This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Assault Teams

I've been wondering why the Wraith never used Dart assault teams like they did at the end of the first season to try to take over the Daedalus. Capturing the Daedalus and her crew would be easier than trying to take Atlantis and result in information to the location of Earth. All they need to do is beam some elite warriors over. Transport the prisoners over to a hive and bingo. The beaming tech should work since the Daedalus beaming tech works with the shields up. What does everyone think?
    sigpic

There's a general assumption that shields would block culling beams but I don't think it's ever actually been proven either way.

Comment

Well shields block asgard beams so most likely it blocks wraith culls
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

if they did manage to get on our ship we can beam them into space
        Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
        Anime signature in spoiler tag
        Spoiler:
        Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
          if they did manage to get on our ship we can beam them into space
          Unless they block it somehow and knowing the TPTB they will or the team wont even think of doing it
          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
          A Face you Can Trust
          sigpic
          So whats the worst that could happen?
          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
            Well shields block asgard beams so most likely it blocks wraith culls
            Also, depending on how far out from the hull the shields extend, it would be difficult to get close enough in a dart to deploy the teams.

Unless they block it somehow and knowing the TPTB they will or the team wont even think of doing it
            Adapting your ship's shields to prevent something from beaming in is one thing, but adapting your soldiers so that they can't be beamed out is another entirely.

The MW human-form Replicators could do it, but they were made of nanites. Could the Wraith develop technology to jam the beaming technology and miniaturize it sufficiently so that it could be carried on every member of the assault team and not be too much of a burden to carry around?

Comment

i dont see how they can block it unless they bring a jamming device on board O_o
              Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
              Anime signature in spoiler tag
              Spoiler:
              Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                Also, depending on how far out from the hull the shields extend, it would be difficult to get close enough in a dart to deploy the teams.

Adapting your ship's shields to prevent something from beaming in is one thing, but adapting your soldiers so that they can't be beamed out is another entirely.

The MW human-form Replicators could do it, but they were made of nanites. Could the Wraith develop technology to jam the beaming technology and miniaturize it sufficiently so that it could be carried on every member of the assault team and not be too much of a burden to carry around?
                Even the SGC has beam jamming tech running 24/7 to prevent the gate from being stolen again so the Wraith could probably come up with similar.

If you can breech the shield to beam guys in though you're already past the point where beaming guys in is a good idea. Beam in a bunch of tranquilizer gas or 1000 stun grenades instead.

Comment

shields create some kinda EM field existing out of multiple types. on human ships there are two emitter: in the front and in the back. both work on a different frequency. when the two meet you get a very powerfull shield. adding new frequencys to the shield alters its capability. using the beam jamming frequency on a oneway shield makes it jam one way. also i think their own beaming tech is an exeption: they beam on a different frequency so they can get through.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                    There's a general assumption that shields would block culling beams but I don't think it's ever actually been proven either way.
                    I see this as a faulty assumption seeing as how the Daedalus and all other ships of the class beam through their shields during battles all of time. So beaming tech can get through. You probably just need the right shield frequency to defeat it.
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't think culling beams can actually penetrate physical things like a hull or something. Everytime we have seen the Wraith use their darts to transport down, its always been an open field. Not when there was some kind of cieling or wall in their path. And while culling beams are cool and all; they arent Asgard style teleporters.

And I think beaming through shields requires one to know the frequency of said shield. Not sure if I made that up or if it was mentioned on the show.

As for Wraith being beamed away, I think the Wraith are quite capable of making implants that send out a jamming field to prevent being beamed away...

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
                        I don't think culling beams can actually penetrate physical things like a hull or something. Everytime we have seen the Wraith use their darts to transport down, its always been an open field. Not when there was some kind of cieling or wall in their path. And while culling beams are cool and all; they arent Asgard style teleporters.

And I think beaming through shields requires one to know the frequency of said shield. Not sure if I made that up or if it was mentioned on the show.

As for Wraith being beamed away, I think the Wraith are quite capable of making implants that send out a jamming field to prevent being beamed away...

Yeah that's what I said a frequency would be needed. But you make a good point that we have never seen it beam through objects. Which means that it needs a directed uninterupted energy stream unlike the Asgard beams. If they can't beam through objects then the whole assault team idea is basically thrown out the window. But I find this a good argument as to why we haven't seen it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
                          I see this as a faulty assumption seeing as how the Daedalus and all other ships of the class beam through their shields during battles all of time. So beaming tech can get through. You probably just need the right shield frequency to defeat it.
                          If it is a frequency issue (the shields "flicker" on and off a few times a second) then a culling beam should be able to get partially through.

I wouldn't want to try beaming anyone in that way but trying to tear some holes in the Daedalus' hull is another matter entirely.

We know from people being abducted with guns and cloths on them that the beam can dissasemble inanimate matter, even metals. It should in theory be an extremely dangerous weapon if used in this manner, a sort of disintigration beam that wouldn't even need to store the material, just destroy it like a normal beam does before storing it. Wraith culling beams are basically the same technology as the asguard disintigrator beam that they don't seem to use anymore.

So basically if shields have a frequency (was there ever any dialog about shield frequencies ala startrek?) then some of the culling beam should leak through the shield when it flickers off and reach the hull. That should be sufficient to cause damage. If the shields are gone entirely culling beams should be able to open up a bare hull like a thanksgiving turkey. There's no reason why they shouldn't, not that it'll ever actually happen mind you.

It's also interesting to note that frequency based shields might explain how ships can take damage even when the shields are up. Some of the bolt or whatever leaks through the gaps in the frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                            If it is a frequency issue (the shields "flicker" on and off a few times a second) then a culling beam should be able to get partially through.

I wouldn't want to try beaming anyone in that way but trying to tear some holes in the Daedalus' hull is another matter entirely.

We know from people being abducted with guns and cloths on them that the beam can dissasemble inanimate matter, even metals. It should in theory be an extremely dangerous weapon if used in this manner, a sort of disintigration beam that wouldn't even need to store the material, just destroy it like a normal beam does before storing it. Wraith culling beams are basically the same technology as the asguard disintigrator beam that they don't seem to use anymore.

So basically if shields have a frequency (was there ever any dialog about shield frequencies ala startrek?) then some of the culling beam should leak through the shield when it flickers off and reach the hull. That should be sufficient to cause damage. If the shields are gone entirely culling beams should be able to open up a bare hull like a thanksgiving turkey. There's no reason why they shouldn't, not that it'll ever actually happen mind you.

It's also interesting to note that frequency based shields might explain how ships can take damage even when the shields are up. Some of the bolt or whatever leaks through the gaps in the frequency.
                            ooooo, I like the way you think!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X