Time Travel paradoxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Travel paradoxes

This is a hypothetical question, I know time travel has not been proven yet. But it hasn't been disproven either. I don't know too much about how time travel is used in the Stargate universe. But do they ever talk about the grandfather paradox? For those who do not know what the grandfather paradox is it is this: If you travel back in time and kill one of your ancestors, would you ever have been born to go back and kill him?
    My question: If you kill him, then you would never have been born. If you had never been born you would not have killed him, so then if you had not killed him you would have been born and would have been able to go back and kill him. Try not to think about this question too much you might get confused.

What are some other paradoxes about time travel?
    What kind if any are used in Stargate?
    Last edited by Dark Soul; 11 January 2008, 01:10 PM.

Originally posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I don't know too much about how time travel is used in the Stargate universe. But do they ever talk about the grandfather paradox? For those who do not know what the grandfather paradox is it is this: If you travel back in time and kill one of your ancestors, would you ever have been born to go back and kill him?
    My question: If you kill him, then you would never have been born. If you had never been born you would not have killed him, so then if you had not killed him you would have been born and would have been able to go back and kill him. Try not to think about this question too much you might get confused.

Well they used the Grandfather paradox in Moebius Part I & II. For any other I would think that in unending when teal'c had a good fifty years on everybody else.
    He was told to not say anything for the purpose that the younger versions of the team would change their lives based upon what happen in the time dilation field.
    sigpic
    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Soul View Post
      I don't know too much about how time travel is used in the Stargate universe. But do they ever talk about the grandfather paradox? For those who do not know what the grandfather paradox is it is this: If you travel back in time and kill one of your ancestors, would you ever have been born to go back and kill him?

Well my answer to that paradox is that in the universe you came from your grandfather was never killed but when killing your grandfather you created a parallel universe where you weren't born but that doesn't change the universe you came from.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by !!?? View Post
        Well my answer to that paradox is that in the universe you came from your grandfather was never killed but when killing your grandfather you created a parallel universe where you weren't born but that doesn't change the universe you came from.
        However it will still be bad for you if you can't also travel between 'universes.' Because otherwise you would still be stuck in the alternate 'universe' where you, technically, don't officially exist anywhere. Which will lead to much confusion if you try and just go back to your own time.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
          However it will still be bad for you if you can't also travel between 'universes.' Because otherwise you would still be stuck in the alternate 'universe' where you, technically, don't officially exist anywhere. Which will lead to much confusion if you try and just go back to your own time.
          Well you could find a way to get back to your universe or most likely when you go back to your own time it will automatically take you back to the universe you were in if you used a wormhole to go back in time or another method that connects the two times/universes.
          sigpic

Comment

No one knows, because no one has (publicly) been able to prove time travel is possible or travel back in time.

Comment

Carter talks about the grandfather paradox in season 1 in the episode called 1969

Comment

Well technically time travel hasn't been possible to disprove. But the Alternate Universes seems right.

When traveling from one universe to another i do not think it would be practical to expect to go to the exact same universe you left from because by then there should be an infinite number of universes that has had the same timeline you experienced up until the point you left. I think it would just have to settle for "pretty close" to what you left.
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

stargate universe is paradox proof.

in moebius, the present day is changed without the characters we know and love being removed from time or anything.

in before i sleep, weir1 went back in time and sorted out atlantis, but weir2 didn't have to. logically weir2 would have to repeat the actions of weir1 to keep everything all good.

i believe this is due to "divergent timelines" where rather than time being locked in "destiny" everything that happens causes an AU to be created like forks in the road.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                    stargate universe is paradox proof.

in moebius, the present day is changed without the characters we know and love being removed from time or anything.

in before i sleep, weir1 went back in time and sorted out atlantis, but weir2 didn't have to. logically weir2 would have to repeat the actions of weir1 to keep everything all good.

i believe this is due to "divergent timelines" where rather than time being locked in "destiny" everything that happens causes an AU to be created like forks in the road.
                    That seems to generally be the way time-travel is portrayed in the series.
                    The exception was 1969 which had a causality loop, although how such a loop could come to be was never explained.

Comment

Lets try it out, go back in time an kill someone else's relatives. If they are never born, you know not to kill your own, no matter how annoying they are in the present.

Comment

In the stargate universe they(rodney and carter) talk about quantum theory where each decision splits of onto different timelines for each possible outcome and decision. They don't seem to consider the grandfather affect too much, though it is mentioned as many people have said.
                        Best quotes ever:
                        O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                        Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                        Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                        Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                        Thor:I like the yellow ones
                        O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
                          No one knows, because no one has (publicly) been able to prove time travel is possible or travel back in time.
                          This is all hypothetical of course. Duh
                          Originally posted by Jsmith45 View Post
                          That seems to generally be the way time-travel is portrayed in the series.
                          The exception was 1969 which had a causality loop, although how such a loop could come to be was never explained.
                          I thought it had something to do with the wormhole going through a solar flare? I could be wrong it has been a while since I saw this episode and I forgot about most of the stuff they talked about.
                          Originally posted by !!?? View Post
                          I like this explanation.

I'm just wondering about all of this stuff because I want to write a science fiction book. I want to put all aspects of sci fi in this book, so I want to get other people's opinions about this hypothetical stuff.
                          Last edited by Dark Soul; 11 January 2008, 01:11 PM.

Comment

hey people hav u never seen futurama, fry ends up killin his own granddad and in sick twist become his own grandfather by doin his grandma, lovely lol wat a great episode that was!!

Comment

Originally posted by StargateNexus View Post
                              hey people hav u never seen futurama, fry ends up killin his own granddad and in sick twist become his own grandfather by doin his grandma, lovely lol wat a great episode that was!!
                              LOL I watch sometimes but never seen this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X