faster then light travel/ hyperspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

faster then light travel/ hyperspace

Will someone explain to me how Hyperspace works in the SG universe? How is it different from Warp speed (ST)? Is it different or is it basically the same thing?

I understand that traveling at light speed will cause the people inside the ship will experience less time go by then the people outside. (The Return Pt1 explains this) like 12 years go by in the ship, but thousands go by outside. So hyperspace is better then FTL travel.

Originally posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Will someone explain to me how Hyperspace works in the SG universe? How is it different from Warp speed (ST)? Is it different or is it basically the same thing?

I understand that traveling at light speed will cause the people inside the ship will experience less time go by then the people outside. (The Return Pt1 explains this) like 12 years go by in the ship, but thousands go by outside. So hyperspace is better then FTL travel.
    Well in stargate they move to another "dimension" kinda where either this dimension makes the universe shorter making traveling faster or you could travel many times the speed of light in this dimension.
    In star trek they warp the space around them in order to travel faster. That is the easiest i could make it sound.

Oh and a wormhole in stargate just folds time and space so you could have almost instantaneous travel.
    sigpic

Comment

*mmm a soul*

Originally posted by Dark Soul

SG <=> ST roughly the same, in SG they enter another "plane" called hyperspace - basically a "mini version" of normal space where things move relatively faster compared to normal space, but max speed is still lower than light speed in that plane so the laws of physics still hold regardless whether you're in normal space or hyperspace - and in ST they enter subspace (for classic warp anyway) which is the ~ SG's hyperspace

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
        SG <=> ST roughly the same, in SG they enter another "plane" called hyperspace - basically a "mini version" of normal space where things move relatively faster compared to normal space, but max speed is still lower than light speed in that plane so the laws of physics still hold regardless whether you're in normal space or hyperspace - and in ST they enter subspace which is the equivalent of SG's hyperspace
        But much slower. Seeing as there are hyperdrives in Stargate that can reach other galaxies in a few weeks and the Warp drives in Star Trek are never stated as being fast enough to reach another galaxy within the lifetimes of any of the races seen.

But I'm no expert so you may want to get a second opinion on this yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
          But much slower. Seeing as there are hyperdrives in Stargate that can reach other galaxies in a few weeks and the Warp drives in Star Trek are never stated as being fast enough to reach another galaxy within the lifetimes of any of the races seen.

But I'm no expert so you may want to get a second opinion on this yourself.
          nope you're right the ST-verse is like a "scaled-down" version of the SG-verse (or scaled-up depending which way you look at it)

in the ST-verse transport on a galactic scale calls for what would be considered top-notch warp tech (like slipstream) whereas the same kinda speed in the SG-verse is basically standard (the goa'uld can cross the galaxy in a matter of weeks, iirc) and top-notch in the SG-verse is of the intergalactic type (like the asgard)

but the difference is merely quantitative not qualitative, apparently

Comment

Well imagine this, for Voyager to travel from one side of the Galaxy (Delta to Alpha) to the other one which were like 75,000 light years apart, would of took 75 years with max warp of ~9.6. So this proves that ST FTL is much slower then SG as they can only cross closer quadrants of space around them in sufficient time. The Milky Way in ST is divided into 4 quadrants~Alpha,Beta,Gamma,Delta. Earth being in between Beta and Alpha. In SG such thing does not exits, the Go'uld had all of the galaxy under control and they were hopping from one side to the other in matter of hours. The only race that can be compared with ST warp drive is the Tollans, as Narim said that even on a ship it will still take more than a lifetime to reach Earth. Since Tollana was on the furthest side of the M.W Galaxy it would reason that they had a FTL drive close to ST Federation.
            The Borg had Transwarp conduits which had about the same speed as Go'uld hyperdrives roughly.

I'm not very familiar with Battlestar Galactica FTL, I know they have something like Solar systems jump drives that work by folding space. But not sure of the speed(distance?) they can travel. As if they could just jump to Earth. Maybe someone who understands BS Galactica could explain in details a bit more?
            Last edited by tainor; 11 January 2008, 05:18 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Ok this helps me a lot. I want to use something like hyperspace or some kind of FTL travel in a book I am writing. I do not know if this book will ever be completed but it gives me something to do when I am bored.

Comment

Cool, I'm working on my own fictional FTL travel methods also.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
                  Cool, I'm working on my own fictional FTL travel methods also.
                  If you ever get it published I will buy it
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliHawk View Post
                    If you ever get it published I will buy it
                    IF I complete mine and don't give up I will let everbody here know about it. Although I think you quoted some one else not mine. But still I will put it on Amazon or something like that. This could possibly be five years or so because I don't work on it that often.

Comment

Just wanted to add something about ST warp speed. In the ST universe the races that use it have only had it for a few centuries at best so its no where near as advanced as the Hyper drive Tech in SG. Given enough time to advance warps speed in the trek universe could probably reach a similar lvl of speed like SG.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAccended View Post
                        Just wanted to add something about ST warp speed. In the ST universe the races that use it have only had it for a few centuries at best so its no where near as advanced as the Hyper drive Tech in SG. Given enough time to advance warps speed in the trek universe could probably reach a similar lvl of speed like SG.
                        That is very true. Thank you for your input. How long have the Borg had Warp speed? Because they were pretty advanced. I do not watch the older ST shows too often so I do not know this stuff. I usually just watch the Enterprise show on SciFi channel.

Comment

it was never mentioned how long the borg had warp, but we know that in the year 1500 they had already conquered a few stars

and it doesnt make the universe shorter, it makes the speed of light higher, if i remember correctly

Comment

Basically the speed of light in hyperspace is alot higher than in regular space (300,000 km/s here). So the forces needed to accelerate up to those speeds is considerably less in hyperspace than in regular space, as the quanitity for relativistic speeds is much higher.

Comment

i was just thinking: the speed of light is always constant
                              but how can we know it, we dont know how fast we move, becuase we dont know how fast our galactial cluster is travelling, right? so how can we test how fast light is going if we dont know how fast we are going?

Comment

Working...
                              X