EMP as a weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMP as a weapon?

We have the technology to send a directional EMP pulse, right? Why can't we use that to knock out other race's ships? I know that it may not affect certain technologies, but surely it's an idea to be considered. As I understand it, the pulse wouldn't affect the sending ship, but it would instantly knock out the systems of the recieving ship. Would it get past the shield?

Also, the Wraith could use it to knock out the Earth ships. It wouldn't affect their ships (I think) because they're organic.

An EM Pulse is not directed, it is used as a radial attack, for one. I do not believe it is possible to use it like a laser weapon.

Secondly, and EM pulse affects ALL electronic systems. This means you would have to turn of all electronic systems before firing it. This includes shields.

Now, it is possible to shield electronic systems from an EM Pulse, but the process is costly, and would require making a bigger ship to make room for the material shielding the systems. Other systems may not even be a ble to be shielded.

Basically, shutting down your shields would be required for the use of a EM Pulse. And I think it can be agreed upon that that is a bad idea.
    The Stargate staff sing the little known lyrics to the stargate theme.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CqDE8kocoTI

Comment

and in the first season, they explained that the ancient technology is resiliant to emp.

Comment

Originally posted by striker7770 View Post
        and in the first season, they explained that the ancient technology is resiliant to emp.
        What about the Ancients' EMP in Childhood's End? It disabled Ancient technology. MAybe it was more powerful.
        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

The EMP in the season 6 episode "Redemption" (forget whether it was part 1 or 2) was directional. I don't mean "we" as in the real world humans, I mean in the series; just like how "we" have the technology to open a hyperspace window.

The Ancient's EMP also knocked out wraith tech. Surely the Ancients could have either sent a directional EMP, or shielded their ships from them. I wonder why they didn't use it to knock out wraith ships when they were attacking Atlantis... or at any other time for that matter. If they set off a small one in orbit, it would have knocked out the ships without affecting the city.

Comment

its much easier to make a emp missile then fire it and when it gets close it starts emitting a field of emp disabling there ship
            Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
            Anime signature in spoiler tag
            Spoiler:
            Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

An EMP would affect the sending ship if the technology is not "immune". To come to think of it only low level tech would be affected so all of our enemies should be immune. But even to try would leave us completely dead in space for a significant ammount of time. Even in Redemption they shut down the electronics while the used the EMP.
              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
              X