes for RDA.

So I think it is either Caldwell or Woolsey.
Since the new commander is an addition to the regular cast (Joe Mallozzi's words) it can't be anyone from SGA-1 so I ruled them out.
Woolsey would fit the IOA criteria and Caldwell the military command. I'm not sure I would choose either of them but that's what I think could happen.

I would lean towards Woolsey for political reasons.

Jackie
February 2nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
it could be woosley-that would be the most intresting choice.I really enjoy his character so i wouldn't mind seeing him more often.

it also could be daniel jackson-do we know how many episodes he's been confirmed in?

my two other choices that i would really like to see is either jonas quinn or major paul davis.I think both would do a great job at running atlantis.

We know Daniel is coming to Atlantis for "a stay" as JM put it in his blog. I would put my money on Daniel. If Daniel was only coming for 2 eps...JM would announced it all over the place like they did with Jack.

It's too quiet when it comes to Daniel. JM is deliberately skirting around the character but dropping juicy little hints. I say it's Daniel!:)

It makes perfect sense too...the majority of fans want Daniel on Atlantis. Daniel is more than qualified for the position. Atlantis is a civilian run expedition and with no more Wier and sounds like Teyla may not be back full time too...they still need a negotiator.

Woosley would be an interesting choice but woosley would surely get the city sunk in no time.

caldwell? I believe the actor has another job going and that is the reason for ellis filling in with another super ship.

Ellis...no! If he's placed in charge I will not watch season 5. However I would love to see Daniel tell Ellis where to go.

My prediction is:

Daniel's the new commander of the city.
Sam is called back to Earth for some odd reason--maybe to run the SGC after Landry retired? (There is absolutely no hard god given reason for a base the size of the SGC, in Norad, to be run by a general. A colonel should do just fine. Colonel run airbases too after all. It would give an opportunity to bring Carter in and not have SGC scenes with no commanding officer in them.)
Wier does get a few eps in season 5.
beckett gets a few eps in season 5.
Teyla is leaving the show...will be back as guest spot.
New captian is Teyla's replacement...they are writing Teyla out because her "story arc" takes her to places they don't want to continue writing for IMO.

I haven't bothered to watch the show for nearly a month now and I am just waiting for the carson ep...and to see the cliffhanger. To be honest the only way I would even consider watching season five is if they either brought back Wier and Carson full time or brought in Daniel as a regular:cool:.

Reefgirl
February 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
You're probably safe for that reason- there is an X-Files film in production right now (which he presumebly is in) and would probably intefere with S5 filming to much.

It's pretty much certain that Skinner was killed off in the last episode

rlr149
February 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
maybe walter's been promoted since we saw him last;)

Cautious Explorer
February 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
I think the new commander should be someone unique to SGA. No more SG-1 characters. I would be happy with Caldwell as commander. He's had disagreements in the past with Sheppard and McKay, which keeps things interesting, but there's also been a growing respect among them over the years.

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
I could live with Daniel as leader. I could live with Caldwell-I didn't like the idea at first, but I'm getting used to it. I could even live with Woolsey.

I really don't know where all this newfound positivity about S5 is coming from (or how long it will last), but I've come to the conclusion that I could live with just about anyone as leader of Atlantis except for one of the main team (which means Sheppard) or General Landry.

Livingstone
February 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
For me, Weir is the only leader of Atlantis. But I could live with Woolsey. I REALLY don't want anyone from SG1, not a regular at least. Atlantis should stand on it's own legs and leave those other characters where they belong: cancelled!

cheese
February 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Woolsey was my first thought. He seems like a plausible candidate, he's high up in the IOA, and I'm sure they're greatly impressed by his previous trips to Atlantis (you just know he writes all the reports with himself in the best possible light). He's civillian, so that counts in his favour too, it would hopefully make for a more interesting dynamic, back to a more conflicting relationship between Civillian command and the Military squads. He's political person like Weir was so for me he seems the most likely choice.

Daniel is anothe interesting thought, but I'm afraid that he'll just be like Carter, hanging around in the background when we want him out there doing cool stuff. His skill set is more geared to being out on missions, or perhaps heading up an archeology department rather than being behind a desk. I just don't him being happy with just a deskjob without dulling his character. On the plus side he is a strong moral force, so he does have good grounding for a leadership position. I'd much rather see Daniel more involved in missions than Carter is in Atlantis S4.

Hammond is an outside shot, IOA I don't think would be keen for the military to be in charge of Atlantis.

I agree with the reduced role for Teyla theory, it makes sense given her current arc, and I'd imagine Rachel will want to spend a lot of time with her new bundle of joy.

Klenotka
Didn´t someone note somewhere that Joe Flanigan complained about the distance between him and his family? I mean, Sheppard could be a new leader, just like O´Neill in S8 when RDA wanted to be with his daughter. The presence of the new captain could mean that this Alison Porter might be a new team leader. I don´t understand why they would count out Lorne, when he could be there but it´s not the problem here.
I wouldn´t like it, I prefer Caldwell. Or it could be someone totally new. I hope it´s not some other "star" from SG1...

Skydiver
i would hate it.

simply because...he's another vala in a way. a 'one shot' character that had to be massively re-written to be even remotely sustainable.

'well meaning but incompetant person put in a nitpicking role who is proven wrong by the end' works as a plot device for an episode.

doesn't work in the long term.

caldwell would be my preference for someone that would fit

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
I can tell you if it's RDA/Jack O'neill, I will be very happy!!! O'neill/RDA is older and would be a good fit now as leader of SGA. He really rocked in "The Return"! Can the budget afford him?

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
I can tell you if it's RDA/Jack O'neill, I will be very happy!!! O'neill/RDA is older and would be a good fit now as leader of SGA. He really rocked in "The Return"! Can the budget afford him?

But why would they do that? That would be a demotion for Jack, going from Head of Homeworld Security to base commander.

prion
February 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Wolsey would be too weak as a leader
Teal'c would not get on with Ronon
Jack is (sorry to say) too old, and it would be a step downwards
AU Wier a possibility but, I don't think the actress want to be full time
Cadwell and Ellis are both ship commanders and it diffficult to leave a job like that.
That Leaves Michael Shanks but like someone says, will they want to go from military to civilian again
What would the IOA want - well I say Bates

Just a guess!!

Teal'c - he'd have the base blown up in a week with some Jaffa revenge thing ;)
Jack - sorry to say - podjack isn't capable of more than cracking lame jokes, it seems :(
Weir - they woudln't let REpliWEir being in charge, alas
Caldwell and Ellis - it would be a promotion; they'd take it
Daniel - he goes nuts ;)
bates - alas, no command/leadership experience really
woolsey - the base is doomed then, face it, the guy has a slight tendency to panic. he makes rodney look stalwart ;)
Mitchell- would be interesting, but

I think they need a character who doesn't have to prove they're still the save-all-scientist type (Carter) and someone who understands they stay put on the base and deal with all the bureaucratic crap.

Hmm, about two days left to speculate, I think ;)

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Didn´t someone note somewhere that Joe Flanigan complained about the distance between him and his family? I mean, Sheppard could be a new leader, just like O´Neill in S8 when RDA wanted to be with his daughter. The presence of the new captain could mean that this Alison Porter might be a new team leader. I don´t understand why they would count out Lorne, when he could be there but it´s not the problem here.
I wouldn´t like it, I prefer Caldwell. Or it could be someone totally new. I hope it´s not some other "star" from SG1...

I really hope it's not Sheppard too - I want him with his team.

Honestly, I think I would prefer them to go back to a civilian leader. Then Shep could be head of the military again. But I don't think they'll do that - I am almost positive they will pick a military leader, since they made such a big deal about it when bringing Carter over.

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
But why would they do that? That would be a demotion for Jack, going from Head of Homeworld Security to base commander.

Yeah you are right did not think about that, he already overlooks Atlantis and the SGC.

immhotep
February 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
What about Mckay? I mean, he is a logical choice and hes basicly in charge of all the civilians on atlantis anyway.

Other candidates:
Zelenka would represent a more international angle to atlantis's command which might suit the IOA.

Also, i think that Carter is going to command a ship for S5. Likely the Pheonix, so she would still be around but she is much more suited to being a ship captain than a base commander IMO, because she has the technical and tactical expertise in that field, she basicly designed the deadalus after all...or was at area51 when it was being developed. So ships captain for Carter...

I think Lorne is a very good candidate but his rank isnt high enough to outrank Sheppard which puts him out of the running.

Keller...an option but unlikely.

What about tealc. I mean i know hes a Jaffa but hes basicly human now, and hes coming over to SGA for a bit..no hes not Tauri which stands him out of military ranks needed to bring him over, although he is a civilian..

Daniel is a very logical choice..and the hints so far seem promising, i think he might come on the Pheonix, run around on that for a couple of months, and then trade jobs with carter; maybe the captain is killed, while carter is on board, she takes control and stays there, meanwhile danny gets to take over at atlantis...

justhere1971
February 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM

maybe walter's been promoted since we saw him last;)

Walter Skinner was killed off in the last epi of X-files. Only way to bring him to the movie is in ghost form ala Krycek. So far the production details list neither as returning.

silly sally
February 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Could it be Daniel? He wanted so much to go to Atlantis way back in season eight. :danielanime13:

rlr149
February 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Walter Skinner was killed off in the last epi of X-files. Only way to bring him to the movie is in ghost form ala Krycek. So far the production details list neither as returning.

walter the 'chevron guy' as commander of atlantishttp://www.fightclub360.co.uk/images/smilies/doh1.gif

s09119
February 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
I'd really enjoy seeing either:

- Woolsey
- Caldwell (boy would John go insane...)
- Hammond
- Daniel

Any of them would be great, for a slew of reasons... Woolsey would provide the antagonistic IOA rep, Caldwell would be the hard-lining-but-sometimes-empathic military leader, Hammond would just be... God... and Daniel would be the cultured, diplomatic leader.

JohnRico
February 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
PG15 I would give it up. Just about no one likes that Richard guy or the IOA. You are all alone with that one

Irish Eyes
February 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM

Yeah you are right did not think about that, he already overlooks Atlantis and the SGC.

But how much does Jack really care about this kind of stuff? If he wanted to come to Atlantis, I'm sure he wouldn't care about a demotion.

As far as Woolsey, yeah, I can see where that could create some good conflict with the team. However, as much as I like RP, I'm always happy to see his character leave at the end of an episode. Not sure I could sit through an entire season of him. :)

I do not want any member of the team behind that desk. Hmmmm, no one has mentioned Ronon as a candidate. :D

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
But how much does Jack really care about this kind of stuff? If he wanted to come to Atlantis, I'm sure he wouldn't care about a demotion.

Why would Jack want to come to Atlantis? It was Daniel that always wanted to go....I don't think Jack really cared.

I think Caldwell's probably our most likely candidate. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not as bad as it could be.

And yeah, I don't want the team broken up either. :)

Eri13
February 2nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
I'd want the new commander to be a male. I think I just don't want to deal with the idea of another head of something to have sexual tension with the other 'boys' on the expedition. Let the leader be male, and let the tension be military vs. civilian or buttoned up vs. bending the rules.

My first choice would be Caldwell: Mitch Pileggi was working on "Daybreak" in 2006 but that was canceled, so i think he's free. The fact that he almost got his hands on Sheppard's job back in S2 is a good indication he could be brought in as a leader--and the plotline would not have to go far to explain why he was placed in charge, as the IOA would have put him in that position had it not been for Weir's blocking him.

Caldwell has always been an interesting and sensible character in my book--he opposed the less rigid standards of Atlantis but did so civilly, without flying off the handle or aggressively asserting authority. He complied with Weir but made his own opinions known. He was a much better character than Ellis in my book because he had a gentlemanly nature, even when he was at his most antagonistic.

In short, I think it'd be interesting to see the dynamic develop between Caldwell and the rest.

As for Woolsey: Sure, it might be an 'idea' but I couldn't see him making the kinds of decisions Elizabeth did. With as much cowering as he showed in "The Return", how would anyone think he'd make an effective leader?

Daniel: Daniel was my favorite character in SG-1. But I have a really hard time seeing him do what Elizabeth did in SGA. If they wanted Daniel to come as a scientist or head of research or something, I could see that--but as the leader, where he didn't explore really at all? Another congenial head, getting along with Sheppard and the rest? Watching him watch the others go through the gate, leaning over the balcony as Weir did? It doesn't seem right to me. I disliked what happened to Sam this season because she didn't get to be who she was in SG-1--I wouldn't want to do the same with Daniel.

Irish Eyes
February 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Why would Jack want to come to Atlantis? It was Daniel that always wanted to go....I don't think Jack really cared.

I think Caldwell's probably our most likely candidate. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not as bad as it could be.

And yeah, I don't want the team broken up either. :)

Yeah, I thought of that as I was writing. Basically I'm projecting what TPTB want onto Jack. And it would be quite a coup to get RDA back on screen.

I could live with Caldwell. :) Just say no to Landry. :D

saberhagen83
February 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
My first choise would be Caldwell. I think he would be able to bring in some conflict to the show (which we haven't really got before), even though the guy has softened a bit since he first showed up. ;) I'm not sure I want someone from SG1, it would be a natural step to make Caldwell take charge. Besides didn't he want that position before anyway? I'm sure he would still be on the shortlist of candidates. But please, god no! NO WOOLSEY! :jack_new_anime05: :D

I actually think they will likely stick to someone millitary to run Atlantis. It wouldn't make sense to change that direction now. So choices are very few IMO.

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
My first choise would be Caldwell. [...]it would be a natural step to make Caldwell take charge. Besides didn't he want that position before anyway?

He actually wanted military command - Shep's position, but I'm sure he'd like command of the whole thing...:p

Uncle Tobias
February 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM

What?! How did I miss that :(

Jumper_One
February 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
I think it's either Caldwell or Ellis because TBTB would want an experienced military USAF officer. Woolsey's a civilian, Daniel too and he's part of SG-1 and most likely will appear in an ep anyway. Landry will remain head of the SGC (except if Carter replaces him), Hammond's retired, O'Neill's in DC (but that would be so cool :D). it won't be any of the existing regulars because Joe said they're very happy 'to add this name to the list of regulars'. Weir's still MIA so it's not here. am I forgetting someone? IDK, Caldwell or Ellis are the most likely possibilities imo

what'chu talkin bout carter
February 2nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
theirs one person that no one has even talked about and thats jonas quinn

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM

And for good reason. There's a greater chance of giant pyramid ships attacking the Earth within the next 30 minutes than him appearing on Atlantis, let alone taking command.

Jumper_One
February 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM

:P

And for good reason. There's a greater chance of giant pyramid ships attacking the Earth within the next 30 minutes than him appearing on Atlantis, let alone taking command.

:indeed:

saberhagen83
February 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
He actually wanted military command - Shep's position, but I'm sure he'd like command of the whole thing...:p

Oh, your right. Got stuff mixed up here. :o ;)

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
It's going to most likely be....

Dah dah...........

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/penguin13tcj/Colonel-Steven-Caldwell-M.jpg

I don't think Mitch is doing any series at the moment. Plus he outranks Sheppard and would be a perfect fit. I think even better than Carter

Major_Griff
February 2nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
How bout Siler or Dr. Lee? Or Anise/Freya? Or Chuck? Or <insert ancillary character here>?

JohnRico
February 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
How bout Siler or Dr. Lee? Or Anise/Freya? Or Chuck? Or <insert ancillary character here>?

I found Dr.Lee annoying in his Atlantis show up last night. I think they are trying way to hard with him. Id rather have Zelenka as Commander then him.

Major_Griff
February 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
I found Dr.Lee annoying in his Atlantis show up last night. I think they are trying way to hard with him. Id rather have Zelenka as Commander then him.

Well my post was in jest. Seriously, Caldwell, Ellis, and Woosley are the only characters that have been mentioned that I think are realistic possibilities. Of those, Caldwell would be my choice.

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Well my post was in jest. Seriously, Caldwell, Ellis, and Woosley are the only characters that have been mentioned that I think are realistic possibilities. Of those, Caldwell would be my choice.

Caldwell is the best choice. Remember "The Intruder"? Weir stuck up for Sheppard and told Landry and the IOA that he was the best man for the job. They were already looking at Caldwell to take Col Sumners place. So it would make sense to go back to Caldwell. I loved the tension between him and Sheppard, and him and Weir. I think the show will be even better with him as commander of Atlantis.

blue-skyz
February 2nd, 2008, 11:24 AM

All I want is for some kind of difference with this new commander. I want some more conflict, more disagreements, more of an "oppressed" vibe from the team. If you guys want the same old, same old commander who treat everyone nicely and listen to their suggestions and that whole "everyone is one big happy family" thing, then go ahead. If this comes to pass, I'll watch it with an open mind, just like I always do, instead of anticipation if there was a promise of much-needed conflict.
Conflict could be achieved with Woolsey or Caldwell. Ellis wasn’t a factor back in the time of the short list, so, IMO, he’s not in contention and I don’t like him at all.

Woolsey would work, if he came as the administrative civilian head. That could leave Sheppard back as Military Commander. Since they are at war with the Wraith, that could leave him in charge of making most of the interesting decisions, but not prevent him from being a team leader the way he’s always been. Woolsey could be in the background or out of the picture until he is needed for some conflict/drama/humor. That might make the IOA and the military both happy. I like Woolsey and RP, but wouldn’t want him in every episode or very prominent often.

Caldwell could bring a mixture of conflict and respect. He is military and I think Atlantis should be militarized (they’ve never actually said it was). He could be interesting. He must have gained respect for Sheppard et.al., since the S2 when he didn’t think Sheppard could be trusted to follow orders or be a commander. But Caldwell would still be a by-the-book and hands-on commander. That could make for some interesting friction.

I really liked the fact that Sheppard and Carter had instant rapport. It was nice to see leaders with similar backgrounds that respected each other’s abilities. I’m sorry we’re losing that. I can’t ever see that with Woolsey, obviously. I don’t think Sheppard will ever be comfortable with Caldwell, either, but the respect between them could grow.

I don’t see the leader being female. We have been female leader’d to death on this show. It just not reasonable. I agree with the previous assessments that Capt. Porter is the female balance (and I hope brings some additional abilities to the mix)

So, Caldwell seems to be the likely candidate.

I do hope they make it a temporary or interim assignment. I actually can see the leader changing from time to time to keep things ‘shook up.’ I don’t want Sheppard as Leader permanently, but I like him as a temporary leader from time to time. I loved his being leader in Adrift.

Woolsey...... this is a nice option for the IOA, and just about everyone cannot stand him in the first place. Not to mention over time, he has earned a little respect from SGC, and has began to wise up a little...compassion has finally set in over the years. His character has certainly developed...I can see Tayla being his second in command here.

I can’t see Teyla ever being in the chain of command at all, she’s an alien, but her acting as Woolsey’s aide and advisor about all things Pegasus would work for a while. Capt. Porter could join the team for a period of time. I think the team really needs a new member that will bring different talents and expertise, even if only intermittently.

JohnRico
February 2nd, 2008, 11:25 AM

The only thing with Ellis is he said himself that John should be the run Commanding Atlantis so I would think Ellis would put in a good word for John.

EnterTheLion
February 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Personally I think it will be Daniel, a civilian very familiar with the military and the world's foremost expert of the Ancients. Hasn't it been a long running theme that Daniel almost always misses his trips to Atlantis. Well this time, he'll come back to lead it.

The way Joe terms his announcement, we know it's going to be someone known, and someone significant within the sg universe. By process of elimination, you need a leader who can work with the military (not a wimp like Woolsey) and someone well versed in Ancient tech/culture. You get Daniel.

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
The more I think about PG15's Woolsey idea, the more sold on it I'm getting. I think I would actually like that better than Caldwell. I have a feeling they'll stay with military, but it'd be nice to go back to a civilian leader (effectively putting Shep back in charge of the military), and Woolsey would certainly shake things up. I didn't think I would like having him around all the time, but the more I think about the possibilities, the more I think it could work.....

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Personally I think it will be Daniel, a civilian very familiar with the military and the world's foremost expert of the Ancients. Hasn't it been a long running theme that Daniel almost always misses his trips to Atlantis. Well this time, he'll come back to lead it.

The way Joe terms his announcement, we know it's going to be someone known, and someone significant within the sg universe. By process of elimination, you need a leader who can work with the military (not a wimp like Woolsey) and someone well versed in Ancient tech/culture. You get Daniel.

Y'all are starting to convince me that Daniel is actually a possibility. I wonder.....

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
The more I think about PG15's Woolsey idea, the more sold on it I'm getting. I think I would actually like that better than Caldwell. I have a feeling they'll stay with military, but it'd be nice to go back to a civilian leader (effectively putting Shep back in charge of the military), and Woolsey would certainly shake things up. I didn't think I would like having him around all the time, but the more I think about the possibilities, the more I think it could work.....

The problem with Woosley being in charge is that he is a civillian. I thought they got rid of Weir because they wanted a military person leading the expedition. As a Weir fan I would be annoyed if a civillian came aboard, since it was the major reason for Weir's removal by TPTB.

BTW, what is with this idea of Daniel leading? Sure if they want to try and understand and compromise with the Wraith. So um who here compromises with their food?

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
The problem with Woosley being in charge is that he is a civillian. I thought they got rid of Weir because they wanted a military person leading the expedition. As a Weir fan I would be annoyed if a civillian came aboard, since it was the major reason for Weir's removal by TPTB.

Well, I said that earlier too. But I've been thinking about that. Did they ever actually say that, or was that fan justification for bringing Sam in?

Uncle Tobias
February 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM

I am inclined not to bet against both PG15 and Darren when they think it'll be Woolsey, too. I think just going by the forums it would be a pretty contreversial change though.

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Well, I said that earlier too. But I've been thinking about that. Did they ever actually say that, or was that fan justification for bringing Sam in?

Well, I think that was one of the reasons, the other was that they did not have a direction for Weir, or they did but being leader of Atlantis was not going to make sense with this direction.

ussrelativity
February 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
I didn't think so much would be happening here so fast. It's been a while since I posted at a quicker pace. I think Woolsey would be interesting.

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Well, I think that was one of the reasons, the other was that they did not have a direction for Weir, or they did but being leader of Atlantis was not going to make sense with this direction.

Well, I don't know. I think a military commander is more likely, because of the reasons you've stated, but I personally would like a civilian commander again, even if it's not Weir. Don't get me wrong, I wish they'd never written her out in the first place, but I can't change the past. :S

Uncle Tobias
February 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
There's one thing a friend reminded me of with Woolsey. Wasn't there an ep recently where he said something along the lines of not wanting leadership himself (or for the IOA) because of just how difficult the desicions involved were? I think it was to Sam.

PG15
February 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
^Yeah, he said something like that in "The Seer". However, the entirety of my idea stems from the fact that he won't really be the leader; the IOA will be. He is their puppet, but hopefully, through the season, he will develop into a more agreeable person. This really goes back to the idea that he is too weak to be a leader. That's true, but it won't matter because the IOA will be the ones who will really lead.

In fact, I've already got an idea for a story for him if there should be a single episode focused on his character (and assuming he is the new commander...man, I'm really getting ahead of myself here). Imagine that he has to dial Earth every once in a while to speak with the IOA, and imagine that one day, the gate breaks down, and he has to handle the current situation by himself. It would be facinating, IMHO.

PG15 I would give it up. Just about no one likes that Richard guy or he IOA. You are all alone with that one

It's not about whether people like them or not; it's about whether they can be used to tell interesting stories. ;)

Ah, but see, there is a difference here. It's not so black and white as "military or civillian". Was Carter put in charge because the Pegasus galaxy is now a more dangerous place? Yeah, perhaps, but she was also placed there by the IOA, among others. They are really the top boss here. If they put Woolsey in, it won't be because they want a civillian again; instead, it's because they want one of their own so they can better control Atlantis.

In terms of out-of-universe explanations, I can see TPTB doing this as a way to (once again) inject conflict into the series. We all know that it WON'T be a good idea to put Woolsey in, and that's why it'll be fun to watch.

I am inclined not to bet against both PG15 and Darren when they think it'll be Woolsey, too. I think just going by the forums it would be a pretty contreversial change though.

Aren't they all? ;)

But again, this is just a gut feeling. If it were Caldwell, I'd be happy too, because there will still be conflict, and I like him. But besides those two, I really can't think of anyone else that's realistic.

It's not like I know any inside info (although Darren might. :D).

Yes, I have a convert, sort of! :D ;)

Mitchell82
February 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well, I don't know. I think a military commander is more likely, because of the reasons you've stated, but I personally would like a civilian commander again, even if it's not Weir. Don't get me wrong, I wish they'd never written her out in the first place, but I can't change the past. :S

Yeah a military commander is more likely but just trying to figure out who is tough. I doubt it is Daniel because I doubt he would want it. As per Weir I still think it was the right move.

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Well, PG15, because you insist on Woolsey, I hope you're right. I hope he becomes leader and, 3 episodes in, he realises just how much he respects the team and tells the IOA to **** off. Then, towards the end of the season, Todd feeds on him.

gopher65
February 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
I like both Caldwell and Woosley, so I'd be fine with either one of them. I've only seen Picardo in a few roles other than on Voyager and Stargate, but I've never yet found him to be a disappointment, so I throw my vote behind him:).

Do we absolutely know that it will be an already established character, or are we shooting in the dark here? Could it be someone new?

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Do we absolutely know that it will be an already established character, or are we shooting in the dark here? Could it be someone new?

I believe that JM said that it would be a "familiar face."

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Well, JM said it's a familiar face...

Jackie
February 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
It's interesting to see all the predictions on this thread. I just had an interesting thought though...

what is monday's big announcement is to that JF who plays sheppard is leaving? Hmm....

for that matter it could be to announce that Mckay's sister is coming in as leader!

Jeannie as leader? Hmmm....

gopher65
February 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
In fact, I've already got an idea for a story for him if there should be a single episode focused on his character (and assuming he is the new commander...man, I'm really getting ahead of myself here). Imagine that he has to dial Earth every once in a while to speak with the IOA, and imagine that one day, the gate breaks down, and he has to handle the current situation by himself. It would be facinating, IMHO.
Yeah, Zero Hour was one of my favourite SG-1 episodes. I can see a Woolsy episode along similar lines. Kinda like Data's Day or whatever it was called off TNG, or Doctor's Orders or whatever it was called from Enterprise. Follow around a single character in a situation where they are tossed out of their element and where they have to make decisions on their own that they would normally have assistance with.

I often like such episodes in any genre.

Well, JM said it's a familiar face...
Ok, cool.

Mitchell82
February 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
I like both Caldwell and Woosley, so I'd be fine with either one of them. I've only seen Picardo in a few roles other than on Voyager and Stargate, but I've never yet found him to be a disappointment, so I throw my vote behind him:).

JM said that it is someone who they considered bringing over before so sounds like an established character.

Fenrir Foxz
February 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
JM said that it is someone who they considered bringing over before so sounds like an established character.

Yup... I'm hoping for Caldwell :)

PG15
February 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Well, PG15, because you insist on Woolsey, I hope you're right. I hope he becomes leader and, 3 episodes in, he realises just how much he respects the team and tells the IOA to **** off. Then, towards the end of the season, Todd feeds on him.

Do I detect a hint of vengefulness? You know, it ain't healthy. :p

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
You know, I've been rather doubtful about the idea of Daniel coming over, just mainly because I really didn't think TPTB would do that. And I still mostly don't; however....

Here's something else to consider. I think we all mostly probably agree that one of the reasons for choosing Amanda out of the available choices to replace Torri was the factor of bringing over SG-1 viewers to Atlantis. Carter is a very popular character. But now she's leaving, and if TPTB are worried about losing those viewers, they might try to hold onto them by replacing her with another very popular SG-1 character - Daniel.

I still can't quite see Daniel in this job. But out of the options, Daniel would probably be the one to attract the most viewers who aren't already watching (short of Jack, of course, but I'm assuming RDA is out of the running). Of course, they also have to think about how many other people they would lose by bringing over yet another SG-1 character..... :S

It's just a thought. And probably won't happen. :)

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Do I detect a hint of vengefulness? You know, it ain't healthy. :p

Vengeful? Me? Oh, goodness, no!!! *nervous laughter*

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
'familiar face' could also mean 'actor that's been on the show before but in a different role

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
'familiar face' could also mean 'actor that's been on the show before but in a different role

Yeah, I've thought about that as well...But who could it be? And didn't he also say that they were in the running when they offed Weir?

Celcool
February 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Just no more SG-1 characters! TPTB should let go of that show already.

JohnRico
February 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I want to see Michael Ironside as the Atlantis Commander ;)

Ironside - Everyone fights & no one quits do you get me
McKay - No not really no

Mitchell82
February 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I've thought about that as well...But who could it be? And didn't he also say that they were in the running when they offed Weir?

Which makes it that much more confusing.

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! Monday can't come soon enough!!!!

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM

I think Caldwell or Woosley would be the best canidates. I'd rather have Caldwell though. He had some good chemistry with the cast. They need to keep a familar face and brining someone new could truly hurt the show and take a huge risk.

Familar to Atlantis or SG in general? I wonder.

Mitchell82
February 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I think Caldwell or Woosley would be the best canidates. I'd rather have Caldwell though. He had some good chemistry with the cast. They need to keep a familar face and brining someone new could truly hurt the show and take a huge risk.
Agreed.

Familar to Atlantis or SG in general? I wonder.
Me too.

Jumper_One
February 2nd, 2008, 01:40 PM

I think it's Caldwell or Ellis. according to imdb MP is doing nothing so far in 2008 so it may be him (yes I know, never trust imdb but still...)

The_Carpenter
February 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
I think it's Caldwell or Ellis. according to imdb MP is doing nothing so far in 2008 so it may be him (yes I know, never trust imdb but still...)

I would put money on Caldwell myself.

Perhaps he gets promoted to General gets command of Atlantis and Sam gets command of the Deadalus, that way she can pop in and out when Sanctuary allows.

Eri13
February 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM

Bringing in 'teh Mitch' would be something of a nice compromise, too. Keeping true to Atlantis roots, plus Pileggi is strong and manly--that seems cheesy to say, but he's the most 'masculine' of any character I've seen. He's not wishy-washy and he's very by the book serious. I think having him in charge, with guest appearances by Daniel to keep SG-1 involved (presuming that's what TPTB want) would be a better balance, IMO, than flipping it around.

If I have to have someone other than Weir, I'd take Caldwell any day. Especially when we get to the Weir eppies and Sheppard has to challenge Caldwell on what to do about the situation, because I'm sure, if Caldwell is the commander, that's where it would be headed. Reverse of "Conversion".

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Bringing in 'teh Mitch' would be something of a nice compromise, too. Keeping true to Atlantis roots, plus Pileggi is strong and manly--that seems cheesy to say, but he's the most 'masculine' of any character I've seen. He's not wishy-washy and he's very by the book serious. I think having him in charge, with guest appearances by Daniel to keep SG-1 involved (presuming that's what TPTB want) would be a better balance, IMO, than flipping it around.

If I have to have someone other than Weir, I'd take Caldwell any day. Especially when we get to the Weir eppies and Sheppard has to challenge Caldwell on what to do about the situation, because I'm sure, if Caldwell is the commander, that's where it would be headed. Reverse of "Conversion".

Indeed, but Caldwell has come to respect the team, so I don't see him being as confrontational as he was in season 2. He'd know when and how to put John in his place, but he wouldn't be unreasonable either. I really DO think he'd be best for the job... I do hope it's him, but I'm not holding my breath on it...

Jumper_One
February 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
I would put money on Caldwell myself.

Perhaps he gets promoted to General gets command of Atlantis and Sam gets command of the Deadalus, that way she can pop in and out when Sanctuary allows.

that may indeed be what'll happen although I hope they don't promote him, Atlantis needs a Col imo, not a General. I'm curious about Carter myself. will she rejoin R&D? take command of a ship? join the SGC scientists? who knows

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Well, getting command of a ship is kind of a step back, so I don't see that happening. Go back to the SGC or something else on Earth. And Caldwell is a full colonel, just like Sam. He doesn't need to be promoted. Someone new can take command of the Daedalus. Though, part of the Daeddy's charm is Caldwell himslf. He's been there from the first time it was introduced. If Caldwell leaves the Daedalus, I'd rather see it destroyed...

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Agreed.

Me too.

Yeah it should be very interesting. I admit, I am a little nervous. :S

Hmm well MP has been received very well I think by the SGA fans when he came on in Season 2. Some people they immediatley loved him, others he grew on them. So I think he would be the wise choice, and I think it will soften the blow of Amanda leaving. It would make sense story-wise, and it would be putting a familar face in the leadership position.

As much as I love Weir, her returning as leader would not work at all next season. Like I said above Caldwell is a very good choice, imo. I would actually be very happy if that was the choice.

iolanda
February 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
What about Bates?

He's now IOA - and Dean is a very nice guy I'd like to see again on screen.

Jumper_One
February 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
What about Bates?

He's now IOA - and Dean is a very nice guy I'd like to see again on screen.

I think TBTB would want someone in the USAF

Wraith_Boy
February 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Top choice would easily be Caldwell for me, but perhaps Ellis as he'd probably be more available for the role.

Second choice would be Teal'c.

Maybe JF is wanting to cut back his time or whatever & so they give him the top job as a compromise.

Can definitely see them giving it to Woolsey. Perhaps even Landry!

Platschu
February 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
I can accept Colonel Reynolds too, who was the leader of SG-3. :)
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0107023/

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
I can accept Colonel Reynolds too, who was the leader of SG-3. :)
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0107023/

Well, I certainly like his filmography:

Pig Tale (2007) .... The Rapist

Uncle Tobias
February 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Well, I certainly like his filmography:

Pig Tale (2007) .... The Rapist

That reminds me, I guess there's Colonel Davies(?) who was in command of the Oddessy in a few Season 10 eps. He was most known as Lt. Thorne in BSG, or 'the guy that raped Boomer'. Seeing him in SG-1 after that was really odd.

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
That reminds me, I guess there's Colonel Davies(?) who was in command of the Oddessy in a few Season 10 eps. He was most known as Lt. Thorne in BSG, or 'the guy that raped Boomer'. Seeing him in SG-1 after that was really odd.:lol:

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Alright people, I've thought it over. None of our ideas for new commander work. None of them are brave, beautiful and good enough.
Just bring in Lucius, please.

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell
February 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
I'd love Jack or Daniel but I think it will be Caldwell which I'm cool with because I like Mitch and I've grown to like Caldwell, but I wish it was Monday already.

prion
February 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Top choice would easily be Caldwell for me, but perhaps Ellis as he'd probably be more available for the role.

Second choice would be Teal'c.

Maybe JF is wanting to cut back his time or whatever & so they give him the top job as a compromise.

Can definitely see them giving it to Woolsey. Perhaps even Landry!

Heheee, Teal'c as commander. Um, hate to say it, but he's an alien. The IOA would pop a cork over that. Teyla would be more suited in that aspect as she's from the Pegasus Galaxy. Nope, teal'c would get them in a war in no time flat ;)

I don't think they'd promote Sheppard due to the fact he'd then get stuck on base. And Sheppard has stated enough he doesn't really want that job either. He likes the action.

Hmm, what's Vala's dad up to nowadays?? ;)

Jumper_One
February 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I don't think they'd promote Sheppard due to the fact he'd then get stuck on base. And Sheppard has stated enough he doesn't really want that job either. He likes the action.

also Joe said

Well this person made that short list then, and we’re VERY excited about his/her/its(?) addition to our cast of regulars.
it can't be someone who's already a regular ;)

Hmm, what's Vala's dad up to nowadays?? ;)

Jeffala
February 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Its going to be a Wraith

No, it's totally going to be a Furling.

I would totally love that!

I think providing they write him a bit more well rounded, woolsey would work, Picardo can certainly carry a big position, he was a highlight of Star Trek Voyager and often featured prominently.

He could host concerts and sing for Atlantis!

One could argue that the only reason a military officer was chosen to replace Weir is that with both the Wraith and the Asurans on the warpath, Atlantis needed someone in charge with military experience.

Now that the Asurans have been neutralized, Atlantis can return to the status quo: civilian leadership with military support staff.

fallenexile452
February 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Whoever we get as long as they're a regular, so we get one of this magical disappearing chain of command that we've had so far this season, i'll be happy.

I wouldn't mind Cauldwell, but as someone pointed out further up joe did say addition to the cast and MP is already somewhat of a recurring character. however he did also say that the new commander was in the frame at the start of season 4 before they knew AT would be heading over, which if my logic doesn't fail me would mean that the character was in existence somewhere in the season 1-3 time frame (or even possibly another character being brought over from SG-1), and would furher mean that it is most likely to be a character that has been in one or two episodes as a guest but not as a recurring character, which could put woolsey right back in the frame.

hisg1fans
February 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
My vote is for Woolsey....

or Teyla.

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Alright people, I've thought it over. None of our ideas for new commander work. None of them are brave, beautiful and good enough.
Just bring in Lucius, please.
whacks reddevil ;)

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
"I'm back and am taking control of Atlantis"

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/marcm1978/303_06.jpg

Uncle Tobias
February 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
"I'm back and am taking control of Atlantis"

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/marcm1978/303_06.jpg

That would probably be the one thing that unites the fandom over something..but not for posistive reasons

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
universal hate.

that could be interesting :)

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
That would probably be the one thing that unites the fandom over something..but not for posistive reasons

universal hate.

that could be interesting :)

Put me down for that hate campaign! :p

Shipperahoy
February 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
That could actually be a pretty genius strategy if you think about it. Bring him in for a couple of episodes and then nobody will care who replaces him as long as he's gone.

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
pretty much

TGLG

thank goodness lucius is gone

Uber
February 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
pretty much

TGLG

thank goodness lucius is gone

Actually, that would be TGLIG.

I'm just sayin'.

ablevins425
February 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I would just love to see Jack back but it's about a 99.9% no.

While I think a lot of people are excited about Daniel, I think the odds are about the same.

General Hammond would be cool too! I have so missed him!!

Landry, I hope not. Never really liked his character.

Teal'c would be an interesting leader, of course we are still in the not very likely category.

I do like Woolsey, I have loved him since Stargate Voyager (please state the nature of the medical emergency!)

Of course there are those that are less likely than those I mentioned, like an Asgard, Furling, Nox, Tollan, or Gou'ld, Tokra, Aschen or Wraith.

The "it" comment has me thinking hard, but I really think that it was just added in to throw us fans off.

I believe it's going to be Ellis, which is a shame, cause I don't really enjoy that character at all, loved him in E.R., just not right for Sci Fi in my opinion.

Caldwell would be cool I guess, but he is another that just doesn't fit for some reason. Maybe it's that I can't see him as anything but Skinner, I don't know.

I have tried and tried to think of every possiblility, and I think I have to stick with Ellis (sigh).

Although I did think about one that I don't think I saw mentioned, which could be possible, is Teyla. I have this weird conspiracy theory going on with her right now though. I just re-watched Spoiles of War, and found it very interesting how they verbalized how much easier it was for her to take the controls over, and the whole scene with the wraith queen. For some reason I don't think that the queen wanted to kill the baby, or couldn't because the baby was helping Teyla fight. I don't think the man she speaks of is really the father, but it is an experiment done by Michael, or even more unlikely, a present from the Ancients. They blessed Teyla with a child, a lot like the Ori I guess, and he/she/it will rapidly grow to adulthood, and they put him/her/it in charge of Atlantis.

Even with everything I have listed, it will probably turn out to be something I didn't even think of. But anyway your thoughts?

Skydiver
February 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
here's a totally off the wall idea

carson comes back...everyone is assuming that it'll be DOCTOR Carson Beckett

what if it's Colonel Carson Beckett???

I'm just saying, he's back, but if he's not a doctor then keller could stay as the cmo, carson takes sam's place and things are done with a minimum of fuss

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
here's a totally off the wall idea

carson comes back...everyone is assuming that it'll be DOCTOR Carson Beckett

what if it's Colonel Carson Beckett???

I'm just saying, he's back, but if he's not a doctor then keller could stay as the cmo, carson takes sam's place and things are done with a minimum of fuss

I love Carson Beckett's character, but leader? That would be hilarious. :p I just hope he returns in a nice amount of eps, like more than 10!

Anyway getting back on topic. So it's going to be a familar face in the SG universe? I hope it is, don't really feel like getting used to a brand new character and castmember. :S

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Anti-Lucius in Season 5 thread... in my mind, it'd have already hit a thousand posts...

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Anyway getting back on topic. So it's going to be a familar face in the SG universe? I hope it is, don't really feel like getting used to a brand new character and castmember. :S

It is going to be someone that we already know, but personally, I would have preferred a new character. More potential and not as much preconcieved baggage from their former roles. I know JM and I are not in agreement in this area however, obviously. :)

jelgate
here's a totally off the wall ideacarson comes back...everyone is assuming that it'll be DOCTOR Carson Beckettwhat if it's Colonel Carson Beckett???I'm just saying, he's back, but if he's not a doctor then keller could stay as the cmo, carson takes sam's place and things are done with a minimum of fussThats just wrong. :S Beckett had that quality of how he cares very deeply about everyone with every one he works with. While that is a good quality it would be a bad idea for leader.

JohnRico
It is one thing to let Carson resume his old position but I doubt the IOA would trust Carson right off the bat to be the Expeditions Commander after being held captive by Michael for so long.

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Thats just wrong. :S Beckett had that quality of how he cares very deeply about everyone with every one he works with. While that is a good quality it would be a bad idea for leader.

I thought Weir had that going for her, too, though... ;)

Jeffala
February 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
It is one thing to let Carson resume his old position but I doubt the IOA would trust Carson right off the bat to be the Expeditions Commander after being held captive by Michael for so long.

To be realistic, he probably wouldn't be allowed to resume CMO duties right off the bat, either.

He would probably be sent back to Earth for a battery of physical and psychological evaluations.

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Thats just wrong. :S Beckett had that quality of how he cares very deeply about everyone with every one he works with. While that is a good quality it would be a bad idea for leader.

Beckett in charge....

Atlantis Personal: Dr. Beckett Sir, we have an incoming wormhole, Lorne's team is under fire

Beckett: Ay, I forgot to feed my wee baby turtles

Atlantis Personal: Um Sir, do we open up the gate?

Beckett: I dunno, do you think we should, you seem like an intelligent lad.

LOL, I love Carson, but leader? No way. :p

JohnRico
February 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
He would probably be sent back to Earth for a battery of physical and psychological evaluations.

I agree but those tests can easily be done on Atlantis as well & probably with baldy there to oversee them

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Beckett in charge....

Atlantis Personal: Dr. Beckett Sir, we have an incoming wormhole, Lorne's team is under fire

Oh my gods, best faux dialogue ever.:lol:

Bytor
February 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Caldwell would be entirely retarded as the commander
Lorne would be entirely retarded as the commander AND he is ranked lower than shep... wtf are you guys thinking about Lorne?
Ellis would be entirely retarded as the commander also

Tealc and Teyla are a no go because we wouldn't put an alien in charge of our guys.

Hammond or RDA would be totally awesome but 99.99999999 percent not gonna happen.

Weir wont be coming back...
Putting Becket in the lead position and keeping keller on would be cool to keep both of them but beckett has no qualifications to lead an expidition.

Robert Picardo is an awesome actor. but no way is his "Character" a fit as the lead of atlantis.

That leaves the only logical choices to be Daniel Jackson or General Landry.
although i dont particulary love Landry... atleast he would be bearable as compared to Caldwell/Lorn/Ellis/Woolsy. I hope its Daniel... He is the most like Weir... Compromising.. considering alternatives.. ethical... and speaking different languages and the abilites resolve conflicts.

COMON DANIEL

Killdeer
February 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
So it looks like people think the top candidates/probabilities are (in order):

1) Caldwell
2) Woolsey
3) Daniel
4) Ellis

Is that about right do you think?

jelgate
February 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I thought Weir had that going for her, too, though... ;)When push came to shove, Weir would shove back. I don't see Beckett doing that.

Jeffala
February 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I agree but those tests can easily be done on Atlantis as well & probably with baldy there to oversee them

But would the IOA consider him a security risk to Atlantis and allow him to remain?

erb
February 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Beckett in charge....

*eyes Brian* Don't mock my Beckett.

An AU where Carson was in the military and the other characters switched about as well would be fun.

JohnRico
February 2nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
But would the IOA consider him a security risk to Atlantis and allow him to remain?

Theyd have to kill John & Rodney & Telya first before the IOA ever never lets Carson return to Atlantis