Stargates an ecological nightmare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargates an ecological nightmare?

In the real world human travel can give a great impact to local ecology by introduction of flora, fauna, viruses and bacteria.

Looking at the Ancients' mistakes, Stargate travel is an ecological nightmare waiting to happen.

1. The plague which wiped out life in the MW galaxy. (But in the Pegasus it seems they wisen up a bit adding biofilters to the stargates.)

2. The spread of human populations in the Pegasus galaxy lead to the evolution of the Wraith.

3. The Goauld would not have become a threat if they did not leave their world.

This was dealt with early on, in series two 'one false step'. The explaination was that as Humans are everywhere any way most of the microorganisms are similar to our own.

Comment

Originally posted by RedWolf View Post
      In the real world human travel can give a great impact to local ecology by introduction of flora, fauna, viruses and bacteria.

Looking at the Ancients' mistakes, Stargate travel is an ecological nightmare waiting to happen.

1. The plague which wiped out life in the MW galaxy. (But in the Pegasus it seems they wisen up a bit adding biofilters to the stargates.)

2. The spread of human populations in the Pegasus galaxy lead to the evolution of the Wraith.

How do you know they have biofilters? I've never heard anything of that. I know they have atmospheric filters but thats it.
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Claw View Post
        This was dealt with early on, in series two 'one false step'. The explaination was that as Humans are everywhere any way most of the microorganisms are similar to our own.
        I think that was a little bit too convenient on the part of the writers. Anyway they kinda contradicted themselves in season 6 when Nirti had Jonas in that Ancient gene manipulator thing. She said how living on another planet for so long his people have changed some compared to Earth humans. However the shows are called Stargate SG-1/Atlantis not Stargate Epidemic.

Comment

everyone uses the stargate all the time, the microorganism would be spreal all over the place. to the point their not dangerous as our bodies become accustomed to them, in te begining this was probably an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
            How do you know they have biofilters? I've never heard anything of that. I know they have atmospheric filters but thats it.
            I think your right I got mixed up in remember.

Season 4 episode Tabula Rasa Atlantis' system would only screen known dangerous viruses.

The virus that hit Earth born humans did not have a immunity to a virus.

Comment

Well the only way place I can percieve a problem is in the PG. Since we can get their diseases they should be able to get ours.

But I doubt they could get the plauge unless we have a stange habit of carrying small rodents with us through the gate.

Comment

Given that most planets the goa'uld moved Humans to have naquadah you would have though that there biochemistry would have altered to include the element, as would all life on the planet. Given Earth doesn't have any you would have though those micro-organisms affecting us would not have been able to interact complete with off-world bugs.

If a protein requires amino acid with naquadah in them Earth bio chemistry wouldn't support them.

Also do agree with you SP90, it was a quick fix to a long term story problem, the plot hole is avoided ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by SP90 View Post
                  I think that was a little bit too convenient on the part of the writers. Anyway they kinda contradicted themselves in season 6 when Nirti had Jonas in that Ancient gene manipulator thing. She said how living on another planet for so long his people have changed some compared to Earth humans. However the shows are called Stargate SG-1/Atlantis not Stargate Epidemic.
                  Because like Earth and a few other planets (Euronda, Bedrosia/Optrica, Rand Protactorate/Caledonia and Earth) had their gates buried and weren't affected the same way as 90% of the rest of the galaxies' planets were.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by RedWolf View Post

Kind of saying things after the fact aren't you? If we're doing that then we should go back several hundred years and sink the ships of Magellan and Columbus.

No one knows how the future will play out.
                    It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                      everyone uses the stargate all the time, the microorganism would be spreal all over the place. to the point their not dangerous as our bodies become accustomed to them, in te begining this was probably an issue.
                      That could work for planets where Stargate travel was a regular routine. However, Earth has been isolated from the gate network for thousands of years, and viruses and bacteria mutate fast.
                      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Opener View Post
                        Kind of saying things after the fact aren't you? If we're doing that then we should go back several hundred years and sink the ships of Magellan and Columbus.

No one knows how the future will play out.
                        The Ancients had a Time Jumper. They could go back and undo the Wraith if they so chose.
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

But they didn't because even the Ancients couldn't master time travel. Sure, they can go back and forth, but even they couldn't tell what all the effects would be. That's why they didn't let Weir go back to her own time in Before I Sleep, they didn't want to damage to timeline.

Besides, taking out the Wraith could create a time paradox, the results of which could start a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to their own galaxy.
                          It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                          --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Working...
                          X