In defense of the Asurans/Ancients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In defense of the Asurans/Ancients

The Aurora's have been getting a lot of crap lately, due to there performance in BAMSR. Furthermore, the Asurans and the Ancients have been viewed by many lately as weak, in comparison to the Asgard in particular.

The Ancients - Examples of Warfare
    -----------------------------------
    In 'The Return - Part 2', Captain Helia is talking with Gen. O'Neill and Woosley, about there battle with wraith cruisers, saying that they overwhelmed them.

A wraith ship, every shot, shoots 2 plasma balls - 2 Round Burst.

An aurora is equipped with:

26x Plasma weapons, mounted around the ship
    Drone Platform - limited supply
    What I presume to be 1x Plasma Beam weapon, mounted on the right of the ship, looking from the rear.

A ships strength lies in its power generation, which in turn effects shield strength, weapon weapon, and sublight capabilities, etc. Every ship we have seen is built to a certain specification, ie Shield strength is 10, weapons are 5, and sublight is 7. However, power can be rerouted from systems not being used to systems that are 'screaming' for power. Example, if I'm not moving around, I can turn off my sublight engines and use the power for either shields or weapons.

The Aurora is a slow ship, however it houses a drone platform and 26 seperate plasma weapons, which are positioned to cover the entire ship. In warfare, ideally, your weapon would be self sustainable, ie you dont have to constantly reload - because eventually your gonna run out of ammo.

The BC-304 has ran out of rails and missiles, which render the ship vulnerable, despite its shield strength.

An Aurora can run out of drones. I bring this up because many people have argued that the Asurans didn't use enough drones during there battle.

At the beginning of the battle, the Asurans have 30 or so ships, the other 8 were destroyed during the previous week by the daedalus and apollo. We come into the fight with 2 BC-304's, 7 hiveships, and 5 traveler ships = 14 ships. 2:1 ration almost. Immediately after the fleet drops out of hyperspace, 4 Asuran ships are destroyed (from what we can see on screen). So now were down to 25 Auroras vs. Our 14 ships.

1 traveler ship is destroyed during the battle, by various swarms of drones. At this point in the battle, Col. Caldwell states that he doesn't know how much longer they can keep it up [the battle]. We see the hive ships take massive damage from the drones and plasma weapon fire from the aurora's. The asgard beam weapons gave us the leverage we needed, and I'll explain why:

When we first saw the beam weapons, it was during 'Unending'. Our first use of them proved very successful, but for 1 specific reason: Rate of Fire. When the usual weapons guy onboard the odyssey destroyed the first Ori battlecruiser, he fired 4 shots continuously, no pause between. This type of fire has the same effect as a sustained beam weapon (as seen in 'First Strike'). A shield can only be given so much power per second and in effect, has a certain recharge time. If this recharge time is interupted by weapons fire, the overall strength of the shield will drop and then rise again, due to the recharge power, but the overall recharge time has increased because of weapon's fire. When Col. Mitchell was firing on the Ori battlecruiser, he was doing it slow, spacing out each shot over time, which therefore gave the shields more time to recharge on the Ori ship.

Heres a perfect analogy: You have a tube with a top opening so that it can be filled with water, and a drain that uses the water in the tube. So I hook up a hose so that I can constantly refill my tube to 10 mL of water, since now I'm going to be using 2 mL of water every second. My hose also pumps in 2 mL of water, which keeps my tube at a constant 10 mL. If my hose is only capable of putting out 2 mL (power output for shields) to fill my 10 mL tube (full shield strength) then if my water consumption goes beyond 2 mL (weapon fire), which keeps the water lever constant its going to take more time for that same hose to refill my tube.

Now, given the beam weapons strength, and the 12 other ships that made up our fleet, we were able to 'shock' the Asuran's shields during that precious recharge time, which allowed us to overwhelm them.

Even so, not only did the daedalus state they couldn't keep it up much longer (due to inevitable low shield strength), the Apollo's Col. Ellis was about to have power from the beam weapons routed to..... presumably shields, it makes the most sense. It was also stated that the shields couldn't take much more of this, referring to the enemies weapon fire.

Back to the drones: When Sheppard is told to fire on an Aurora that is powering there hyperdrives, he fires drones in order to destroy the ship, and we see the ship launch drones to destroy our drones. From counting the drones on screen, Sheppard fired anywhere from 15-25 drones, of which 5 or so actually impacted the Aurora, which was enough to destroy it. As I mentioned above, various swarms of drones destroyed the travelers ship (10-15 drones).

The only time we've seen drones launched in a large swarm is when we, the earthlings, have used drone weapons. The ancients/asurans know better: there not gonna throw all there cards on the table (fire all there drones, or a huge portion of them) to destroy a ship they know can be destroyed with far less. As I stated - an aurora has 26 plasma weapons mounted on it, and as I also mentioned about power specifications, its very very likely that power consumption has been calculated and accounted for when the Ancients designed the power system/source for the ship. We know the Aurora's shield is fairly strong, which would also be accounted for in the power specifications.

And keep in mind, if the nanites hadn't been attracted to the mass on the surface of the planet, we would of been screwed. We didn't go into this battle to kick there asses with our ships - we sent our ships to keep the enemy ships busy while we turn them into a blob of nanites and then blow it up. At the end of the battle, when the fleet jumps back into hyperspace before the planet blows us, I counted 12+ Asuran ships still in orbit, which look to be undamaged.

If anything, we're lucky we only lost 1 ship, the travelers ship.

And thats my story.

uh see the battle report on season 4 thread its results are different. A hive was destroyed in the same scene the Travelers Aurora killed the other one, 2 ships in the same scene destroyed by drones with out a doubt. The Prebattle and post battle assesment in the season 4 is backed up by the end scene with the retreat.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
      uh see the battle report on season 4 thread its results are different. A hive was destroyed in the same scene the Travelers Aurora killed the other one, 2 ships in the same scene destroyed by drones with out a doubt. The Prebattle and post battle assesment in the season 4 is backed up by the end scene with the retreat.
      wtf are you talking about?

and what retreat? the entire fleet jumped into hyperspace to avoid being vaporized along with the planet....

Comment

and that in a way is a retreat, well they werent being chased but they were running for their lives.

Comment

and that in a way is a retreat, well they werent being chased but they were running for their lives.

a) Them destroying the planet was there way of destroying the replicators. In either scenario, whether they used the ZPM overload or the method that was used in the end, the planet was going to blow up regardless. There's no point in staying there to be vaporized with your enemy. It would of been stupid to stick around...

re·treat /r??trit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-treet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
          –noun
          1. the forced or strategic withdrawal of an army or an armed force before an enemy, or the withdrawing of a naval force from action.
          At the time of there 'retreat', there enemy was destroyed.

b) did you even read my thread or wait, let me guess... its too long.

Comment

This is the link to the battle report
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=49999

However I disagree with you, the Asurans were retreating back to their homeoworld because of an unknown threat so why would they not use everything they got

Also where did you get the count for 26 "plasma" cannons (when were they mentioned as plasma also)
            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            So whats the worst that could happen?
            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
              This is the link to the battle report
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=49999

However I disagree with you, the Asurans were retreating back to their homeoworld because of an unknown threat so why would they not use everything they got

Also where did you get the count for 26 "plasma" cannons (when were they mentioned as plasma also)
              different 'retreat', we were, well 2ndgenerationalteran was saying that the non replicator fleet was retreating right before the planet blew up. Your talking about the initial retreat the Asurans did after the 1 week of us destroying 7 of there ships.

If you have various screen shots of the aurora, as well as images of the aurora model used in the show, you can count up how many plasma weapons are mounted around the hull. I counted 26, pretty sure I didnt miss any. The weapons fire is a yellow, similar to the color/glow of the drones when active. You cant miss them, there used a lot by the Asuran fleet.

And we never actually saw the 1 hive ship blow up, all we see is various shots of hive ships taking massive amounts of damage. I will note that on the hyperspace jump, before the planet blows up, you can only count 6 hive ships entering hyperspace, which implies that 1 hive ship was destroyed, but its still no proof, we just dont see it. 5 Traveler ships are also seen entering hyperspace, along with our 2 304's. This is actually funny because we dont see the Aurora jump into hyperspace before the planet blows up, which, based on your logic, implies that it was destroyed - however, we see the ship in the next scene.

Comment

fine i should have used "pulled out" its not a huge difference, this isn't a vocabulary class.

Comment

fine i should have used "pulled out" its not a huge difference, this isn't a vocabulary class.
                  tru, but given that this is an internet forum were people rely on words to communicate, it does become important to choose your words wisely.

Words have more power then we realize, often our choice of words is the greatest effect we have over people when trying to convey a message.

Example (and this experiment was actually done). A group of people were shown the same video of a car driving by (actual speed we'll say is 20 mph). One person was told the car was moving slow, another was told the car was cruising, another was told the car was accelerating, etc. Depending on what word was used to describe the speed of the car, each person gave a different speed, despite the car in the video traveling at a set 20 mph.

Remember, we use words to help paint a picture in our mind on what is going on. 'Pulled out' in my opinion, paints the image of a fleet slowly withdrawing form the battle field. 'Retreat' paints the image of the fleet quickly withdrawing from the battle, probably under overwhelming fire from the enemy.

Not trying to be a pain in the ass, I just felt like sharing how words can be very powerful when communicating with people.

Comment

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
                    And we never actually saw the 1 hive ship blow up, all we see is various shots of hive ships taking massive amounts of damage. I will note that on the hyperspace jump, before the planet blows up, you can only count 6 hive ships entering hyperspace, which implies that 1 hive ship was destroyed, but its still no proof, we just dont see it. 5 Traveler ships are also seen entering hyperspace, along with our 2 304's. This is actually funny because we dont see the Aurora jump into hyperspace before the planet blows up, which, based on your logic, implies that it was destroyed - however, we see the ship in the next scene.
                    What happened to that hive will be revealed in 'Spoils of War'...

Spoiler:
                    It wasn't destroyed... it is part of the 'Spoils' mentioned in the title...

Comment

The beam weapon you referred to is probably a communications array.
                      sigpic

Comment

The Auroras had weak shields. Other Ancient shields like the one on Proclarush Teonas could take more punishment. The Aurora shield could only last around 3 seconds against lava. The Teonas shield seems to have lasted long enough for the lava to form a shell around the outpost.
                        sigpic

Comment

While we I wouldn't call what we did retreating since we would be blowing ourselves up without own bomb if we stayed, but had the planet not been about to blow we would have ended up having to retreat in every sense of the word.

The really long winded argument as already been posted in the season 4 'BAMSR' forum, so I'll keep it short.

Even though there were 30 enemy Auroras, we didn't engage them all. Some, probably around 10, would have be positioned in orbit so they could not engage us in the time the battle took, 2-3 minutes.

We were taking heavy damage at the end as stated by Ellis and our shields, shown damage of hives and an apparent hive kill since it also only showed 6 hives leaving via hyperspace. The travelers ships don't really count, they were cannon fodder anyway.

So, to conclude. We destroyed approx 4-5 ships with 2-3 coming in the opening salvo. Any ships positioned out of range to engage us would not need more then 3-5 minutes to get into range. So if we keep fighting were still facing 2 on 1 since its roughly 25 on 13 and we've already taken heavy damage. Retreat is the only option. Luckily for Atlantis, winning a straight on battle was never the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehecatl View Post
                            The Aurora shield could only last around 3 seconds against lava.
                            I thought that that was because the Orion had very little power left. It had been involved in a battle.
                            sigpic
                            If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
                            I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Comment

also the travelers aura owning a rplicator aura implies that the origonals are better than the coppies and the replicator ships where built verry fast that can't be good for quality

and asurans do not have the ATA gene like shepard has hence they cant use the tech as efectively. like how when becket or rodey uses it with gene therapy it isn't as good as shepard or oneil who have the actual gene

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Working...
                              X