Auroras Did Average, 304s Did Poorly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auroras Did Average, 304s Did Poorly

I cannot be the only one who is getting annoyed by people constantly saying that the Aurora class vessels are crap because of what they saw in Be All My Sins Remembered. Based on one battle i do not think its fair to say that all Auroras suck. I agree they did not have ZPMs plugged in, but thats not the point. They exceeded our expectations of the Aurora class based on what we have seen already.

The Asuran fleet was evenly placed in orbit when the battle began, we attacked less than half the fleet because our attack was not evenly spaced out throughout the entire orbit of Asuras, logically why would we do that considering that they are the larger force they wouldn't run but convene on our location and annihilate us. The allied fleet struck a portion of at most 1/3 the orbiting fleet. Of course some joined after but many were not able to engage in battle. Our shock and awe attack took out one of the 5 Auroras killed in total, many of the auroras took damage before shields were raised and consequentially many probably were not operating at 100% after the initial attack. of the 10 ships 9 remained to fight against the allied fleet of about 15 ships, already they are out numbered and caught off guard. 2 Aurora kills were in the background so no explanation can be given but for the remaining two kills can be. The first kill was by a 304 which swooped in taking fire for the hive and shooting at an unshielded Aurora, the second was by sheppard who was firing on an Aurora that was running away, the only reason the Aurora would run would be because it's shields had failed and they would no longer be safe in battle. we know ancient shields stop drones and we saw the Traveler's Aurora (TA) fire a salvo which some were intercepted (by drones, which may i remind you doing so would be nearly impossibly hard) and the others struck the fleeing ship.

There was only one confirmed kill made by the Asuran fleet and that would be the traveler ship, but in the background of the same scene Shep killed the fleeing Aurora you can see a Aurora fire a salvo into a hive which starts exploding (assume kill 2). The scene in the beginning where there is a hive taking a tremendous pounding and starts having explosions we may be able to assume a possible third kill. The scene following of Todd with his "hull regeneration" line is actually ambiguous because we dont know if the hive in the previous scene was his. In the end the Allied fleet was on its knees, the hives were badly damaged, the traveler's ships were damaged, the 304s were brought to their knees trading offense for defense by rerouting power to weapons and put it on shields. Yes their kill count was far lower than what we expected but still they were out numbered and believed they were holding the line, not engaging in a battle that would result in the survival of their kind.

The explanation of why no drones came from the surface would be that there would have been a brief moment of shock for the Asurans both in orbit and on the planet. at most i give about 25 seconds of hectic shock then they compose them selves. Within a very short time period Mckay beams in and takes over the city's ZPMs meaning if he sees defenses coming on line he can shut them down.

4 losses in 3 minutes when out numbered and recovering from a surprise attack is definitely not far more than we could have expected from the Auroras. i dont see why people say "Aw, now the auroras are the crappiest of all stargate ships" when they went down in a reasonable number. Even before the episode aired if you said the number of Asuran Auroras actually fighting and the quantity and type of each ship they were fighting the expected losses of the Auroras would most definitely be around 3-5. Even people who expected more losses because the upgraded 304s come into the picture dont commend the Auroras for doing well even though their expectation of the ship were exceeded.

Pat two: 304s Did Poorly.
    The 304s in battle did seemingly horribly against the Auroras. The only kill made was to a damaged Aurora that had depleted shields. Even in the individual kills made before that the Asuran ship was taken out when they had no shields active. Fact is that we have never seen a 304 and Aurora fight a fair battle. I'm not saying it won't do well and its weapons are ineffective but just how the battle of Asuras played out it would imply that the 304s were having difficulty dealing with Auroras that were battle ready. If they were Super Powerful there should have been more kills, other than just one we saw. Even if the other two kills were made by the 304s that doesnt sound very impressive anymore with one kill per minute.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

I myself have never said the Aurora is crap as I personally love the design and I would have rather seen the Asgard energy weapons to be effective to the point where they could threatan an Aurora but what the writers did was so Wrong for lack of a better word as they totalled them in 2 hits.

Your are right though as the Apollo was about to lose shields when McKays plan worked and several hives had taken heavy damage and the travellers ships weren't fairing any better. I agree what we need to see is an Aurora fighting a 304 with prior knowledge of the engagement so no suprise attacks out of hyperspace

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
      I myself have never said the Aurora is crap as I personally love the design and I would have rather seen the Asgard energy weapons to be effective to the point where they could threatan an Aurora but what the writers did was so Wrong for lack of a better word as they totalled them in 2 hits.

Your are right though as the Apollo was about to lose shields when McKays plan worked and several hives had taken heavy damage and the travellers ships weren't fairing any better. I agree what we need to see is an Aurora fighting a 304 with prior knowledge of the engagement so no suprise attacks out of hyperspace
      i think that 2 shots should kill them. it takes about 4 to take out an ori cruiser, and the ori are:

1. more war like.
      2. thousands of years more advanced.
      3. the ascended knowledge of the ori helped to construct them.

granted they were brand new auroras but since the asurans thought there was nothing out there that could take on an aurora so why change a tried and tested design.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The 304s didn't do poorly.. the mission was to disable hyperdrives of aurora class ships and stop them from getting away.. not blow em all up. none got away = 304 mission acomplished.

Comment

the reason the asurans and the auroras failed is that what happened to sensors? Atlantis can pick up ships HOURS away, why couldn't they detect our fleet coming and raise shields prepare for attack....
          Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
          Anime signature in spoiler tag
          Spoiler:
          Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
            the reason the asurans and the auroras failed is that what happened to sensors? Atlantis can pick up ships HOURS away, why couldn't they detect our fleet coming and raise shields prepare for attack....

Good Question.. Have to assume they knew it was comming and still failed? I dont see how it could have been a sneak attack.

Comment

A very good point-but they would still only have a rough approximation of where the fleet would come out of hyperspace. They still would have known when they were going to arrive so yes they should have had shields and weapons prepped

Comment

I agree completely with what your saying. The alliance fleet simply got the jump on the Asurans; they had shields down and were not battle ready. Plus, the Asurans did not fir as many drones probably to avoid hitting friendly ships. Most of the Auroras I saw were using their plasma batteries.

If the Asuran ships had had their shields up, been battle ready and were arranged in formation in which every ship could fight; the outcome would have been much different. The Asurans were simply just caught off guard.

(The real reason why the Asurans lost was because that is how the story was written. The Asurans had the advantage in almost every way but the writer tipped the favor to the good guys. The good guys really needed a win.)
                sigpic

Comment

Also keep in mind that the battle was taking place above the planet on all sides, not just the little bit we saw over the main city. We didn't see a lot of what happened, but based on the outcome we definitely got the jump on them. Otherwise there wouldn't have been as many allied ships jumping to hyperspace when the planet went neutron.
                  It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                  --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

That’s true the Auroras were fighting in the planets gravity well this would have effected there maneuverability and slowed down any projectile weapons (drones) this is most likely why the went for the plasma batteries rather than a drone swarm.

Comment

Possibly but they may have been opting for a precise attack over brute force

Comment

Speaking of which, I've seen the battle scene in BAMSR about four times now, and when
                        Spoiler:
                        Larrin gets Sheppard to fire the drones at the Asuran ship attempting to leave, we see most of his drones being exploded before they get to the ship, then a couple get through. But I didn't see any battery fire, so I assumed that the ship used its own drones as a substitute.

Did I just miss the plasma fire? Where did we see it?
                        It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                        --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Watch the episode where the Apollo takes on a smaller replicator ship "Lifeline" me thinks as the ship was firing reddish/goldish bolts-really the writers should have stuck with blue energy weapons fire like the pistols that the asurans used as it would be much easier to differentiate between them and the drones

Comment

almost all auroras are gone anyway so get over it probly shudnt be any more coming

Comment

Hate to point this out but there is at least 2 we still know of 1)the Travellers ship and 2)Weirs ship let alone if any replicators friendly (the ones who want to ascend) or otherwise out there with Aurora's

Comment

Working...
                              X