Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do we know about real space?

Hello everyone,

We all like to analyze Stargate universe. Therefore, I was wondering how much do we know about the universe up there behind the window. So here is a little game. Below there are 6 simple questions. It is not necessary to give the answers. Just think if you know the answers without looking into Wikipedia or any books and write which of those points are true in your case. Enjoy:

1. I know the approximate distance from the Earth to the Moon (in miles or kilometers).
    2. I could give names of all planets in the Solar System in the right order.
    3. I know what causes solar and lunar eclipses.
    4. I can recognize constellations in the sky.
    5. I know the names of the nearest stars and galaxies.
    6. I have looked through a telescope at least once.

Spoiler:

1. 100,000 miles-ish
    2. Mercuary, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturen(sp), Uranus(sp), Neptune
    3.Sun and Moon lining up
    4. Can't really answer this.. but yes
    5. Andromeda(sp) .. Don't know star
    6. yep

Go Green

Comment

1.no
      2.no
      3.yes
      4.some
      5.no
      6.yes
      Not very good.
      But I have made a simulation that calculates huge masses movement and their gravitational interaction in free space using REAL(as far as modern physics understand them) gravitation and movement formulas. And I have a partially ready simulation of spaceship thrusters their forces and their caused acceleration and rotational acceleration again with REAL(as far as modern physics understand them) acceleration and momentum formulas. There are so many simulations out in the web that use formulas that make them look good and I got some of my schools lessons free by makeing these. I can upload and post a link to the first one if someone is intrested.

Comment

Spoiler:

1. Dont know the number, but incredibly small when you consider how vast space is.
        2. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.
        3. The moon in front of the sun causes solar and the Earth in front of the moon causes lunar.
        4. Only the big dipper and orion.
        5. Andromeda, two Pegasus dwarf galaxies, and some galaxies like M31 or some other arrangement of a letter and numbers. The nearest star is Alpha Centauri.
        6. Yes.

Comment

So is this is a game, shouln't this be in the games section?

Comment

Originally posted by teleskop View Post
            Hello everyone,

We all like to analyze Stargate universe. Therefore, I was wondering how much do we know about the universe up there behind the window. So here is a little game. Below there are 6 simple questions. It is not necessary to give the answers. Just think if you know the answers without looking into Wikipedia or any books and write which of those points are true in your case. Enjoy:

1. I know the approximate distance from the Earth to the Moon (in miles or kilometers).
            1: yes
            2 yes
            3 no
            4 no
            5 yes
            6 yes

Comment

Spoiler:
              1. Don't know
              2. Mecuary, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
              3. The sun and the moon being in orbital alignment
              4. I know around 2 to 3
              5. I know of Alpha Centari around 4 lightyears from earth. for galaxies I know of The Large and Small Mangelic Clouds, satellite galaxies of our own and Andromeda, a galaxy on a collision course with our own
              6. I own a telescope of my own

Comment

1yes
                yes
                yes
                some
                yes
                yes
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Hello everyone,

1. 100,000 km. around not sure
                  2. Mercury, Venus,Earth, Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Eris, Pluto, Xena(just the nickname of the last planet I forgot what was the real name I remember the nickname they gave it. The planetoid was named after the Roman Goddess of Lawlessness I think lol)
                  3. Solar-Moon moving in front of the sun blocking sunlight also perfect alining of Sun, Moon, Earth
                  Lunar- Earth moving in front of the Moon blocking sun light towards it.
                  4. Some not all
                  5. Nearest star- Alpha Ce Tauri (sp)
                  Nearest galaxy- Andromeda
                  6. Nope not yet.
                  Last edited by tainor; 01 January 2008, 02:15 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I know all of them.

1. 240,000 miles
                    2. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune. No Pluto because that is a "dwarf" planet.
                    3. Solar Eclipse: Moon is directly between the Earth and Sun.
                    Lunar Eclipse: Earth is directly between Sun and Moon.
                    4. Yes, Orion, Big Dipper, Little Dipper, Scorpio, that swan one.
                    5. Stars: Sun (), Alpha Centuria, Ross 128, Wolf 349, Beatelguse.
                    Galaxy: Pegasus, Andromada.
                    6: Yep, I own one.

Comment

Working...
                    X