Gate destroying ancient weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate destroying ancient weapon

In all the years since the ep aired, i have wondered why the ancients built that device which Anubis turned on us humans to try and destroy our gate (end season 5 beginning season6)..

Just because anubis used it to destroy the earth gate doesn't mean that was its original purpose, But yes i agree it does seem a silly creation.
    "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

maybe some way to keep the gate open longer than the 38 minutes but turned out to have nasty side effects. Or the millions of years werent exactly peaceful.
      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

The weapon was build to destroy gates located on very hostile planets, like toxic atmosphere, completely molten surface, etc.

Comment

i suspect that the device was originally intended to transfer power to between worlds for some purpose.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
            The weapon was possibly build to destroy gates located on very hostile planets, like toxic atmosphere, completely molten surface, etc.
            That is what you meant isnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by Not_Fazed View Post
              That is what you meant isnt it?
              "most likely builT" was what I meant. lol

Comment

designed to slowly overload the gate on the otherside for reasons unknown but anubis had plans for it
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  In all the years since the ep aired, i have wondered why the ancients built that device which Anubis turned on us humans to try and destroy our gate (end season 5 beginning season6)..
                  Well, I don't know. That structure was shielded against ground assaults.
                  So even if you'd think that it was only used to transmit power to other places via stargates, the shield seems to indicate that at some point, it's been used to blow stargates up.

Maybe some Lantian decided to put an end to the Goa'uld, by blowing up some stargates?
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

maybe it could have been built to cause a gate to have a slow charge so it could dial other galaxies without the aide of a ZPM or an equivalent power source. If my understanding is right, if they got the gate to a certain point they could shut off and dial out for a one time use safely.
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Maybe they were just researching wormhole physics.

After all, if they knew that the gate could be opened indefinitely, stands to reason they would want to know what kind of effects it opened up.

Yes the gate would eventually overload and detonate, but I doubt they intended to push it THAT far.

Comment

and the shield was in case of an overload

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                          maybe it could have been built to cause a gate to have a slow charge so it could dial other galaxies without the aide of a ZPM or an equivalent power source. If my understanding is right, if they got the gate to a certain point they could shut off and dial out for a one time use safely.
                          thats not a bad theory i give ya green
                          sigpic

Comment

My guess would be that it was never intended for regular dialing, but rather for inter-galactic dialing and/or holding a gate open longer than the usual 38 minutes.

The side effect of dialing in the same galaxy may be that it overcharges the destination gate.

This may also due to Anubis modifying the device for his fiendish purposes. Just because the device does destroy the destination gate doesn't mean that is it's intended purpose. It probably wasn't a weapon until Anubis messed with it.

My secondary guess is that the Ori used a similar device to deliver their Priors to the MW and to project the required power to establish their beach head planet shield.
                            Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Quite possible, The ancients have giant spaceships. They wouldn't have needed that device to detonate the gates on hostile planets, they could have just taken them off the planet.

The device possibly was used for the galaxy dialing but when they lived in the milky way galaxy, as far as we know the Asguard lived only in MW and didn't live in the Ida galaxy

Comment

Working...
                              X