• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interstellar and intergalatic hyperdrives

Seriously, whats the diffirence? Speed?

Go Green

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
    Seriously, whats the diffirence? Speed?
    Interstellar hyperdrives can only cross the distances within a single galaxy; intergalactic hyperdrives can cross the void between galaxies.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Simple answer: Yes!

The main sticking point isn't traveling from galaxy to galaxy. It's getting through the huge void that seperates them! Which is where the faster & more powerful intergalactic drive really comes into it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        Interstellar hyperdrives can only cross the distances within a single galaxy; intergalactic hyperdrives can cross the void between galaxies.

And the reason that's possible is speed. Our galaxy is only(I say only in very relative terms) 100,000 light years in diameter. It's 3 MILLION light years in the void between us and the Pegasus galaxy.

Comment

intergalatic hyperdrives are much more powerful
          Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
          Anime signature in spoiler tag
          Spoiler:
          Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Perhaps also a longer continuous run time. Most interstellar drives don't have to run for 3 weeks before they reach their destination.

Comment

32,000xC for Goa'uld Interstellar
              90,000,000xC for BC304 Pre Refit Intergalactic(Me thinks as 3,000,000 ly in 19 days)
              420,000,000,000xC Asgard best Intergalactic (3,000,000 ly in 5 minutes)

Interstellar 1-1,000,000xC
              Intergalactic 1,000,000xC or more

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                90,000,000xC for BC304 Pre Refit Intergalactic(Me thinks as 3,000,000 ly in 19 days)

Where do you get those asgard figures from? The only speed reference we have for them is 3,000,000ly in 4 days, thats not 5mins. How do you know that wasn't their fastest.
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

The Asgard figures come from when Thor towed Prometheus to Ida galaxy in an hour-Thor said the Oniels could di it in 5 minutes. Ida is about the same distance as Pegasus possibly more

Comment

The Asgard figures come from when Thor towed Prometheus to Ida galaxy in an hour-Thor said the Oniels could di it in 5 minutes. Ida is about the same distance as Pegasus possibly more
                    Where did they say that?

Comment

The distance from Ida to the MW has never been stated. Also, for those speed estimates you need some kinda of time frame, IE 32000 light years per hour;day;year. However, even at 32,000x C per day it would only take 62.5 days to reach Andromeda. Need better explanation.

And it's easy to calculate Daedalus speed with or without the ZPM. 3,000,000 light years in 4 or 18 days easily converts to 6945 light years/hour and 31250 light years/hour.

Goauld Hatak's speed is also easy to find from the episode Exodus when the Hatak gets thrown out of the galaxy by approx 4 million light years. Jacob/Selmak said it would take 125 years to get back. That's only 3.65 light years per hour or 32,000 light years per year, maybe that's the time frame you meant? **Checks other to see** No that doesn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                        The distance from Ida to the MW has never been stated. Also, for those speed estimates you need some kinda of time frame, IE 32000 light years per hour;day;year. However, even at 32,000x C per day it would only take 62.5 days to reach Andromeda. Need better explanation.

And it's easy to calculate Daedalus speed with or without the ZPM. 3,000,000 light years in 4 or 18 days easily converts to 6945 light years/hour and 31250 light years/hour.

Goauld Hatak's speed is also easy to find from the episode Exodus when the Hatak gets thrown out of the galaxy by approx 4 million light years. Jacob/Selmak said it would take 125 years to get back. That's only 3.65 light years per hour or 32,000 light years per year, maybe that's the time frame you meant? **Checks other to see** No that doesn't work either.
                        We saw in "Unnatural Selection, " that an Asgard O'Neill class, towed the Prometheus 1200ly back to Earth in about 4 seconds. That gives the O'Neill a speed of about 864000 ly per hour, while towing a ship. And Thor did say the trip to Ida would take many hours, because towing the Prometheus was slowing his ship down.

So from this, we know Ida is at least 3 million light years away. We still don't know the top speed of Asgard ships. But given how quickly we've seen the Asgard ships make a trip from Ida, it would seem there are capable of travelling millions of light years in minutes.

Comment

I see, just out of curiosity, what episode was that? The oneils were much advanced of their other ships so it's not suprising, but the Ida is a made up galaxy so we don't know how far away it is.
                          Best quotes ever:
                          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                          Thor:I like the yellow ones
                          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Ofcourse Stargate fails to account for relativity, it seems they're still living in a classical universe where you can go as fast as you want without worrying about time dilation.

Obviously the catch is that they use hyperspace, not FTL speeds, so the ship is somehow not subject to relativistic effects. But this is all so ideal.

I think the most important invention ever to have been thought up in all science fictions shows, ever, in all history, is "subspace". This way you can have subspace signals (radio would take years to be transmitted through space), ships that travel in subspace, subspace this, that, subspace bla bla bla bla, and they're all not subject to relativity, and everything gets everywhere really fast. Thanks to Star Trek, the Universe is infinitely more welcoming to human space travel.

I also think that the ability to go pretty much anywhere in the galaxy in a matter of hours now, by ship, is wayy waaaay to convenient. Remember when we had to use the stargates? If the ancients could travel like this, then I don't see why they built the stargates. It's almost like teleportation, you hop aboard the Daedalus, and in half an hour you're on the other side of the galaxy now. And we are talking about human ships. And still on our planet (in the stargate universe) they are using polluting fuels and destructive energy sources, and the people are still using primitive wheeled vehicles to get around with 60 miles an hour at most usually.

Also, if it's possible to get to the Pegasus galaxy so quickly (well maybe not THAT quickly), what's stopping us from just going to whatever galaxy we want now? In fact, beyond these couple of galaxies (Ida, Pegasus, Milky Way, Ori) there could be way more interesting stuff and races even more powerful than the ancients or the asgard (races we seem to have beaten in terms of advancement, since we can blow up their ships in one/two blows). The Andromeda galaxy comes to mind, it's probably closer than Pegasus.
                            My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                              I see, just out of curiosity, what episode was that? The oneils were much advanced of their other ships so it's not suprising, but the Ida is a made up galaxy so we don't know how far away it is.
                              interesting figures, seems the asgard have fastest hyperdrives
                              what about the ancients?
                              Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                              Anime signature in spoiler tag
                              Spoiler:
                              Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Working...
                              X