Moving an active stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving an active stargate?

I couldn't find anywhere where this question has been answered, but if it has, then just tell me where and close the thread.
    When a wormholes active it needs to be in a small area, thats why in adrift and lifeline they couldn't dial out. What would happen if you put an active wormhole on a ship and then took it for a long trip, not neccasarily in hyperspace, would it even be able to go into hyperspace, possibly not because of the radiation caused by the gate.
    Any thoughts...?
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
    I couldn't find anywhere where this question has been answered, but if it has, then just tell me where and close the thread.
    When a wormholes active it needs to be in a small area, thats why in adrift and lifeline they couldn't dial out. What would happen if you put an active wormhole on a ship and then took it for a long trip, not neccasarily in hyperspace, would it even be able to go into hyperspace, possibly not because of the radiation caused by the gate.
    Any thoughts...?
    The gate would function perfectly as long as you stayed within the cube that represents that gate's address. Once you leave that, it will either 'roam' into the next address (providing there isn't already an active gate there) or it will lose the connection and disengage.
    And since when did Stargates emit radiation? That's a new one on me.

The reason they couldn't dial out in Lifeline & Adrift is because the gate needed to be calibrated to its new address. Chances are this is an Atlantis only requirement as we have seen gates and DHDs moved between planets before with no extra calibration required. It may even be something that all Pegasus gates need to go through, we don't know.

I don't think the fact that Atlantis was moving would really have any effect unless they were moving between addresses. We've seen gates activate on moving objects before ('Nemesis', 'The Serpent's Lair')

Comment

I thought the gates auto-calibrated, that update thing mentioned in avenger 2.0/Beach head. Beside as long as its an out-going wormhole it wouldn't matter given your targeting a pre-set point from a unique 'seventh symbol' (may be each time the gates activated, it updates it position to that gate which then pass that info on the next gate it dials so on and so on).

Comment

Well from what we saw in redemption the gate can be active in hyperspace though i dont think anyone would want to be traveling through it at that time.
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Well, I can make a phone call as long as I am connected to a phone line, right? What happens when I move to a place where that phone line gets cut off?

No more phone calls!

:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
            Well, I can make a phone call as long as I am connected to a phone line, right? What happens when I move to a place where that phone line gets cut off?

No more phone calls!

:-D
            As long as it is in its address area it will stay active. Once It is moved it would disengage.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
              The gate would function perfectly as long as you stayed within the cube that represents that gate's address. Once you leave that, it will either 'roam' into the next address (providing there isn't already an active gate there) or it will lose the connection and disengage.

The reason they couldn't dial out in Lifeline & Adrift is because the gate needed to be calibrated to its new address. Chances are this is an Atlantis only requirement as we have seen gates and DHDs moved between planets before with no extra calibration required. It may even be something that all Pegasus gates need to go through, we don't know.

I don't think the fact that Atlantis was moving would really have any effect unless they were moving between addresses. We've seen gates activate on moving objects before ('Nemesis', 'The Serpent's Lair')
              I shouldn't have said radiation, it creates interference and I wasn't sure if that would affect hyperspace, but evidently it doesn't. Also Rodney said he couldn't dail out because atlantis was moving too fast.
              Best quotes ever:
              O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
              Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
              Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
              O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

I heard that the 9th chevron will solve that, or that's what a declaration said. Still it's wierd, i mean if the 8th makes a connection with another gate sistem from a different galaxy, it stands to reason that the ninth makes something even more than that, like controlled time travel or whatever. Still i think that moving an active stargate will disconnect the worm-hole immediately. Maybe we'll learn later
                I find beer a refreshing substitute for ... food

Comment

stargates move all the time, the planet's spin and the orbital cycle all mean the it's in constant motion.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                    Well from what we saw in redemption the gate can be active in hyperspace though i dont think anyone would want to be traveling through it at that time.
                    In the end of season 1 they established that you can't open a Stargate in hyperspace. I didn't know they had changed that. I remember this from when Apophis ship entered hyperspace they couldn't dial out. The point of origin is then ivalidated. This is evidenced in the script and what we saw.

CARTER: "Or temporal displacement. Were traveling faster then light right?"

TEAL'C: "That is correct."

CARTER: "So the ship must have been in orbit around a planet when we gated here. Then it launched, or left orbit, which explains why we can't gate home."

JACKSON: "The point of origin isn't valid anymore."

CARTER: "Right!"
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                      Of course Stargates emit radiation. Everything with a temperature greater than 0 Kelvins would emit some kind of radiation. You and I are both emitting plenty of radiation in the infrared spectrum, that is why infrared cameras can detect hot bodies in the dark. We emit infrared radiation and the cameras pick up on it.

I recall them establishing early on that it takes massive amounts of energy to power up the Stargate. So, I'm sure it would emit a lot of energy (= radiation) as well!

I don't know if the "cube" thing regarding a stargate address is still valid. Yes, Daniel drew a cube in the movie, but there were some changes from movie to series. It's also kind of hard to represent so much space with so little symbols - it's one of the things that the show kind of ignores now (how chevrons correlate with actual coordinates). I've noticed that in the past few years, we hardly see the coordinates of planets anymore. We watched the chevron guy lock in each chevron one at a time a lot in the first few seasons!
                      sine sine cosine sine,
                      three point one four one five nine!
                      Originally posted by Brad Wright Q&A on Mallozzi's Blog
                      [in response to a question about fan reaction to SGA's cancellation]

Wright: You guys are actually pretty predictable (take no offense, most fan groups are). Unfortunately, you represent a very small portion of the actual viewing audience we need for financial success.
                      This is the reality. Accept it.

Comment

Even though they can't open up a wormhole in hyperspace because of Point of Origin being different, we have seen them move open stargates on more than one occasion like in Season 3 they activated a gate, shielded it and released into a trajectory to a star.
                        sigpic

Comment

the adresses represent quite a large section of space. so as long as you are in that space, you keep the connection.
                          atlantis couldnt dial from space because they didnt know were they were, and thus couldnt calculate the origin point. if they even were in the adress bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                            stargates move all the time, the planet's spin and the orbital cycle all mean the it's in constant motion.
                            But for one the gates are designed to deal with that constant movement, they aren't meant to be moving too quickly. Rodney said that the only reason he couldn't dial out was because atlantis was moving too fast, he could work out where he was, and from there figure out the point of origin.
                            Best quotes ever:

Comment

Working...
                            X