Plasma not Ion Weapons on the 304

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma not Ion Weapons on the 304

I always thought that the Asgard used Ion weapons but I guess they use Plasma weapons as McKay said "New got those new Asgard Plasma Beam Weapons"

so I guess the only race that has Ion weapons is the Tollan
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

im glad about that too, no more LAZRS talk. its sealed for good.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
      im glad about that too, no more LAZRS talk. its sealed for good.
      Me too
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I was incredibly happy that McKay stated what kind of energy the weapons were made up of. The Asgard never had ion weapons, only the Tollan. I think we can safely assume that most races energy weapons, Goa'uld, Ori, Wraith, Travelers, Asgard, Ancient/Lantean and now Earth used plasma-based weapons and not ion technology.

Vala,

Comment

He was wrong. The Asgard have always used ion technology and plasma weapons have never been proven to have signicantly large yields to be able to cause the kinds of damage it has seen. I mean the Ori cannon was a plasma cannon but that was a wide area massive fire ball. Unless the Asgard used a very different kind of weapons system to any other plasma weapon seen so far. And then condensed that in to very very dense beams then i cant see how they are plasma based.
          I mean we had this debate in the fleet, plasma weapons such as the goauld are capable of 200MT yield. Now even if the Asgard's best plasma weapons are 10x more powerful thats only 2GT, if the beam version makes them 5x as powerful per shot that 10GT yeild. (in fleet terms that the type 4) ... Hmm the asgard could have created them but would they be powerful enough and would our reactors be able to power them. It does go against the Asgard tech based a heck of alot.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Maybe Ion were the old thing, and Asgard made the most advance weapons to be plasma. I'm sure they had Ion cannons on the O'Neill. But the weapons they gave to Oddy are plasma as they probably are their best weaposn yet. We sow that the O'Neill weapons had no effect on the Ori motherships, it would of been stupid if they gave Humans weapons that are uneffective against the Ori.

sigpic

Comment

Plasma is ionized gas: Ion based stuff.
              Plasma weapons are ion weapons.
              Considering that ion weapons never looked to be anything but blobs of gas, it's all the same to me.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                Plasma is ionized gas: Ion based stuff.
                Plasma weapons are ion weapons.
                Considering that ion weapons never looked to be anything but blobs of gas, it's all the same to me.
                very good point, plasma is just ionised gas, so whenever you had thor or rodney or sam describing an energy weapon it could have been either way, two interchangable terms. i think that puts this discussion to bed, so lets smuther it with a pillow!

Comment

all i want to know is why were the beams a different colour.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

They were blue both times.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                      He was wrong. The Asgard have always used ion technology and plasma weapons have never been proven to have signicantly large yields to be able to cause the kinds of damage it has seen. I mean the Ori cannon was a plasma cannon but that was a wide area massive fire ball. Unless the Asgard used a very different kind of weapons system to any other plasma weapon seen so far. And then condensed that in to very very dense beams then i cant see how they are plasma based.
                      I mean we had this debate in the fleet, plasma weapons such as the goauld are capable of 200MT yield. Now even if the Asgard's best plasma weapons are 10x more powerful thats only 2GT, if the beam version makes them 5x as powerful per shot that 10GT yeild. (in fleet terms that the type 4) ... Hmm the asgard could have created them but would they be powerful enough and would our reactors be able to power them. It does go against the Asgard tech based a heck of alot.
                      No he wasn't, you're wrong. They've never said the Asgard used ion cannons, and I wish you'd stop with "ion technology," ion engines, ion cannons, and neutrino ion generators are totally different. Plasma weapons have the ability to have the same yields as ion cannons assuming the design is just as efficient and they are provided with the same amount of power. Our reactors could power plasma weapons just as good as ion cannons, and I don't see how it goes against their tech base. I'm glad we have confirmation from the show that they aren't ion cannons.

Comment

Plasma is, as stated above, ionized gas. But, the name may be from seperate forms of CREATING that plasma

when stating "plasma" it may imply that you use simple brute force by utilizing energy to excite the electrons up to a higher orbital level (energy level) that they are not supposed to be on or something to that effect.

"Ion" may refer to the use of seperate electrons being added on to the atoms of gas to excite matter into plasma.
                        The Stargate staff sing the little known lyrics to the stargate theme.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CqDE8kocoTI

Comment

ion refers to shooting normal ions and plasma refers to the hot gas. thats what i think.

Comment

An ion is simply a atom with more or less electrons than the amount of protons present in it. what you said has very little scientific basis. but hey, I'm no Carter either. since plasma IS ionized gas, I figure Ion technology grabs ions out the air, bonds them with an element, and uses the excess energy present from the transfer of electrons to power whatever it's trying to do.

Damn. I'm only 15. does this sound like something carter would say?
                            The Stargate staff sing the little known lyrics to the stargate theme.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CqDE8kocoTI

Comment

no. and im 15 too. im doing the highest possible education for a normal teenager. gymnasium. but anyway.

shepphard:
                              whats the difference?
                              carter:
                              an ion cannon shoots a bolt of compressed ions. energy is trapped within. on impact, the energy is released in milliseconds. the bolt of ions delivers a powerfull impact too.
                              mckay:
                              plasma weapons compress and ionize gas to plasma state, and on impact, the energy is released as heat energy. the bolt dissapates on impact spreading the blast.
                              carter:
                              our plasma beam weapons fire a beam of hot plasma. the content of a beam of plasma is greater than a bolt, and releases more energy on a small area. the energy inside the plasma manifestates itself as heat energy, unlike ion cannons wich release it as pure energy.

Comment

Working...
                              X