PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do You Want Larrin in Season 5?

Redhooks
January 15th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I have seen a lot of posts over the last few days about Larrin and I thought a poll would be interesting to see if people want Larrin back for at least one episode in season 5. I didn't want just a simple yes or no poll, but one that might show some trends as to what type of member would or would not want to see Larrin back. I tried to get a mix of types of posters without having too many choices.
Here are the choices for do you want to see Larrin back in season 5:

Female, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes
Female, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - No
Female, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Don't Care

Female, Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes
Female, Sheppard shipper with someone else - No
Female, Sheppard shipper with someone else - Don't Care

Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes
Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - No
Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Don't Care

Male, Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes
Male, Sheppard shipper with someone else - No
Male, Sheppard shipper with someone else - Don't Care

Thanks in advance for your input!

I have requested the mods make this a poll

jenks
January 15th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - No.

PG15
January 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM

I love her banter with Shep, so sue me.

jenks
January 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM
My lawyers will be in touch.

PG15
January 15th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Understood.

Fenrir Foxz
January 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - No.

:indeed:

My lawyers will be in touch.

Understood.

:lol:

Tupopoflungo
January 15th, 2008, 11:38 PM

I agree

Opener
January 16th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I don't give a flying X who's she's with, I'd like to see her back.

Fenrir Foxz
January 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I don't give a flying X who's she's with, I'd like to see her back.

That's a colorful way of putting it but I agree...

Linzi
January 16th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I have seen a lot of posts over the last few days about Larrin and I thought a poll would be interesting to see if people want Larrin back for at least one episode in season 5. I didn't want just a simple yes or no poll, but one that might show some trends as to what type of member would or would not want to see Larrin back. I tried to get a mix of types of posters without having too many choices.

Red, I'm not sure my choice is there? And so I'm getting confused :o

I'm: Female, non-shipper, who doesn't care about shipping as long as it's not rammed down my throat, who is happy to see Larrin back.

Er, where do I fit in your poll? :confused:

Opener
January 16th, 2008, 03:18 AM

I'm: Female, non-shipper, who doesn't care about shipping as long as it's not rammed down my throat, who is happy to see Larrin back.

With me and Fen! We don't care about the particulars, who you're with and who you're not. We'd just like to see Larrin return.:)

p-pos
January 16th, 2008, 03:51 AM

aaobuttons
January 16th, 2008, 03:59 AM

prion
January 16th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Argh, too many choices. How about yes, no, maybe.... ;)

Anyway, no, they can deepsix Larrin out the airlock as she's not a very deep character. Sure, she wears low-cut black leather well (and uses that to her advantage) but otherwise, meh, no, let's kill her off (instead of any of our regulars or recurring folk) and get in a new leader for the Travelers.

Linzi
January 16th, 2008, 05:10 AM
With me and Fen! We don't care about the particulars, who you're with and who you're not. We'd just like to see Larrin return.:)
:lol: But which option do I choose? Am I misunderstanding the options? I do find them a little confusing, but I think that could be just me!

blue-skyz
January 16th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Sue me too! (Female)

That’s a great way of expressing what I think about shipping: Live and let live and leave me alone.;)

Female, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else – Yes – Definitely! :)

DarkAngel34994
January 16th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Darien
January 16th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Don't care about shipping just want Larrin back. Good character IMO.

SMB_BOOKS
January 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I'm also confused. Sorry - not enough caffeine yet today.

What option do I pick when my response to "Do You Want Larrin In Season 5?" is a resounding "NO" :)

Nikki
January 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I saw chemistry between Shep/Weir but am not an avid shipper and never want to see Larrin back - she annoyed me. :mckay:

Ruffles
January 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Female, non-shipper. I'm like Linzi and blue-skyz, I don't really care about ship, but I like the fact that Larrin rattles Shep - keeps him off-balance. I"m certainly not adverse to the idea of toning down the overt sexualness. Make her a little more real, more sympathetic, but bring her back.

Killdeer
January 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Female, non-shipper. I'm like Linzi and blue-skyz, I don't really care about ship, but I like the fact that Larrin rattles Shep - keeps him off-balance. I"m certainly not adverse to the idea of toning down the overt sexualness. Make her a little more real, more sympathetic, but bring her back.

I agree with Ruffles. I wasn't too happy with the way she was presented in BAMSR, but I still think the character has possibilities, and yes, I too like the way she keeps Shep off-balance. :) So,

female, non-Sheppard shipper with someone else, yes.

gater101
January 16th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I'm a John/Teyla shipper but would love to see Larrin come back. Didn't particularly like her character, but I like her character in relation to Shepp... totally sends him off balance... anyone else think he just lets her kidnap him and tie him up?

Padme18
January 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I hate Larrin. I want Shep and Teyla together.

Redhooks
January 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Argh, too many choices. How about yes, no, maybe.... ;)

Anyway, no, they can deepsix Larrin out the airlock as she's not a very deep character. Sure, she wears low-cut black leather well (and uses that to her advantage) but otherwise, meh, no, let's kill her off (instead of any of our regulars or recurring folk) and get in a new leader for the Travelers.

:lol: But which option do I choose? Am I misunderstanding the options? I do find them a little confusing, but I think that could be just me!

I'm also confused. Sorry - not enough caffeine yet today.

What option do I pick when my response to "Do You Want Larrin In Season 5?" is a resounding "NO" :)
Sorry if I confused people, but I was trying to see if a trend could be made with people's choices based on their gender and whether or not they Ship (or Slash, my mistake for not putting that down but just consider ship synonmous with slash for this poll) with another character. I was going to double the choices by adding happy with season 4 or not, but that would have been too many choices. My goal was to have more of a survey than a poll where the answers included demographic info about the people who voted. I was trying to see if some assumptions I have heard stated were true about whether people would like Larrin based on gender and if they ship/slash Sheppard with someone else. I was trying to do a more scientific poll, but could have worded the choices better. :o

For Linzi - You would be a Female, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes

For SMB_Books - You would be a Female, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - No or a Female, Sheppard shipper with someone else - No based on whether you are a shipper of Sheppard or not. I understand that you would vote no, but I was trying to see if being a shipper influenced the choice people make.

A poll like this is not useful to me unless it can tell something about who the people are who voted. I even thought about adding age ranges, but that would have really been too many choices. :lol:

Thanks again for all your input and those who will vote in the future!!

VSS
January 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Um, why couldn't we have her back without Larrin being shipped off with someone? Couldn't she be an equal-opportunity sexual harasser? She's the commander of spaceship crawling with men, after all.

Not that I like her, or anything. But why no female Kirks? I should think that road runs both ways, or is her sole purpose just to be a slightly more sophisticated version of Vala?

EDIT: Actually, I do think I could like her if she were a female Kirk, and if we could see her kill some more aliens. But no shipping.

idlewild202
January 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM

That pretty much sums it up. I like the travelers, would like to see more of them, but really... if Larrin never shows up again, oh well. If she does, well... then that's fine too :)

SMB_BOOKS
January 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
For SMB_Books - You would be a Female, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - No or a Female, Sheppard shipper with someone else - No based on whether you are a shipper of Sheppard or not. I understand that you would vote no, but I was trying to see if being a shipper influenced the choice people make.

AHA - now I get it. Thank you!

stclare
January 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
female non shipper with a big fat hairy no, to larrin

err i think?

Killdeer
January 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Um, why couldn't we have her back without Larrin being shipped off with someone? Couldn't she be an equal-opportunity sexual harasser? She's the commander of spaceship crawling with men, after all.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think Redhooks is asking about who Larrin is being shipped with. He's just asking us to vote, and say who we are. Male or female, and do we ship Sheppard with someone (Elizabeth, Teyla, McKay, etc) or not.

Redhooks
January 16th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Uh, wouldn't a straight yes or no have been a little easier?

Big fat no from me, anyway.
Easier yes, but way less interesting to me since it tells me nothing. Sorry about the complexity, but I deal with data everyday in my job and it is useless data unless it can be narrowed down to seeing if trends appear. The intention of the poll was to be more scientific in the approach and I am sorry if you don't agree.
Thanks for your input though!

Redhooks
January 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think Redhooks is asking about who Larrin is being shipped with. He's just asking us to vote, and say who we are. Male or female, and do we ship Sheppard with someone (Elizabeth, Teyla, McKay, etc) or not.
Thanks for making my verbose answer so concise and to the point!

erb
January 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Easier yes, but way less interesting to me since it tells me nothing. Sorry about the complexity, but I deal with data everyday in my job and it is useless data unless it can be narrowed down to seeing if trends appear. The intention of the poll was to be more scientific in the approach and I am sorry if you don't agree.
Thanks for your input though!

Although I had to reread the choices a few times to make sure I placed myself in the correct category, this poll is more informative than a simple yes/no one would be and more interesting to me. Or, in other words, I'm agreeing with you. :p

Suzotchka
January 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Larrin in S5 - I hope NOT!

ciannwn
January 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Larrin makes me think of a female semi-villain from a third rate comic book. I can't believe in her as the Traveller leader at all. How did she get the job? Did the male Travellers vote for which girl they thought looked best in a low cut leather top and will she get replaced once she reaches an age where her physical charms get past their sell by date?

Linda06
January 16th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Ugh,heck no...No way....I sure hope not!!!http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/Linda0606/zuz%20Smileys/Atlantis%20Smileys/cantstandLarrin.gif

Mitchell82
January 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Am I the only one that is very confused with this poll? I'm not a Shepard shipper but like Larrin and would love to see her return.

Ruined_puzzle
January 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Redhooks
January 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Am I the only one that is very confused with this poll? I'm not a Shepard shipper but like Larrin and would love to see her return.You would vote for: Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes

To get people's answer based on certain criteria would have been easier in a survey of three questions, but the polls on here don't support this method and I had to improvise. Since you have three questions with two having two possible answers and the other with three possible answers, the poll had to consist of all the possible combinations (twelve in total) of the answers to the three questions.
The survey would have looked like:

1) Gender

Female or Male
2) Sheppard Shipper with anyone other than Larrin

Yes or No
3) Want to See Larrin back in Season 5

Yes, No, or Don't Care

Mitchell82
January 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
You would vote for: Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes

To get people's answer based on certain criteria would have been easier in a survey of three questions, but the polls on here don't support this method and I had to improvise. Since you have three questions with two having two possible answers and the other with three possible answers, the poll had to consist of all the possible combinations (twelve in total) of the answers to the three questions.

1) Gender

Female or Male

Yes or No

Yes, No, or Don't Care

Thanks. It was a bit confusing.

bluealien
January 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Still confused.. it's been a long day ...

can I just say I don't want her back..

Killdeer
January 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Still confused.. it's been a long day ...

can I just say I don't want her back..

So you would be:

Female (your gender), Sheppard shipper with someone else (Teyla) - No(you don't want Larrin back).

Make sense?

NinaM
January 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Female, Sheppard shipper with someone else - no

Can't stand that woman.. she only makes him look pathetic.. as a strong leader she sure doesn't impress me,, the only thing I feel she is doing is flaunting her assets and make stupid sexual comments to get what she want... I really don't see any use for her at all...

Jumper_One
January 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks. It was a bit confusing.

I didn't like her in Travelers, BAMSR was a better ep. on the other hand I don't really care for this character so it wouldn't bother me that much if she'll be back in s5

sueKay
January 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
zis poll is vewy confuseeng

Jumper_One
January 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM
zis poll is vewy confuseeng

just choose male/female, shipper/non-shipper and if you'd like Larrin back (yes/no/don't care). I hope I'm right :S

sueKay
January 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah I figured it out, but still confusing lol!

Jumper_One
January 16th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah I figured it out, but still confusing lol!

yeah this could've been a much simpler poll

marielabbott
January 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Female, non-Sheppard shipper--NO! I cannot take Larrin seriously after the eps we've seen her in, and by this time I really dislike her. I wouldn't mind seeing other Travelers though.

Arica12
January 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I voted for no ship though to be honest I wouldn't mind if they got him back together with his former wife. Finishes the whole Sheppard/Weir/Teyla/Carter/Keller/Randon Ascendant/Random Female Priestess/Random Female with pulse (delete as appropriate) nonsense and set up some lovely angst when the Trust kill her during the obligatory trip back to Earth in Season 5:)

Vala_M
January 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I hope she's back, it's nice to see a woman who doesn't fall for Sheppard. It improves the way women are presented on the show.

Vala,

symbioticworld
January 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
NO!!!!!!! They put her in sexy clothes (not a problem, I understand what the focus group is), but then instead of writing sexy dialogue for her (or even to make her sound strong, like the leader she's supposed to be), they just make her witchy and nasty. It's not sexy or funny. How can they expect anyone to find that desirable? Carter and Weir are sexy without the need to be nasty. Did I miss a life lesson somewhere along the line?

VSS
January 17th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Well, then it's an oxymoron to put "non-Sheppard shipper with someone else." Because A. He's not being shipped and therefore B. can't be with someone else. Unless the someone else is, in each case, Larrin. I don't get it.

prion
January 17th, 2008, 06:04 AM
NO!!!!!!! They put her in sexy clothes (not a problem, I understand what the focus group is), but then instead of writing sexy dialogue for her (or even to make her sound strong, like the leader she's supposed to be), they just make her witchy and nasty. It's not sexy or funny. How can they expect anyone to find that desirable? Carter and Weir are sexy without the need to be nasty. Did I miss a life lesson somewhere along the line?

TV writers live in a different reality ;)

I think what I dislike about Larrin is that she's smug, virtually all of the time. Plus the fact that instead of talking to Sheppard first, she proceeds to have her thugs work him over. I mean, what kind of a leader is that?

ciannwn
January 17th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Well, then it's an oxymoron to put "non-Sheppard shipper with someone else." Because A. He's not being shipped and therefore B. can't be with someone else. Unless the someone else is, in each case, Larrin. I don't get it.

I took it to mean that a non-Sheppard shipper with someone else won't be objecting to Larrin for the sole reason they want Sheppard with Teyla or Carter for example.

blue-skyz
January 17th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I think what I dislike about Larrin is that she's smug, virtually all of the time.
That’s the best description of her I’ve seen. We’ve mostly only seen her with Sheppard, though. She seems to act differently with her own people. IMO, Larrin has her own agenda.

I think the Travelers are the first truly interesting group of people that they have found in Pegasus. Sheppard needs to maintain an alliance with them and, for now, that means getting along with Larrin. But Larrin is playing him. My guess is he knows that she is playing him; he just isn’t sure why or how to handle her. She may be attractive, but he’s not stupid and he’s not Kirk. He is treading a mine field where she’s concerned. He doesn’t understand her motivation; he doesn’t understand much of anything about her. He clearly has the good sense to be wary (afraid) of her. It is Sheppard’s uncertainty and confusion warring with his usual self confidence (cockiness?) and the imperative of the situation that keeps him off balance and gives his reactions to Larrin so much texture and humor. Where others see him acting juvenilely, I see him acting entirely appropriately for the situation and his history with her (this is being (over) played for humor).

So… I want to learn more about and see more of Larrin, especially, Sheppard trying to figure out how to deal with her. JF plays it so well. ;)

wheresmyfroggy
January 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
God no! Every time she shows up on screen, I reach for my nerf gun and shoot myself in the face. Because doing that is more fun than watching whatever scene she happens to be in. Ugh.

ToasterOnFire
January 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I don't like Sheppers, ergo I don't ship him with anyone. I voted NO, as I find Larrin to be an all around waste of space and worse, yet another in a long string of women who have been objectified by TPTB. :mckay:

Mitchell82
January 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM

I didn't like her in Travelers, BAMSR was a better ep. on the other hand I don't really care for this character so it wouldn't bother me that much if she'll be back in s5

Oh no! You and I disagree! It must be Ragnarok!;)

Fenrir Foxz
January 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Oh no! You and I disagree! It must be Ragnarok!;)

:lol: that's my Q to wreak havoc! Odin beware:P

Mitchell82
January 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
:lol: that's my Q to wreak havoc:P

Uh oh.............. I better run :vortex04:;)

Fenrir Foxz
January 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Uh oh.............. I better run :vortex04:;)

To be honest I'm more concerned with having Weir back in S5 but I wouldn't mind Larrin making a return visit to Atlantis...

Mitchell82
January 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM

To be honest I'm more concerned with having Weir back in S5 but I wouldn't mind Larrin making a return visit to Atlantis...

What do you actually mean by being concerned about Weir. Do you want her back or not? I can't remember way too many viewpoints on that. As to the topic I agree.

Fenrir Foxz
January 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
What do you actually mean by being concerned about Weir. Do you want her back or not? I can't remember way too many viewpoints on that. As to the topic I agree.

Oh sorry, what i mean is I'm thinking more about Weir's return *If/When/How* than Larrin appearing in S5, but I do want to see here make some appearance...

That final scene from BAMSR is still fresh in my mind...

Mitchell82
January 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Oh sorry, what i mean is I'm thinking more about Weir's return *If/When/How* than Larrin appearing in S5, but I do want to see here make some appearance...

That final scene from BAMSR is still fresh in my mind...

Ah ok got it. Yeah it's still on my mind too.

Redhooks
January 19th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Some trends so far:
-More females voted than males with more than half voting no and the no votes were about even between shippers and non-shippers.

-Males were about even with yes and no.

Interesting. :)

Bagpuss
January 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Female.Non Shep-shipper with anyone .I don't want her back at all.

She adds nothing of value to the show ,IMO,and it takes a helluva lot more than a skimpy leather outfit and a perma-sneer for a character to be a good leader ,or to impress me .
Personally,I think she puts herself first ,not her people ,and I would trust her as far as I could spit her ,if I were Sheppard.

(Whatever the result of this poll,I expect Larrin back in S5.The PTB like her too much !)

wraithlord
January 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I love Larrin i thought she was great in Travelers and B.A.M.S.R and i hope she comes back in Season 5.:)

Mitchell82
January 20th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I love Larrin i thought she was great in Travelers and B.A.M.S.R and i hope she comes back in Season 5.:)

Same here.

Platschu
January 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM
She will be inThe Last Man too, won't it?

SeaBee
January 20th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Female.Non Shep-shipper with anyone .I don't want her back at all.

She adds nothing of value to the show ,IMO,and it takes a helluva lot more than a skimpy leather outfit and a perma-sneer for a character to be a good leader ,or to impress me .
Personally,I think she puts herself first ,not her people ,and I would trust her as far as I could spit her ,if I were Sheppard.

That goes for me too. I don't care how revealing the costume is, if a character doesn't work for me then I really struggle with them. As far as I can see the character is eye candy for the boys.

(Whatever the result of this poll,I expect Larrin back in S5.The PTB like her too much !)

I think you're right about this, too, more's the pity.:(

Jackie
January 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM

all those answers are too confusing.

out of yes, no or maybe...NO.

The character is clich'e and just plain obnoxious.

Redhooks
January 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
all those answers are too confusing.

out of yes, no or maybe...NO.

The character is clich'e and just plain obnoxious.
If it is too confusing, here is a post I made to try and explain my reasoning for the way I made up the twelve possible answers for the poll which I should have included in my original post. Hopefully it will explain it better to future readers of this thread.

1) Gender

Female or Male

Yes or No

Yes, No, or Don't Care

Kliggins
January 20th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Let me just say not no, but heck no!!!!!!

Col.Foley
January 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Is it too much for me just to want her back?

Bagpuss
January 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM
She will be inThe Last Man too, won't it?
Not sure.I couldn't see anything under the GW ep section on the homepage ,but it's quite possible I missed that snippet elsewhere.:S

I think you're right about this, too, more's the pity.:(
Ah well.if I'm right, then that's what the ff button on the remote is for ! ;)

Let me just say not no, but heck no!!!!!!
LOL ! :D So that's be a big "no" to Larrin returning in S5 ,from another female ,non Sheppard Shipper with others then ? ;)

*Runs away from The Wrath Of Kliggins ( T.M.)*

Redhooks
January 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Not sure.I couldn't see anything under the GW ep section on the homepage ,but it's quite possible I missed that snippet elsewhere.:S
People who went to the Burbank Stargate convention in November said...
Joe Flanigan mentioned that Larrin would be returning in The Last Man and that is where this info/rumor came from. It could just be that it is a clip of her as there have been reports of a montage scene in the episode and since, as you mentioned, there has been no official confirmation of her being in the episode.

Bagpuss
January 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Righto ! Thanks for posting that source and info.:)

pristinaheather
January 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
there will never be any permanent relationships in this universe without someone dying, so it doesn't really matter. i think its more likely that she will betray atlantis in some way, or her people will be wiped out like all the other advanced races the stargate program allies itself with.

Redhooks
January 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
If the rumor going around that Virgin 1 in the UK plans to make a second season of Blade: The Series to be filmed for broadcast by the end of this year, this poll may be mute. It may make Jill Wagner unavailable to shoot any SGA episodes unless they are at the beginning of the shooting schedule. The rumor is from a posting on wikipedia so I don't know if the info has any credibility, but here is the quote:

On January 23rd a spokesperson from virgin 1 has stated that virgin 1 will be carrying on the series for a second season and that the first episode will be aired later this year. Although not much is known at this point and it is not clear if kirk jones will be returning for season 2, the series will apparently have a lot more action than the first and it is possible that some characters from the film series may make cameos.

It is from this page: Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade:_The_Series#Ratings_and_cancellation)

BubblingOverWithIdeas
January 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I don't want to see Larrin back if her relationship with Sheppard will be kept as it is now, i.e. lots of innuendo and a childish avoidance of actual discussion of sex or romance.

smushybird
January 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I'm female and do not 'ship Sheppard (well, with anyone other than McKay :D) and I do NOT want to ever see Larrin again. She's just another completely stereotyped female sf character, so predictable and uninteresting that it makes me wince and groan just to see her onscreen. We've seen her exact character, right down to uniform and hair, etc, in a million other sf movies and TV shows. I'm sick to death of her, personally.

If TPTB would like to create a new and interesting potential 'ship for Sheppard, I am more than willing to give her a chance. I think the writers could probably write an interesting and unique female character if they put forth some conscious effort. Sam is the best they've done so far. The rest of the Stargate women are very one-note (Vala was improving in the last few eps, developing into a complex woman) and generally come across as the teen-male-fantasy bimbos, all hair, boobs, guns, and leather. Larrin is flavorless. :p It makes me think less of Sheppard to see him drooling after her.

eta - In regard to your poll set-up, I'd guess there are at least some Sheppard shippers who would like to see Larrin come back for the sole reason of stirring jealousy in Teyla or whomever else said viewer ships with Sheppard. You know, as further evidence that Teyla or whomever else is secretly really in love with Sheppard and the threat of Shep's interest in Larrin would make for some angsty ship fanfic. :D

SG13-NightOps
January 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Female - Non Shep Ship: Period! No.

The kirking must stop.

ciannwn
January 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM
She's just another completely stereotyped female sf character, so predictable and uninteresting that it makes me wince and groan just to see her onscreen.

I asked my husband what he thought of Larrin and his reply was "A stock warrior princess. Over the top and in your face."

He can't vote because he's not a member of these forums but he's a 'Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - No'

Leliana McKay
January 29th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I don't like her character. She doesn't bring anything new to Sheppard's character developement. John is still kirking around so Larrin is not really a great asset to the story. But as some said, I suspect she will be back next season.

tombraider
January 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM
It seems that for now only about 29% polled want Larrin back. With over 55% not wanting her back at all. I wish more people participated and writers listened. Larrin is horrible. Sure, she looks slutty, but as a character she is a walking stereotype. This is a typical bad writing case here. Could not they come up with someone clever and unusual, with an interesting back story (which need not get developed right away, but has a potential)? b itch busting out of totally impractical leather is just getting on my nerves every time I see her. Travelers was the only episode I never wanted to rewatch.
How's that for Travelers line development,
1. Larrin in killed off, unrest ensues, they disappear to sort it out or after the sorting out new person is a better character.
2. They just disappear. And Athosians come back, cause I like them a lot better.

Missster.Freeman
January 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Male, Non-Shep shipper, non-shipper. Totally, completely and absolutely a non-shipper.

Not into 'ships unless the relationship is an integral part of the show, like Sheridan and Delenn in Babylon 5, for example.

Do I want to see Larrin back, verbally sparring with Shep? Yes indeedy. :)

Uh ah erm... what option do I go for?

PG15
January 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
"Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes"

Just like me. ;)

Missster.Freeman
January 29th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Done! Thanks, PG15. :)

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
January 29th, 2008, 02:41 PM
In a word, NO!

AutumnDream
January 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I can't make sense of the poll options. ~_~

Which option means "I never want to see her again or hear her mentioned"?

Jumper_One
January 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I can't make sense of the poll options. ~_~

Which option means "I never want to see her again or hear her mentioned"?

just choose male/female, shipper/non-shipper and if you'd like Larrin back (yes/no/don't care)

Detox
January 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
What ever happened to just yes or no?

I pick no.

atlantis_babe34
January 29th, 2008, 11:08 PM

i don't even see the point why they introduced her..

Jumper_One
January 30th, 2008, 05:58 PM

i don't even see the point why they introduced her..

TBTB introduced her because we needed the Travelers in BAMSR and they may be a future ally of Atlantis ;)

Fenrir Foxz
January 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM
TBTB introduced her because we needed the Travelers in BAMSR and they may be a future ally of Atlantis ;)

Yeah I agree...
It would be nice if next time we see Larrin she has a bit more depth and backstory... nothing against the character I just think there is more to her than just what we've see so far and it would probably help her image if she was given more depth IMO...

gopher65
February 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
I feel that those answers were poorly worded and didn't give any real choices.

What if I don't give a hoot about shipping/notshipping one way or the other (most sane people don't), but I wouldn't mind seeing her back? There's no answer for that.

jenks
February 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I feel that those answers were poorly worded and didn't give any real choices.

What if I don't give a hoot about shipping/notshipping one way or the other (most sane people don't), but I wouldn't mind seeing her back? There's no answer for that.

PG15
February 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Then you'd be:

"Male, Non-Sheppard shipper with someone else - Yes"

Replace "Male" with "Female" if you're female, obviously.

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
I like Larrin, but not overly. Moreover, I like the idea behind the Travellers; Larrin as a character is... mediocre, though the actress brings her to life rather nicely.

The chemistry between John and she, I feel, is rather forced.

Mitchell82
February 2nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah I agree...
It would be nice if next time we see Larrin she has a bit more depth and backstory... nothing against the character I just think there is more to her than just what we've see so far and it would probably help her image if she was given more depth IMO...

Agreed. So far I like her but more development is needed.

nx01a
February 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
[This'll come out harsh, so forgive me in advance...]

I think the concept of the Travelers is ridiculously farfetched [Genii I can happily deal with, but hyperdrive...] and her character as the sexy bad@$$ commander whose sexual tension with one of our good guys could be cut with Ronon's sword is more than a bit derivative and cliche. I want to see her return if only to see Weir/Wraith/a black hole slowly and mercilessly destroy her and her people in as great cgi detail as tptb can muster and afford.

That'd be a 'No'.:P

Amaunet
February 2nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Ah i chose the wrong one *headslap*
I meant Yes

Bagpuss
February 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
LOL ! Don't worry.Nobody's going to punish you for a finger slip ,Amaunet !
OK..I stopped giggling.I've done the same kind of thing myself ,so I had no right to laugh.:o

I think if you want your vote to be transferred to the option you wanted,a Moderator can do it for you if you either pm one of them ,or report your own post.:)

miju
February 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
okay maybe I'm slow witted because it's late here but what if I don't want to see Larrin return at all? which option do I choose?

Bagpuss
February 2nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hi miju ! There wasn't a "Just no " option offered in the poll ,so just vote for " Your gender-whether you want Shep in a relationship-no".:)

Aethon
February 3rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Well, shes really annoying so, no, unless she has less clothes.... hmm

Stef
February 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
I'm a Sheppard-shipper but honestly, if Larrin was even remotely well-written or acted...or had ANY chemistry with Shep, I wouldn't care. Unfortunately for her, she has none of those things going for her so....NO, I don't want any more of her in S5.

-Stef

Mitchell82
February 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
I'm a Sheppard-shipper but honestly, if Larrin was even remotely well-written or acted...or had ANY chemistry with Shep, I wouldn't care. Unfortunately for her, she has none of those things going for her so....NO, I don't want any more of her in S5.

-Stef

While I don't want her shipped with him she is still a good character IMO.

Stef
February 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
To each their own. I've been waiting for her to do something (anything) to impress me but instead I've only grown more and more agitated by her character. But if the writers or the actress can turn this character around, then I wouldn't mind her sticking around. Until that point, I maintain my previous statement.

Perhaps I wouldn't mind her as much if they weren't continuously shoving her and Shep down my throat. The fact that I see no chemistry there and he's the only one she seems to share scenes with is not helping.

-Stef

Mitchell82
February 3rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
To each their own. I've been waiting for her to do something (anything) to impress me but instead I've only grown more and more agitated by her character. But if the writers or the actress can turn this character around, then I wouldn't mind her sticking around. Until that point, I maintain my previous statement.

Perhaps I wouldn't mind her as much if they weren't continuously shoving her and Shep down my throat. The fact that I see no chemistry there and he's the only one she seems to share scenes with is not helping.

-Stef
Well as you said to each their own. Personally I don't feel like they have shoved her down our throats.

miju
February 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hi miju ! There wasn't a "Just no " option offered in the poll ,so just vote for " Your gender-whether you want Shep in a relationship-no".:)

sorry F.H. - no can do.

I think Sheppard should have ejected Larrin out an airlock (or at least evacuated the atmosphere in the room where she was on the Lantean ship) - when he had the chance.

txTart
February 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM

Agreed. If she might have some interaction with other members of the expedition, she might be more interesting. As it is, she's something of a one note character.

Bagpuss
February 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
sorry F.H. - no can do.

I think Sheppard should have ejected Larrin out an airlock (or at least evacuated the atmosphere in the room where she was on the Lantean ship) - when he had the chance.
ROTFL ! During Travelers ,I had a very similar desire .:D

Sometimes the urge to airlock gets in the way of me trying to give new characters a chance.....

Edited to add link : http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5554

Stef
February 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Agreed. If she might have some interaction with other members of the expedition, she might be more interesting. As it is, she's something of a one note character.

Exactly. And therein lies the problem. She's more of an idea/concept than an actual character, in my opinion.

-Stef

MediumMediumer
February 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I think the fact that Sheppard saw something in her... or else felt something, who knows what, merits her return. (Please keep in mind that I'm trying to ignore the fact that all the women John meets are gone before the next episode lol)

Reiko
February 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
[This'll come out harsh, so forgive me in advance...]

I think the concept of the Travelers is ridiculously farfetched [Genii I can happily deal with, but hyperdrive...] and her character as the sexy bad@$$ commander whose sexual tension with one of our good guys could be cut with Ronon's sword is more than a bit derivative and cliche. I want to see her return if only to see Weir/Wraith/a black hole slowly and mercilessly destroy her and her people in as great cgi detail as tptb can muster and afford.

That'd be a 'No'.:P

Oh, harsh is good! :P I would love to see Lizzie kick her behind. Or a wraith queen suck the life-force out of her. A black hole - ooh, nice! The chances of that are actually remarkably high, given that they're always about and ... travelling. And CGI detail - yeah, tptb, put that to use! Space battles bore me. CGI black-hole-sucking on the other hand ...

if Larrin was even remotely well-written or acted...or had ANY chemistry with Shep, I wouldn't care. Unfortunately for her, she has none of those things going for her so....NO, I don't want any more of her in S5.

I've been waiting for her to do something (anything) to impress me but instead I've only grown more and more agitated by her character. But if the writers or the actress can turn this character around, then I wouldn't mind her sticking around. Until that point, I maintain my previous statement.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Stef. The fact that she has zip chemistry with Shep is constantly rippling my pond. She also seems to be a poorly-written, bad ripped-off version of Vala. I'm not one to complain about SG-1 similarities, but it's too blatantly ridiculous here. Vala was well-written, well-acted and well-integrated. Larrin is not.

I don't want to see her in season five, unless she gets what she needs - character and clothes. Poor girl must be freezing out there in the blackness of space. Which, speaking of the blackness of space - she could return if it's guarenteed she'll get sent there. It's amazing what oxygen deprivation can do to a character.

And, as far as I'm concerned, :weir: > Larrin. If SGA needs a new ally - especially a 'rogue-ish' ally - they should work with the current Weir storyline. It would be a far more emotional battle than the Larrinfest we got in Travellers.

JohnDuh
February 4th, 2008, 06:29 AM
How about some good writing instead?

Trek_Girl42
February 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM

A very enthusiastic "No". Larrin is one of the worst characters ever created for Stargate and she needs to be shown the nearest airlock, fast. ;)

SP90
February 4th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Is it just me does Larrin and Nancy look kinda similar? Maybe its just the lighting they used but you think thats why Sheppard fancys Larrin?

Jumper_One
February 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Is it just me does Larrin and Nancy look kinda similar? Maybe its just the lighting they used but you think thats why Sheppard fancys Larrin?

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/SGA/405%20Travelers/Travelers1.png
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/SGA/415%20Outcast/Outcast1.png

vaberella
February 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Does shipping really play that much of a factor?!

Maybe it does, but I loved Chaya none-the-less.

I really couldn't stand Larrin, I don't ever want to see her on Atlantis again.

To prove how much I dislike the character...I would rather a season with Weir married to John and expecting, Lucius a regular, and Teyla opening a Babies 'r' Us on Atlantis S5 than ever see Larrin on SGA again.

Redhooks
February 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/SGA/405%20Travelers/Travelers1.png
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/SGA/415%20Outcast/Outcast1.png
I think they are similar, but not that alike. Both Kari Wuhrer and Jill Wagner have German and Cherokee Indian blood in them, so I think their skin tone, hair color, and some facial features are quite similar.

That is one of the reasons I wanted this poll to be more than a yes or no to see if gender and if whether people are shippers or not contributed to the answers given. It looks like the factors are not as important as I first thought.

Thanks to everyone who has voted!

jonos101
February 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM

I really couldn't stand Larrin, I don't ever want to see her on Atlantis again.

To prove how much I dislike the character...I would rather a season with Weir married to John and expecting, Lucius a regular, and Teyla opening a Babies 'r' Us on Atlantis S5 than ever see Larrin on SGA again.

to far, WAY to far

LoneStar1836
February 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Absolutely not!

I can't stand the character, and I don't like the acting of the actress that plays her. Maybe some other male Travelers can appear, but keep Shep and the women separate! Gives the writers less opportunity to kirk him.

I'm anti-ship on Stargate for lead characters, btw. Period.

KiLL3r
February 5th, 2008, 03:43 AM
id like to see her back with a skimpier outfit. not enuf leg showing at the moment imho

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Absolutely not!

I can't stand the character, and I don't like the acting of the actress that plays her. Maybe some other male Travelers can appear, but keep Shep and the women separate! Gives the writers less opportunity to kirk him.

I'm anti-ship on Stargate for lead characters, btw. Period.

I have to agree with the statement in bold with !!!. I really was so surprised that she gave me nothing. I really hate trying to rate someone's acting since I really can't act...but damn!! I didn't get anything. There was no emotion...it wasn't a character in front of me...it was just dead. I always think an actor should portray something where I believe in the character...I didn't believe or believe in this character at all.

Take for instance the character of Noreena from Inferno. She wasn't that great, but I still got her ineptitude as a scientist. Larrin, she was just fruitless. ~sigh~ As I stated before, I just wouldn't want to see that again in S5 or as long as SGA shall live.

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I'm surprised no one's posted this here yet. Spoilers for S5 from JM's blog:
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/07/february-7-2008-as-the-first-day-of-production-creeps-ever-closer/

Jon K. writes: “Any Chance we will be seeing the Travelers in season 5, most notably Larrin?”

Answer: Yep.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
February 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM
why didnt you just put Yes or No instead of aload of crap.

Bagpuss
February 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/07/february-7-2008-as-the-first-day-of-production-creeps-ever-closer/

Thanks,for posting that ,Kildeer .:)

No surprise really ,is it ? Pro-Larrin fans will get more of what they want ,neutrals will go "whatever",and for those who voted anti,well,we can hope there will be less of Larrin vamping around,and more focus on the other Travelers !

Try reading their reasons before calling another member's poll options "crap" ,please !

vaberella
February 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM

[insert deity] It's a like a katar to the heart.

The reason is below, I had wondered the same thing without the *crap* added. :mckay:

That is one of the reasons I wanted this poll to be more than a yes or no to see if gender and if whether people are shippers or not contributed to the answers given. It looks like the factors are not as important as I first thought.

Thanks to everyone who has voted!
http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=7672209&postcount=123

Mitchell82
February 8th, 2008, 11:12 AM

For me thats good news.