Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Hyperdrive Engines

I couldn't see this on the boards, so.

Just finished watching Space Race, and a question aoccured to me. Are the Hebridan ion drives a part of our ships? We got one in this episode, but we never really heard anything about them after that. Were they used on the Prometheus? Did we carry them over to the 304s, or did we go with Asgard sublights?
    It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

i think the prommie and deddy have some sort of chemical thrusters but yep we have not heard anything since then i'm sencing something anyone guess what ?

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by Opener View Post

Just finished watching Space Race, and a question aoccured to me. Are the Hebridan ion drives a part of our ships? We got one in this episode, but we never really heard anything about them after that. Were they used on the Prometheus? Did we carry them over to the 304s, or did we go with Asgard sublights?
      no, no, no, no. please follow my resonging/unresoning here for a second:

their VASMR plasma trusters, there's research into these already and i bet with stargate tech the finished them. besides, Promie's engines glow yellow

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
        i think the prommie and deddy have some sort of chemical thrusters but yep we have not heard anything since then i'm sencing something anyone guess what ?
        plot hole...? lol

Comment

Originally posted by CommanderThor11 View Post
          plot hole...? lol
          great guess lol

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by Opener View Post

I thought they were of goa'uld design, like their first hyperdrive.
            Best quotes ever:
            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
            Thor:I like the yellow ones
            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
              I thought they were of goa'uld design, like their first hyperdrive.
              they use inercialees systems on their motherships as far as we know.

Comment

I'm sure that they said that the planet was Oried.

Comment

what more do we need to know other than it goes 60% c, Aurora + ZPM goes 99.9995%c.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                    what more do we need to know other than it goes 60% c, Aurora + ZPM goes 99.9995%c.
                    How do you know it goes 60% c? Also, I think it was an alkesh engine, but I don't really remember.
                    Best quotes ever:
                    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

They never used it. Either they didn't figure it out completely or it went the way of the Asgard weapons on the Prometheus and was forgotten about.

Vala,

Comment

lol, the hyperspace drive is simply it's propulsion system boosted by a gravitational bubble which is what makes it drop down into sub-space. The propulsion system uses gravitophotons (gravitons which are repulsive and give a force if strong enough pushing away any object close to light speed).

With this you can estimate the speed of a ship using this system of a hyperspace drive:

First you'd need to know what gravitational effect your bubble will have to the speed of the ship. Then you'd need to know what speed the gravitophoton drive would travel at. And finally the distance in sub-space compared to normal spacetime.

First you'd have the gravitophoton drive pushing the ship close to light speed (sub-light/full-light drives) then you'd start your gravitational bubble and make it act like a warp bubble. Finally power up the gravitational bubble enough to actually drop you down into sub-space. And in Lamons terms:
                        SPINACH!

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                          How do you know it goes 60% c? Also, I think it was an alkesh engine, but I don't really remember.
                          Some stargate magazine and the omnipedia both say it
                          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                            Some stargate magazine and the omnipedia both say it
                            I really need to start buying those.
                            Best quotes ever:

Comment

Most likely they're inertial fusion engines - the real life Daedalus, a British Interplanetary Society design in the 1970s, would have used tiny pellets of deuterium / helium-3 fuel which lasers or particle accelerators would condense into a hot, dense plasma, you get a miniature nuclear fusion explosion, and the large rocket nozzle shaped engine bell (Prometheus's engines are near perfect shape for this, and the throbbing light and sound indicates a pulsed propulsion system) electromagnetically redirects the blast in a useful direction, i.e. backwards.

This is a real world propulsion design that we're just not quite capable of yet, and it would be capable of speeds up to 12% light speed (in two stages, with most of the mass of the ship taken up by engine and fuel) and accelerations that could turn any crew (BIS Daedalus was an unmanned probe though) into a smooth red smear on the back wall. But add in some nifty bits of alien tech and you might be able to get something like the Prometheus, i.e. antigravity systems that essentially neutralise a lot of the mass, eject the fusion exhaust with a hell of a lot more force or just get a bigger bang (naquada-enhanced fuel pellets?!?)...and inertial dampeners / artificial gravity to counter the massive acceleration.

Daedalus-class ships might have the same engines, but the weird design of the exhaust could suggest some kind of baffle or stealth system design, something to disperse or neutralise the plasma ejected out of the ship.

Incidentally, the Ion Thruster name could be the same thing given a Politically Correct spin. Anything with nuclear in the name isn't popular, possibly even in military circles, so the engines could be called Ion Thrusters, which they technically are cos the exhaust is a hot ion cloud, the same way some Nuclear Fusion reactor designs are called Plasma Electric Generators.
                              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Working...
                              X