Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many galaxies has the SGC sent teams to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many galaxies has the SGC sent teams to?

In season 2 episode 14 ("Touchstone") SG-2's point of origin was galaxies away from Madrona. They mentioned this when they were trying to figure out who took the touchstone.
    My questions: What galaxy did SG2 return from. And how many other galaxies have we been too?

Teal'c made a mistake, SG-2 wouldn't have been in another galaxy.

Comment

pegasus & asguard galaxies

in s9 ep 1-3 their minds were in the ori galaxy

Spoiler:
      im sure its possible they go to the ori galaxy in the next movie, not sure though

Comment

Milky Way
        Pegasus
        Othella Galaxy?
        Random Sun-Exploding Galaxy
        Ori Galaxy

That's 5, I count?

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
          Othella Galaxy?
          I believe its called the Ida galaxy though I do remember that there was some debate here on whether the Asgard populated two galaxies or not.

Random Sun-Exploding Galaxy
          The Replicator episode? This might have been Ida.

In season 9 I think or might have been 10 of SG-1, it was said that Thor and Heimdall went to another galaxy. So thats another one there.

In the Stargate movie it was said that Abydos was in the Kalium galaxy but that doesnt count as the continuity has changed.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebeneezer_Goode View Post
            Yeah, that was back in the early years when Teal'c didn't know gate science to well, he originally called it magic remember? So I'm sure it was easy to mix up galaxies and planets back then. And remember, dialing another galaxy requires much more energy as well.

Vala,

Comment

The Asgard had hyperdrives that could cover 3 million light years in 5 minutes-they must have been to a great many galaxies during their history-saying this if the Asgard came back from these trips then they must have been relatively safe e.g. No Ori ,replicator type baddies

Comment

Othalla was a planet in the Ida galaxy.
                1. Ida
                2. MW
                3. Pegasus
                4. See spoiler.
                5. Possibly the "Enemies" galaxy, if different from Ida.

Spoiler:
                SG-1 visits the Ori home galaxy in Ark of Truth.

Comment

MW
                  PG
                  Ida

That's the three confirmed that have been explored.

But why can't we have a SG team going to Andromeda it's the closest galaxy to ours and who knows, I aways thought the Ancient have settled on more then one place. It would be very interesting if we found out that some of the Alterans in the MW decided to travel to Andromeda and some to Pegasus. Maybe they flourished there and are now even more advance then the Alterans, Lanteans and Asgard?

Or how about we discover that the Furlings have moved to a distant galaxy and we try to reach them and make contact with them?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                    Originally posted by Ebeneezer_Goode View Post
                    Yeah, that was back in the early years when Teal'c didn't know gate science to well, he originally called it magic remember? So I'm sure it was easy to mix up galaxies and planets back then. And remember, dialing another galaxy requires much more energy as well.

Vala,
                    Right, I prefer to think of it as an exaggeration, the way we say someone far away from us is miles away when they're really not. It's just a way to say they're really far away.
                    It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post

Vala,
                      I don't think it was until "Fifth Race" the fact that Sg-1 had only been exploring the Milky Way galaxy had been sort of "retconned".
                      In the movie, a technician claims Abydos is on the far side of the known universe!

Comment

Originally posted by tainor View Post
                        MW
                        PG
                        Ida

That's the three confirmed that have been explored.

But why can't we have a SG team going to Andromeda it's the closest galaxy to ours and who knows, I aways thought the Ancient have settled on more then one place. It would be very interesting if we found out that some of the Alterans in the MW decided to travel to Andromeda and some to Pegasus. Maybe they flourished there and are now even more advance then the Alterans, Lanteans and Asgard?
                        There are actually several galaxies closer than Andromeda, though most of them are dwarf galaxies. There is Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy (closest to Earth), Small Magellanic Cloud and Large Magellanic Cloud, as well as Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy (my pick for Ida Galaxy) are among the closest.
                        sigpic

Comment

Depends on your definition of "sent".

The Milky Way is obvious, as is Pegasus. In "The Fifth Race" O'Neill travelled to the Asgard home galaxy, which I believe was referred to as the "Ida Galaxy" in that episode. However, since O'Neill wasn't "sent" there, it doesn't count.

In "Unnatural Selection", SG-1 visited the Asgard galaxy with the SGC's blessing. Then it was referred to as the "Othalla Galaxy", with the planet being called "Halla". In "The Fifth Race" however, the planet itself had been referred to as "Othalla". My guess is that "Othalla" is the name of the planet itself, "Halla" is a nickname for said planet (to distinguish it from the Othalla Galaxy), and the "Othalla Galaxy" is the name of the galaxy that has Othalla in it. Othalla = Ida, essentially. It'd be a bit like referring to the Sol System as the "Terran System", because it has Terra (Earth) in it; presumably, the "Ori Home Galaxy" has a proper name as well.

Since I mentioned the Ori Home Galaxy, there's another one. So far no official team has been sent to that Galaxy; Daniel went in mind only, and Vala wasn't "sent" anywhere. However, Ark of Truth, spoilers, etc.

If you start counting parallel universes though, then technically speaking SGC representatives have been to a "parallel" Milky Way in "There But for the Grace of God" (by accident). That reality had an SGA rather than an SGC so sending Daniel back doesn't count; however, in "Ripple Effect" the black SG-1 was sent by its SGC to our galaxy, and to our Pegasus as well. We then sent them and all of the other versions of SG-1 back to their respective alternate Milky Way galaxies.

So, based on that, the SGC has officially "sent" people to the Milky Way, Pegasus, the Asgard Galaxy, the Ori Galaxy, and then all of the alternate Milky Way galaxies from "Ripple Effect", which clocks up to quite a high number!

With regards to the movie, Abydos' position was retconned for a good reason. The Stargate network uses constellations within our galaxy, and draws lines between them to make a box. (Cue clip if puppet Daniel)

Think about it: Only using those six symbols (plus the point of origin), how it is possible for the Stargate to define a positions outside of our galaxy, when star constellations are made up of visible stars inside this galaxy? Another galaxy is outside the box drawn by the symbols. It makes no sense (until the addition of the eighth chevron notion) for the gate network to be able to do that. Its a huge glaring error in the movie, right up there with "Lieutenant" Kawalsky wearing the rank insignia of a Lieutenant Colonel.

An interesting "Pegasus galaxy" fact - there are two galaxies in the constellation Pegasus: one is a Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy, while the other is a Dwarf Irregular Galaxy. However, in its on-screen depictions the galaxy show a spiral (which is what everyone imagines when you say "galaxy"). So, technically speaking, the Pegasus Galaxy from the series isn't actually real.

@Archaeis - right on there. The Milky Way is a galaxy in the Local Group, as is Pegasus, Andromeda, etc. The Milky Way and Andromeda (and possibly Triangulum) are the main gravitational centers, which have their own satellite galaxies. The Pegasus Galaxies are a satellites of the Andromeda Galaxy, while the Magellanic Clouds are satellites of the Milky Way, if memory serves.

With regards to your pick for the Ida Galaxy, how did you come up with that? Galaxies are named by us based on the Constellation they are within. I would have thought that either the first or last (seventh) symbol in Ida's gate address would correspond with the constellation that the Galaxy lies in. I'll have to check "Rising" again, and see where the Pegasus glyph falls in the gate address. Maybe there'll be a corresponding constellation for the Ida Galaxy that'll help us narrow down where it is?

@ All - sorry: I'm an annoying combination of a nerd and an Astrophysics student.
                          Captain Untouchable
                          Captain's Blog

Comment

I take back what I said: this galaxy and this one were "discovered" in 2006. Both are unbarred spiral galaxies in the constellation Pegasus.

Just shows how quickly science changes. When Atlantis came out, there were no known Spiral Galaxies in Pegasus, and it bugged me that "Rising", "No Man's Land" and "The Return" depicted Pegasus as a generic galaxy. However, science has now proved them right!
                            Captain Untouchable
                            Captain's Blog

Comment

SG Movie
                              Kaliem

SG-1:
                              Milky-Way (Obviously)
                              Ida (Asgard planet "Othala" not sure whether "Orilla" is in Ida or a different Galaxy)
                              Replicator Galaxy in "Enemies" - S05:01 (Damn! Those bugs travelled 4 million light-years to milky-way in a matter of hours )
                              Pegasus
                              Ori Galaxy

Plus: "Foothold" Aliens were theorized to be from another Galaxy even though they didn't explore it.

Comment

Working...
                              X