PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Keller to return for season five...

morjana
January 9th, 2008, 01:20 AM
From Jewel Staite's blog update for December 31, 2007:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=147037658&blogID=342976322

(Please follow the link for the complete blog update.)

Monday, December 31, 2007

countdown to 2008

**snippage**

I guess it's common knowledge by now that Stargate: Atlantis has been
picked up for a fifth season! Yay! I have exactly two months to get
my ass in gear to fill those unforgiving little grey pants again! I
have no idea what they're planning for season five in terms of
storyline, so don't bother asking, but I'm sure it'll be as harrowing
and action-packed as the fourth, with me up in a friggin harness again over some swelling river or gorge. I'm very pleased, though, and very excited that my Curse of the Canceled Series After I Show Up seems to
be over for now. 'Cause that would have been embarrassing for the eighth time.

**snippage**

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Great news.

Merlin1701
January 9th, 2008, 01:29 AM
what other shows has she been on that have been cancelled, besides firefly?

Ruined_puzzle
January 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM

I remember her from Higher Ground.

morjana
January 9th, 2008, 01:46 AM

Well...according to IMDB there was:

1. "Wonderfalls" .... Heidi Gotts (4 episodes, 2004)
2. "Firefly" .... Kaylee Frye (14 episodes, 2002-2003)
3. "Just Deal" .... Laurel (8 episodes, 2002)
4. Damaged Care (2002) (TV) .... Bryanna (15-20 years)
5. "Higher Ground" .... Daisy Lipenowski (17 episodes, 2000)
6. "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: The TV Show" (5 episodes, 1997-1999)
7. "Space Cases" .... Catalina (14 episodes, 1996)

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 01:46 AM

http://imdb.com/name/nm0821612/

FoolishPleasure
January 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Too bad. I was hoping we would be rid of her.

justhere1971
January 9th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Where does this leave Carson? I thought that campaign was successful?

sueKay
January 9th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I'm hoping they keep both Carson and Keller about...don't like Keller much but I like Jewel :)

Maybe if Carson comes back he can be head of Genetics research seeing as that's his area of expertise rather than being a straight-forward MD like Keller

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Where does this leave Carson? I thought that campaign was successful?

To some extent, they got him back for a two parter. Even if Keller is in season 5 though, that doesn't mean Carson won't be.

Steve_the_Wraith
January 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Rumour has it that Beckett will be recurring next season but no one knows in what capacity.

Back as main doctor on Atlantis (unlikely imo), an offworld ally, an enemy?
Its all up in the base atm

GateLadyM
January 9th, 2008, 06:31 AM
There are rumors everywhere that Carson is supposed to return in season 5, so why are we stuck with Keller, the worst doctor ever seen on TV? Maybe we'll be lucky and she'll return for a time travel episode where she gets hit with the exploding tumor instead of Carson. ;)

Rocky89
January 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
As long as Carter comes back for season 5 I'm happy. :)

Livingstone
January 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I do like Keller, so it's great she will return for season 5. I do wonder what they are going to do with Carson though...

Steve_the_Wraith
January 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Worst doctor ever seen on tv?

Have you been watching tv lately :P
I'd rather watch Keller than Grey's Anatomy :)

Linzi
January 9th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'm not in the slightest bit surprised Keller is returning. It does make me wonder how they're going to sort out everything concerning Carson though. Time will tell.

Briangate78
January 9th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Joe M has already hinted that Carson will be back next season. They will likely keep them both recurring. Think of Carson's role like in Season one, imo. So, I think the folks should be happy if it comes to that. It's better than two eps.

Also, they can afford to have both actors recurring. Paul M and Jewel S are not exactly Box office payed actors. :S

BTW, watch the Kindred, it will give us an idea how Keller and Carson will work on Screen together.

Wormhole
January 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I wouldn’t mind seeing both Carson and Keller together. Even better if they get equal viewing time:).

ToasterOnFire
January 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Meh. I'm more interested in hearing whether or not everyone else is returning. ;)

Briangate78
January 9th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Meh. I'm more interested in hearing whether or not everyone else is returning. ;)

I actually think the chances for Weir to return are now higher than Carson's. Well until we see the kindred, then they will likely have both an excellent chance. :)

reddevil18
January 9th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I actually think the chances for Weir to return are now higher than Carson's. Well until we see the kindred, then they will likely have both an excellent chance. :)

Well, it's been confirmed on J.M.'s blog that Weir's arc will definately be continued in season 5 and they already know where they're going with it. So, yeah, the chances of Weir returning are definately higher. I don't think Carson will be back in season 5.

Pajus
January 9th, 2008, 07:34 AM
There goes the last chance for this show to get a S6...

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Really, how so?

Briangate78
January 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM

*looks up at thread title* Ok this is not the anti-thread so here I go.......

After the show just pulled it's best ratings since the Season 3 Finale, and won the People's choice awards, and had one of the best received episodes of the series. I think it's safe to say Season 6 is very believable now!

Well, it's been confirmed on J.M.'s blog that Weir's arc will definately be continued in season 5 and they already know where they're going with it. So, yeah, the chances of Weir returning are definately higher. I don't think Carson will be back in season 5.

Yeah, I just hope it's more than 3 or 4 eps! I want at least 5 of Weir. I also like to see Carson in a bunch as well. This is all very realistic and can likely happen. So many hints and well the obvious one was at the end of "BAMSR" :)

FoolishPleasure
January 9th, 2008, 08:02 AM
After the show just pulled it's best ratings since the Season 3 Finale, and won the People's choice awards, and had one of the best received episodes of the series. I think it's safe to say Season 6 is very believable now!

Remember, Keller wasn't in BAMSR, nor did she spend much time in the "good" episodes. Her big chance at stardom was "Missing" and Keller was DREADFUL. I got a headache listening to her whining and crying and she completely ruined what should have been a great Teyla-centric episode (and Teyla gets woefully little screen time as it is).

The less Keller is better, IMO.

jelgate
January 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Can't we have best of both worlds??* Lets have both Keller and Beckett as reccuring characters for S5. I look forward to seeing her next season.

Pharaoh Atem
January 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
i want to see a more "brave" side to her and not whatwe saw in missing :S

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
What for?

Vespasianus
January 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM
i want to see a more "brave" side to her and not whatwe saw in missing :SHonestly, how would YOU have reacted if dozens of cannibals with axes wanted to kill you in a forest? And as an added bonus, your ankle is dislocated (sorry, I don't know the word for what happened to her leg in that ep).

I think she became in the end of Missing, she survived. Nobody's born brave, she's found her strength and braveness in that episode. Consider it as her big journey as a characeter.

I'm glad she returns with Beckett.

Pharaoh Atem
January 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
so her and Paul mcgillion are both coming back????

or are people just being hopeful ?

erb
January 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Oh joy. Now if Lucius returns as well, my life will be complete.:rolleyes:

GateLadyM
January 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Oh joy. Now if Lucius returns as well, my life will be complete.:rolleyes:

Lucius and Keller are made for each other! *LOL*

SGFerrit
January 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Honestly, how would YOU have reacted if dozens of cannibals with axes wanted to kill you in a forest? And as an added bonus, your ankle is dislocated (sorry, I don't know the word for what happened to her leg in that ep).

I think she became in the end of Missing, she survived. Nobody's born brave, she's found her strength and braveness in that episode. Consider it as her big journey as a characeter.

I'm glad she returns with Beckett.

Totally agree. So that's Teyla and Keller now confirmed to return. I highly doubt Sheppard, Rodney or Ronan will leave either:)

Now we only need confrimation of Carson, Carter and Weir.

Killdeer
January 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Totally agree. So that's Teyla and Keller now confirmed to return. I highly doubt Sheppard, Rodney or Ronan will leave either:)

Now we only need confrimation of Carson, Carter and Weir.

Didn't Joe Flanigan say at a recent con that he was confirmed for S5? And I think the whole discussion about Jason's dreads comfirms that he will be around for S5.

I doubt Rodney's going anywhere, though I don't recall seeing anything specific.

Yes, news on Carson, Carter and Weir would be good. And I'd like to know in what capacity Jewel is returning (full-time? Part-time? More episodes than this year? Less?) And confirmation that Zelenka is coming back would be nice too. And Lorne. But I'm more worried about Zelenka. :)

Ruined_puzzle
January 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Worst doctor ever seen on tv?

Have you been watching tv lately :P
I'd rather watch Keller than Grey's Anatomy :)

I don't know which one is worse Keller or Merideth. :eek:

Briangate78
January 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Yes and No. There are a lot of hints, but Joe M and the rest of the producers have been very quiet about it. They did say they will be revisiting Weir's story arc next season, and yet people think she will never return still. :S

Killdeer
January 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Yes and No. There are a lot of hints, but Joe M and the rest of the producers have been very quiet about it. They did say they will be revisiting Weir's story arc next season, and yet people think she will never return still. :S

Well, it depends. Is it really her or not? We don't know yet. I'm happy that they are revisiting her arc though, and as long as it's really her and she's not an enemy, I'd be happy with 5 episodes. :D

And now returning you to the Keller discussion. So we know Keller will be back in S5, but we don't know whether FT or part time or whether she'll still be Head of Medicine, etc, etc. I wouldn't mind her staying around in a recurring role, but....I would rather someone else be Head of Medicine.

EDIT: Moving paragraph to a different thread....

Briangate78
January 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Well, it depends. Is it really her or not? We don't know yet. I'm happy that they are revisiting her arc though, and as long as it's really her and she's not an enemy, I'd be happy with 5 episodes. :D

And now returning you to the Keller discussion. So we know Keller will be back in S5, but we don't know whether FT or part time or whether she'll still be Head of Medicine, etc, etc. I wouldn't mind her staying around in a recurring role, but....I would rather someone else be Head of Medicine.

I don't know if it's the real Weir or not. But I am saying Torri's chances to reprise her role next season just went through the roof. Why would they not bring Torri back if they were continuing this story arc, ya know?

kimaken
January 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Much as I'd love to have Beckett back, I doubt it'll happen. He'll probably get killed off (again...for real) or get sent back to Earth. If it's the latter, there'll be the possibility of an occasional visit once in awhile.

Jumper_One
January 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Much as I'd love to have Beckett back, I doubt it'll happen. He'll probably get killed off (again...for real) or get sent back to Earth. If it's the latter, there'll be the possibility of an occasional visit once in awhile.

I disagree, I think the team will find Beckett in The Kindred Part 2 and bring him home (Atlantis) where he'll stay and become a recurring character in s5

Killdeer
January 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I disagree, I think the team will find Beckett in The Kindred Part 2 and bring him home (Atlantis) where he'll stay and become a recurring character in s5

Yay! That would be awesome. :D

Jumper_One
January 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Yay! That would be awesome. :D

:indeed:

Briangate78
January 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM

I like the way you think and totally agree. ;)

Killdeer
January 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I like the way you think and totally agree. ;)

I also agree, obviously, but....question. I thought Beckett was in two episodes this season. How can that be if the team doesn't find him until Kindred 2?

Jumper_One
January 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I also agree, obviously, but....question. I thought Beckett was in two episodes this season. How can that be if the team doesn't find him until Kindred 2?

we don't know if the team finds him in Part 2. I'm just guessing because I believe the first part will deal with Teyla being captured by Michael

Briangate78
January 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
we don't know if the team finds him in Part 2. I'm just guessing because I believe the first part will deal with Teyla being captured by Michael

It could cut to scenes back and forth with Carson being captive and perhaps Teyla is the one who makes the discovery at first, then later the team finds him. It should be a really great 2 part episode. I think a lot is riding on these eps.

Jumper_One
January 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
It could cut to scenes back and forth with Carson being captive and perhaps Teyla is the one who makes the discovery at first, then later the team finds him. It should be a really great 2 part episode. I think a lot is riding on these eps.

if Michael captures Teyla then she will most certainly be the first one to see Carson again. I guess the team will look for Teyla and in the process 'stumble' upon Carson

Arica12
January 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Keller. In Season 5.

I knew that we were going to have to pay for BAMSR being so good.

Killdeer
January 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Keller. In Season 5.

:lol:

Arica12
January 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Hang on, let's nobody overreact. I just read her full blog, she doesn't say anything about what episodes she's going to be in, this may not be as bad as we are fearing, I mean I can't stand the character but if it was for one or two, even three episodes I could put up with her. Especially if we got a lovely pay off for it (from the promo's doesn't everyone think Michael is looking a bit thin? Might need a snack, hint hint hint).

Jumper_One
January 9th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hang on, let's nobody overreact. I just read her full blog, she doesn't say anything about what episodes she's going to be in, this may not be as bad as we are fearing, I mean I can't stand the character but if it was for one or two, even three episodes I could put up with her. Especially if we got a lovely pay off for it (from the promo's doesn't everyone think Michael is looking a bit thin? Might need a snack, hint hint hint).

I think it's quite possible to keep her even if Beckett returns. Rodney has Zelenka as backup why can't Beckett have Keller?

Mitchell82
January 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
From Jewel Staite's blog update for December 31, 2007:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=147037658&blogID=342976322

(Please follow the link for the complete blog update.)

Monday, December 31, 2007

countdown to 2008

**snippage**

I guess it's common knowledge by now that Stargate: Atlantis has been
picked up for a fifth season! Yay! I have exactly two months to get
my ass in gear to fill those unforgiving little grey pants again! I
have no idea what they're planning for season five in terms of
storyline, so don't bother asking, but I'm sure it'll be as harrowing
and action-packed as the fourth, with me up in a friggin harness again over some swelling river or gorge. I'm very pleased, though, and very excited that my Curse of the Canceled Series After I Show Up seems to
be over for now. 'Cause that would have been embarrassing for the eighth time.

**snippage**
Great news! Great to have her back.

Jumper_One
January 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Great news! Great to have her back.

so I guess Keller's gonna be in s5

Mitchell82
January 9th, 2008, 03:15 PM
so I guess Keller's gonna be in s5

Yup. Now lets speculate how Keller and Carson could both return if TPTB want to do it.

Arica12
January 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM
My cup of joy runneth over

Jumper_One
January 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yup. Now lets speculate how Keller and Carson could both return if TPTB want to do it.

I hope to see both next season. Rodney has Zelenka as backup, why can't Beckett have Keller (or something like that)? it'd be somehow odd just to get rid of her, I mean TBTB tried to do something with the character this season and it wasn't a waste of time imo. I say let Cason come back but keep Keller!

Arica12
January 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I hope to see both next season. Rodney has Zelenka as backup, why can't Beckett have Keller (or something like that)? it'd be somehow odd just to get rid of her, I mean TBTB tried to do something with the character this season and it wasn't a waste of time imo. I say let Cason come back but keep Keller!

I have an even better idea, let's have Keller fed on by the Wraith (V. satisfying) and then have them find RepliKeller and keep her.

Everyone happy

Fenrir Foxz
January 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM

I agree...
There is no reason IMO why Carson can't return and resume his post as head of the med department, Keller originally didn't want that post and I believe she would gladly step down and let Beckett resume the position...

And just as Jumper One put it, McKay has Zelenka to back him up, Beckett would be at a loss not to have someone as his second...

Mitchell82
January 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM

I doubt that.

Platschu
January 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Maybe the season opener will be a good opportunity! :evil Platschu:

Killdeer
January 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
There is no reason IMO why Carson can't return and resume his post as head of the med department, Keller originally didn't want that post and I believe she would gladly step down and let Beckett resume the position....

That I could live with. :D

Jumper_One
January 9th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I have an even better idea, let's have Keller fed on by the Wraith (V. satisfying) and then have them find RepliKeller and keep her.

Everyone happy

:P

I agree...
There is no reason IMO why Carson can't return and resume his post as head of the med department, Keller originally didn't want that post and I believe she would gladly step down and let Beckett resume the position...

And just as Jumper One put it, McKay has Zelenka to back him up, Beckett would be at a loss not to have someone as his second...

agreed

I doubt that.

me too

Livingstone
January 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I don't think both will become regulars, that doesn't seem logical. It would be like having Dr. Crusher and Dr. Pulaski at the same time on the Enterprise. (I loved Dr. Pulaski by the way, though most people hated her.)

Killdeer
January 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think both will become regulars, that doesn't seem logical. It would be like having Dr. Crusher and Dr. Pulaski at the same time on the Enterprise. (I loved Dr. Pulaski by the way, though most people hated her.)

I also preferred Pulaski to Crusher. Pulaski was awesome. :D

Mitchell82
January 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Well Keller isn't a regular and Carson wouldn't be either just recurring.

dec55
January 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Keller. In Season 5.

Wooohooo!! And have her in the credits this time!!!!

Krissie678
June 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I can't wait to see more of Keller in season 5. We haven't had a lot of time to get to know her character very well because of her guest starring role, but what I've seen really makes me like her. Now that we will see her more often I can't wait to see how Jewel will portrey her.:):):)

chensuu
June 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I can't wait to see more of Keller in season 5. We haven't had a lot of time to get to know her character very well because of her guest starring role, but what I've seen really makes me like her. Now that we will see her more often I can't wait to see how Jewel will portrey her.:):):)

Wow, to be honest I thought we found out more about Keller in one season as a recurring character than we found out about Sheppard in 4 seasons! :sheppard:

Krissie678
June 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Wow, to be honest I thought we found out more about Keller in one season as a recurring character than we found out about Sheppard in 4 seasons! :sheppard:

What I meant was that yes we got to know her backstory, but we are yet to see a ep with her as the main focus that the main characters get. It's just been bits and pieces from different episodes pieced together. Does that make any sense? I'm really bad at explaining stuff.

prion
June 11th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Basically, Keller was a shiny new toy for the writers and as usual, they wanted to play with it a lot more. Sigh.... we do know more about Keller than we do about Sheppard, or even Teyla.

chensuu
June 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
What I meant was that yes we got to know her backstory, but we are yet to see a ep with her as the main focus that the main characters get. It's just been bits and pieces from different episodes pieced together. Does that make any sense? I'm really bad at explaining stuff.

That's quite alright. You're explaining yourself fine! But I thought that both Missing and Trio where Keller focused and she had a big role in quite a few others...Quarantine comes to mind.

Basically, Keller was a shiny new toy for the writers and as usual, they wanted to play with it a lot more. Sigh.... we do know more about Keller than we do about Sheppard, or even Teyla.

And sadly I don't see that trend changing next season! :sheppard::ronan::teyla::mckay:

Briangate78
June 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM

We learned a lot about Sheppard and Teyla over the 4 years, imo. The writers are going to use what we learned about these characters and apply them in Season 5. A good example will be for Teyla in "The Queen".

chensuu
June 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
We learned a lot about Sheppard and Teyla over the 4 years, imo. The writers are going to use what we learned about these characters and apply them in Season 5. A good example will be for Teyla in "The Queen".

Any good examples for Sheppard?

Seriously I hope we learned something about Teyla and Shep. They were full time characters on the show for four years. :sheppard:

But Keller as a bit player, has had more development and character interaction than any other recurring character I can recall in the same short time frame. I think Prion's description of "shiny new toy" was quite apt. The producers were getting her ready for bigger and better things.

Briangate78
June 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Any good examples for Sheppard?

Seriously I hope we learned something about Teyla and Shep. They were full time characters on the show for four years. :sheppard:

But Keller as a bit player, has had more development and character interaction than any other recurring character I can recall in the same short time frame. I think Prion's description of "shiny new toy" was quite apt. The producers were getting her ready for bigger and better things.

Yes, Sheppard's dark personality.

chensuu
June 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Yes, Sheppard's dark personality.

I remember seeing that in full force when Sheppard killed Bob in the Seige and then not again until Miller's Crossing unless I've forgotten about something big. So, yeah, it took them three years. :sheppard:

But it's something.

PG15
June 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Does "Michael" count? ;)

Briangate78
June 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I remember seeing that in full force when Sheppard killed Bob in the Seige and then not again until Miller's Crossing unless I've forgotten about something big. So, yeah, it took them three years. :sheppard:

But it's something.

This is what I got from Sheppard's darker personality. He'll usually um what's the word "Push the envelope" when trying to solve a problem. Sheppard said he would do anything for his friends, but how far would he go, and what sacrifices does he make to save someone else. Here are a few examples I can think of....

Rising Part 1 : Killing Col Sumner
The Eye: Sheppard goes on a killing spree thinking Weir is dead
Seige: Killing Bob the Wraith
Seige Part 2: Going on a suicide mission to save Atlantis
Common Ground: Teams up with the enemy to survive
Return: Disobeys direct orders and put entire team at risk.
Adrift: Order's Mckay to shut off the nanites knowing it will kill Dr. Weir
Lifeline: Orders Mckay once again to shut off the nanites.
Miller's Crossing: Pursuades another person to take their life inorder to save Mckay's sister's life.
This Mortal Coil: Agrees to allow repli-team to sacrifice themselves. Talk about moral decisions.

I see Sheppard as taking more risks and will do something over the top. The moment he shot Col Sumner told me what kind of character he was, and is one of the reasons why he is my favorite character. Sheppard will take the risks, he would sarcrifice someone if it meant saving the lot of other lives. Weir being a perfect example. Now how close was Sheppard and Weir? It makes me feel like sometimes I am the only one who sees this drama. :p

chensuu
June 12th, 2008, 03:51 AM
This is what I got from Sheppard's darker personality. He'll usually um what's the word "Push the envelope" when trying to solve a problem. Sheppard said he would do anything for his friends, but how far would he go, and what sacrifices does he make to save someone else. Here are a few examples I can think of....

Rising Part 1 : Killing Col Sumner
The Eye: Sheppard goes on a killing spree thinking Weir is dead
Seige: Killing Bob the Wraith
Seige Part 2: Going on a suicide mission to save Atlantis
Common Ground: Teams up with the enemy to survive
Return: Disobeys direct orders and put entire team at risk.
Adrift: Order's Mckay to shut off the nanites knowing it will kill Dr. Weir
Lifeline: Orders Mckay once again to shut off the nanites.
Miller's Crossing: Pursuades another person to take their life inorder to save Mckay's sister's life.
This Mortal Coil: Agrees to allow repli-team to sacrifice themselves. Talk about moral decisions.

I see Sheppard as taking more risks and will do something over the top. The moment he shot Col Sumner told me what kind of character he was, and is one of the reasons why he is my favorite character. Sheppard will take the risks, he would sarcrifice someone if it meant saving the lot of other lives. Weir being a perfect example. Now how close was Sheppard and Weir? It makes me feel like sometimes I am the only one who sees this drama. :p

Nice description of Sheppard and episode play by play. Shep's my favorite character too and now I like him even more!

I just don't agree that all the episodes you mentioned showcase his personality as "dark" although they do present him as complicated, desperate, intelligent, calculating, vulnerable, cold and certainly able to make the hard decisions. I agree that Seige and Miller's Crossing were quite questionable and that Sheppard does give up a lot of himself in some of the decisions he makes. Miller's Crossing was like a punch in the gut and took me by surprise. I really enjoyed being shocked by the outcome.

That said...my main problem with Keller is that I felt like I was being inundated with too much information too soon and to me it felt like cheating. With Sheppard we weren't told many definites and therefore like with your descriptions and my ideas, we were able to "infer" a lot of what we enjoy about his character. With Keller I feel like I'm being instructed on how I should feel about her, who she likes, what she does, her family life, her past etc and all before she was even a full time character. So in closing this great Sheppard :sheppard: discussion let me say that yes, I think Keller had a lot of screentime in season 4. More than I think was warranted as a recurring character.

Pic
June 12th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Perhaps part of that is that s4 had such a large character shake-up that it seemed to push Keller to the forefront.
I'm thinking that it's a matter of Weir & Carson being gone and RL's pregnancy that lent the recurring characters more screen time in a practical sense. We still had a lot of the McKay/Sheppard episodes in s4.
Yes, they could've possibly done more with Radek and/or Lorne, but they chose Keller and I'm not opposed to their decision in that regard.

chensuu
June 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Perhaps part of that is that s4 had such a large character shake-up that it seemed to push Keller to the forefront.
I'm thinking that it's a matter of Weir & Carson being gone and RL's pregnancy that lent the recurring characters more screen time in a practical sense. We still had a lot of the McKay/Sheppard episodes in s4.
Yes, they could've possibly done more with Radek and/or Lorne, but they chose Keller and I'm not opposed to their decision in that regard.

Cool, that's your opinion. Personally I would have much rather seen Radek or Lorne. They've been on the show for three to four years as recurring characters and never had one big ep, let alone two big eps, in a season like Keller had in season 4, or been linked romantically with not one but two characters, or sat down to breakfast witht the gang. I would have much perferred team episodes to be honest. I don't see Keller as part of the team and those are the episodes I enjoy best! :sheppard::mckay::teyla::ronan:

maxbo
June 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Cool, that's your opinion. Personally I would have much rather seen Radek or Lorne. They've been on the show for three to four years as recurring characters and never had one big ep, let alone two big eps, in a season like Keller had in season 4, or been linked romantically with not one but two characters, or sat down to breakfast witht the gang. I would have much perferred team episodes to be honest. I don't see Keller as part of the team and those are the episodes I enjoy best! :sheppard::mckay::teyla::ronan:

I agree. Some of Keller's Season 4 screen time should have been split between Radek and Lorne. After all, they had been recurring characters for years, yet never had an episode devoted to them - while Keller has been the focus of several episodes.

The only reason I can see for this Keller-focus is that TPTB loved the character and believed the audience would also love her - once we got to know her. So, they decided to make sure we got to know her as quickly as possible by overloading Season 4 with her. Unfortunately, this strategy backfired with me because the more she was featured, the less I liked her. Mainly because TPTB didn't seem to have a handle on the character.

In Season 3's First Strike, I thought they did a good job in writing Keller as a young woman who was out of her element as CMO, but dedicated enough to take on the role when no one else wanted it. I saw a character who was probably a lot stronger than she thought she was and was looking forward to seeing her story unfold. Unfortunately, by the end of Season 4, TPTB seemed to forget the First Strike Keller in favor of using the character as a plot device.

IMO, they should have figured out who Keller was first and then slowly introduced her to the audience. As it stands now, I feel like I'm supposed to love Keller because TPTB believes I should and that doesn't work for me.

elliecat
June 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM

I totally agree! If the main cast members were unavailable for one reason or another (babies etc) then why couldn't we have had Radek or Lorne in these episodes instead of Keller? They are both very popular characters from what I can tell reading these boards and have been on Atlantis for 3/4 years. I would have loved an episode about Zelenka, seeing things from his point of view for a change maybe. But no we get this new character Keller shoved down our throats because she is a 'shiny new toy' and can be shipped with main characters. :rolleyes:

chensuu
June 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
In Season 3's First Strike, I thought they did a good job in writing Keller as a young woman who was out of her element as CMO, but dedicated enough to take on the role when no one else wanted it. I saw a character who was probably a lot stronger than she thought she was and was looking forward to seeing her story unfold. Unfortunately, by the end of Season 4, TPTB seemed to forget the First Strike Keller in favor of using the character as a plot device.

IMO, they should have figured out who Keller was first and then slowly introduced her to the audience. As it stands now, I feel like I'm supposed to love Keller because TPTB believes I should and that doesn't work for me.

Yes, definitely. I didn't really take notice of Keller in First Strike but she seemed okay enough in Adrift so I decided to take a wait and see attitude. Then suddenly in Doppelganger she was sitting down to breakfast with most of the team talking about nightmares as if she'd known them forever and I guess I'm shallow on some level because it completely rubbed me the wrong way. Sadly this seemingly innocuous move was the beginning of what I felt to be too much too soon Keller.
:sheppard::mckay::teyla::ronan:

elliecat
June 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Yes, definitely. I didn't really take notice of Keller in First Strike but she seemed okay enough in Adrift so I decided to take a wait and see attitude. Then suddenly in Doppelganger she was sitting down to breakfast with most of the team talking about nightmares as if she'd known them forever and I guess I'm shallow on some level because it completely rubbed me the wrong way. Sadly this seemingly innocuous move was the beginning of what I felt to be too much too soon Keller.

That was the turning point for me aswell. When she sat down to breakfast with the team I was like, woah what's going on? Even Liz and Carson never sat with the team and that didn't sit well with me either! It might not be much to some people but it really was a major thing for me.

In first strike I didn't hate her at all, I wasn't interested in her either, she was just there doing her job. But shoving her in with the team before even getting to know her and deciding whether or not I liked her character? That was a bad move on TPTB's part imo.

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
That was the turning point for me aswell. When she sat down to breakfast with the team I was like, woah what's going on? Even Liz and Carson never sat with the team and that didn't sit well with me either! It might not be much to some people but it really was a major thing for me.

In first strike I didn't hate her at all, I wasn't interested in her either, she was just there doing her job. But shoving her in with the team before even getting to know her and deciding whether or not I liked her character? That was a bad move on TPTB's part imo.

I remember writing at the time that she was okay in First Strike but unless handled carefully could become annoying very quickly.:(

elliecat
June 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I remember writing at the time that she was okay in First Strike but unless handled carefully could become annoying very quickly.:(

Ah, how right you were. :(

Pic
June 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Like I said, perhaps they could have given more screen time to Radek or Lorne (which I would've applauded) but didn't. Radek scenes are almost always full of humor and it's good to see that Sheppard isn't the only capable earth-military-man on base.

Now that Keller is to be a regular in s5, do you think that was what they were leading up to when featuring her in so many eps during s4?

I hadn't thought about the whole 'joining the team' in the mess hall angle. Part of me sees your symbolism, like the character is being pushed into a close knit group of people who've been through a lot together. Part of me is reminded of cliques in high school. I'm going to go with the symbolism aspect and say that TPTB must've been making a conscious decision to indicate to the audience that there are new players in Atlantis and that the structure of all things may not be as stable as one thinks. Think about it ~ they had SG-1 to run with a new team after many years and perhaps wanted a way to have the SGA team seem more fluid and not as entrenched as SG-1 had become before s8.

Just rambling thinking out loud, not meant to step on anyone's toes or bash anyone's opinions. Maybe the angst of not knowing if the team will remain intact or not is meant to add an element here. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Ah, how right you were. :(

Yeah I wasn't wild about her, but nor did I find her terribly annoying at that stage either and again while I had reservations in the first couple of episodes of Season 4 I didn't detest her.

No for me Missing delivered a crippling wound, by Quarantine the character was on life support for me and Trio....well the less said the better

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Like I said, perhaps they could have given more screen time to Radek or Lorne (which I would've applauded) but didn't. Radek scenes are almost always full of humor and it's good to see that Sheppard isn't the only capable earth-military-man on base.

Now that Keller is to be a regular in s5, do you think that was what they were leading up to when featuring her in so many eps during s4?

I hadn't thought about the whole 'joining the team' in the mess hall angle. Part of me sees your symbolism, like the character is being pushed into a close knit group of people who've been through a lot together. Part of me is reminded of cliques in high school. I'm going to go with the symbolism aspect and say that TPTB must've been making a conscious decision to indicate to the audience that there are new players in Atlantis and that the structure of all things may not be as stable as one thinks. Think about it ~ they had SG-1 to run with a new team after many years and perhaps wanted a way to have the SGA team seem more fluid and not as entrenched as SG-1 had become before s8.

Just rambling thinking out loud, not meant to step on anyone's toes or bash anyone's opinions. Maybe the angst of not knowing if the team will remain intact or not is meant to add an element here. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

You know you raise some really good points, however, and it's a big however, whatever the rationale, I just don't like this character, for me the damage is done and I honestly don't think it can be undone. And I think a lot of people feel that way. Others like her and that's great, but I don't think we're ever going to get to the point we're at with most of the other characters where while not universally popular they are at least popular with a CLEAR majority. But as I say just my opinion.

maxbo
June 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM

You two were quicker on the draw than I was because I didn't realize until the second half of Season 4 that Doppleganger was the first sign of Keller overload. At the time, I thought it was a good idea to try to integrate Keller into the team because I believed that, as a recurring character, she wouldn't get much screen time.
Boy, was I wrong! :lol:

In fact, I had to be hit over the head with a hammer because I didn't even have a problem with her in Missing, even though that episode was more about her than about Teyla. Again, I told myself that as a recurring character she wouldn't get much screentime, so I didn't begrudge her that time in the spotlight.

It didn't sink in for me that there was too much Keller until Quarantine. After that, there was no turning back. That was when I realized that I just wasn't that interested in the character and didn't understand why she had been featured so much.

Briangate78
June 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Don't you guys feel bad that you are making Keller cry? :p

elliecat
June 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
You two were quicker on the draw than I was because I didn't realize until the second half of Season 4 that Doppleganger was the first sign of Keller overload. At the time, I thought it was a good idea to try to integrate Keller into the team because I believed that, as a recurring character, she wouldn't get much screen time.Boy, was I wrong! :lol:

In fact, I had to be hit over the head with a hammer because I didn't even have a problem with her in Missing, even though that episode was more about her than about Teyla. Again, I told myself that as a recurring character she wouldn't get much screentime, so I didn't begrudge her that time in the spotlight.

It didn't sink in for me that there was too much Keller until Quarantine. After that, there was no turning back. That was when I realized that I just wasn't that interested in the character and didn't understand why she had been featured so much.

I thought like that in First Strike! I didn't mind her because I thought she was recurring and even in Doppleganger I thought that must be the most we will ever see of her (and she played quite a big part imo) but no, there she was again in Missing playing a huge role! I was thinking where are the rest of the team the whole way through that episode! :confused:

And then Quarantine came along. Well that was it for me ever liking Keller. That was when I truly started to loath this character! I still can't get my head around the fact that she was so heavily featured in season 4 apart from to try and set up this stupid love triangle. ;)

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Do you think she feels bad she's ruining the show :P

In a word no.

(And that would be in part because she is after all a fictional character - unless of course I've gotten it wrong all along and Atlantis in in fact a documentary series.....in which case please extend my apologies to Dr Keller!)

g.o.d
June 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM

who cares :p

g.o.d
June 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Do you think she feels bad she's ruining the show :P

she's not ruining the show, TPTB are;)

Briangate78
June 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
You guys know I was just teasing right? :)

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
You guys know I was just teasing right? :)

Yes we know, but we're running with it;)

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
she's not ruining the show, TPTB are;)

Yes but she's their avatar!;)

jelgate
June 12th, 2008, 12:25 PM
unless of course I've gotten it wrong all along and Atlantis in in fact a documentary series.....in which case please extend my apologies to Dr Keller!)I thought you guys knew. I am in fact Dr. Mckay. Now if you excuse me I have to save the city from the evil robot Zelenka with my genius mind.

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I thought you guys knew. I am in fact Dr. Mckay. Now if you excuse me I have to save the city from the evil robot Zelenka with my genius mind.

Darn and my money was on you being Zelenka!

jelgate
June 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Darn and my money was on you being Zelenka!What happened to Zelenka was so sad.

Rac80
June 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM

In Doppleganger the eating together didn't bother me because it was a plot-line--- people comparing notes on sheppard in their dreams. How do you know you are all dreaming about sheppard (and not in agood way!) without comparing notes?
I like the bringing of new people in, SG1 always bothered me because I heard from military friends and family that you are never that stable in aposting... 4 years if you are lucky! with sg1 going sooooooooooo long all together with no changes in the military personnel it was very unrealistic (ok I kow it is scifi :P )so if sga changes things around every 4 years or so that is fine with me.
I like keller and am interested in seeing how they write her for s5... I just don't want a BSG-style soap! :S

Reiko
June 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
» I like Jewel but hate the Keller character. I would like it if RepliKeller was brought back as a villain. (Hey, I can dream...)

Rac80
June 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
» I like Jewel but hate the Keller character. I would like it if RepliKeller was brought back as a villain. (Hey, I can dream...)

RepliKeller was good...not a villian. she wanted to learn to ascend, and she sacrificed herself, and she gave the "team" a way to track Asuran ships. :D

Reiko
June 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
» Villain, recurring character whatever - I would like her to be the type you never know whose side she's on. Better than Larrin ;)

Pic
June 18th, 2008, 07:29 PM
» Villain, recurring character whatever - I would like her to be the type you never know whose side she's on. Better than Larrin ;)

RepliKeller was pretty cool. Cold, calculating, with a sweet innocent smile.
*is scared*

I've been trying to stay away from s5 spoilers too much (frankly there's just to much of it to sift through) ~ does anyone know if she's due for a return?

Oh, and, Larrin who? ;)

Rac80
July 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM
RepliKeller was pretty cool. Cold, calculating, with a sweet innocent smile.
*is scared*

I've been trying to stay away from s5 spoilers too much (frankly there's just to much of it to sift through) ~ does anyone know if she's due for a return?

Oh, and, Larrin who? ;)

The dominatrix chick who was the "leader" of the travelers in season 4 (ep 5 I thinks)

Pic
July 11th, 2008, 05:27 AM
The dominatrix chick who was the "leader" of the travelers in season 4 (ep 5 I thinks)

Yes, but I'm trying to forget all about her... ;)

Rac80
July 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, but I'm trying to forget all about her... ;)

ah I see! ;)

McKaysZedPM
July 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM

Groosss....so was I. I ADORED Carson to the ends of the earth, and I actually sobbed at the end of "Sunday"! And now this twit comes along and just...egh. Next week's episode should be interesting though....

Arica12
July 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Groosss....so was I. I ADORED Carson to the ends of the earth, and I actually sobbed at the end of "Sunday"! And now this twit comes along and just...egh. Next week's episode should be interesting though....

Hey look on the bright side, she should be relatively quiet in next week's episode.