Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes- Life on Mars spinoff (spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashes to Ashes- Life on Mars spinoff (spoilers)

Since the premiere date is set for 7 Feb (thanks for the info, siggy) I figured it was time to start a thread for it.

I loved Life on Mars and I can't wait to see how the sequel pans out. DI Hunt and the gang are back! Yay! And now we're into the eighties! Double yay! It'll be a good early birthday present for me.

is this a one-off or are there 13 eps as usual?
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

It's an 8 episode series, as with "Life on Mars", and I know Philip Glenister has said he'd do a second series if the BBC asked, but he won't do a third show (ie. set in the 1990's).
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

*blows kisses*
        thanks
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

...hoo! *continuing from old thread*

I fought the law and the law won. Looking forward to this!
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

So did anyone watch this on Thursday? I have to say it is no where near is good as Life on Mars but I thought it was pretty cool and I think it has loads of potential.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Yeah I watched it too, on the whole good, but definately something was a bit off with it. The repeat of some elements from Life on Mars was a bit blah (the distorted flashbacks, the talking tv, Alex "asking" to be transferred). Zippy and George's appearence I liked though.

The clown was interesting too, particularly the way he was hidden in the background a couple of times.

The breaking of Life on Mars Rule 1 really surprised me. In Life on Mars Sam was in every single shot. In Ashes to Ashes there were several scenes without Alex, proving once and for all that this is a solid world, that is not inside or created by Sam and Alex's craziness.

I also really wanted Alex to just shoot the guy that shot her, kill him, and avoid time travel. (though LoM kind of established that things don't change).

The vagueness about Sam kind of suggested to me that he's not dead at all, and left the door open for him to appear sometime if they want.

I'll keep watching, interested to see how it'll develop, hoping that it moves more into new territory as it goes on.
              I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Originally posted by cheese View Post
                Yeah I watched it too, on the whole good, but definately something was a bit off with it. The repeat of some elements from Life on Mars was a bit blah (the distorted flashbacks, the talking tv, Alex "asking" to be transferred). Zippy and George's appearence I liked though.

The clown was interesting too, particularly the way he was hidden in the background a couple of times.

The breaking of Life on Mars Rule 1 really surprised me. In Life on Mars Sam was in every single shot. In Ashes to Ashes there were several scenes without Alex, proving once and for all that this is a solid world, that is not inside or created by Sam and Alex's craziness.

I also really wanted Alex to just shoot the guy that shot her, kill him, and avoid time travel. (though LoM kind of established that things don't change).

The vagueness about Sam kind of suggested to me that he's not dead at all, and left the door open for him to appear sometime if they want.

I'll keep watching, interested to see how it'll develop, hoping that it moves more into new territory as it goes on.
                Indeed i felt the same as you. There was definatley something off about it. Perhaps it was the music which i think wasn't as good as life on mars, or the more up to date setting. It's kinda hard to tell. Certainly they didn't handle the bit where she wakes up in 81 as well as they did life on mars. but that was a tall order in the first place.

Comment

I thought the music choice was okay, it's just 80's music doesn't really fit the tone.

The Life on Mars transition was perfect, the song, the OMG this is all a bit odd.

Vienna was an awesome moment though. I've had it stuck in my head since.
                  I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Originally posted by cheese View Post
                    I thought the music choice was okay, it's just 80's music doesn't really fit the tone.

The Life on Mars transition was perfect, the song, the OMG this is all a bit odd.

Vienna was an awesome moment though. I've had it stuck in my head since.
                    yeah.

I did like the newspaper clipping about sam that gene keeps in his office too. It's a nice nod about the relationship those 2 had.

Comment

I didn't enjoy the first episode nearly as much as LoM, but since I've come to know the characters Gene, Ray and Chris, I'll definitely keep watching, especially since I felt like the latter two didn't get as much development as they could have. I'm not a particularly big 80's music fan, but otherwise I enjoyed seeing other aspects of 80's life, i.e. early computers and video tapes.

Overall, I don't think it'll be as good as Life on Mars and I think I'll always think of it as a separate entity, but I still think Ashes will be a show worth watching and better than most of the tv that's out there right now.

Fire up the Quattro!
                      Spoiler:
                      Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        Indeed i felt the same as you. There was definatley something off about it. Perhaps it was the music which i think wasn't as good as life on mars, or the more up to date setting. It's kinda hard to tell. Certainly they didn't handle the bit where she wakes up in 81 as well as they did life on mars. but that was a tall order in the first place.
                        It was too intrusive. I've only seen the first episode (taped the second though) and it was just used far too often. Every 15mins there was a jazzy tune randomly placed to make it feel "nostalgic". Didn't work at all.

Life On Mars had maybe one per episode that captured the essence of the episode/scene (whatever) perfectly. The one that jumps to mind was Ballroom Blitz playing as Gene reversed out of the alley. That was amazing! Ashes To Ashes... I remember recognising at least one song in the first ep, but i'll be damned if I can remember the artist let alone which scene it played over and that's only one week later. *shrugs*

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
                          It was too intrusive. I've only seen the first episode (taped the second though) and it was just used far too often. Every 15mins there was a jazzy tune randomly placed to make it feel "nostalgic". Didn't work at all.

Life On Mars had maybe one per episode that captured the essence of the episode/scene (whatever) perfectly. The one that jumps to mind was Ballroom Blitz playing as Gene reversed out of the alley. That was amazing! Ashes To Ashes... I remember recognising at least one song in the first ep, but i'll be damned if I can remember the artist let alone which scene it played over and that's only one week later. *shrugs*
                          You may be right. I do recognise most of the stuff in ashes to ashes but can't name it. But it was the same for life on mars for me.

Anyway I finally saw the latest ep and it was actually a lot of fun. Alex seems to be much more up beat than Sam was, possibly because alex understands alot more about what is going on.

Comment

I got to see LoM on BBC America-- are they going to show Ashes to Ashes??
                            "That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by docballen View Post
                              I got to see LoM on BBC America-- are they going to show Ashes to Ashes??
                              they most likely will at some point. What did you think to LoM?

Comment

Working...
                              X