Cloaking + Daedalus/Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloaking + Daedalus/Odyssey

Hey first time poster and new to the forum so correct me if i get anything wrong.

We know from SG-1 that the Goa'uld are in technology terms 'leeches' as some of their tech is either copied or stolen from Ancients meaning that the two technologies are perhaps able to be used in conjunction or to replace systems all together.

And as the Daedalus and Odyssey are also copied off small part Goa'uld tech - therefore a derivitive of Ancient technology, and as we have seen from SGA that Atlantis' shield can be converted into a anti-replicator wave or a cloak when times are dire, does this not mean that with Puddle Jumper crystals the Daedalus and Odyssey can be equiped with a cloak?

Theyre kick as enough but id love to see the looks on a wraiths face if the two deep space cruisers of their dinner appeared from no where....

Feedback??

Also after about 5 minutes of posting this i relised people have asked this before. Sorry
    Last edited by Kris_x-303; 13 January 2008, 10:53 AM. Reason: Missed abit off

Well
    Spoiler:
    The Odyssey already has a cloak, when Daniel had merlin's consciousness in his head he modified the ship and added an ancient style cloak to it... I'm not sure if the Daedalus has a cloaking device, but considering it now has freaking laser beams and transporters might as well add the cloak..

IMO stargate has gone downhill ever since they launched they first showed the Prometheus...

Comment

Originally posted by tgmd View Post
      Well
      Spoiler:
      The Odyssey already has a cloak, when Daniel had merlin's consciousness in his head he modified the ship and added an ancient style cloak to it... I'm not sure if the Daedalus has a cloaking device, but considering it now has freaking laser beams and transporters might as well add the cloak..

IMO stargate has gone downhill ever since they launched they first showed the Prometheus...
      Didn't the asgard have cloaking tech? Also if they could turn a cloak into a sheild shouldn't they be able to do the opposite or is that what daniel did?
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
        Didn't the asgard have cloaking tech? Also if they could turn a cloak into a sheild shouldn't they be able to do the opposite or is that what daniel did?
        From Nemisis we know that Asgard ships are cloaked.

Comment

i dont c why you cant use a cloak and shield at the same time. 1 zpm completely cloaks/shields atlantis how much energy cloaking 1/100 of that size take like i dont no a naquadah generator plus another 1 to power shields for a puddle jumper so maybe like 5 or 6 for a earth ship

Comment

Originally posted by from_orion View Post
            From Nemisis we know that Asgard ships are cloaked.
            If you recall from Nemesis though the ship was still visible to the naked eye (ours atleast). I think the Asgard cloak is more like stealth technology that makes the ship invisible to sensors, but the vessel remains visible to the naked eye.
            Although we know the Asgard have personal cloaks so either theory can be considered valid.

Whether or not the Daedalus can be equipped with a cloak all depends on whether the ability to change Ancients cloaks to shields and vice versa is unique to that particular type of shield or if it can be applied to any shield.

Iirc, Atlantis uses the cloak generator of a Jumper so the 'bubble' merely projects whatever type of field you wish to use, regardless of whether it is being created by a shield generator or a cloak generator. Although cloaks can be converted to shields without any additional hardware.

@tgmd: I can't really agree that the show has been going downhill ever since the introduction of Prometheus as that was a rare use ship. Although I do kind of miss the low-tech episodes as opposed to the majority of SGA episodes which tend to either involve ships or us using advanced technology to win the day rather than pure wit and a block of C4 as we did in the good old days of SG-1.

Case in point: In Serpent's Lair, O'Neill just throws some grenades at the shield generator of Apophis' ship in order to disable their shields. I can't see them using this solution in SGA, it would probably involve McKay hacking their OS, rewriting massive amounts of code in the blink of an eye, then lowering the shields with the press of a button.
            I understand that we will use technology more now as we have more experience with alien tech and we are more advanced ourselves. There is however something to be said for the simple solution.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
              Case in point: In Serpent's Lair, O'Neill just throws some grenades at the shield generator of Apophis' ship in order to disable their shields. I can't see them using this solution in SGA, it would probably involve McKay hacking their OS, rewriting massive amounts of code in the blink of an eye, then lowering the shields with the press of a button.
              I understand that we will use technology more now as we have more experience with alien tech and we are more advanced ourselves. There is however something to be said for the simple solution.
              Spoils of War is a counterpoint to that. They didn't have time for Mckay to hack so Shepard resorted to um a "slightly bigger block of explosive". It also accounts for not losing so many ships in BAMSR.

As for the Cloak I hope the others ships don't get one. that would be just too much. The onyl good thing is that the Odyssey's cloak was powered by the ZPM. maybe we need a new power supply or have to use inferior cloaks like those of the tel'tacs.

Comment

Also, i am not sure what Daniel did to get the Oddessy to cloak, so maybe it cannot be transfered..

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                  If you recall from Nemesis though the ship was still visible to the naked eye (ours atleast). I think the Asgard cloak is more like stealth technology that makes the ship invisible to sensors, but the vessel remains visible to the naked eye.
                  Although we know the Asgard have personal cloaks so either theory can be considered valid.

Whether or not the Daedalus can be equipped with a cloak all depends on whether the ability to change Ancients cloaks to shields and vice versa is unique to that particular type of shield or if it can be applied to any shield.

Iirc, Atlantis uses the cloak generator of a Jumper so the 'bubble' merely projects whatever type of field you wish to use, regardless of whether it is being created by a shield generator or a cloak generator. Although cloaks can be converted to shields without any additional hardware.

@tgmd: I can't really agree that the show has been going downhill ever since the introduction of Prometheus as that was a rare use ship. Although I do kind of miss the low-tech episodes as opposed to the majority of SGA episodes which tend to either involve ships or us using advanced technology to win the day rather than pure wit and a block of C4 as we did in the good old days of SG-1.

I really miss the good aold days...

Comment

Originally posted by Forgottensmoke View Post
                    i dont c why you cant use a cloak and shield at the same time. 1 zpm completely cloaks/shields atlantis how much energy cloaking 1/100 of that size take like i dont no a naquadah generator plus another 1 to power shields for a puddle jumper so maybe like 5 or 6 for a earth ship
                    True, but perhaps it's more than power requirements. Maybe if both were activated at once, a giant empty shield bubble would show up on enemy sensors, kind of defeating the purpose of a cloak.
                    sigpic
                    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                      True, but perhaps it's more than power requirements. Maybe if both were activated at once, a giant empty shield bubble would show up on enemy sensors, kind of defeating the purpose of a cloak.
                      The only possibility is if they could figure out how to cloak a radius larger than the shield so it is hidden as well... It may be possible.

Comment

I think the show went downwards a bit from season 7 and crashed at season 9 because A,the Goa'uld were killed off B,They were given battlecruisers and C,RDA was not there any more

Crazy Toms right-The times where we had -100 on the tech scales compared to our enemys were the best. Its so unrealistic that within 10 years we became the strongest military power in the Milky Way.

Atlantis started out allright but looks like it will follow SG-1 down the Ex Deus Machina Road with the new Asgard upgrades which will kill 10 hive ships every minute-and even Lantian Ships are no match.

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                          I think the show went downwards a bit from season 7 and crashed at season 9 because A,the Goa'uld were killed off B,They were given battlecruisers and C,RDA was not there any more

Crazy Toms right-The times where we had -100 on the tech scales compared to our enemys were the best. Its so unrealistic that within 10 years we became the strongest military power in the Milky Way.

Atlantis started out allright but looks like it will follow SG-1 down the Ex Deus Machina Road with the new Asgard upgrades which will kill 10 hive ships every minute-and even Lantian Ships are no match.
                          We only have 2 ships in PG and 1 in MW, I fail to see how we are the most powerful military force. JM said on his blog that the asuran ships were weaker than ancient ships because they weren't the originals (don't know how he worked that out) and where did the figure 10 hive ships in a minute come from? It is very unrealistic and I don't like it that the asurans are gone but we wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes in that battle without the help of the others and the sheilds were close to failing anyway.
                          Best quotes ever:
                          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Firstly I said the most powerful in the Milky Way as it would take a great many Ha'Tak to kill an upgraded 304 , secondly the 10 hive ships a minute was me being sarcastic towards the use of Ex Deus Machinas and finally on average we only have 1 ship in the PG as the Apollo only just joined them there for missions

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                              Firstly I said the most powerful in the Milky Way as it would take a great many Ha'Tak to kill an upgraded 304 , secondly the 10 hive ships a minute was me being sarcastic towards the use of Ex Deus Machinas and finally on average we only have 1 ship in the PG as the Apollo only just joined them there for missions
                              The only enemy really left in the MW is the lucian alliance lol.
                              Best quotes ever:

Comment

Working...
                              X