PDA

View Full Version : The Polar Express

JediTrilobite
October 12th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Has anyone here read the book? Awesome book that was read to me as a child, now being made into a movie. Has anyone seen the trailers for that yet?

DownFallAngel
October 12th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Yea, tis gunna be a CGI movie, like toy story, but about the polar express.

How can they turn this into a 2 hour movie? Its like a 10 page book!

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I'm surprised no one has b****ed and moaned and screamed themselves into a bloody froth over the fact that at least one of the Polar Express commercials is using music from Stargate. :eek: Isn't that one of the Seven Deadly Sins?? :P

Looks good. I'm getting a bit tired of Tom Hanks, but I liked the book.

DownFallAngel
October 12th, 2004, 06:27 PM
We wasted all that energy on Sky Captain and the world of suck.

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I want someone's eyeballs to explode because they're screaming so loudly over Polar Express "stealing" the theme from Stargate! :P I mean, I'm sure a few people gave themselves an apoplexy over the Sky Captain thing, so why no outrage over Polar Express?

NightGloom
October 12th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Hmm... I must be the only one that thinks it's kinda cool that they're using music from Stargate. It's fun I can jump up and yell "THAT'S FROM STARGATE!" and everyone will look at me like I'm nuts.

So... Polar Express... I think it could be pretty good. I usually like the CGI stuff.

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I always think it's kinda fun when I recognise the Stargate theme somewhere else... or music from OTHER movies promoting... er... other movies. I think I've only occasionally been annoyed by it. Usually I'm too busy being amazed by the fact that I know where that's from! :D

NightGloom
October 12th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I think I would be annoyed if it was promoting a bad movie or a commercial for toilet bowl cleaner or something like that, but usually I'm happy because it feels like I know something that other people don't (for once ;) )

JediTrilobite
October 13th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Actually, Sky Captain also took the Stargate theme, which my brother and I found hilarious.

Slainey
October 13th, 2004, 05:55 AM
It would be better if I could stand Chris Van Allsburg style of illustration. I find it very cold and think it's a little ironic that it would be transfered into CGI.

KayMan2k
October 13th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Actually, Sky Captain also took the Stargate theme, which my brother and I found hilarious.

Ugh... These movies are just using it in their coming attractions. ALL movies do this because typically their own soundtrack has been completed. We should be HONORED as SG fans that other Hollywood productions have chosen this excellent theme! Trust me, MGM gets their royalties.... which I bet SG production never sees a dime of.

LoneStar1836
October 14th, 2004, 12:25 AM
I'm surprised no one has b****ed and moaned and screamed themselves into a bloody froth over the fact that at least one of the Polar Express commercials is using music from Stargate. :eek: Isn't that one of the Seven Deadly Sins?? :P

Looks good. I'm getting a bit tired of Tom Hanks, but I liked the book.
How dare they use our beloved Stargate music on this crappy movie. No one but Stargate may partake in the playing of that sacred music. I am outraged beyond belief, and I haven't seen the commercial with the music. It makes my blood boil! :P ;)

Yeah, too much Tom is not a good thing. It's like over saturating the market with a product and thus its value goes down. He needs to take a break and be pickier when choosing his roles. The last few don't seem to have been that good.

About the movie. Never read the book, don’t plan on seeing the movie until like 5 years from now when it makes it to basic cable and it’s free and then I still may not watch. I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't interest me.

ShadowMaat
October 14th, 2004, 04:35 AM
How dare they use our beloved Stargate music on this crappy movie. No one but Stargate may partake in the playing of that sacred music. I am outraged beyond belief, and I haven't seen the commercial with the music. It makes my blood boil! :P ;)
Thank you. I feel better now. ;)

KM- I learned all about previews re-using music a long time ago. Unfortunately, no one ever listens no matter how carefully, how patiently and how link-y your explanations are. *sigh*

LoneStar1836
October 14th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Thank you. I feel better now. ;)
You’re welcome. And I’m still in a frothy rage about such sacrilege. :D I never should have read this thread to learn of such desecration of the sacred theme.

puddlejumper747
October 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Yea, I just saw that trailer a few minutes ago, and I almost didn't believe what I was hearing! I mean, usually this kind of thing is inserted as backround music, but there was just so much of it, and it was so obvious... but I guess it still works out just fine... :) (and I'm glad I used the SEARCH button this time... I almost just posted a seperate thread about this in the General Discussion Forum!) :eek:

BTW, where and in which Sky Captain Trailer did they use Stargate music? Because the ones I've seen either don't have it, or I'm just not recognizing it when I hear it... :confused:

JediTrilobite
October 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM
It's one of the earlier ones. I think that I saw it on the Timeline DVD.

ShadowMaat
October 15th, 2004, 07:25 PM
PJ- it was in almost all of the earlier ones and you can't miss it. When the udajeets or B-2 Bombers or whatever they are are flying in the previews, it's the battle-type music from the original score.

The SG theme was also used in a preview or two of Time Machine. And probably a billion other things. Like someone (or a lot of people said), it's a popular piece and despite the tendency of certain fan types to pop a blood vessel at the thought of such sacrilege (:P) it really IS very common.

From the FilmScoreMonthly.com (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/features/FAQ1.asp) FAQ (and a big w00t! to Lukas, whom I actually know):

Q: What was the music I heard in a trailer to an upcoming film?

A: Motion picture trailers today are almost always produced independent of the actual films they are advertising. Certain pieces of music have become very popular amongst these trailer production companies for their ability to "sell" a movie and convey a lot of emotion in a short period of time -- hence they are frequently used in trailers to unrelated pictures.

Film scores like Come See the Paradise, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, Rudy and Hoffa -- and classical pieces like the ubiquitous "O Fortuna!" from Carmina Burana -- are several notable examples of pieces of music which have been taken out of their original context and used over and over for different marketing campaigns.

puddlejumper747
October 16th, 2004, 10:25 AM
PJ- it was in almost all of the earlier ones and you can't miss it. When the udajeets or B-2 Bombers or whatever they are are flying in the previews, it's the battle-type music from the original score.
OK... well, I guess I just don't recognize it then. Which track on the original soundtrack did it come from? :confused:

Never mind... I found it! It's on the TEASER, not the TRAILER. Big difference, huh? Ok, thanks! :D