This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any really good films out there?

I've watched quite a few movies recently of this genre and I'm just bored of it. "I am Legend" was so uninteresting to me, and There don't seem to be very many good movies out there anymore.

Anyone know of any "good" Sci-Fi movies?
    You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

A.I. (minus the last 15 minutes or so, it was genius. Fark you Spielberg)
    Alien/Aliens
    Blade Runner
    The Boys from Brazil
    A Clockwork Orange
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Contact
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Dune (the Sci Fi miniseries from a few years back, not the Lynch version)
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Event Horizon (watch alone, with the lights out)
    Forbidden Planet
    Gattaca
    The Matrix trilogy
    Metropolis
    The Omega Man
    Planet of the Apes (1968)
    Serenity
    Solaris (1972)
    Star Trek 2/4/6
    Star Wars OT
    Terminator/T2
    Twelve Monkeys
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You must not forget Children Of Men, which was brilliant in my opinion.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BJdavidLS View Post
        You must not forget Children Of Men, which was brilliant in my opinion.
        that was just so depressing to me. By the end of it I just thought, no one's worth saving.

I recently saw The Man From Earth. It was entirely conversational but still so very interesting.

I thought Transformers was fun. The Last Mimzy was cute. And for a good monster movie, Gwoemul fits the bill. But if you've already seen all those plus the ones DigiFluid listed, then I can't say there's much more. The genre is not really filled with "great" movies. Most are really below par.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel View Post
          I recently saw The Man From Earth. It was entirely conversational but still so very interesting.
          I saw it a day ago, it's a perfect movie in my opinion.

David B.
          sigpic

Comment

anything by david croneburg
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Has anyone seen Sunshine as yet? It's not perfect, but it's actually pretty good. It has a couple of the usual horror movie elements but without the cheese factor and poor attempts at comedy. It's a little more grounded in reality than usual if you discount the reason for the whole thing and the climax.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

yeah it's pretty good, it suffers the same as i am legend did though, good thriller to begin with then turned into an average wannabe horror towords the end.
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

Eternal Sunshine was a far, far better movie than I Am Legend. Much more humanity to it than IAL. Jim Carrey's performance is stellar too, far better than anything I've seen Will Smith in. Carrey, when not doing slapstick, is actually a terrific actor.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I keep hearing how wonderful Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is but I can't get past the first half hour.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Eternal Sunshine was a far, far better movie than I Am Legend. Much more humanity to it than IAL. Jim Carrey's performance is stellar too, far better than anything I've seen Will Smith in. Carrey, when not doing slapstick, is actually a terrific actor.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Danny Boyles Sunshine, not Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I would be very confused if someone said Eternal Sunshine started out a thriller and became a wannabe Horror movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                        I'm pretty sure he was talking about Danny Boyles Sunshine, not Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I would be very confused if someone said Eternal Sunshine started out a thriller and became a wannabe Horror movie.
                        A good thing to clear up, I know I was confused

Comment

I thought Sunshine was actually pretty good. If you put aside the slasher elements and the fact they have gravity for some strange bloody reason, it's really quite a good watch.

I'm surprised Starship Troopers hasn't been mentioned. A complete *******ization of Heinlein's book in every conceivable way, but a solid movie nonetheless and definitely one of Verhoeven's best.

The Fifth Element definitely deserves a mention, as it has just the right amount of wit, action and camp to make it a real winner.

Let's not forget Pitch Black, although I might be bias since it's a movie with a heavily Australian cast shot in the Australian outback. Still, a solid little movie plus it's got Claudia Black to boot.

Minority Report is another one of Spielberg's gems. Nice action, interesting story, and some really cool looking cinematography.

There's Galaxy Quest, one of the best satirical sci-fi flicks out there. Well, it's probably one of the only satirical sci-fi flicks out there, but my point remains valid.

And finally, for a classic take, you can't go past Logan's Run. Basil Exposition running around a society of promiscuous 20-somethings, dodging lasers and blowing **** up. A true tale for the children.

Oh, and as i'm typing i've actually got The Fountain running in the background. It's sort of sci-fi, but really I don't have a ****ing clue what the hell is going on. Good movie so far, though.
                          Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
                          Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
                          Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
                          - Serenity

Comment

I thought the fountain was beautiful.. but I also have no idea what the hell it was about.

I love satire and spoof so Starship Troopers and Galaxy Quest are two of my favorites. It's odd though, not everyone seems to get the appeal of Starship Troopers. I think what seemed like mockery to me, seemed pretty straight to some and I don't fault them for that. The real world is more and more like a spoof of some other grounded reality everyday.

Dark City is worth a mention. Not usually my kind of film but the payoff was so worth it.

As for movies I'm looking forward to:

I've never read Ender's Game but the concept seems intriguing. I want to see how that works out in film.

There's an A&E miniseries of The Andromeda Strain coming up. I thought the original movie was fascinating. Reminded me a little of an Earth-bound version of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There are two 2012 movies coming up. I'm pretty sure both will suck but I still want to see what they do with the concept. And on the note of concepts... I Have to see Teeth. It's probably going to be silly but the concept is very view worthy.

But movies I genuinely want to see are The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Alice
                            Last edited by MarshAngel; 17 January 2008, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I just finished watching Children of Men for the first time (yeah, I'm a little behind). Wow. See this movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X