Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replicator fusion

SPOILER ALERT

yes, i realize its a tv show, but i wanted to know if anyone knew whether or not what happened in the episode "all my sins be remember'd" was feasible. they had the replicator mass sink to the core of the planet, where the pressure of the planet made the replicator mass undergo a fusion reaction. Does anyone know whether or not the pressure of the entire planet is enough to start a fusion reaction?

there was a scientist who proposed that fission occurs at the center of the earth because of the pressure conditions, but it seems like most scientists don't buy into the idea. and it seems that the idea of fusion seems even more unlikely...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georeactor

i think fusion is more likely than fission so yeah

Comment

Originally posted by ijffdrie View Post
      i think fusion is more likely than fission so yeah
      The conditions for fusion are much harsher than the conditions for fission. We can create fission on earth relatively easily but we can't really get a good fusion reaction. I don't think that fusion is likely because it takes huge forces acting on it, but if the were to artificially increase them than it would possibly be possible.
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles17 View Post
        SPOILER ALERT

yes, i realize its a tv show, but i wanted to know if anyone knew whether or not what happened in the episode "all my sins be remember'd" was feasible. they had the replicator mass sink to the core of the planet, where the pressure of the planet made the replicator mass undergo a fusion reaction. Does anyone know whether or not the pressure of the entire planet is enough to start a fusion reaction?

there was a scientist who proposed that fission occurs at the center of the earth because of the pressure conditions, but it seems like most scientists don't buy into the idea. and it seems that the idea of fusion seems even more unlikely...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georeactor
        Georeactor is an interesting theory, but it requires a crucial element: a high concentration of radioactive elements so there's a perpetual chain reaction. This could only happen in the core, where crucia heavier isotopes could be located.

But neutronium is nothing like that. If anything, the mass of neutronium, being nothing more than strong fictionnal metal, would have, in fact, totally killed any reaction there could be in that planet.
        Besides, there's not enough neutronium anyway, that blob (ridiculously small for what it was supposed to be) sank way too slowly to ever reach any region near the core in time, and that whole thing is bull****.

It's, again, how to blow up an enemy with a deus ex machina. Well, they actually several of them in that episode, Fran (not the nanny) being another one.

Dear laptop, please synthetize a DEM.
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
        X