X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Seasons = New Enemy?

Hi, there. New. Down to questions.

In my opinion the Wraith have never really solidified as the the major threat that Atlantis (the show) needs. They had some interesting abilities and a different look, but they aren't that scary. The team has almost never had a problem dealing with them (see Ori as a good example of a "threat").

When Atlantis brought in the Replicators, things picked up. But then Season 4 started and the two major threats to Atlantis were fighting each other and not really a factor. This is one of the reasons why I felt that the beginning episodes of Season 4, aside from the season openers, seemed hollow and unfocused.

Now that the Replicators have been taken care of (ignoring for the moment), we have the Wraith as the main antagonist again. Snooze. So, my question is. How many seasons do you think the writers will continue to use the Wraith before they bring in a more powerful (and hopefully interesting) baddie?

The wraith used to be freaking scary and powerful, before their ships shrunk to Daedalus-size, before they stopped quickly regenerating when shot, when we learned to turn them into humans and back (that was the cheesiest thing ever, IMO, and it was never continued).

Now our asgard beam weapons could probably destroy their hive ships in one blow.

But what enemy could possibly stand in the way of the Tau'ri now... seriously, we can destroy ancient ships... and:

Spoiler:
    We defeat an entire race of ascended beings in The Ark of Truth.

It seems the humans have become the gods in the end. We could probably rule the galaxy. And on top of that, we have only one planet, and it's people don't even know about this (in fact, they are still wiping out their planet's habitabilty with polluting fuels, when they could be flying naquadah powered ships).
    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

I think the Wraith have the potential to be the big bad we have always wanted them to be.
      The problem in early seasons is that they were too 2-dimensional and we knew absolutely nothing about them. They ate people because they needed to and just happened to be amazingly evil so they were just the same as a number of other bigbads in many scifi shows in the past.
      With the introduction of Todd, the revelation that Queens are in short supply, and the information about the Wraith that is apparently forthcoming in 'Spoils Of War', I think the writers have handed themselves a golden opportunity to make them as big, bad, and 3-dimensional as they should have been from day one.

Spoiler:

But it looks like there will be a new enemy in S5. Lets just hope they don't forget about the Wraith just as they are starting to get interesting.

Comment

I liked how the replicators had become basically unstoppable, just wiping out entire planets without anything standing in their way. That was just awesome and it actually seemed menacing. The way we blew them up was pretty fitting, IMO. But it just seems unlikely they would have just one planet. If they were replicators, why didn't they replicate their way onto more and more planets like an unstoppable force?

I would like to see something really huge and unstoppable, like a juggernaut. Like the Borg, they should stop at nothing.
        My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

I will agree with that Talyn. The problem the Wraith had at the very beginning (at still do to a certain extent) is that they didn't have a "Named" leader. It was like a race of red-shirts. And how memorable are red-shirts?

Michael will hopefully correct this.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
            I liked how the replicators had become basically unstoppable, just wiping out entire planets without anything standing in their way. That was just awesome and it actually seemed menacing. The way we blew them up was pretty fitting, IMO. But it just seems unlikely they would have just one planet. If they were replicators, why didn't they replicate their way onto more and more planets like an unstoppable force?

I would like to see something really huge and unstoppable, like a juggernaut. Like the Borg, they should stop at nothing.
            Spoiler:
            We already know the Replicators survived. It's a moot point. The Asurans are in the rebound. All BAMSR was was a power play between Oberoth and Weir. Weir won.
            Last edited by rarocks24; 11 January 2008, 08:50 AM.
            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I am wondering when the Hives became Daedalus size? It was always quite clear to me that a ship like the Daedalus could fit easily between the two main parts of the Hive ships as in Allies. In comparison the Daedalus is quite small.

I agree that the Wraith seemed much more powerful in the early seasons and now don't seem like much of a threat. These people are predators - if a predator is not stronger and more intelligent than their prey, they will not survive.

The Wraith evolved from Ancient humans and the iratus. . .what we know about these two is that the Ancients were intelligent beyond our capacity of understanding as their brains were much more evolved than ours. The Iratus is an incredibly invulnerable creature. It was hard as hell to kill it and damn scary.

Knowing this, it is quite stupid to me that the Wraith now seem so weak and easy to destroy. This enemy should be scary as hell for us. What happened? As a combination of these two beings there should be no reason for them to not come back and kick some major butt.

Finally, I have to say - that Asgard weapon is WAY too powerful! I wonder if they will take the weapon away from us since the threat of the replicators is gone. At one point they would not give us any weapons and were pissed off that we used their beaming technology as a weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter View Post
                I am wondering when the Hives became Daedalus size? It was always quite clear to me that a ship like the Daedalus could fit easily between the two main parts of the Hive ships as in Allies. In comparison the Daedalus is quite small.
                When did they appear Daedalus sized? Different reasons could account for differing views. Perspective, scaling, etc.

I agree that the Wraith seemed much more powerful in the early seasons and now don't seem like much of a threat. These people are predators - if a predator is not stronger and more intelligent than their prey, they will not survive.
                Spoiler:
                They managed to snag a ZPM during the battle without us knowing about it.

The Wraith evolved from Ancient humans and the iratus. . .what we know about these two is that the Ancients were intelligent beyond our capacity of understanding as their brains were much more evolved than ours. The Iratus is an incredibly invulnerable creature. It was hard as hell to kill it and damn scary.
                Actually, they didn't evolve from Ancients. They evolved from normal humans that were seeded/planted on Iratus insect worlds.

Knowing this, it is quite stupid to me that the Wraith now seem so weak and easy to destroy. This enemy should be scary as hell for us. What happened? As a combination of these two beings there should be no reason for them to not come back and kick some major butt.
                Intelligence has nothing to do with it. They are low on food and territorial. Bees kill bees from other hives. The Wraith have nowhere near the number they once had. The Wraith are like the Goa'uld of S.6-7, weak, but still a threat.

Finally, I have to say - that Asgard weapon is WAY too powerful! I wonder if they will take the weapon away from us since the threat of the replicators is gone. At one point they would not give us any weapons and were pissed off that we used their beaming technology as a weapon.
                Huh, who's going to take away the weapons? I take it you haven't seen or heard of SG1 episode Unending?
                http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                  When did they appear Daedalus sized? Different reasons could account for differing views. Perspective, scaling, etc.

Spoiler:
                  They managed to snag a ZPM during the battle without us knowing about it.

Actually, they didn't evolve from Ancients. They evolved from normal humans that were seeded/planted on Iratus insect worlds.

Intelligence has nothing to do with it. They are low on food and territorial. Bees kill bees from other hives. The Wraith have nowhere near the number they once had. The Wraith are like the Goa'uld of S.6-7, weak, but still a threat.

Huh, who's going to take away the weapons? I take it you haven't seen or heard of SG1 episode Unending?
                  I was thinking maybe the Asgard would take the weapon back. What season was Unending from? I've seen them all - its a lot to remember though.

Comment

They didn't get Daedalus sized! Watch BAMSR again, 32m 40 seconds in. They appear smaller, sure. But hardly Daedalus sized. And as has been said before, they aren't too big on size continuity, they just want the battles to look as good as they can possibly make them. Considerig the VFX team slaved for months on these shots, I'd say they did a good job.

Comment

I was thinking maybe the Asgard would take the weapon back. What season was Unending from? I've seen them all - its a lot to remember though.
                      Unending was the last ever episode. Go watch it again, and you will see why the Asgard will never take the weapons back off us.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                        Unending was the last ever episode. Go watch it again, and you will see why the Asgard will never take the weapons back off us.
                        I never watched the entire series until after the series finale so I have a lot in my head right now! LOL I will watch it again. That was a good ep.

Comment

I never watched the entire series until after the series finale so I have a lot in my head right now! LOL I will watch it again. That was a good ep.
                          I'll say it in tags:

Spoiler:
                          The Asgard self-destruced. It was such a sad ep!

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter

What usually happens is that writers make the bad guys TOO vulnerable because we (the fans) want the good guys to win in the end. We like to see 'our' guys kick the bad guys' butts. However, by doing so, they weaken the impact the villain has. It SHOULD be that - when the Wraith shows up - 'all bets are off'. But lately it's a given that the humans will win.

This can still be done. First, we have seen the 'human' side of the Wraith through Todd. THAT is enough. I love the character, want to see the character in more episodes, but I do NOT want to see the Wraith become LIKE this character (case in point: All Klingons became Worf, instead of Worf standing in sharp contrast to his more animalistic and violent brethern).

So...we have Todd as our Wraith moral compass. We KNOW what they are capable of in a good way...NOW - push the envelope and REALLY show us what they are capable of in a BAD way. At the same time, those of us who are fans of the Wraith can be treated to those moments when the Wraith just drop out of the sky and save the SGA team from certain death at the hands of a common foe. Why save the team? Because, you NEVER know when the Wraith are gonna want a snack...

Keep the threat REAL, and don't water them down as a race like the Klingons eventually were in ST.

das
                            sigpic

Comment

A lot of you keep refering to the Wraithe as being evil when in fact they are not. McKay even points this out in an earlier episode. The Wraithe feed on humans because that is thier food source. If they didnt need humans for food then they would most likely leave us alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X